Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3043834 times)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #17600 on: April 10, 2023, 07:25:58 pm »
Summer shoes installed. Needs a good bath, that'll happen later this week when we climb into the mid 20's...

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

Have you checked the date for insurance purposes?   Some are April 1, some the end of April
Mr Pickypants

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #17601 on: April 10, 2023, 07:54:10 pm »
Spent about 4 hours detailing the GS-350 yesterday.  Surprisingly very few purple runs compared to other years after applying Iron-X.  Still needed a good clay bar treatment to get it off completely.  Paint still looks great but found a couple of more door dents.  I think it's the worst luck car we've had for that, or maybe just more noticeable. I was able to get a couple repaired in the past but others will need body work.  >:(

Didn't get around to the tire/wheel swap over though.  I was too tired by then and this winter was the last for the Michelin X-Ice3 set so I'll run them down another few weeks to squeeze the remaining life out of them.  ;D 

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #17602 on: April 10, 2023, 08:13:36 pm »
Summer shoes installed. Needs a good bath, that'll happen later this week when we climb into the mid 20's...

Have you checked the date for insurance purposes?   Some are April 1, some the end of April
Nah, not worried there. Car sits in the garage if the weather is bad.

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #17603 on: April 10, 2023, 08:38:40 pm »
Looks good Gurgie, those OE summer wheels are a huge improvement over the dark 5-spoke winters IMO.

Weather was so good today that I am itching to get the XKR out, hopefully I'll get a chance on Friday. I've been running around locally with the green MGB now that it's roadworthy and looking presentable, but need to build up some more confidence in it before I take it too far from home, it also needs new tires mounted badly (I have them, just need some time to take it to Mr.Hire for mounting)

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-404
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #17604 on: April 10, 2023, 09:05:15 pm »
Looks good Gurgie, those OE summer wheels are a huge improvement over the dark 5-spoke winters IMO.

Weather was so good today that I am itching to get the XKR out, hopefully I'll get a chance on Friday. I've been running around locally with the green MGB now that it's roadworthy and looking presentable, but need to build up some more confidence in it before I take it too far from home, it also needs new tires mounted badly (I have them, just need some time to take it to Mr.Hire for mounting)

I should change my forum username to Mr. Hire... lol  ;D ;D ;D
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #17605 on: April 11, 2023, 09:10:07 am »

What does "TheHire" reference anyhow?   The BMW shorts?   Been wonderin'

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #17606 on: April 11, 2023, 09:15:42 am »

The dark 5 spoke were all I could find (used) that would fit, they're on for the occasional winter drive. Really the car never sees snow, it got out on dry days a few times & then sat on the battery tender the rest of the time.

I do agree the factory wheels are nicer for sure.

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Ram 1500 Classic, 2014 Highlander Hybrid
« Reply #17607 on: April 11, 2023, 10:17:04 am »
Front brake job done on the highlander.   I got everything out of the last set of pads, around a 1mm left  ;D.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #17608 on: April 11, 2023, 11:21:08 am »
Front brake job done on the highlander.   I got everything out of the last set of pads, around a 1mm left  ;D.

scrooge approved  :thumbup:

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-404
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #17609 on: April 11, 2023, 11:28:38 am »

What does "TheHire" reference anyhow?   The BMW shorts?   Been wonderin'

Yes sir. Madonna/Clive Owen video with the E39 M5... one of my favourite car videos of all time!

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17610 on: April 11, 2023, 11:56:00 am »
I thought we were changing to Mr Hire?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #17611 on: April 11, 2023, 12:14:07 pm »
What did you end up using for parts?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17612 on: April 11, 2023, 12:55:01 pm »
What did you end up using for parts?

Canadian tire,   $210.  Certified for rotors and  Pro-series OE for pads.

Didn't want to wait for delivery time.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #17613 on: April 11, 2023, 01:18:55 pm »
Do you guys always change rotors when doing pads? I never did with the Vibe and it seemed to brake just fine, but it seems like most do as a matter of course

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17614 on: April 11, 2023, 01:24:54 pm »
Do you guys always change rotors when doing pads? I never did with the Vibe and it seemed to brake just fine, but it seems like most do as a matter of course

No but this time one of the back of my rotor was grooved in/damaged  so I needed new ones.   I usually check the thickness with a tool and see what the specs is supposed to be.   In my experience I find smaller/lighter vehicles to have longer life span on the rotors so you can get through couple sets of pads before a new rotor. 

Edit: like this tool but i lost it couple years ago  ;D

« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 01:28:45 pm by WP v3.32 »

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17615 on: April 11, 2023, 01:33:40 pm »

Shops tend to as it reduces the chances of a customer coming back.

I tend to get 2-3 sets of pads on a rotor set.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #17616 on: April 11, 2023, 01:41:14 pm »
Like KTM said, most shops do it now, reduces comebacks, and it hardly makes sense to machine a rotor these days given labor costs vs. the cost of a new rotor.

I've reused rotors once and awhile, but only if they're in good shape (no rust, grooving, etc). European OE rotors tend to hold up, vs. other OEs where I find they're typically in pretty bad shape by the time you're replacing the pads.

Also, in the old days, most pads were semi-metallic so they'd chew through the thickness of the rotor, but also kept the surface of the rotor pretty clean...so if you had thickness left, you could run it. Now days, with most cars using Ceramic pads, they're 'easier' on the rotor in that they don't wear as much, but they're also less effective at removing rust and other contaminants from the braking surface. As well, most pads operate with a transfer layer of pad material on the rotor, if that starts to build up unevenly for whatever reason (poor break-in, contamination, etC), you'll get shudder/vibration from the rotor - this happens way more frequently with modern ceramic pads than it did with old semi-metallic stuff.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17617 on: April 11, 2023, 01:51:41 pm »
Like KTM said, most shops do it now, reduces comebacks, and it hardly makes sense to machine a rotor these days given labor costs vs. the cost of a new rotor.

I've reused rotors once and awhile, but only if they're in good shape (no rust, grooving, etc). European OE rotors tend to hold up, vs. other OEs where I find they're typically in pretty bad shape by the time you're replacing the pads.

Also, in the old days, most pads were semi-metallic so they'd chew through the thickness of the rotor, but also kept the surface of the rotor pretty clean...so if you had thickness left, you could run it. Now days, with most cars using Ceramic pads, they're 'easier' on the rotor in that they don't wear as much, but they're also less effective at removing rust and other contaminants from the braking surface. As well, most pads operate with a transfer layer of pad material on the rotor, if that starts to build up unevenly for whatever reason (poor break-in, contamination, etC), you'll get shudder/vibration from the rotor - this happens way more frequently with modern ceramic pads than it did with old semi-metallic stuff.

Good info here. I find I have to go do some repeated hard braking on the LR4 if the wife drives it too much in the city. It gets pad transfer and doesn't get "cleaned" up well enough. Some ahole driving by KTM takes care of that.

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17618 on: April 11, 2023, 01:56:38 pm »
Auto Value and Part source used to repolish rotors for cheap, like $7 each.  I don't think they do it anymore

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17619 on: April 11, 2023, 02:00:43 pm »

Interesting and good to know.  I think I've had more problems with rotors rusting and grooving since ceramic pads came along than ever before with metallic pads
Also now, the price of pads is nuts, looking for performance pads for the Miata and prices are nuts for those little things.