Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3043850 times)

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #17620 on: April 11, 2023, 02:03:21 pm »
I used to do rotors every second time but that assumes I own something long enough ...

We had a Nissan Quest which we owned a while and ate brakes. I did that one three times maye.

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Ram 1500 Classic, 2014 Highlander Hybrid
« Reply #17621 on: April 11, 2023, 02:11:29 pm »
My Highlander is hybrid so the regenerative system take some weight off the brakes which is nice.  We owned the vehicle since 150K and is now at 303K.   the rear brake still looks like it has life left (I'll recheck them in end of August).  Pretty good for a big cow.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #17622 on: April 11, 2023, 02:16:12 pm »
Auto Value and Part source used to repolish rotors for cheap, like $7 each.  I don't think they do it anymore

PartSource definitely does not do that, lol. As the person accountable for brake sales, that wouldn't fly with me  ;D

Like KTM said, most shops do it now, reduces comebacks, and it hardly makes sense to machine a rotor these days given labor costs vs. the cost of a new rotor.

I've reused rotors once and awhile, but only if they're in good shape (no rust, grooving, etc). European OE rotors tend to hold up, vs. other OEs where I find they're typically in pretty bad shape by the time you're replacing the pads.

Also, in the old days, most pads were semi-metallic so they'd chew through the thickness of the rotor, but also kept the surface of the rotor pretty clean...so if you had thickness left, you could run it. Now days, with most cars using Ceramic pads, they're 'easier' on the rotor in that they don't wear as much, but they're also less effective at removing rust and other contaminants from the braking surface. As well, most pads operate with a transfer layer of pad material on the rotor, if that starts to build up unevenly for whatever reason (poor break-in, contamination, etC), you'll get shudder/vibration from the rotor - this happens way more frequently with modern ceramic pads than it did with old semi-metallic stuff.

Good info here. I find I have to go do some repeated hard braking on the LR4 if the wife drives it too much in the city. It gets pad transfer and doesn't get "cleaned" up well enough. Some ahole driving by KTM takes care of that.

The LR4 might even be using semi-met pads still....I know my XKR, which is on dealer installed OE replacement pads (from the previous owner) is using a semi-met formula, super dusty, but effective. The rotors appear to be factory originals, and while they've got some wear on them, are still in amazing shape for 13 years old.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #17623 on: April 11, 2023, 02:17:16 pm »
I’ve always just replaced pads and rotors at the same time. If I’m going to go to the trouble of getting the car in the garage and up on jack stands, everything is getting replaced, whether it needs it or not.  ;)

I almost made an exception for the GTI, though. Rotors were horribly rusty and pitted, but the pads had plenty of life left. Pads were semi-metallic, so doesn’t fit with the ceramic-is-harder-on-rotors narrative. Maybe the rotors were just really crappy to start with (Centric.)

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17624 on: April 11, 2023, 02:18:52 pm »
Auto Value and Part source used to repolish rotors for cheap, like $7 each.  I don't think they do it anymore

PartSource definitely does not do that, lol. As the person accountable for brake sales, that wouldn't fly with me  ;D

Like KTM said, most shops do it now, reduces comebacks, and it hardly makes sense to machine a rotor these days given labor costs vs. the cost of a new rotor.

I've reused rotors once and awhile, but only if they're in good shape (no rust, grooving, etc). European OE rotors tend to hold up, vs. other OEs where I find they're typically in pretty bad shape by the time you're replacing the pads.

Also, in the old days, most pads were semi-metallic so they'd chew through the thickness of the rotor, but also kept the surface of the rotor pretty clean...so if you had thickness left, you could run it. Now days, with most cars using Ceramic pads, they're 'easier' on the rotor in that they don't wear as much, but they're also less effective at removing rust and other contaminants from the braking surface. As well, most pads operate with a transfer layer of pad material on the rotor, if that starts to build up unevenly for whatever reason (poor break-in, contamination, etC), you'll get shudder/vibration from the rotor - this happens way more frequently with modern ceramic pads than it did with old semi-metallic stuff.

Good info here. I find I have to go do some repeated hard braking on the LR4 if the wife drives it too much in the city. It gets pad transfer and doesn't get "cleaned" up well enough. Some ahole driving by KTM takes care of that.

The LR4 might even be using semi-met pads still....I know my XKR, which is on dealer installed OE replacement pads (from the previous owner) is using a semi-met formula, super dusty, but effective. The rotors appear to be factory originals, and while they've got some wear on them, are still in amazing shape for 13 years old.

Auto value did it when I lived in Red Deer but I think they had a mechanic/machining section to their store.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #17625 on: April 11, 2023, 02:20:33 pm »
I’ve always just replaced pads and rotors at the same time. If I’m going to go to the trouble of getting the car in the garage and up on jack stands, everything is getting replaced, whether it needs it or not.  ;)

I almost made an exception for the GTI, though. Rotors were horribly rusty and pitted, but the pads had plenty of life left. Pads were semi-metallic, so doesn’t fit with the ceramic-is-harder-on-rotors narrative. Maybe the rotors were just really crappy to start with (Centric.)

It's not a narrative, that's just how it is...semi-metallic is a much more aggressive compound, which is why big trucks / severe duty and performance applications still use it, so it's more aggressive on the rotor (in terms of wear and cleaning). That doesn't mean that running semi-met pads is going to exempt you from having rotor issues - tons of other factors there.

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #17626 on: April 11, 2023, 02:22:15 pm »

Pad replacement is dead easy though, one or two bolts to remove the caliper, slide the old pads out, put the new ones in and push the caliper back.

Rotor replacement can be a real pain when the rotor screws are seized or the rotors are seized to the hubs.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #17627 on: April 11, 2023, 02:23:55 pm »
I am coming due for brakes on the DTS....rear pads have a few mm left, and the fronts still look OK but are generating a bit of a shudder under high-speed braking, which I suspect is a result of uneven material build up on the rotors and/or corrosion from sitting around all pandemic. I was able to get a nice 4-corner PowerStop kit through work, so I'll install that when I get around to it.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #17628 on: April 11, 2023, 02:25:07 pm »

Pad replacement is dead easy though, one or two bolts to remove the caliper, slide the old pads out, put the new ones in and push the caliper back.

Rotor replacement can be a real pain when the rotor screws are seized or the rotors are seized to the hubs.

Those Honda's with the rotor screws  ::) Dumb idea, 50% of the time I end up drilling them out.

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #17629 on: April 11, 2023, 02:28:45 pm »
^yep!

First time I eventually got them out with an impact driver. 2nd time, just drilled them all out. The Acadia has the rotor screws as well...

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #17630 on: April 11, 2023, 02:31:57 pm »
Good info here, thanks

Think the rotor screws are just an assembly line thing, keep the rotors from bouncing off as they move the chassis around

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #17631 on: April 11, 2023, 02:33:57 pm »
GTI had rotor screws as well. Can’t remember, but might have been a Torx head? Don’t remember having any issues with those.

The issue with Honda is that people aren’t using the right tools. It’s a JIS screw and you’ll just strip it out if you try to use a Phillips bit.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #17632 on: April 11, 2023, 03:04:01 pm »

Interesting and good to know.  I think I've had more problems with rotors rusting and grooving since ceramic pads came along than ever before with metallic pads
Also now, the price of pads is nuts, looking for performance pads for the Miata and prices are nuts for those little things.

Have you checked to see if there are Stoptech pads available for it? Tdot Performance has a sale going on right now, extra 10% off. I had the Stoptech Sport Performance pads on the 951 and they were great on the track & street. I just ordered the Stoptech Street pads for the SLK from Tdot today. Yesterday when I was doing the tire swap I noticed the fronts are getting low, so figured I'd order some.

https://www.buybrakes.com/help/stoptech-brake-pads-vs-oem-brake-pads/#:~:text=StopTech%20Is%20One%20Of%20The,brake%20pad%20brands%20out%20there.
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #17633 on: April 11, 2023, 03:12:09 pm »
GTI had rotor screws as well. Can’t remember, but might have been a Torx head? Don’t remember having any issues with those.

The issue with Honda is that people aren’t using the right tools. It’s a JIS screw and you’ll just strip it out if you try to use a Phillips bit.

Pretty sure those Honda screw heads are made of bubblegum  :rofl2:
I use one of those hand impact drivers - couple whacks, if it doesn't come out, out comes the drill. Fortunately, they're easy to drill through.

As PJ said, they're for assembly line purposes, they don't do anything once the everything is installed.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #17634 on: April 11, 2023, 03:15:50 pm »

Interesting and good to know.  I think I've had more problems with rotors rusting and grooving since ceramic pads came along than ever before with metallic pads
Also now, the price of pads is nuts, looking for performance pads for the Miata and prices are nuts for those little things.

Have you checked to see if there are Stoptech pads available for it? Tdot Performance has a sale going on right now, extra 10% off. I had the Stoptech Sport Performance pads on the 951 and they were great on the track & street. I just ordered the Stoptech Street pads for the SLK from Tdot today. Yesterday when I was doing the tire swap I noticed the fronts are getting low, so figured I'd order some.

https://www.buybrakes.com/help/stoptech-brake-pads-vs-oem-brake-pads/#:~:text=StopTech%20Is%20One%20Of%20The,brake%20pad%20brands%20out%20there.

They would be about $80 an end for the Miata, not bad for performance pads.  Maybe.
I have EBC Yellowstuff on the 911 and like their feel, don't actually know what's on the Miata, but nothing good I'm sure.
Mr Pickypants

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #17635 on: April 11, 2023, 03:15:56 pm »
Got the 128 out of storage today.  I was "last in", so I was under pressure to be "first out"....a few of the other guys are itching to get their rides out, and everyone hates shuffling the vehicles around.  Feels so good to be back behind the wheel of something with a bit of zip, a bit of soul, and decent steering feel.

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17636 on: April 11, 2023, 03:16:23 pm »
There 2 kind of phillips!?  I hate those, 

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #17637 on: April 11, 2023, 03:22:03 pm »
There 2 kind of phillips!?  I hate those,

There are a few different drives that look like Phillips, but aren't.

If you're working on a Japanese anything, especially motorcycles, get a JIS set of screwdrivers and stop stripping screws.

https://www.amazon.ca/Bessel-Vessel-Difference-Screwdrivers-No-220w-3/dp/B00E55DL4I

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #17638 on: April 11, 2023, 04:16:51 pm »
Yes LR4 still uses a semi metallic pad which is why most Land Rovers  have black front wheels.  ;D  I can get 2 sets of pads on those rotors (OE(Brembo) or Zimmermann) but then the rotors are too thin. Honda rotors last much longer but pads are not as aggressive. A tip on getting the rotor screw out is to tighten the screw a bit first and then loosen. Also slather some breaker spray (of your choice) and a little torch heat. If you don't have an impact then tap a driver with a mallet as you are trying to break it free. Using this method I have a 100% success rate.

As a side note for fun my Ridgeline consumes rear brake pads much faster than fronts. I attributed it to the stability control trying to reel in a prick but others have mentioned it may be just a weird brake proportioning on light stops.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #17639 on: April 11, 2023, 04:23:29 pm »
Yes LR4 still uses a semi metallic pad which is why most Land Rovers  have black front wheels.  ;D  I can get 2 sets of pads on those rotors (OE(Brembo) or Zimmermann) but then the rotors are too thin. Honda rotors last much longer but pads are not as aggressive. A tip on getting the rotor screw out is to tighten the screw a bit first and then loosen. Also slather some breaker spray (of your choice) and a little torch heat. If you don't have an impact then tap a driver with a mallet as you are trying to break it free. Using this method I have a 100% success rate.

As a side note for fun my Ridgeline consumes rear brake pads much faster than fronts. I attributed it to the stability control trying to reel in a prick but others have mentioned it may be just a weird brake proportioning on light stops.

^ It think it's probably a bit of both contributing to the rear pad consumption. Escalade is the same, I replace the rears 2x for every 1 set of front.