Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3044048 times)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #17520 on: April 03, 2023, 10:51:55 pm »
8 years this May 21st on the Mustang.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #17521 on: April 04, 2023, 11:30:38 am »
Chalk up another Kiyundai failure.

My manager has a ten year old Kia Forte with the 1.8L.  Engine went kaput on him a couple days ago.  He's got something like 148 000kms on it, so it sounds like he's just within the powertrain warranty period for the car.  He had it towed to the dealer to get looked at. 

As coincidence would have it, a year ago he factory ordered a Niro PHEV, and it just happened to show up yesterday.  He's been left with a bit of a sour taste in his mouth concerning Kia, now, but it sounds like if Kia offers him fair market value for his Forte, disregarding the blown engine, then it would go a long way towards making him feel a little better.  So, we'll see. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that a mainstream car with a mainstream engine should last longer than 148 000kms before blowing...

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #17522 on: April 04, 2023, 12:31:10 pm »
Chalk up another Kiyundai failure.

My manager has a ten year old Kia Forte with the 1.8L.  Engine went kaput on him a couple days ago.  He's got something like 148 000kms on it, so it sounds like he's just within the powertrain warranty period for the car.  He had it towed to the dealer to get looked at. 

As coincidence would have it, a year ago he factory ordered a Niro PHEV, and it just happened to show up yesterday.  He's been left with a bit of a sour taste in his mouth concerning Kia, now, but it sounds like if Kia offers him fair market value for his Forte, disregarding the blown engine, then it would go a long way towards making him feel a little better.  So, we'll see. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that a mainstream car with a mainstream engine should last longer than 148 000kms before blowing...

Anything under 250 to 300,000km is unacceptable.  You should be able to budget for 10 years of 25,000km per year duty, with proper maintenance.  Especially given middle income folks need 84/96 month financing to buy a family hauler these days.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17523 on: April 04, 2023, 12:37:41 pm »
So that's two people that I personally know and work with who have had problems with small Kias/Hyundais in the past year. 

The first was my co-worker who bought the used Tucson and the engine went into limp mode within a week, and displayed every indicator of imminent engine failure (that one was the 2.0L which is known to have tons of problems).  She's the one who returned it and got her money back, and went to buy a Gen IV 2.5NA CR-V, which has been good to her so far.

Now this.  And his Forte has the 1.8, which isn't as well known for failure as the 2.0NA, or the 2.0T.

Not to mention every single other problem that we've heard stories about.

Honestly, not that I've been recommending Hyundai or Kia to anybody in the last few years, but this is the final nail in the coffin.  Hyundai/Kia is officially persona non-grata when it comes to recommending any type of vehicle to anybody that I know. 

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17524 on: April 04, 2023, 12:55:08 pm »
So that's two people that I personally know and work with who have had problems with small Kias/Hyundais in the past year. 

The first was my co-worker who bought the used Tucson and the engine went into limp mode within a week, and displayed every indicator of imminent engine failure (that one was the 2.0L which is known to have tons of problems).  She's the one who returned it and got her money back, and went to buy a Gen IV 2.5NA CR-V, which has been good to her so far.

Now this.  And his Forte has the 1.8, which isn't as well known for failure as the 2.0NA, or the 2.0T.

Honestly, not that I've been recommending Hyundai or Kia to anybody in the last few years, but this is the final nail in the coffin.  Hyundai/Kia is officially persona non-grata when it comes to recommending any type of vehicle to anybody that I know.

Yup. 

And the more I think about it....lots of folks are spending $25k and up for CUVs with north of 150,000km, and I would assume they mostly think these vehicles have ample service life left in them.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #17525 on: April 04, 2023, 01:20:52 pm »
Provided proper maintenance, most modern engines should last well beyond 150k.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17526 on: April 04, 2023, 01:23:32 pm »
Provided proper maintenance, most modern engines should last well beyond 150k.

Like I said, at normal annual mileage, it would be nice to rely on the engine for at least the financing term.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #17527 on: April 04, 2023, 06:32:23 pm »

Yup. 

And the more I think about it....lots of folks are spending $25k and up for CUVs with north of 150,000km, and I would assume they mostly think these vehicles have ample service life left in them.

I recently bought a Volvo XC60 with 176k kms on it. I fully expect it to make 300k kms.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #17528 on: April 04, 2023, 08:31:17 pm »
Oil changes, oil changes.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17529 on: April 04, 2023, 08:36:25 pm »

My boss is the owner from new of the Forte, and has rigorously completed all maintenance. 

The engine is just a piece of crap.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17530 on: April 04, 2023, 09:12:56 pm »
Your boss fell into the long standing Korean vehicle value trap.  My comments regarding oil changes are directed towards the non discounters.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #17531 on: April 04, 2023, 10:03:37 pm »

My boss is the owner from new of the Forte, and has rigorously completed all maintenance. 

Not trying to defend Kiundai but did your boss change oil every 6,000 km? Was the oil filter replaced every time without a doubt?

Here is a 2011 Sonata at the Rainman Rays's garage. Look at the mileage (in miles)  :o

https://youtu.be/L0ryew_y0sw?t=75
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17532 on: April 04, 2023, 10:08:09 pm »

Not trying to defend Kiundai but did your boss change oil every 6,000 km? Was the oil filter replaced every time without a doubt?

Here is a 2011 Sonata at the Rainman Rays's garage. Look at the mileage (in miles)  :o

First four years every 6k at the dealer while he was paying for.it, then every 5k at home since.  He's quite pedantic and thorough, so I have no doubt it was all done properly.

Even if he has stretched intervals a little, there's no way an engine should.be failing at 150k.  That's bad design!

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #17533 on: April 04, 2023, 10:16:02 pm »

First four years every 6k at the dealer while he was paying for.it, then every 5k at home since.  He's quite pedantic and thorough, so I have no doubt it was all done properly.

Even if he has stretched intervals a little, there's no way an engine should.be failing at 150k.  That's bad design!

Yeah, shouldn't have happened.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #17534 on: April 06, 2023, 09:09:20 am »
The Golf just rolled over 120k km which means it's due for an oil change, fuel filter change and DSG fluid change.

The last time I had this done it was $800 all in. This time it's going to be $1100.

I am now regretting not calling a couple of VW indies to see if I could have saved a couple of hundred bucks. :censor: me.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #17535 on: April 06, 2023, 09:12:57 am »

I recently bought a Volvo XC60 with 176k kms on it. I fully expect it to make 300k kms.

whoa.   is that the old one with I6 or I5?   or the newer body style?  176k km is quite a bit.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17536 on: April 06, 2023, 11:31:04 am »

whoa.   is that the old one with I6 or I5?   or the newer body style?  176k km is quite a bit.

I5 please.  ;)  I6 2016 T6. Previous owner commuted between rural Manitoba (Lac du Bonnet)  and Canmore piling up a ton of highway kilometers. It never lived in a city. The rear brakes are original and the fronts were done for the first time just before I took ownership. It did see quite a bit of gravel but the interior is flawless (no kids, rear seat never used). That I6 is just broken in.  ;D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #17537 on: April 06, 2023, 11:31:45 am »

My brother/sister in laws are all about the Hyundai/Kia life. They bought some POS older Santa Fe that was a rattly, squeaky, :censor: box from the beginning and every time they came to see us out in Alberta, I would find another pile of work that needed to be done. That thing with the 4 banger blew under 200k kms. So they went out, and as full, intelligent adults, bought a brand spanking new Sportage a few years ago against all of mine, my wifes, their friends advice. This thing has under 80k kms and its already rattly and blowing blue smoke and they are meticulous, 5k km oil change/by the service manual types as they have no idea about cars. I couldn't imagine with all your choices on the market, walking into a Hyundai/Kia dealer and making such a huge gamble on dollar store quality :censor: with a nice veneer on it.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #17538 on: April 06, 2023, 11:35:22 am »

I5 please.  ;)  I6 2016 T6. Previous owner commuted between rural Manitoba (Lac du Bonnet)  and Canmore piling up a ton of highway kilometers. It never lived in a city. The rear brakes are original and the fronts were done for the first time just before I took ownership. It did see quite a bit of gravel but the interior is flawless (no kids, rear seat never used). That I6 is just broken in.  ;D

Nice!.  that I6 is powerful and smooth for sure...  probably would even pick it over the yamaha V8 they had in that body style.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17539 on: April 06, 2023, 11:45:54 am »

Nice!.  that I6 is powerful and smooth for sure...  probably would even pick it over the yamaha V8 they had in that body style.

The yamaha V8 was in the first generation XC90. This 2016 XC60 is the refresh of the first gen XC60. No Yamaha V8 in the XC60 ever.