Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3044531 times)

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #18100 on: July 06, 2023, 07:48:14 pm »
The Outlander is getting an overhaul to the tune of few thousand dollars... :banghead:

Lol. Your dealership must love you

It's no different than going to an indy shop but the opposite for many reasons.

Just curious, what's costing so much?

The most expensive bit is the propeller shaft which is not serviceable (KTM guessed right where the squeaking was coming from and also the vibration) and then quite a few other smaller things rust induced or age related items - engine mounts, a power steering connector pipe (dangerously rusted), a piece of harness for 4WD (rusted bracket broke and pulled the wire from connector), trailing arms bushings, rear upper control arms, rear backing plates and the entire parking brake hardware and shoes (heavily rusted), various hardware, brackets, seals for anything that has been touched.....

For the propeller shaft I opted for new OEM part rather than scrap or aftermarket plus all new mounting hardware (old one is obviously rusted).

Cost adds up really quickly despite significant discounts on parts and labor.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 07:50:41 pm by Dante »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #18101 on: July 06, 2023, 11:23:32 pm »
Only 2 grand tax in?  That's nothing.  Get it Krowned.  Never too late.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #18102 on: July 06, 2023, 11:50:11 pm »
I drove the Corolla 875 km, Winnipeg to Eau Claire Wisconsin.

Doing the speed limit on the Interstate will get you passed like you're Danica Patrick.

Sent from my SM-G990W2 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 07, 2023, 06:59:36 am by Bubba »
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #18103 on: July 07, 2023, 09:41:53 am »

The most expensive bit is the propeller shaft which is not serviceable (KTM guessed right where the squeaking was coming from and also the vibration)

For the propeller shaft I opted for new OEM part rather than scrap or aftermarket plus all new mounting hardware (old one is obviously rusted).

I had similar on a Subaru, driveshaft wasn't supposed to be serviceable, but I found a U-joint that had inside clips and worked fine.   Hard to find a shop that will rebuild things instead of just replace them though
Mr Pickypants

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #18104 on: July 07, 2023, 09:47:17 am »
The Outlander is getting an overhaul to the tune of few thousand dollars... :banghead:

The most expensive bit is the propeller shaft which is not serviceable (KTM guessed right where the squeaking was coming from and also the vibration) and then quite a few other smaller things rust induced or age related items - engine mounts, a power steering connector pipe (dangerously rusted), a piece of harness for 4WD (rusted bracket broke and pulled the wire from connector), trailing arms bushings, rear upper control arms, rear backing plates and the entire parking brake hardware and shoes (heavily rusted), various hardware, brackets, seals for anything that has been touched.....

Impressed that the OEM part is still available for a 16 year old model
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #18105 on: July 07, 2023, 09:54:11 am »

The most expensive bit is the propeller shaft which is not serviceable (KTM guessed right where the squeaking was coming from and also the vibration)

I had similar on a Subaru, driveshaft wasn't supposed to be serviceable, but I found a U-joint that had inside clips and worked fine.   Hard to find a shop that will rebuild things instead of just replace them though

My old Mazda pickup had a mix of serviceable and staked in u-joints. When the staked ones finally quit I did find a machine shop who could cut out and replace them, but it wasn't cheap. Also replaced the serviceable u joint at the same time as well as the steady bearing

When our CRV started giving trouble the mechanic we use said 'just order one off ebay' and sure enough a long wooden box came from California with a new driveshaft. Included new joints and everything for about $300 or so. Worked fine for us the next few years until we sold the car

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #18106 on: July 07, 2023, 12:03:19 pm »

Yep and in stock. Never had issues sourcing OEM parts so far except maybe one time last year when I had to wait couple of weeks for rear coil springs, but understandable given the context.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2023, 12:33:39 pm by Dante »

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #18107 on: July 07, 2023, 01:25:21 pm »

Yep and in stock. Never had issues sourcing OEM parts so far except maybe one time last year when I had to wait couple of weeks for rear coil springs, but understandable given the context.

I went into the local GM dealer a couple of days ago and they couldn't even look up parts or the VIN from my '76 GMC, they've purged their system of anything old.
Inner tie rod ends and idler arms are pretty scarce for them these days....same parts as on a Toronado  :P

Offline Davep

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: first car - 1965 Hillman Super Minx!!!
« Reply #18108 on: July 07, 2023, 01:48:00 pm »

I went into the local GM dealer a couple of days ago and they couldn't even look up parts or the VIN from my '76 GMC, they've purged their system of anything old.
Inner tie rod ends and idler arms are pretty scarce for them these days....same parts as on a Toronado  :P

Are you saying the local dealer or the GM parts system dropped older parts information?

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18109 on: July 07, 2023, 02:00:36 pm »

Are you saying the local dealer or the GM parts system dropped older parts information?

I think both.   He was trying to find parts on their system, I imagine it's a  GM-wide parts lookup.

The time before that I was there, they gave me their GMC Motorhome parts book, they were about to toss it.    The parts I was looking for didn't have enough digits to even get anywhere.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #18110 on: July 07, 2023, 03:12:20 pm »

My bro has a 2012 Lincoln.

He needed a critical ECU part to allow brakes to work correctly.

They no longer make the part and was told "no longer available".
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #18111 on: July 07, 2023, 03:49:58 pm »

Doing the speed limit on the Interstate will get you passed like you're Danica Patrick.

What was your gas mileage like though? :P
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18112 on: July 07, 2023, 04:04:07 pm »

Ford seems historically pretty bad about making parts no longer avaliable. Mercedes used to be fantastic. Not sure about now. You might not have liked the price but they had it avaliable.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-404
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #18113 on: July 07, 2023, 04:08:06 pm »

Ford seems historically pretty bad about making parts no longer avaliable. Mercedes used to be fantastic. Not sure about now. You might not have liked the price but they had it avaliable.

Mercedes, BMW and Porsche are still exceptional with this.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #18114 on: July 11, 2023, 07:01:54 pm »

What was your gas mileage like though? :P

I'll post my trip mileage in the "Real-World fuel consumption" thread.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #18115 on: July 14, 2023, 08:45:23 pm »
The GS-350 developed a clunking noise coming from the rear end a couple of days ago.  Terrible timing as we have a road trip planned to South-Shore NS beginning next Wednesday.  Have an oil change scheduled for Monday but the indy is too busy to add this to the service.  Called the Lexus dealer at 8am this morning and they took the car in at 8:30.  Can't beat that!  Anyway, turns out it has a bad strut and the part won't be in until Tuesday at the earliest. 

Can't complain as the car has ~175k km on it now and it's the first problem we've had.  Timing sucks though.  Looked into a rental but cheapest I could find for a mid-sized suv was >$1000 for the five days.  Looks like we'll be taking the Frontier.  No issues with that other than it's filthy and full of junk from recent project work, so the wife will have to give it a good cleaning first.  ;D  It also needs an oil change, so I switched my Monday appointment at the indy to the Frontier.  Seems like every year before my vacation something comes along to throw a wrench into the plans.  :P

Anyway, my wife got looking at new vehicles while at the dealer but they didn't have many to look at.  Only one car in the showroom and it was a pre-owned LC-500.  Only one salesman now as well.  In fact most of the staff is new.  She liked the 2023 RX-350 they had in stock but she didn't like the $85K sticker, and this for a rather basic version. 
« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 08:48:00 pm by KD »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #18116 on: July 14, 2023, 10:52:38 pm »
She liked the 2023 RX-350 they had in stock but she didn't like the $85K sticker, and this for a rather basic version.

Absolutely wild isn't it?   :P :-[ :-X

Anyway, turns out it has a bad strut and the part won't be in until Tuesday at the earliest. 

Take it anyways.  Put some weight in the trunk.  It will survive.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12404
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #18117 on: July 15, 2023, 08:43:38 am »
.  She liked the 2023 RX-350 they had in stock but she didn't like the $85K sticker, and this for a rather basic version.

:o Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?  ???

My current ride better last forever because I am NEVER dropping the kind of coin that just basically nice rides command today.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #18118 on: July 15, 2023, 08:52:42 am »
2023 starting prices for the RX...

RX350 $63K
RX350h $64K
RX500h $84K

Just showing some real numbers because at $85K, that wasn't a rather basic version.  ;)

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #18119 on: July 15, 2023, 10:50:44 am »
She liked the 2023 RX-350 they had in stock but she didn't like the $85K sticker, and this for a rather basic version.

Absolutely wild isn't it?   :P :-[ :-X

Anyway, turns out it has a bad strut and the part won't be in until Tuesday at the earliest. 

Take it anyways.  Put some weight in the trunk.  It will survive.

Agreed. There are plenty of cars on the road that are in wayy worse shape.