Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3010546 times)

Online HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #17340 on: January 14, 2023, 11:06:41 am »
So I was lying in bed last night and had an Oh :censor:! moment.

Remembered that when I put the manifold back on yesterday, there was one end of the fuel line that I went to tighten, and was surprised that it was already tight. Thought it was weird, but instead of stopping to ask why it was weird, just thought Oh good and continued on.

So I went back this morning, removed a little bracket that was probably in the way of the wrench the first time, and got a good 1/4 extra turn on the nut.

Still not 100% sure that the seals aren’t leaking, but am cautiously optimistic.

Oh, and someone is driving out from the city to look at the car in half an hour. He’s 100% aware of the whole saga, and still interested enough to make the drive, so that’s positive.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #17341 on: January 14, 2023, 11:32:56 am »
May seem trivial, but are you sure you're totally bleeding all of the air out of the cooling system afterwards? I am not sure what the bleed procedure is on the GTI, but a lot of modern cars require some specific steps to get all the air out. If there's in the system sensors will get wonky readings and you'll get codes and other strange behavior.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #17342 on: January 14, 2023, 11:35:03 am »

Remembered that when I put the manifold back on yesterday, there was one end of the fuel line that I went to tighten, and was surprised that it was already tight. Thought it was weird, but instead of stopping to ask why it was weird, just thought Oh good and continued on.

So I went back this morning, removed a little bracket that was probably in the way of the wrench the first time, and got a good 1/4 extra turn on the nut.

Still not 100% sure that the seals aren’t leaking, but am cautiously optimistic.

Oh, and someone is driving out from the city to look at the car in half an hour. He’s 100% aware of the whole saga, and still interested enough to make the drive, so that’s positive.

Best cars  deals are found in Canmore.. Good luck on the sale!

Online HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17343 on: January 14, 2023, 11:38:39 am »
May seem trivial, but are you sure you're totally bleeding all of the air out of the cooling system afterwards? I am not sure what the bleed procedure is on the GTI, but a lot of modern cars require some specific steps to get all the air out. If there's in the system sensors will get wonky readings and you'll get codes and other strange behavior.

Yeah, I bought a vacuum bleeder when I did this the first time back in 2018. Hook it up to an air compressor and get -21 psi of pressure. Kept it there for a couple of minutes and had no leaks, then let the vacuum do its thing and suck in the new coolant.

Then, just for good measure, let it idle with the cap off for 20 minutes just to be sure. I’m pretty confident there’s no air in the system, but even if there was, I’d expect it to run hot, not cool.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #17344 on: January 14, 2023, 11:45:14 am »

Mike knows how to find a good deal.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Online HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17345 on: January 14, 2023, 01:36:28 pm »

Thanks!

Car is sold! Really happy with how it turned out. Buyer is a medical student from the city. Good kid and knows his way around cars. Gave him the full disclosure and enough of a break on the price that he can take it to a shop if he needs to and still end up with a good car at a fair price.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #17346 on: January 14, 2023, 01:47:42 pm »
Great news! I did the same with the Vibe when I saw the front strut was leaking. Luckily it was at the last minute so I wasn't tempted to try and fix it myself, just handed him back some of the money he gave me and let him know what exactly the problem was

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17347 on: January 14, 2023, 02:45:06 pm »

Thanks!

Car is sold! Really happy with how it turned out. Buyer is a medical student from the city. Good kid and knows his way around cars. Gave him the full disclosure and enough of a break on the price that he can take it to a shop if he needs to and still end up with a good car at a fair price.

:thumbup:

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #17348 on: January 14, 2023, 06:33:27 pm »
13 hours yesterday and another hour or so today to finish it up. Why so long? Because after I got it 95% put back together I discovered I'd pinched a wire behind the intake manifold and it wouldn't reach its connector. Had to take the whole goddamned thing apart and start over again.  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

And the best part? Got it running today and the problem is exactly the damn same. Will drive it around again this afternoon and see if the code comes back, but I expect it will. I am so facking over dealing with this it's incredible.  :surrend: :surrend: :surrend:

WTH? That is pretty crazy.

Second new thermostat isn't working? Can they be installed upside down or something?

No way to install this one upside down. Honestly have no idea what the hell is going on, but I’m done with it.

And the best part? I’ve pulled the intake manifold off so many times now that I think the fuel injector seals are leaking: there’s a gas smell after it’s been sitting, and it doesn’t catch right away on the first crank like it’s done forever.

Oh, and wait, it gets better! I’ve had a full set of new injector seals sitting on the bench since 2018! No idea why I didn’t just use the damned things. Old ones looked fine, I guess. SMDH.  ::)

Well, that was an epic repair.  Glad you got it sorted and sold
Mr Pickypants

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #17349 on: January 14, 2023, 10:47:12 pm »
Forgot to add, they gave me an estimate for a timing belt change/water pump change.

$2100+tax

Just got an estimate for the wife’s MDX. $1200 from Honda with water pump and tensioner. They’ll inspect at the time. $550 labour + belt without the pump/tensioner. I’ll be calling an indy also but it seems reasonable.

If you are getting a Honda pump/tensioner that is a good price.

Ya, that’s Honda parts. Called an Indy on Thursday, $1220 + tax with continental belt/pump/tensioner kit. He said he can use a Honda belt for a few more dollars. My gut tells me to just take it to Honda, but developing a relationship with an Indy isn’t a bad thing, plus supporting a smaller business.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17350 on: January 15, 2023, 11:13:50 am »
Replace passenger side wiper on SW2, due to broken plastic holding clip but the shocking part it was only 6 month old or so... :shuffle:
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17351 on: January 15, 2023, 03:53:22 pm »
Replace passenger side wiper on SW2, due to broken plastic holding clip but the shocking part it was only 6 month old or so... :shuffle:

winter is tough. Love the greenhouse on the Saturn.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #17352 on: January 17, 2023, 03:00:55 pm »
Took the 328 to BMW Moncton and finally got the outstanding recalls taken care of.  326 km up and back …..I’d forgotten how nice that car on a road trip  :)
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12390
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #17353 on: January 21, 2023, 03:30:38 pm »
3M film on the new front bumper.

Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #17354 on: January 21, 2023, 03:47:22 pm »
New front bumper? Did you have an accident?

I've been doing research on some suspension upgrades for the Miata. NC1 suspension is very soft, has tons of body roll and also has a large wheel gap. A proper coilover or spring+shock/strut kit, plus install, is quite costly. Limited options in Canada too.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #17355 on: January 21, 2023, 04:28:40 pm »

I've been doing research on some suspension upgrades for the Miata. NC1 suspension is very soft, has tons of body roll and also has a large wheel gap. A proper coilover or spring+shock/strut kit, plus install, is quite costly. Limited options in Canada too.

Some chucklehead backed into my car while it was parked on the street. Cracked the bumper and grille.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17356 on: January 21, 2023, 04:59:21 pm »

Some chucklehead backed into my car while it was parked on the street. Cracked the bumper and grille.

On your own dime or through insurance? Wouldn't insurance automatically assume you hit something?

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #17357 on: January 22, 2023, 10:20:47 am »

Been there done that. Had an NC ,lowered it with Mazdaspeed springs. You will scrape on everything. You could start with better sway bars.
 Yes it is pricey here in Canada. The worse thing I found with the NC was the bump steer in the turns. 
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #17358 on: January 22, 2023, 11:53:35 am »

I just saw a set of Ohlins coilover shocks for mine for sale.   Tempting, but it's $2k Canadian.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17359 on: January 22, 2023, 11:59:34 am »

On your own dime or through insurance? Wouldn't insurance automatically assume you hit something?

Since the perp didn't stick around, I had to claim on my insurance. They required that I file a police report on the hit and run. I was out my $500 deductible on what was a $3200 claim. Other than having to wait 2 months on the part, repair process was quick and smooth.