Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3044355 times)

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #17440 on: March 01, 2023, 10:05:40 am »
Ouch! Well at least he missed the headlight

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #17441 on: March 01, 2023, 10:05:59 am »
^^ That will buff right out :)
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline Agiledood

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +32/-11
    • View Profile
    • Visit my site
« Reply #17442 on: March 01, 2023, 10:08:33 am »

:rofl2:

This car is cursed. The automotive gods are upset I sold my Mini JCW to get a 'family friendly' car. 2 windshield repairs within 3 weeks of getting it, someone hit the passenger side in the parking lot at Loblaws even though I parked far away from people, the boy scuffed the underside of the bumper at school a week ago, and then this. Oh, and a plastic bucket fell out of a truck on the highway I was following and scuffed the left bumper.

I apologize for angering the automative gods, I pledge to make this right!
2019 Mazda 3 GS-L, 2013 Ram 1500 and an EV that cost 5 times what my Mazda3 costs but is louder with a crappier interior.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #17443 on: March 01, 2023, 10:26:01 am »
It's a steel/plastic appliance, life happens. If you have kids drive something older that you really don't care about. A wayward tennis ball from the street hockey games smacks your car? No problem. Kid tips his bike on your fresh paint? Who cares. I can assure you that you won't remember the shiny paint on your vehicle 20 years from now but you will remember playing street hockey with your kids...

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #17444 on: March 01, 2023, 10:29:15 am »

^ That looks like it's most transfer and will 'buff right out'. Grab some Mequires Ultimate Compound and a couple microfibers and go to town. 

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17445 on: March 01, 2023, 10:36:09 am »
I was able to buff this out so it is possible to remove a lot of "damage"

Offline Agiledood

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +32/-11
    • View Profile
    • Visit my site
« Reply #17446 on: March 01, 2023, 10:42:20 am »
It's a steel/plastic appliance, life happens. If you have kids drive something older that you really don't care about. A wayward tennis ball from the street hockey games smacks your car? No problem. Kid tips his bike on your fresh paint? Who cares. I can assure you that you won't remember the shiny paint on your vehicle 20 years from now but you will remember playing street hockey with your kids...

the good thing is, he's taking auto shop in highschool and probably going to Mohawk for their body shop program in the fall so he can fix it himself!

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17447 on: March 01, 2023, 10:53:32 am »

the good thing is, he's taking auto shop in highschool and probably going to Mohawk for their body shop program in the fall so he can fix it himself!

Awesome. That will come out with just a little work.

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #17448 on: March 01, 2023, 11:40:03 am »

Something how there was so much scraping on the door but the fender flare stayed on. Parking garage pillar?

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17449 on: March 01, 2023, 11:45:04 am »

Something how there was so much scraping on the door but the fender flare stayed on. Parking garage pillar?

Absolutely. Daughter turned in a little too tight lol.  Tough flares held on by a ton of clips.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #17450 on: March 01, 2023, 10:28:16 pm »
At our place, we taught the kid that f-ing around the vehicles was a definite no go. We're car nuts! Having a kid doesn't mean I'm going to have dings in my cars. F that!  :)

We had a large backyard and a cul-de-sac. No reason to be playing anywhere near the cars if they were in the driveway.

Also taught him respect for other cars. Absolutely no flinging open doors. Doors are to be opened slowly so as not to touch the cars beside us. Absolutely drilled that into his head before every door opening.

Really taught him to respect our cars..and others. And still had fun playing ball hockey in the street!

Also, had great fun teaching him to recognize car brand emblems before he could read as we drove about!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #17451 on: March 01, 2023, 10:50:02 pm »
I have friends who kick the side of my car (like the side skirts) to remove snow off their boots. While I appreciate them not bringing snow into the car, kicking my car isn't the way to do it.  >:(  >:(

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #17452 on: March 02, 2023, 06:34:33 am »
I have friends who kick the side of my car (like the side skirts) to remove snow off their boots. While I appreciate them not bringing snow into the car, kicking my car isn't the way to do it.  >:(  >:(

Now that would be irritating.  I have a habit of kicking my feet together before placing them inside the vehicle but never on the car itself. 

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #17453 on: March 02, 2023, 02:20:24 pm »
I took a picture this morning!  Yay!  A picture!  ;D

You're welcome.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #17454 on: March 02, 2023, 02:33:19 pm »

Now that would be irritating.  I have a habit of kicking my feet together before placing them inside the vehicle but never on the car itself.

I kick my right boot against the left before I get in, then I give the left boot a few light taps on the car's rocker once I'm sitting.  :-[

Been doing this forever, and haven't noticed any damage to the vehicles. But I will admit I did it once or twice on the new Crosstrek and felt bad about it. Have been trying to get in the habit of doing it the other way (sit, then knock both boots together) but it's awkward and I feel kind of ridiculous doing it.  :-\

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17455 on: March 02, 2023, 04:33:35 pm »

I kick my right boot against the left before I get in, then I give the left boot a few light taps on the car's rocker once I'm sitting.  :-[

Been doing this forever, and haven't noticed any damage to the vehicles. But I will admit I did it once or twice on the new Crosstrek and felt bad about it. Have been trying to get in the habit of doing it the other way (sit, then knock both boots together) but it's awkward and I feel kind of ridiculous doing it.  :-\

Same here. But then again I lean my dirtbike against my truck   :o  ;D

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #17456 on: March 02, 2023, 06:16:12 pm »
So my Uncle's 2013 Mitsubishi Outlander packed up.  He had family visiting from France, so he took them on a road trip to Canmore for a week.  They were on their way back to Winnipeg last weekend in his Outlander when I guess it went into limp mode?  He limped it to the next closest town (Swift Current), where the car was then transported to a Mitsubishi dealer in Regina.  In the meantime, he had to ask another family member to rent a van in Winnipeg and drive to Regina to pick them all up and get them home. 

Anyway, I guess the dealer in Regina had a look at it, and the Outlander is mechanically totalled.  I'm not sure what's wrong with it exactly, but it sounds like the engine is blown, and there may be issues with the tranmission, too (Jatco CVT) 200k kms on the odometer, and 9 years old. 

So he's shopping for a new car.  Guess what he's shopping for.  A new base model Outlander.  Some people never learn, I guess?

Maybe the new Rogue based Outlander will be better than the old Mitsu, but I personally don't have faith in the Nissan 2.5 and the Jatco CVT that will be in it as well.

Anyway, not my money, not my problem.  My Uncle is a 'car guy' (so proud of his Mitsubishi), and fairly opinionated, so I don't think he'll appreciate any suggestions that I may have.  I'm keeping my nose well clear.  I'll congratulate him on his new Outlander, and leave it at that.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 06:18:33 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #17457 on: March 02, 2023, 06:29:47 pm »
So my Uncle's 2013 Mitsubishi Outlander packed up.  He had family visiting from France, so he took them on a road trip to Canmore for a week.  They were on their way back to Winnipeg last weekend in his Outlander when I guess it went into limp mode?  He limped it to the next closest town (Swift Current), where the car was then transported to a Mitsubishi dealer in Regina.  In the meantime, he had to ask another family member to rent a van in Winnipeg and drive to Regina to pick them all up and get them home. 

Anyway, I guess the dealer in Regina had a look at it, and the Outlander is mechanically totalled.  I'm not sure what's wrong with it exactly, but it sounds like the engine is blown, and there may be issues with the tranmission, too (Jatco CVT) 200k kms on the odometer, and 9 years old. 

So he's shopping for a new car.  Guess what he's shopping for.  A new base model Outlander.  Some people never learn, I guess?

Maybe the new Rogue based Outlander will be better than the old Mitsu, but I personally don't have faith in the Nissan 2.5 and the Jatco CVT that will be in it as well.

Anyway, not my money, not my problem.  My Uncle is a 'car guy' (so proud of his Mitsubishi), and fairly opinionated, so I don't think he'll appreciate any suggestions that I may have.  I'm keeping my nose well clear.  I'll congratulate him on his new Outlander, and leave it at that.
Unless you are driving an Evo or maybe a Montaro, you can not say you are a “car guy” and be driving a Mitsubishi.  Those are the only two Mitsubishi vehicles sold in our market the last two decades that are even remotely worthy of being in a “car guys” garage.

You are definitely smart in keeping your nose out of it. 

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #17458 on: March 02, 2023, 06:46:40 pm »
 It doesn't matter what you drive,you can still be a car guy.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #17459 on: March 02, 2023, 06:48:59 pm »

Unless you are driving an Evo or maybe a Montaro, you can not say you are a “car guy” and be driving a Mitsubishi.  Those are the only two Mitsubishi vehicles sold in our market the last two decades that are even remotely worthy of being in a “car guys” garage.

You are definitely smart in keeping your nose out of it.

Yes, best keep out of it and wish him the best.  If in the off chance that he did buy something based on your advice, and it turned out to be a lemon, he sounds like someone who would probably never let you live it down.  A coworker once asked me what I thought about the Outlander before he bought one in 2010(?) and he ended up buying one regardless of my opinion.  Turns out he's still driving it and has been relatively trouble free.  He claims it has been the best vehicle he's ever owned and reminds me of that every time i see him.  In fact all three of his vehicles are now Mitsu.   ;D