Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3043691 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #17880 on: May 16, 2023, 12:49:10 pm »
My $/km is pretty low on the Elantra. We have done approximately 20k kms on it and spent less than $1500 including purchase price, repairs and maintenance. Its going to need some new tires at the end of the summer though.

Not a maintenance cost but related. $42k to fix a minor fender bender on a Rivian.  :o

https://www.theautopian.com/heres-why-that-rivian-r1t-repair-cost-42000-after-just-a-minor-fender-bender/

These vehicles made by these startups are questionable at best when it comes to repair/replacement parts. This ev motorbike had the same issue, parts are basically unobtanium

https://youtu.be/IEByCfFavh0?t=781
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #17881 on: May 16, 2023, 04:42:02 pm »
So at the risk to be called out by some here and  as a one-time treat to the car and myself, I took the BMW to a professional detailer for full paint correction treatment.

I just couldn't resist the curiousity to see what a pro can do with this car....so I have an idea and a reference for the future.

I will still buy a proper orbital polisher and try my hand at it going forward.

Pickup is tomorrow morning so will see if I completely wasted the money or only partially....
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 04:57:41 pm by Dante »

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #17882 on: May 16, 2023, 05:44:45 pm »
Licensed the Fusion.  Gonna drive that 3 yr old premium gas out of it...and unfortunately you can't buy ethanol free anywhere locally (maybe in the US still?) so not sure if I fill it and park it in a month from now or leave it empty...which could be worse.  Who cares...at this point...damn...what a feckin' great car.  Plenty of power, all one needs (despite wanting more, because of course), rides fantastic...still looks fresh and amazing...I still love it.  I even gave it a bath at the car wash.

Any issues getting it moving?  Brakes ok?

Nope...seems ok.  No dragging noises and it coasts fine...still a little concerned I should probably do the calipers...but it'll go to Wpg twice and then...probably park it again for the summer.  Undecided at the moment. (should sneak in to the city and trade it on a motorcycle...hey honey! Look what I have!  ;D)  I just needed an excuse to plate it for the road.  Now if only I could get my garage spot back lol.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #17883 on: May 16, 2023, 05:48:45 pm »
Licensed the Fusion.  Gonna drive that 3 yr old premium gas out of it...and unfortunately you can't buy ethanol free anywhere locally (maybe in the US still?) so not sure if I fill it and park it in a month from now or leave it empty...which could be worse.  Who cares...at this point...damn...what a feckin' great car.  Plenty of power, all one needs (despite wanting more, because of course), rides fantastic...still looks fresh and amazing...I still love it.  I even gave it a bath at the car wash.

Nope...seems ok.  No dragging noises and it coasts fine...still a little concerned I should probably do the calipers...but it'll go to Wpg twice and then...probably park it again for the summer.  Undecided at the moment. (should sneak in to the city and trade it on a motorcycle...hey honey! Look what I have!  ;D)  I just needed an excuse to plate it for the road.  Now if only I could get my garage spot back lol.

Uhhh, the motorcycle idea is a fantastic one!! Wife doesn't like it right?? You don't use it?!?! No space in the garage for it!?!? 1000% time to visit your friendly neighborhood Ducati dealer for that Diavel 1260  ;D "sorry babe, car was outside in the weather so long, it shrunk in the sun".

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #17884 on: May 16, 2023, 07:50:10 pm »
Upgraded the sway bars in the MX-5 to RX-8 versions. Direct fit with new OEM bushings and aftermarket endlinks. Man what a difference in turn in response and body roll!

Also changed the original spark plugs with NGK Iridium. The originals had FoMoCo stamped on them like many parts on this car due to Ford partnership era.
Love me some fine wire iridiums!

What links did you settle on?

Otherwise...good work!

Settled on the Moog endlinks.  :)

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #17885 on: May 17, 2023, 08:32:37 am »

Uhhh, the motorcycle idea is a fantastic one!! Wife doesn't like it right?? You don't use it?!?! No space in the garage for it!?!? 1000% time to visit your friendly neighborhood Ducati dealer for that Diavel 1260  ;D "sorry babe, car was outside in the weather so long, it shrunk in the sun".

As a fellow imbecile...I concur with your sentiments.  ;D  I'm just all over the place on what I want or think I want. 

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #17886 on: May 17, 2023, 08:05:30 pm »
So at the risk to be called out by some here and  as a one-time treat to the car and myself, I took the BMW to a professional detailer for full paint correction treatment.

I just couldn't resist the curiousity to see what a pro can do with this car....so I have an idea and a reference for the future.

Pickup is tomorrow morning so will see if I completely wasted the money or only partially....

What did it cost you?  I need something done soon on the Mustang.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #17887 on: May 18, 2023, 12:18:27 am »
The Audi is finished. Looks spectacular. So difficult to photograph how "white" the paint now looks.

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17888 on: May 18, 2023, 12:46:41 am »

What did it cost you?  I need something done soon on the Mustang.

If you ask me, a lot!!! A whooping $1,000 when all was said and done....Never again! Not on an old BLACK car anyway....deep scratches didn't come off but just better. Where the paint was ok, it came out really nice.

It was supposed to be $750 but when it was all done he asked for $1000 and I didn't question it.

$150 was for headlights - that was a gain as they look way better than what I could accomplish myself last year. He ceramic coated the headlights too... I hope they last....

The paint correction itself was supposed to be $600.

He did some extra things - ceramic coated the front bumper (painted last year), polished the exhaust tips, applied paint sealer (he recommended instead of ceramic coating), did the fog lights too...

« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 12:57:26 am by Dante »

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12403
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #17889 on: May 18, 2023, 06:34:07 am »
That's not a bad price at all for the full works. Problem is, you can only accomplish so much with paint that is in really bad shape. 

I had my 2019 done when I purchased it a year ago. Paint was in decent shape, but full of microswirls - previous owner was a fan of automated car washes. Detailer called me in to look at the hood when just one quarter of the surface had been done. The difference was astonishing. And totally worth the money (I paid half again more) to see the car brought to better than new.  And with the ceramic coating, it is SO easy to maintain.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #17890 on: May 18, 2023, 10:08:34 am »
The Audi is finished. Looks spectacular. So difficult to photograph how "white" the paint now looks.

Beautiful car.  One of the few FWD cars with the right proportions.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #17891 on: May 18, 2023, 10:12:06 am »

Looks great, it's a ton of work, so I bet you're glad it done. Time to move onto the S8 now  ;D

The A5 is a very well styled car IMO.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17892 on: May 18, 2023, 10:12:38 am »
That's not a bad price at all for the full works. Problem is, you can only accomplish so much with paint that is in really bad shape. 

I had my 2019 done when I purchased it a year ago. Paint was in decent shape, but full of microswirls - previous owner was a fan of automated car washes. Detailer called me in to look at the hood when just one quarter of the surface had been done. The difference was astonishing. And totally worth the money (I paid half again more) to see the car brought to better than new.  And with the ceramic coating, it is SO easy to maintain.

Yeah, for sure. The guy did a great job based on what he had to work with... Absolutely no complaint there. Car looks 100x better now and unless you really look up close and in the right light, you won't see most of the imperfections left (tiny brush scratches here and there). Besides, 99% of the time you won't even see the big scratches as the car gets dirty 5 minutes after I wash it....

It was my hope that he can do some magic and get rid of more.... $1000 worth on an 13 years old DD with its fair share of previous battle scars? Most likely not, but I did it anyway because I wanted to restore the car at the best possible condition. No regrets there....
It's a year round DD after all not a show car.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #17893 on: May 18, 2023, 10:17:29 am »

FWD?
Mr Pickypants

Offline Shorlaw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +17/-85
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Corvette GS, 2013XKR, 2018 Macan S
« Reply #17894 on: May 18, 2023, 10:27:57 am »

Yeah, for sure. The guy did a great job based on what he had to work with... Absolutely no complaint there. Car looks 100x better now and unless you really look up close and in the right light, you won't see most of the imperfections left (tiny brush scratches here and there). Besides, 99% of the time you won't even see the big scratches as the car gets dirty 5 minutes after I wash it....

It was my hope that he can do some magic and get rid of more.... $1000 worth on an 13 years old DD with its fair share of previous battle scars? Most likely not, but I did it anyway because I wanted to restore the car at the best possible condition. No regrets there....

I paid $500 for what I think he said was 2 stage wet polish and wax on the XKR and was blown away by the results.  I have basically zero experience with detailing though, so maybe someone else would still see a lot.  He pointed out numerous things before that he was unsure he'd be able to fix, but to my eyes (even with my glasses on!) were completely gone.  It had 8 or so obvious door dings that you could see/feel and it's like they were never there.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #17895 on: May 18, 2023, 10:32:55 am »

FWD?

FWD architecture with AWD, although the engine is placed longitudinally here.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12403
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #17896 on: May 18, 2023, 10:36:26 am »

:cheers:  I'm sure it is in the best shape now that could be hoped for.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #17897 on: May 18, 2023, 12:00:10 pm »

FWD?

Yeah, I guess, I just remember seeing the longitudinal engine.    Did they sell many (any) in FWD in Canada?

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #17898 on: May 18, 2023, 12:28:07 pm »

FWD?

Yeah, I guess, I just remember seeing the longitudinal engine.    Did they sell many (any) in FWD in Canada?

The A5 was never offered here with FWD IIRC. You could get a FWD A4 here though.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17899 on: May 18, 2023, 12:36:17 pm »

:cheers:  I'm sure it is in the best shape now that could be hoped for.

Besides, no one can play smart arse and call me out that I did a poor job if I was going to do it myself  ;D..... I actually took it to a very reputable shop (one man operation) which happens to be in my area. Very nice guy, car enthusiast and BMW owner (E46) too....