Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3044392 times)

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #17460 on: March 02, 2023, 06:52:49 pm »
It doesn't matter what you drive,you can still be a car guy.
Kind of, if you are shopping for a brand new vehicle, and you end up in a Mitsubishi, no, you ain’t no car guy.  You are a misinformed buyer who is not aware of what the market truly has to offer.

Car guy doesn’t equal fun vehicle, but it does typically mean either getting something interesting or something that is competitive in the segment/budget that you are playing in.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #17461 on: March 02, 2023, 06:58:29 pm »

True. You can be a car guy and, as an example, contemplate driving a 20 y.o. Lexus LS because it has a V8, a "normal" tranny, hydraulic steering with decent feedback and so forth. Or, it can be a car that's easy to work on. Or it can be a super rare import. To each their own.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #17462 on: March 02, 2023, 07:20:19 pm »
Kind of, if you are shopping for a brand new vehicle, and you end up in a Mitsubishi, no, you ain’t no car guy.  You are a misinformed buyer who is not aware of what the market truly has to offer.

Car guy doesn’t equal fun vehicle, but it does typically mean either getting something interesting or something that is competitive in the segment/budget that you are playing in.

You are welcome to your opinion. I disagree . I think there is  a fellow on here who has had an Outlander for many years and it  has proven reliable. Dante ? There are many brands to chose from.  People buy what they want. Doesn't make them less of a car guy.
I've been a car guy for over 60 years. ;)
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #17463 on: March 02, 2023, 07:53:45 pm »
People, People, People, ... the appropriate terminology is car "person".  We forum members need to do a better job at being inclusive which has been bothering me for sometime.  Just thought I'd share.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #17464 on: March 02, 2023, 10:09:48 pm »
People, People, People, ... the appropriate terminology is car "person".  We forum members need to do a better job at being inclusive which has been bothering me for sometime.  Just thought I'd share.

Vehicle person.   ;D
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #17465 on: March 03, 2023, 01:04:17 am »

You are welcome to your opinion. I disagree . I think there is  a fellow on here who has had an Outlander for many years and it  has proven reliable. Dante ? There are many brands to chose from.  People buy what they want. Doesn't make them less of a car guy.
I've been a car guy for over 60 years. ;)

Yep, I do have a 2007 Outlander and yes, if you are a "car guy" or "car person" as Steve suggested, you would know that Mitsubishi was an engineering powerhouse for a long time and made some good vehicles over time. To me, because I know a bit about their place in the automotive history, the brand itself has more capital than some of the more popular brands.  However, most of their vehicles have been ugly, cheaply made, less refined, etc despite being reliable, which in the long run did not help them achieve commercial success in NA but the opposite.

After 16 years/240K+ ownership, I can tell anyone with an open mind, that the 2007 Outlander was and still is as reliable as a car can be at this age and mileage. The 3.0L V6+6AT+AWD powertrain (all in-house Mitsu designed and built) was rock solid and still is till this day and so was pretty much everything else. I would not consider or recommend the I4+CVT which was introduced in 2008/09. The engine is no BMW I6 smooth but it never missed a beat and still runs very well. AWD is excellent too for the application, as it's designed when Mitsu was still in the performance powertrain game.

Aside for reliability, what this car did/does really well for me to this date is the interior space and cargo versatility - it has features that others did not have at the time and even today ("stadium" raised rear seats, sliding/reclining rear seats, very low cargo floor and therefore good height behind the rear seats or with seats down, square rear, folding tailgate). For me the main rational to have an SUV is utility and versatility.... Oh...and it also had BT option even in the lower trims, which at the time was one of the hot tech features :) and rare if not unique in the class.

Honestly though, after 2007-09 Outlander, I did not like ANY of their products except the Evo. The current Outlander though is a huge improvement on all fronts and absolutely competitive in the segment IMO, but the powertrain (I4+CVT) disqualifies it for me just like most everything else in the segment.

As a "car person", there is nothing in the mainstream compact SUV class that would interest me. The whole segment, except for Mazda perhaps, is so freaking grim these days.... The Outlander is just one of many uninteresting vehicles...

I still have some hope that the upcoming Mazda CX-70 would do it for me....
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 01:08:22 am by Dante »

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #17466 on: March 03, 2023, 09:00:20 am »
I'm just a plain guy...also Mitsubishi...

Oops...that's not a good one...this one...the Highlander Super 100+ seater...get ALL your Autos.ca friends to wherever it is you're going.

Now that's a nice looking Mitsu... O0

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #17467 on: March 03, 2023, 10:21:08 am »
Too bad they canceled that program last month. I didn't even realize they were attempting to enter the regional jet market.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #17468 on: March 03, 2023, 11:04:11 am »
I used to love Mitsubishi, they used to be awesome, EVOs, Monteros, 3000GTs, Eclipses(the proper awd, turbo one, not that FWD POS), turbo Galants......so awesome. Now, they are rental car fleet fillers, I kinda have to agree Johnymac on this one. If you walk into a Mitsu dealer today and are wowed to the point of buying one, you aren't a car guy/gearhead.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #17469 on: March 03, 2023, 11:46:06 am »
Mitusubishi was riding high for a while, from what I understand at one one point they were looking at buying out Honda. Then it all fell apart in the late 90's/early 2000's in a bunch of screwups that they've never recovered from

I remember test driving a new Galant back in 2005 or so and it was just as horrible to drive and be in as a Dodge Caliber

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #17470 on: March 03, 2023, 02:20:56 pm »

Vehicle person.   ;D

:rofl2:  Even better

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #17471 on: March 04, 2023, 04:28:26 pm »
Been doing extensive research on sway bars for the Miata.  :P

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #17472 on: March 04, 2023, 08:46:36 pm »
DTS hadn't been touched in 2-3 weeks, sitting under it's cover at the end of the driveway, but after last nights big snow dump the snow banks were starting to encroach on it a little too much, so I decided to pull it out and dig the snowbanks back a bit. Still primarily working from home with only 2-3 trips to the office a month, so haven't had much use for it lately, and if I am just running local errands it's easier to hop in the Escalade. I did take it for a good ride today though.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #17473 on: March 04, 2023, 09:38:02 pm »
DTS hadn't been touched in 2-3 weeks, sitting under it's cover at the end of the driveway, but after last nights big snow dump the snow banks were starting to encroach on it a little too much, so I decided to pull it out and dig the snowbanks back a bit. Still primarily working from home with only 2-3 trips to the office a month, so haven't had much use for it lately, and if I am just running local errands it's easier to hop in the Escalade. I did take it for a good ride today though.

Looking sharp!

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #17474 on: March 05, 2023, 10:06:51 am »
Been doing extensive research on sway bars for the Miata.  :P

And what did you come up with?

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #17475 on: March 05, 2023, 10:59:48 am »

What is this madness?  You had a huge dump of snow less than 24hrs ago, and your street is already clear and dry. 

It's so cold here, the snow on our streets doesn't actually clear up until spring.  100% snow cover on residential roads all through winter.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #17476 on: March 05, 2023, 11:29:27 am »
lol, usually the roads are mucky for a few days afterwards....particularly my street as it's a crescent so doesn't get the same priority for clearing that most of the other residentials around here do. This last storm was unusual as it sat at 0C all night making for a big wet heavy snowfall, but by 8am or so it was sunny and on the positive side, by 10am it was like +5C and stayed there all day. By mid afternoon the roads were clear and dry - kinda weird. I also shoveled in a light sweater, no jacket....Felt like one of those Hallmark movies where there's tons of snow but everyone is walking around dressed like it's early fall.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #17477 on: March 05, 2023, 11:34:08 am »

Great looking car.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #17478 on: March 09, 2023, 06:02:47 pm »
Washed the Frontier this afternoon. Had to take a picture because it wont stay clean for long. Starting to get messy on the service road I take to bring the dog for his off leash walks.  Road is heavily rutted and soft this time of year and just the type of conditions where the Frontier shines, so to speak anyway.  ;D

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #17479 on: March 09, 2023, 06:03:59 pm »
Washed the Frontier this afternoon. Had to take a picture because it wont stay clean for long. Starting to get messy on the service road I take to bring the dog for his off leash walks.  Road is heavily rutted and soft this time of year and just the type of conditions where the Frontier shines, so to speak anyway.  ;D

Looking good!