Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3043935 times)

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #17940 on: May 29, 2023, 10:32:49 am »
Man, that Accent cleaned up well. I'll keep you posted on dates for Montreal - I am suppose to be there for race weekend, hosting some events, but I am not thrilled about the whole thing, so plans might change. One of the reasons I insist on driving (corp policy is to fly) is so I can arrive/leave on my own schedule, so if time allows I'd be up for a little wrenching  ;D

Cool! At the track events ? You're right about driving. YYZ-YUL is bordeline, especially if you're not heading downtown and staying there. If you have to drive around the GMA and need a rental car anyway, you may as well drive and avoid airport delays. I'm 15 mins away from the track on the South Shore.

The TR6 is getting there. Getting the reverse lights to work is just about chasing contacts, probably the same with one of the brake lights that works but is more dim than the other. Other stuff is minor: getting a ground cable that fits the battery's small terminal (the existing one just lifts off) and fitting proper hardware to replace the steel wire that holds up the rear of the hardtop (and I have the bits already). The TR6 is never on my honey-do list for some reason...

We're staying at the Sheraton downtown and have a suite at the track for the race days....I guess there's a subway or something that takes people from downtown out to the track area? This is an annual even for us, but my first time hosting....I'll figure it out as we go, I just like having a car handy incase something goes sideways and I need it. Apparently flights were a disaster last year, some people from our group got stuck, etc....best to avoid that mess.

Sounds like you've got a real short list now. You can buy battery terminal shims as a really quick fix for that ground cable that won't tighten, obviously replacing the cable is better, but if you just want to get it going, these take about a minute to install.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-battery-post-shim-0113601p.html

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #17941 on: May 29, 2023, 10:39:45 am »
Man, that Accent cleaned up well. I'll keep you posted on dates for Montreal - I am suppose to be there for race weekend, hosting some events, but I am not thrilled about the whole thing, so plans might change. One of the reasons I insist on driving (corp policy is to fly) is so I can arrive/leave on my own schedule, so if time allows I'd be up for a little wrenching  ;D

Cool! At the track events ? You're right about driving. YYZ-YUL is bordeline, especially if you're not heading downtown and staying there. If you have to drive around the GMA and need a rental car anyway, you may as well drive and avoid airport delays. I'm 15 mins away from the track on the South Shore.

The TR6 is getting there. Getting the reverse lights to work is just about chasing contacts, probably the same with one of the brake lights that works but is more dim than the other. Other stuff is minor: getting a ground cable that fits the battery's small terminal (the existing one just lifts off) and fitting proper hardware to replace the steel wire that holds up the rear of the hardtop (and I have the bits already). The TR6 is never on my honey-do list for some reason...

We're staying at the Sheraton downtown and have a suite at the track for the race days....I guess there's a subway or something that takes people from downtown out to the track area? This is an annual even for us, but my first time hosting....I'll figure it out as we go, I just like having a car handy incase something goes sideways and I need it. Apparently flights were a disaster last year, some people from our group got stuck, etc....best to avoid that mess.

Sounds like you've got a real short list now. You can buy battery terminal shims as a really quick fix for that ground cable that won't tighten, obviously replacing the cable is better, but if you just want to get it going, these take about a minute to install.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-battery-post-shim-0113601p.html

Bought the shims, but they're too loose! I will try crunching one up to get it to fit more tightly. Yes, direct subway access to the track but wear good walking shoes as it's a bit of a treck from there to the hospitality suites - many years ago I managed to get a doorman job at the corporate suites. Had to stand up all day and check credentials, but I was fed and paid to see the race!
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #17942 on: May 29, 2023, 11:19:19 am »
Ah, gotcha. You can drive a screw into the gap, that'll tighten it up nicely. It's a hack though, and looks hack, so at that point I'd probably just replace the cable.

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #17943 on: May 29, 2023, 01:22:43 pm »
The master technician at the BMW dealership recently left and started his own shop.  What a nice operation with very reasonable shop rates.  They are doing my coils and plugs on the 128 today, can't wait to get it back and have it drive like normal again.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-404
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #17944 on: May 29, 2023, 03:09:40 pm »
The master technician at the BMW dealership recently left and started his own shop.  What a nice operation with very reasonable shop rates.  They are doing my coils and plugs on the 128 today, can't wait to get it back and have it drive like normal again.

This is how my place originally started in the late 80s... the previous owner (a family friend of a long time) was a master tech at the Mercedes store in town. He eventually had enough and ragequit to start his own place. Built up a phenomenal clientele with unmatched loyalty to the spot.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #17945 on: May 29, 2023, 04:28:49 pm »

This is how my place originally started in the late 80s... the previous owner (a family friend of a long time) was a master tech at the Mercedes store in town. He eventually had enough and ragequit to start his own place. Built up a phenomenal clientele with unmatched loyalty to the spot.

Same thing in Fredericton - former head mechanic of the the Subaru/Volvo dealer started his own shop close to 20 years ago now. Has a great rep and basically anyone with an out of warranty Euro car or Subaru takes it there.

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #17946 on: May 30, 2023, 12:52:44 pm »
The bimmer drives so much better now.  Had a nice chat with the owner/mechanic when I picked it up at the end of the day.  Was really impressed with the overall experience (received a PDF quote for the repair job after he called me to explain his diagnosis).  Couple of sweet rides in the shop too (new-ish Cayman and an NSX).  I'll be booking my autumn routine maintenance there, for sure.

Not sure what to do about the Honda/Subaru.  The local shop I routinely take them to is a Speedy franchise, but the guy running it who looked after my in-law's cars for the past 30 years isn't there anymore, guessing he retired.  Only thing stopping me from taking them to this new shop is (a) it's a little out of the way for getting back and forth, and (b) not sure if they're looking to work on daily beaters.  Guess it doesn't hurt to ask!

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #17947 on: May 30, 2023, 01:36:48 pm »
Tried to revive the old mans Yukon AC (2005 Denali) with a top up kit. Unfortunately once the first can was in had a hissing sound from underneath  :(  so it is something more serious than just low refrigerant. Going to have to spend real money if he wants more than Sask air conditioning.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-404
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #17948 on: June 01, 2023, 04:57:26 pm »
Only thing stopping me from taking them to this new shop is (a) it's a little out of the way for getting back and forth, and (b) not sure if they're looking to work on daily beaters.  Guess it doesn't hurt to ask!

Historically our place did not do this. I would bring my Euro stuff but the previous owner would turn away things like my Lexus LS', my S2000, etc.

We quickly learned that we were losing a bunch of business by turning away cars. We aren't in the business of advertising for beaters, because we're not as cheap as the one-bay Shadetree mechanic, but lots of our premium/lux/supercar clientele have other cars, or relatives with other cars. Happy to do the work.

I believe Hannibal's a great example of this - we service his 335i, but also happy to work on his kids' '07ish Camry. Clients are clients. We also have the odd client with a cheap whatever-it-may-be who regularly will come just to make sure their car is sorted right.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #17949 on: June 01, 2023, 07:16:23 pm »

. Clients are clients.

Money is money

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #17950 on: June 06, 2023, 10:57:42 pm »
Took the rear bench out of the BMW to have a pick at the top of the fuel pump and the regulator in preparation for replacement. Cleaned up the area with this occasion - amazing how much dirt under the rear bench...

Have gas fumes outside the car when the tank is full which is a known issue on this car. The aging plastic pump develops hairline cracks and lets fumes out. Interestingly enough no smell inside the car, just outside.

In my case, the smell comes from the fuel pump (passenger side); the regulator on the driver side is still ok but will replace both anyway so I don't deal with this again.

Need to replace the lock rings securing the pump/regulator too as one is rusted (again on the fuel pump side)....under $10 each so no big deal.

Contemplated  to do it myself but I suspect it won't take the mechanic much more than 1 hr to do it, so it's cheap enough not to bother and risk breaking something.

Parts are on hand from RockAuto for a reasonable price and luckily they carry the OE equivalent brand (VDO/Continental).
Checked the BMW price for kicks and giggles....3x-4x more for exactly the same parts....
« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 11:27:56 pm by Dante »

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #17951 on: June 09, 2023, 11:05:07 am »
Took the rear bench out of the BMW to have a pick at the top of the fuel pump and the regulator in preparation for replacement. Cleaned up the area with this occasion - amazing how much dirt under the rear bench...

Have gas fumes outside the car when the tank is full which is a known issue on this car. The aging plastic pump develops hairline cracks and lets fumes out. Interestingly enough no smell inside the car, just outside.

In my case, the smell comes from the fuel pump (passenger side); the regulator on the driver side is still ok but will replace both anyway so I don't deal with this again.

Need to replace the lock rings securing the pump/regulator too as one is rusted (again on the fuel pump side)....under $10 each so no big deal.

Contemplated  to do it myself but I suspect it won't take the mechanic much more than 1 hr to do it, so it's cheap enough not to bother and risk breaking something.

Parts are on hand from RockAuto for a reasonable price and luckily they carry the OE equivalent brand (VDO/Continental).
Checked the BMW price for kicks and giggles....3x-4x more for exactly the same parts....

Is the BMW logo on the part scratched out? Sometimes I see that with LR parts.  ;D Scratch the logo out and you pay 75% less.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #17952 on: June 10, 2023, 10:36:31 pm »
Wasn't looking forward to this job, but it had to get done. Did the brakes on all 4 corners of the DTS, and replaced the rear calipers while I was at it since one had a suspect parking-brake mechanism. Went with PowerStops because they were a freebie from work, only took a short break-in drive (15 minutes), but initial impression is really good - great 'bite', nice firm pedal feel and zero noise.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #17953 on: June 10, 2023, 11:05:53 pm »

Is the BMW logo on the part scratched out? Sometimes I see that with LR parts.  ;D Scratch the logo out and you pay 75% less.

Not these ones but some are like that indeed....

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #17954 on: June 11, 2023, 08:01:28 am »
Wasn't looking forward to this job, but it had to get done. Did the brakes on all 4 corners of the DTS, and replaced the rear calipers while I was at it since one had a suspect parking-brake mechanism. Went with PowerStops because they were a freebie from work, only took a short break-in drive (15 minutes), but initial impression is really good - great 'bite', nice firm pedal feel and zero noise.

Nice!  I'm still liking the PowerStop package I put on the Frontier last year.  Pricey but a huge improvement over the crappy OEMs.  Bonus that you got them as a freebie!  :thumbup:  That caliper looks newish...?   

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #17955 on: June 11, 2023, 10:30:39 am »
The front calipers are original, or maybe someone replaced them before I got the car, the caliper itself has a black powder coat on it, but the bracket it bare....kinda weird. The rear calipers I replaced yesterday.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #17956 on: June 11, 2023, 01:15:18 pm »
The Corolla got washed and a Lucas Oil Slick Mist treatment.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #17957 on: June 11, 2023, 04:34:49 pm »
After two weeks of sitting in the garage, I took the BMW out for a short country drive today. Man what a difference between it and the MX-5 - its sooooooo smooth,  comfortable, quiet and that sweeeeet inline6 sound.

I also washed and vacuumed the MX-5 and put it in the garage for a few days while it rains here (finally, its been so dry).

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #17958 on: June 11, 2023, 04:38:15 pm »
Nice work Firm!

Completely agree 1FGC, your 1 series, similar to Bella's 3 series just rides so good, firm yet not harsh & the inline 6 is turbine smooth.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #17959 on: June 11, 2023, 08:30:46 pm »
Took this out before the rain, only the 2nd time I've touched it all year. Actually fit both kids in the back for a good ride in it.....First time for the little one. Unfortunately, the passenger seat needed to be tilted forward in order to fit the rear facing baby unit, so no Mrs.Firm.....just kids, lol. Technically, I could've put Bella in a forward facer (she's at the weight), but that required too much effort.
When it sits, I forget how good this car is, then I drive it and don't want to stop.