Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3043953 times)

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #17580 on: April 08, 2023, 09:12:05 pm »
On a more car-related note, I found out yesterday that I have broken tailgate hinge on the Outlander. I can certainly buy a new OEM hinge for about $100 but I was thinking to check out some of the used parts places.

I once got a part from Standard Auto Wreckers but had to drive all the way to Port Hope to pick it up from their warehouse.

Do you guys know good used parts places in GTA?

$100 for OEM, it's probably not worth driving around. Generally though, for used stuff, I like Pic N Save in Stoney Creek - really convenient location right at the QEW and Fruitland rd. Personable staff, clean orderly facility, etc.

Thanks for the site Firm. I never came across this site in my searches for some reason and it looks neat indeed. Interesting that they have the same price for any given part regardless the brand if I read it correctly.

New part is on order from the dealer- I realized like you said it's a cheap part (my price was even cheaper) and it's not the kind of part you want it to be 10+ years old anyway. My dealer friend also advised not to go used as they tend to go with age, so I took his advice as it made sense and ordered new. In fact I just texted him to order the other side as well so at least I take the tailgate apart once and done forever. The other side cannot be in much better shape anyway.

Offline Shorlaw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +17/-85
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Corvette GS, 2013XKR, 2018 Macan S
« Reply #17581 on: April 09, 2023, 11:15:27 am »
The Golf just rolled over 120k km which means it's due for an oil change, fuel filter change and DSG fluid change.

The last time I had this done it was $800 all in. This time it's going to be $1100.

I am now regretting not calling a couple of VW indies to see if I could have saved a couple of hundred bucks. :censor: me.
Holy crap!

DSG fluid is expensive.

A couple months ago when I had the Macan yearly service they asked if I wanted to do the PDK fluid change, or I could wait until next year....the quote as I recall was about $2000!   :o

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #17582 on: April 09, 2023, 02:06:41 pm »
The Golf just rolled over 120k km which means it's due for an oil change, fuel filter change and DSG fluid change.

The last time I had this done it was $800 all in. This time it's going to be $1100.

I am now regretting not calling a couple of VW indies to see if I could have saved a couple of hundred bucks. :censor: me.
Holy crap!

DSG fluid is expensive.

A couple months ago when I had the Macan yearly service they asked if I wanted to do the PDK fluid change, or I could wait until next year....the quote as I recall was about $2000!   :o

Sir you are a Porsche baller. Grab a coffee, bend over the service area couch, bite down on something and soon it will all be over. Porsche; there is no substitute.  ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #17583 on: April 09, 2023, 02:56:51 pm »

Holy crap!

DSG fluid is expensive.

I've sold Amsoil DSG/PDK fluid to a few local Porsche/VW guys.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-404
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #17584 on: April 09, 2023, 04:15:57 pm »

Holy crap!

DSG fluid is expensive.

My dad’s Panamera Turbo had a recall, so I booked it in at the dealer for it. They sent me a nice reminder email asking me what sort of lunch I’d want to pre order off their menu. I didn’t realize at the time but if you opt into this, they add $39.95 to your bill for the meal. Genius  ;D ;D
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17585 on: April 09, 2023, 05:30:45 pm »

Holy crap!

DSG fluid is expensive.

My dad’s Panamera Turbo had a recall, so I booked it in at the dealer for it. They sent me a nice reminder email asking me what sort of lunch I’d want to pre order off their menu. I didn’t realize at the time but if you opt into this, they add $39.95 to your bill for the meal. Genius  ;D ;D
I guess it depends what you get for your $40!

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #17586 on: April 09, 2023, 06:01:25 pm »

Holy crap!

DSG fluid is expensive.

So, when can can we expect this at your shop  :P

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17587 on: April 09, 2023, 06:05:23 pm »

Holy crap!

DSG fluid is expensive.

So, when can can we expect this at your shop  [emoji14]
This Supra/exotic tuning shop I used to frequent had a commercial hotdog roller/cooking thing. And they always had dogs on.

Was always one of my excuses for stopping in!

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #17588 on: April 09, 2023, 08:58:44 pm »
Well, it's been a few years since I've had to turn a wrench on the ole Slade, but she finally stung me. Saturday I decided to give it a good spring bath, so I moved it around in the driveway in the morning, it cranked a little slow, but had been sitting for a couple days, so I didn't think much of it. Gave it a nice wash, wiped down the interior, etc. Once done, I went to move it again - very slow crank, but started. Battery is only a year old (and a good AGM unit), so I tossed the charger on it for a few hours and 4ish hours later it was showing fully charged. Tried starting it, this time, it wouldn't crank fast enough to fire.  :(

So, brought out my battery tester, battery tested good. Checked the battery connections, cleaned the terminals, slid under and checked the main grounds, etc. Eventually diagnosed as a bad starter...At about 6pm on Saturday before Easter. My go to, PartSource, was closed, but a Canadian Tire about 20 minutes from me had one in stock, so I whipped over and grabbed it before closing.

So today, after the Easter egg hunt, I went out to swap the starter. Super tight access, but at least it's accessible without taking a bunch of other stuff apart. The worse part was getting the connections off the back, and then re-attaching them, the second worse part was the amount of grease/oil on everything from my 7 years of annual oil sprays...Just insanely greasy. Took about 1.5 hours, including 15 minutes of wresting the new unit back into position....Try it, cranking over great, but now it won't fire!

Turns out, the CPS is just above the starter and when I was wrestling with it I broke one of the wires going into the connector. Guess what though; in order to access that connector, the starter has to come back out....So, pulled it out again, got to the CPS connector, pulled it apart and re-pinned the broken wire, soldered it back up to the harness, got some heat shrink on it, and then wrestled the damn starter back into it's hole. Turning a 1.5 hour job into a 4 hour job. 

All is well now and the old girl cranks over stronger than ever...but what an irritating way to spend half a day, on Easter too.

Here's how I was working, had to work right where it was, luckily this all happened at home. Nice to be working near the sidewalk so I could greet all the Easter visitors in the neighborhood with grease up to my arm pits.  ;D

Here's the old unit....Looks pretty crusty, that primary wire from the solenoid to the unit looks pretty heavily corroded- that might have been the problem.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #17589 on: April 09, 2023, 11:08:19 pm »
Great work Firm. The tight jobs suck. I wouldn’t have the skill to repair a broken connector, that’s for sure. Always one of my fears when working on a vehicle that involves disconnecting wiring connectors.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17590 on: April 10, 2023, 01:02:11 am »
F my life what a pain!

But you got it toughed it out.

Nice work.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #17591 on: April 10, 2023, 09:08:34 am »
Thanks guys. It was a good feeling this morning when she cranked over nice and strong  :)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17592 on: April 10, 2023, 10:12:14 am »
Bonus marks for the oil stained cardboard.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #17593 on: April 10, 2023, 11:45:32 am »
LOL, wasn't that cardboard's first rodeo.

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17594 on: April 10, 2023, 11:55:17 am »
Nice work, Firm.  I'm always envious of you guys who have the skill to wrench on your vehicles.  The Escalade still looks fantastic BTW....you would NEVER think that car is the age that it is.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17595 on: April 10, 2023, 12:16:19 pm »
Nice work, Firm.  I'm always envious of you guys who have the skill to wrench on your vehicles.  The Escalade still looks fantastic BTW....you would NEVER think that car is the age that it is.

You just get in there and start taking stuff apart until you have no choice to fix it... You tube videos will guide the way.   ;D

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17596 on: April 10, 2023, 12:25:09 pm »

You just get in there and start taking stuff apart until you have no choice to fix it... You tube videos will guide the way.   ;D

I hear you....I am not handy, most stuff on my "honey do" list I watch a Youtube for some guidance.  But cars....I can't afford the downtime, and I shuffle small kids around....if I make a mistake, the consequences are high.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #17597 on: April 10, 2023, 01:14:49 pm »
F my life what a pain!

But you got it toughed it out.

Nice work.
:iagree:

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #17598 on: April 10, 2023, 03:27:11 pm »
Summer shoes installed. Needs a good bath, that'll happen later this week when we climb into the mid 20's...

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #17599 on: April 10, 2023, 05:42:10 pm »
I was going to do the tires today but ran out of motivation. I'll do them this week when it's nice.

I took the roof box off the car after 4 months. I don't see the whole family getting out skiing after this. I'm looking forward to less wind noise and better fuel economy.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.