Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3044060 times)

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #17540 on: April 06, 2023, 12:53:58 pm »
The Golf just rolled over 120k km which means it's due for an oil change, fuel filter change and DSG fluid change.

The last time I had this done it was $800 all in. This time it's going to be $1100.

I am now regretting not calling a couple of VW indies to see if I could have saved a couple of hundred bucks. :censor: me.
Holy crap!

DSG fluid is expensive.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #17541 on: April 06, 2023, 01:02:17 pm »
The Golf just rolled over 120k km which means it's due for an oil change, fuel filter change and DSG fluid change.

The last time I had this done it was $800 all in. This time it's going to be $1100.

I am now regretting not calling a couple of VW indies to see if I could have saved a couple of hundred bucks. :censor: me.
Holy crap!

DSG fluid is expensive.

It's special EU spec stuff!   ;D

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #17542 on: April 06, 2023, 01:07:54 pm »
It used to be $375 for the DSG fluid change, and now it's $645!  They said the price of the fluid has gone up.  If I find time I'll compare with my previous invoice.

One more reason to get a manual I suppose.  But I'm not sure my left knee would have been ok with it.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #17543 on: April 06, 2023, 01:10:57 pm »

Holy crap!

DSG fluid is expensive.

That was like the "special" hydraulic fluid my Audi 5000 took for the brakes/steering system, the stuff was $40-50/liter in the late 90s-early 2000s. Thats when I realized I wasn't in the right tax bracket for FGC yet
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #17544 on: April 07, 2023, 01:19:10 am »
It used to be $375 for the DSG fluid change, and now it's $645!  They said the price of the fluid has gone up.

Not missing my GTI now  ;D  That is crazy!

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #17545 on: April 07, 2023, 01:23:01 am »
More like what did my car do for me today? Asked if I wanted a cup of coffee so I said yes and am still waiting for it.

The winter tires are howling nice at 70 mph in the 85F heat but still quieter than the pickup trucks with tires that start at the fender going 80 mph.  I will say that the X-Ice-Snows drive really well considering how hot it is here. Have done many extremely twisty back roads to get to hikes and I can still push them pretty good. Obviously not like a proper summer tire but these are far from dangerous.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12403
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #17546 on: April 07, 2023, 08:52:10 am »
More like what did my car do for me today? Asked if I wanted a cup of coffee so I said yes and am still waiting for it.

The winter tires are howling nice at 70 mph in the 85F heat but still quieter than the pickup trucks with tires that start at the fender going 80 mph.  I will say that the X-Ice-Snows drive really well considering how hot it is here. Have done many extremely twisty back roads to get to hikes and I can still push them pretty good. Obviously not like a proper summer tire but these are far from dangerous.

If you HAD to dive year 'round on a set of winters, these would be the ones.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17547 on: April 07, 2023, 10:38:34 am »
They will be scrubbed by the time he is back.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #17548 on: April 07, 2023, 11:14:20 am »
Went to my favorite used car lot (the place we bought basically all our cars save for the Tundra and Civic) to ask if his detailer (the guy who rejuvenates his new stock) would be interested in detailing the interior of the CX-5.  Get it back to showroom condition, so to speak.  Answer is yes, and it'll only cost a Hundo or so.  I think I'll be happy with that.  It'll go in at the end of the month, once all the snow is gone. 

It's not that my car is 'dirty', I keep it trash free, but there's still a year's worth of grit, and dust, and whatever.  It'll be nice to get it freshened up.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17549 on: April 07, 2023, 11:39:47 am »
Went to my favorite used car lot (the place we bought basically all our cars save for the Tundra and Civic) to ask if his detailer (the guy who rejuvenates his new stock) would be interested in detailing the interior of the CX-5.  Get it back to showroom condition, so to speak.  Answer is yes, and it'll only cost a Hundo or so.  I think I'll be happy with that.  It'll go in at the end of the month, once all the snow is gone. 

It's not that my car is 'dirty', I keep it trash free, but there's still a year's worth of grit, and dust, and whatever.  It'll be nice to get it freshened up.

:thumbup:

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #17550 on: April 07, 2023, 01:18:07 pm »

Man I'm catching up to you mileage wise, I rolled over 119 yesterday. I guess you've got the two vehicles though.

Sounds like you should have gotten a manual, I think the fluid is cheaper   :stick: ;D. Seriously though I have a friend who still goes to myers and they seem to have gotten quite a bit more expensive lately.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17551 on: April 07, 2023, 02:41:11 pm »
We're driving a lot less now that my wife changed schools to one that is closer.  And we haven't been road tripping as much lately.

I'm now going to Hunt Club, but they were recently bought out by Meyers.

Their hourly rate for the filter change was $180/hr. For some reason it worked out to $160/hr for the DSG fluid change. 2.5hrs & $400

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #17552 on: April 07, 2023, 06:53:33 pm »

Holy crap!

DSG fluid is expensive.

That was like the "special" hydraulic fluid my Audi 5000 took for the brakes/steering system, the stuff was $40-50/liter in the late 90s-early 2000s. Thats when I realized I wasn't in the right tax bracket for FGC yet

Pentosin CHF 11S, it's burned into my brain.    Green gold  :P
Mr Pickypants

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #17553 on: April 07, 2023, 07:51:28 pm »
https://www.amazon.ca/Pentosin-8038207-KIT-Transmission-Fluid-Kit/dp/B01BGPR1HW

germanparts sell the fluid for $28 a litre.

Pricey but not outrageous.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17554 on: April 07, 2023, 10:15:22 pm »
The dealership charged $250 for the kit. So not THAT crazy of a mark up.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2023, 10:25:45 pm by tortoise »

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #17555 on: April 08, 2023, 01:20:06 am »

Holy crap!

DSG fluid is expensive.

$22.75 at EurDNA. Not a big deal....

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17556 on: April 08, 2023, 01:23:02 am »

$190 shipped tax in for Rein kit with Pentosin, filter, gasket, crush washer from RockAuto.. If you have a good specialized indy can get away cheaper.
I found small, one -man show, brand specific mechanics charge their actual time rather than "book time" and their rates are lower. In my experience they don't mind if you bring your own parts and fluids (I guess it saves time, which is money for them)....

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #17557 on: April 08, 2023, 08:38:21 am »

Holy crap!

DSG fluid is expensive.

Yeah, the price has actually come down over the years.

Was also hoping for another Canadian parts supplier in EurDNA, hadn't heard of them, but they don't include Porsche in their DNA.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17558 on: April 08, 2023, 09:39:31 am »

Holy crap!

DSG fluid is expensive.

Yeah, the price has actually come down over the years.

Was also hoping for another Canadian parts supplier in EurDNA, hadn't heard of them, but they don't include Porsche in their DNA.

They haven't been around for too long but I really like dealing with them not to mention they are very close to my place.
Their prices are slightly better than germanparts.ca and I like they have quite a few Genuine (VW, BMW) parts and fluids...
Also, if you don't find something online, you can ask and they'll get back to you very quickly and the guy I was dealing with was pretty knowledgeable.

At next opportunity will ask if they have plans to bring in Porsche parts too. They don't list Volvo or JLR either I think.

Aren't Porsche fluids the same as Audi/VW? At least you can get those ....
« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 09:51:49 am by Dante »

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-404
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #17559 on: April 08, 2023, 11:33:13 am »

$190 shipped tax in for Rein kit with Pentosin, filter, gasket, crush washer from RockAuto.. If you have a good specialized indy can get away cheaper.
I found small, one -man show, brand specific mechanics charge their actual time rather than "book time" and their rates are lower. In my experience they don't mind if you bring your own parts and fluids (I guess it saves time, which is money for them)....

Just remember; if you buy the part (at a small markup usually) from the shop where you're getting the work done, you will and should get a warranty on the labour as well. If you bring your own part (even if it's the same brand), there is zero incentive for the shop to cover the labour if the part f*cks off or is defective, which does happen more than you'd think like any product.

I get the logic behind shopping around to save every penny possible but whenever my clients have been allowed to bring their own parts, they are warned verbally and in writing that there is no warranty on the labour. You're paying me to remove the part, give it back to you to deal with, then possibly put the car outside while you go get a replacement, then put it back together. That small 10-20% markup makes up for this should the part have an issue - I eat the labour (it's rare for the supplier to provide any compensation for this) and my service team will work with the supplier to get a replacement part same day.

We had a CLS 63 on Thursday with a failed air shock. We were able to source MB OEM (expensive - not recommended) or Arnott (lifetime warranty, great aftermarket brand for about half of OEM), both same day. The customer begged and pleaded to bring their own part, and my service manager knows him personally so we let it slide. Guy brings a used MB unit that's in worse shape than the one we took out of the car. Confirmed this with him PRIOR to install, he said it's guaranteed from wherever he brought it from, put it in, car was back on the ground at a tilt within 5 minutes, during the technician's test drive. He ended up paying for labour twice and getting the Arnott unit. That's just what the customer sees.

How about the wasted shop time while other cars are waiting outside before a long weekend, or the service team having to spend the time to call this guy multiple times and sort it out, or the tech having to get pi$$y having to do it twice?

Just sharing another perspective here.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 11:37:21 am by TheHire »
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks