Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3044512 times)

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #17420 on: February 22, 2023, 11:57:31 pm »
Been running on five cylinders for the last couple days and couldn't get an appointment at my mechanic until Monday so on the way home from work I grabbed a coil pack and spark plug from Napa. Headed to my buddy's house down the road to use his garage after dinner and it turns out the coil pack was just loose. Car is back to running smoothly.

Good deal  :D Except for shopping at Napa ;)

For spark plugs and coils it's OK - NGK plugs and Bosch coils (I assume) are pretty much available everywhere....

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #17421 on: February 23, 2023, 12:13:43 am »
Been running on five cylinders for the last couple days and couldn't get an appointment at my mechanic until Monday so on the way home from work I grabbed a coil pack and spark plug from Napa. Headed to my buddy's house down the road to use his garage after dinner and it turns out the coil pack was just loose. Car is back to running smoothly.

For spark plugs and coils it's OK - NGK plugs and Bosch coils (I assume) are pretty much available everywhere....

[Ahem] Firm is probably saying a Canadian Tire store should have been on top of your list  ;)
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #17422 on: February 23, 2023, 09:09:25 am »

[Ahem] Firm is probably saying a Canadian Tire store should have been on top of your list  ;)

Or PartSource  ;D

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #17423 on: February 23, 2023, 09:22:28 am »
Napa is down the street from my office and the closest Canadian Tire is an absolute s***hole. Seriously an embarrassment. Firm, can you send someone down here to whip them into shape?  :)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #17424 on: February 23, 2023, 09:27:28 am »

Or PartSource  ;D

I often go to PartSource, but there website is just so bad.   Usually can't find anything  on it, just go there and ask if they have it.   Last week I needed an alternator belt for the Subaru, it's not listed in belts and hoses for that car, but they have it.   $40 bucks too, you'd think it was Loblaws
Mr Pickypants

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17425 on: February 23, 2023, 09:59:43 am »

Gotcha.... But does anyone actually buy car parts from Canadian Tires these days? Maybe tires, batteries, oil, filters, wipers and such....sure, but actual parts?

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #17426 on: February 23, 2023, 10:01:20 am »

Gotcha.... But does anyone actually buy car parts from Canadian Tires these days? Maybe tires, batteries, oil, filters, wipers and such....sure, but actual parts?
The few times I've ever bought parts from places outside of the dealer, I typically call all the local parts places and that includes Canadian Tire.  That being said, CT rarely has what I want in stock and is mostly more expensive to boot.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #17427 on: February 23, 2023, 10:27:33 am »

Depends on the area, here in the GTA where there are tons of dedicated parts houses, it's largely the stuff you cited, plus brakes and a few struts, a lot of which is installed at CT as well.  In some smaller towns though, CT is the only B&M place to get parts, so the mix of stuff going through those stores is very different.

PartSource is my go-to when I need stuff locally, most of them stock pretty deep and you're in/out a lot quicker than CT.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #17428 on: February 23, 2023, 10:30:54 am »
Napa is down the street from my office and the closest Canadian Tire is an absolute s***hole. Seriously an embarrassment. Firm, can you send someone down here to whip them into shape?  :)

The joys of a franchise dealer model   :D In my experience the vast majority of them take a ton of pride in their store, but there's always exceptions, which sucks.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #17429 on: February 23, 2023, 10:32:53 am »

The joys of a franchise dealer model   :D In my experience the vast majority of them take a ton of pride in their store, but there's always exceptions, which sucks.

Yeah, the store on the other side of town is infinitely better so I'll usually go there even if it is a bit out of the way.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17430 on: February 23, 2023, 12:11:12 pm »

Depends on the area, here in the GTA where there are tons of dedicated parts houses, it's largely the stuff you cited, plus brakes and a few struts, a lot of which is installed at CT as well.  In some smaller towns though, CT is the only B&M place to get parts, so the mix of stuff going through those stores is very different.

PartSource is my go-to when I need stuff locally, most of them stock pretty deep and you're in/out a lot quicker than CT.

Yeah, it makes sense. I did/do use nearby PartSource and even CT for general use items (e.g. bulbs) or sometimes items I know there is no better alternative anyway (e.g. reman calipers for Mitsu when I needed it right away).

I guess we are spoiled here (GTA) for choices. For FGC cars I have EuroDNA 15 min from my place and can pick up parts within the hour from the online order - if in stock and within business hours, so not much different from the B&M places.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #17431 on: February 23, 2023, 12:43:46 pm »

Yeah, it makes sense. I did/do use nearby PartSource and even CT for general use items (e.g. bulbs) or sometimes items I know there is no better alternative anyway (e.g. reman calipers for Mitsu when I needed it right away).

Can't remember what bulb it was that I bought, but it cost about 3 times as much at CT vs NAPA

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #17432 on: February 23, 2023, 08:34:10 pm »

If it's an emergency and in stock? Sure.

If it can wait a couple days or so...some online place.

Canadian Tire didn't even stock the wipers for my Prius!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #17433 on: February 23, 2023, 08:49:34 pm »

If it's an emergency and in stock? Sure.

If it can wait a couple days or so...some online place.

Canadian Tire didn't even stock the wipers for my Prius!

They prolly did, just had no idea what a Prius Prime was  ;D

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #17434 on: February 23, 2023, 09:58:01 pm »
Took it for a drive. The hydraulic steering on the BMW is phenomenal - a nice heavy weight and excellent feel. The suspension tuning is a perfect balance of firmness and comfort.

I'm thinking of selling her in the spring. It will be sad day.  :'(

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17435 on: February 23, 2023, 10:44:32 pm »
Took it for a drive. The hydraulic steering on the BMW is phenomenal - a nice heavy weight and excellent feel. The suspension tuning is a perfect balance of firmness and comfort.

Why sell it if you like it? You won't be able to buy anything like that newer and for reasonable $$$.

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #17436 on: February 24, 2023, 08:18:09 am »

Why sell it if you like it? You won't be able to buy anything like that newer and for reasonable $$$.

Agreed. Speaking from experience, I sold my 2008 back in 2011 and regretted it ever since.  Hence my re-purchase of a 2012 a while back.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #17437 on: February 25, 2023, 04:55:51 pm »
Rolled passed 240k km’s on the Tundra this week. I think the most impressive part is that all suspension and steering components are original. I haven’t been easy on this thing (used to tow an RV regularly down :censor: SK broken pavement highways) and the steering and suspension still feels solid. No clunks/rattles whatsoever.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #17438 on: February 25, 2023, 05:06:45 pm »
They were solid vehicles.  New versions are a whole different kettle of fish.

Offline Agiledood

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +32/-11
    • View Profile
    • Visit my site
« Reply #17439 on: March 01, 2023, 10:04:09 am »
well, it's not something I did to my car, but my wonderful child did.
2019 Mazda 3 GS-L, 2013 Ram 1500 and an EV that cost 5 times what my Mazda3 costs but is louder with a crappier interior.