Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3044621 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #18140 on: July 19, 2023, 01:26:00 pm »
Yeah, not like me to do this either, my cheap Romanian soul cried but I couldn't anymore.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #18141 on: July 19, 2023, 01:41:39 pm »
I've been debating changing out the tires on the Crosstrek. They're fine in summer but apparently suck in the shoulder seasons when you might get occasional ice/snow

Kick myself I didn't get them swapped for something like CrossClimates when I bought the vehicle

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #18142 on: July 20, 2023, 02:32:33 am »
A win for KTM in the garage tonight. I came close to having a shop replace my AC compressor (for $1300) due to a loud rattling noise when it would engage. I figured the clutch or the bearing itself was on the way out. A/C kicks on and rattling would begin. AC cycles off and noise would stop. AC works fine. Any guesses?

Tonight I was in a drive through with the AC off and noticed the rattling would begin when I turned my steering wheel and the p/s pump was stressed. Any guesses?

I replaced the auto belt tensioner 3 years and 50k kms ago as a matter of course due to mileage (150k kms) while I swapped the original belt. I bought a Dayco unit and installed. POS apparantly. For some reason I never threw out the original OE tensioner so I swapped it back in. No noises.  :drive:

Perfect fix. Cost me nothing and it worked. I am now solidly for buying only OE parts.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #18143 on: July 20, 2023, 09:00:27 am »

I replaced the auto belt tensioner 3 years and 50k kms ago as a matter of course due to mileage (150k kms) while I swapped the original belt. I bought a Dayco unit and installed. POS apparantly. For some reason I never threw out the original OE tensioner so I swapped it back in. No noises.  :drive:

Perfect fix. Cost me nothing and it worked. I am now solidly for buying only OE parts.

:o

lucky, and good job on that.  which car? 

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18144 on: July 20, 2023, 10:31:03 am »

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ridgeline. Curiously I believe all my part failures have been with non OE parts.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #18145 on: July 20, 2023, 11:38:44 am »

[/quote]

Ridgeline. Curiously I believe all my part failures have been with non OE parts.
[/quote]

Don't know what the aftermarket support for OE - equivalent (same supplier to OEM) is for Honda and specifically the Ridgeline but this is what I look for first as the middle ground (best value especially if I can source them from RA).

In my case, for the Outlander, the support is very scarce hence I typically end up with OEM parts (expensive). On the other hand for BMW the support is very good for both info and parts; so far I didn't have to buy any major OEM part. Still, to your point, the very few small/cheap parts I bought from non-OE equivalent brands, all made in China, are the only ones I have/had issues with.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18146 on: July 20, 2023, 12:29:38 pm »
I swear aftermarket part quality has dropped the last few years.  For the Honda now it will be a visit to the dealer to get parts outside of filters.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #18147 on: July 20, 2023, 12:36:19 pm »
I remember buying sway bar end links for the jeep. The difference between OEM, proper offroad aftermarket and the chineseum crap available from CT/Rock Auto was eye opening. I mean, for such a cheap and simple part, the CT/Rock auto stuff was highly questionable.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #18148 on: July 20, 2023, 01:53:35 pm »
I've been debating changing out the tires on the Crosstrek. They're fine in summer but apparently suck in the shoulder seasons when you might get occasional ice/snow

Kick myself I didn't get them swapped for something like CrossClimates when I bought the vehicle

Roll on Michelin X-ice series of tire.  They make for a very good 3 season tire.  That's what I use on the MDX for non snow season.  Quiet.  I have pulled off the OEM tires (some sort of generic all season Bridgestone that I will reinstall when it gets traded).

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #18149 on: July 26, 2023, 08:58:05 am »
Finally got around to replacing the clutch master cylinder on the Miata yesterday.   Pretty easy job, looks tighter than it is.   Even gravity bled and got all the air out easily.
Mr Pickypants

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #18150 on: July 26, 2023, 02:54:49 pm »
Got some rust repaired along the edge of one of the rear doors on the Pilot.  Still got nasty rust on the rear hatch (known issue that plagues them), shop said I'm throwing good money after bad if I tried to fix it.  Appreciated the honesty.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #18151 on: July 26, 2023, 03:15:50 pm »

Mine came with Falkens. Does yours have Yokohamas?
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #18152 on: July 26, 2023, 03:27:58 pm »

Yeah, the Yokohama Geolanders

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #18153 on: July 26, 2023, 03:39:58 pm »

Yeah, the Yokohama Geolanders

That's what I thought. The Limited gets 18" passenger car tires, and the others get 17" SUV rubber. I'm getting the '24 Limited to review next fall - looking forward to comparing the two!

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
« Reply #18154 on: July 26, 2023, 04:37:23 pm »
You'd certainly be able to compare them by then! Would be interested if they managed to actually improve things or not, the price has jumped a fair bit

Of course the standard equipment has too

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18155 on: July 26, 2023, 04:40:49 pm »
You'd certainly be able to compare them by then! Would be interested if they managed to actually improve things or not, the price has jumped a fair bit

Of course the standard equipment has too

Really curious about the NVH aspect - that's supposed to be the big difference. The new Crossies are all over New England.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #18156 on: July 30, 2023, 09:00:52 pm »
Change the oil in the Escalade and replaced the gasket for the oil cooler lines take-off block. Had been sweating oil there for a year or so, figured I might as well get it done while I was under there. Easy job, but the underside is so greasy from a decade or so of annual Rust Check applications that I needed a shower immediately after.

Also took the XKR out for a good ride with the boy, it hadn't moved from the garage in about 6-weeks with me travelling, and then it got blocked into the garage by moving bins, so finally got it out, dropped the top and blew off some steam.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #18157 on: July 30, 2023, 09:16:16 pm »
Change the oil in the Escalade and replaced the gasket for the oil cooler lines take-off block. Had been sweating oil there for a year or so, figured I might as well get it done while I was under there. Easy job, but the underside is so greasy from a decade or so of annual Rust Check applications that I needed a shower immediately after.

Also took the XKR out for a good ride with the boy, it hadn't moved from the garage in about 6-weeks with me travelling, and then it got blocked into the garage by moving bins, so finally got it out, dropped the top and blew off some steam.

Good work!

Firm Jr gets even cuter.  How is that possible?
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #18158 on: July 30, 2023, 09:26:38 pm »

Good work!

He's trying to keep up with his sister  :rofl2:

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #18159 on: July 30, 2023, 11:38:55 pm »

Good work!

He's trying to keep up with his sister  :rofl2:

:rofl2: