Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3044349 times)

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #18080 on: July 01, 2023, 06:55:53 pm »
^^ yup . Been there done that. Known issue with miata's as they age. No leaks ?.Could be the slave or the master. Either way a cheap fix.

I thought if the slave was the issue, that it would leak?

Yes usually that is the case. No drips from slave under the car ? What is the level of the master? Is it going down? Sometimes the master goes bad internally. I replaced both on my 90 but not at the same time. First was the leaky slave,then a few years later the master,it was 30 years old though. No loss of fluid that time. The master can also leak inside the car,ends up underneath the carpet. The level should go down for that though.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #18081 on: July 01, 2023, 10:30:13 pm »
^^ yup . Been there done that. Known issue with miata's as they age. No leaks ?.Could be the slave or the master. Either way a cheap fix.

I thought if the slave was the issue, that it would leak?

Yes usually that is the case. No drips from slave under the car ? What is the level of the master? Is it going down? Sometimes the master goes bad internally. I replaced both on my 90 but not at the same time. First was the leaky slave,then a few years later the master,it was 30 years old though. No loss of fluid that time. The master can also leak inside the car,ends up underneath the carpet. The level should go down for that though.

Level looks to be the same and no drips anywhere.   I think the master is just leaking by internally, only about $40 for one.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #18082 on: July 02, 2023, 12:02:23 am »
Tried to replace the rear brakes on the Outlander this afternoon. I had to abort as could not take the rotor out. Will try again on Monday but this time will lift both wheels so I can turn them to access the parking brake shoes adjuster through the hole.

Also have a very strange issue.... When I reverse AND turn, I hear a squeaking noise from under the car but it seems the noise is coming from the middle-rear of the car not the front. If I reverse in straight line or turn moving forward there is no noise whatsoever.

Anyone any idea as I'm lost .... can't explain this.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #18083 on: July 02, 2023, 11:31:20 am »
Stuff like that can be tricky to diagnose. I'd get someone to slowly turn and backup to make the squeak while you're outside the vehicle, that often helps you pinpoint where the noise is coming from.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #18084 on: July 03, 2023, 10:25:07 am »
Tried to replace the rear brakes on the Outlander this afternoon. I had to abort as could not take the rotor out. Will try again on Monday but this time will lift both wheels so I can turn them to access the parking brake shoes adjuster through the hole.

Also have a very strange issue.... When I reverse AND turn, I hear a squeaking noise from under the car but it seems the noise is coming from the middle-rear of the car not the front. If I reverse in straight line or turn moving forward there is no noise whatsoever.

Anyone any idea as I'm lost .... can't explain this.

Ujoint on the rear driveshaft?

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #18085 on: July 04, 2023, 09:40:23 am »
Steady bearing another one to check. Might be more to steady when the differential is working? Have replaced a few of those over the years, our F150 used to eat them

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18086 on: July 04, 2023, 01:57:40 pm »
The Outlander is going to the shop (dealer) tomorrow. I think I have more than one issue with the driveshaft/rear diff, mostly aggravated/caused by rust.

Currently 2WD only as the bracket holding the connectors between the harness and solenoid inside the transfer case came lose due to rust and it was hanging from the thin wires. I believe a wire got disconnected inside the connector and no signal is coming from the 4WD ECU to the transfer case.

Unfortunately I think the underbody rust will kill this car. Body is still ok for the next little while but anything underneath will be increasingly difficult and expensive to repair. The joint/bearing between front and rear shafts are really rusted. I suspect this might  the cause of that squeaking noise it've been trying to track down....

Too bad I spent the most part of the long weekend cleaning the crap out of it (long overdue) to the point the interior looks almost like new.

Wife was bitching that now she'll feel guilty to step inside and use it.... I kind of went overboard indeed with the deep clean at this stage.

On top of everything I lost the wheel lock key on Saturday (I think I left it on the wheel and drove away) so when I tried to do the rear brakes yesterday.... tough luck....

Will be a bit sad when I'll have to let go this car... It served me so well over 16 years and 250K km to date. I've never thought I'll keep it for so long....but the time to part ways might be close.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2023, 01:59:25 pm by Dante »

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #18087 on: July 04, 2023, 02:09:26 pm »
The Outlander is going to the shop (dealer) tomorrow. I think I have more than one issue with the driveshaft/rear diff, mostly aggravated/caused by rust.

Currently 2WD only as the bracket holding the connectors between the harness and solenoid inside the transfer case came lose due to rust and it was hanging from the thin wires. I believe a wire got disconnected inside the connector and no signal is coming from the 4WD ECU to the transfer case.

Unfortunately I think the underbody rust will kill this car. Body is still ok for the next little while but anything underneath will be increasingly difficult and expensive to repair. The joint/bearing between front and rear shafts are really rusted. I suspect this might  the cause of that squeaking noise it've been trying to track down....

Too bad I spent the most part of the long weekend cleaning the crap out of it (long overdue) to the point the interior looks almost like new.

Wife was bitching that now she'll feel guilty to step inside and use it.... I kind of went overboard indeed with the deep clean at this stage.

On top of everything I lost the wheel lock key on Saturday (I think I left it on the wheel and drove away) so when I tried to do the rear brakes yesterday.... tough luck....

Will be a bit sad when I'll have to let go this car... It served me so well over 16 years and 250K km to date. I've never thought I'll keep it for so long....but the time to part ways might be close.
Regardless it's been a great run and it owes you nothing. 

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #18088 on: July 04, 2023, 02:14:27 pm »
Is the new Outlander of any interest? Wandered on our local Mitsui dealer yesterday and they had 20 Outlanders on the lot, half of them being PHEV which get pretty good reviews

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-404
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #18089 on: July 04, 2023, 02:46:07 pm »
Is the new Outlander of any interest? Wandered on our local Mitsui dealer yesterday and they had 20 Outlanders on the lot, half of them being PHEV which get pretty good reviews

PHEV is "okay". New Outlander shares most of its under-bones with the Rogue, which makes it "pretty okay". I just advise people to buy the Rogue instead because I don't really have much confidence in Mitsubishi Motors Canada's ability to stay afloat in this market for much longer. Their long warranty won't be much good when the stores are shuttered.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #18090 on: July 04, 2023, 02:56:56 pm »

That sounds a lot like why I gave up on our 2003 Outback VDC, just too much rust underneath and all the little things starting to go.   Got your money's worth though

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18091 on: July 04, 2023, 02:59:31 pm »

The current Outlander doesn't do it for me.

My choices for replacement are very limited. Normally I would go new (lease) but at these rates can't convince myself to pay 16K over 4 years in interest alone. Besides nothing new really does it for me but if I have to, it would probably be an X3. The other one I liked till recent trim changes, was the Discovery Sport. If possible I would also wait for Mazda CX-70 to see if I like it (I like the I6 option)...

However, realistically, at this point and in these conditions, my first preference it's a 2017 X3 35i. Problem is, it's unpredictable when/if the right unit (for me) will come along. This is a big risk....

If I have to get a car tomorrow, it would be a new X3 lease. Probably it will be a factory order too as it's unlikely to find one in the lot exactly as I want it.

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
« Reply #18092 on: July 04, 2023, 03:20:14 pm »

PHEV is "okay". New Outlander shares most of its under-bones with the Rogue, which makes it "pretty okay". I just advise people to buy the Rogue instead because I don't really have much confidence in Mitsubishi Motors Canada's ability to stay afloat in this market for much longer. Their long warranty won't be much good when the stores are shuttered.

That is a good point. They could follow Suzuki and suddenly bow out of our market altogether

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18093 on: July 04, 2023, 04:00:12 pm »

That is a good point. They could follow Suzuki and suddenly bow out of our market altogether

This line has been out there ever since I bought the car. Yet, 16 years later they are still around and kicking.... Even the dealer I bought the car from and I've serviced the car at since day one till this date, is still there, in the same location....

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18094 on: July 06, 2023, 03:42:28 pm »
The Outlander is getting an overhaul to the tune of few thousand dollars... :banghead:
Probably not a sound decision to sink thousands of dollars in a 16 yo car, but still cheaper than buying something else at this time - new or used.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-404
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #18095 on: July 06, 2023, 04:24:51 pm »
The Outlander is getting an overhaul to the tune of few thousand dollars... :banghead:

Lol. Your dealership must love you

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18096 on: July 06, 2023, 04:58:47 pm »

It's no different than going to an indy shop but the opposite for many reasons.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #18097 on: July 06, 2023, 05:31:33 pm »
Cheaper to fix than to buy.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #18098 on: July 06, 2023, 06:34:32 pm »

It's no different than going to an indy shop but the opposite for many reasons.

Just curious, what's costing so much?
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18099 on: July 06, 2023, 07:19:01 pm »
Would not take much at a shop. A set of new tires plus some misc bits.