Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3044091 times)

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #17980 on: June 14, 2023, 11:49:39 am »
Europeans live in tiny spaces.  Few have a private garage let alone a detached house.

I am the only person I know that still changes oil and filter on a car and that is only once a year sometimes once every two years.  I only swap tires because I have lots of indoor garage space and a nice clean level smooth service for the jack.

Most people on my street don't even mow there own lawns or shovel their snow... I do tire swaps myself and some other things like electrical, filters and batteries but leave the dirty bits to the pros. I'm a diehard DIY'r at heart but I have to balance stuff with my time and reference hourly rate...
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #17981 on: June 14, 2023, 02:26:23 pm »

Did an F-150 the other day with electronic rear parking brake. There's a service mode you select in the gauge cluster menu - couldn't be simpler.

Right? If you're going to add something like that make it easy to put in service mode.

But not the Germans....let's make it more complex for no good reason.

Remember couple of things ....

#1 your car was a high-tech, special car at its time - probably Audi did not want to make it easy for the owner to change brakes on that car, or probably anything for that matter - I would fully expect most of the maintenance to be a PITA on that car
#2 the target audience for that car was not likely to be a DIY-er changing brakes on the street .... imagine well off Hans of that time doing a brake job in the parking lot - 0% probability .... :rofl2:
#3 as the EPB became more mainstream the self-service options became more accessible. Not sure if quite as accessible as a menu option on the IP, or even push/hold steps on the button itself, but on some of the newer Audi/VW products the 12V trick would work

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #17982 on: June 14, 2023, 03:13:08 pm »

Did an F-150 the other day with electronic rear parking brake. There's a service mode you select in the gauge cluster menu - couldn't be simpler.

Right? If you're going to add something like that make it easy to put in service mode.

#1 your car was a high-tech, special car at its time - probably Audi did not want to make it easy for the owner to change brakes on that car, or probably anything for that matter - I would fully expect most of the maintenance to be a PITA on that car
#2 the target audience for that car was not likely to be a DIY-er changing brakes on the street .... imagine well off Hans of that time doing a brake job in the parking lot - 0% probability .... :rofl2:
#3 as the EPB became more mainstream the self-service options became more accessible. Not sure if quite as accessible as a menu option on the IP, or even push/hold steps on the button itself, but on some of the newer Audi/VW products the 12V trick would work
Stupid and/or poor engineering is exactly that regardless of who's doing the work.

I've seen it again and again and again in German cars. And I've seen it at work for the molds that make German car parts.

As I'm fond of saying...if the Germans made a paperclip, it would have 6 moving parts.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #17983 on: June 14, 2023, 03:25:17 pm »

Stupid and/or poor engineering is exactly that regardless of who's doing the work.

I've seen it again and again and again in German cars. And I've seen it at work for the molds that make German car parts.

As I'm fond of saying...if the Germans made a paperclip, it would have 6 moving parts.

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #17984 on: June 14, 2023, 03:30:47 pm »

Can't remember which classic-era American automotive journalist wrote this, but after solving a few issues on his 190SL, he decided to take apart the ashtray. He realized it had 25 parts. He sold the car.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #17985 on: June 14, 2023, 04:39:00 pm »
Always said it must be something driven by German engineering training. Historically they can be masters at simple and effective if they have to be, but it's like a very low cred thing for a German engineer

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17986 on: June 14, 2023, 04:48:26 pm »
Always said it must be something driven by German engineering training. Historically they can be masters at simple and effective if they have to be, but it's like a very low cred thing for a German engineer

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17987 on: June 14, 2023, 04:50:15 pm »
This one ain't bad too:

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #17988 on: June 14, 2023, 05:13:21 pm »

Can't remember which classic-era American automotive journalist wrote this, but after solving a few issues on his 190SL, he decided to take apart the ashtray. He realized it had 25 parts. He sold the car.

Ha, ha... That's nothing.... I recall a YT video of a guy who took apart the pop out cupholder in BMW E90 only to identify an exorbitant number of moving parts... Can't remember the number but it was significant...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 05:57:34 pm by Dante »

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #17990 on: June 14, 2023, 09:05:03 pm »
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17993 on: June 15, 2023, 09:06:45 am »
Yep, ordered the replacement "awhile" ago. Finally got notification that it should be here around the end of the month. If the Acadia doesn't sell by then, it will get traded in.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #17994 on: June 15, 2023, 09:07:07 am »
Yep, ordered the replacement "awhile" ago. Finally got notification that it should be here around the end of the month. If the Acadia doesn't sell by then, it will get traded in.

Did you mention what you ordered, or do we get to guess?

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17995 on: June 15, 2023, 09:09:02 am »
It was mentioned in another thread a while ago. Its nothing special but if guys want to have some fun, feel free to throw out some guesses or dig through the old threads  ;)

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17996 on: June 15, 2023, 09:24:55 am »
It was mentioned in another thread a while ago. Its nothing special but if guys want to have some fun, feel free to throw out some guesses or dig through the old threads  ;)

Mazda CX-something or Subaru Crosstrek

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #17997 on: June 15, 2023, 09:27:21 am »
Cadillac V8 super sedan thing?!?!?!

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17998 on: June 15, 2023, 10:04:13 am »

No, but equally boring and arguably more practical

Cadillac V8 super sedan thing?!?!?!

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

I wish!

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #17999 on: June 15, 2023, 11:45:01 am »

No, but equally boring and arguably more practical

Honda CR-V?
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson