Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3010591 times)

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #17320 on: January 10, 2023, 08:24:40 pm »
That's the dealer.... Hopefully an indie is less

Where do you go for indy work?

I found Autobahn in Kars to be quite inexpensive - they seem to not mark-up their parts as much. $117 / hour.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #17321 on: January 10, 2023, 09:02:11 pm »
The Highlander goes to Dirienzo & Saikaley Automotive. And the Golf for regular stuff like brakes. I've been going there forever and like dealing with them.

For more TDI specific work it's been the dealer.  But I'll have to shop around for the timing belt.  Advanced Auto Works comes highly recommended in the TDI world.

I've also been really impressed with SMRO Auto Repair.

Good to know about Autobahn, thanks.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7211
    • View Profile
« Reply #17322 on: January 10, 2023, 09:04:41 pm »
The Highlander goes to Dirienzo & Saikaley Automotive. And the Golf for regular stuff like brakes. I've been going there forever and like dealing with them.

For more TDI specific work it's been the dealer.  But I'll have to shop around for the timing belt.  Advanced Auto Works comes highly recommended in the TDI world.

I forget which Audi/VW specialty shop raped me in Ottawa.....

While they came very highly recommended by AngryChicken, I think I was the recipient of "out-of-towner" nonsense.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 09:06:21 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17323 on: January 10, 2023, 10:38:23 pm »

While they came very highly recommended by AngryChicken, I think I was the recipient of "out-of-towner" nonsense.
I find prices for things vary greatly depending on the job, for each shop. One might charge 1600 for brakes but only 110 for an oil change. Another charges 1000 for brakes but 150 oil change. Same parts and supplies.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #17324 on: January 10, 2023, 10:42:19 pm »
Forgot to add, they gave me an estimate for a timing belt change/water pump change.

$2100+tax

Just got an estimate for the wife’s MDX. $1200 from Honda with water pump and tensioner. They’ll inspect at the time. $550 labour + belt without the pump/tensioner. I’ll be calling an indy also but it seems reasonable.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 11:19:04 pm by bridgecity »
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17325 on: January 10, 2023, 10:56:35 pm »

I find prices for things vary greatly depending on the job, for each shop. One might charge 1600 for brakes but only 110 for an oil change. Another charges 1000 for brakes but 150 oil change. Same parts and supplies.

Angry Chicken texted me back!

The place was called Autostrada that hosed me.  Apparently they are closed now.

He also said Rodger Performance is good "but expensive".  He added they are Unitronic dealers.   ;D  Might as well get a tune with that new waterpump!!   ;D

He also said Automark is very well reviewed/regarded by local VW/Audi community.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17326 on: January 10, 2023, 11:29:04 pm »

Angry Chicken texted me back!

The place was called Autostrada that hosed me.  Apparently they are closed now.

He also said Rodger Performance is good "but expensive".  He added they are Unitronic dealers.   ;D  Might as well get a tune with that new waterpump!!   ;D

He also said Automark is very well reviewed/regarded by local VW/Audi community.

I've used Autostrada (new front struts) and Rodgers Performance (tire install). I thought Autostrada was ok pricing wise, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17327 on: January 10, 2023, 11:36:30 pm »
^^Perhaps they were just fine for you. 

But I can tell you from my end, they absolutely took advantage of the fact I was an out-of-towner.  Everything from part price to exorbitant amount of time to do the prescribed work.  They also did front struts on my car..and the labour for that alone was 6 hours IIRC.  For 2 struts!

Just really bad.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 11:48:04 pm by rrocket »

Online HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #17328 on: January 11, 2023, 08:03:56 pm »
FedEx delivered the new thermostat this afternoon, right around the same time I get an email from a guy wanting to come look at the car. I put him off until Friday, but now the pressure’s on to get this thing fixed (again ::) )

Not too worried. Everything is fresh in my memory, so should go much quicker this time around. And I’ve also driven it only a few hundred km since the first fix, so hopefully I can skip the carbon cleaning this time.  ;)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17329 on: January 11, 2023, 08:15:42 pm »
so hopefully I can skip the carbon cleaning this time.  ;)

:rofl: :rofl2: :rofl: :rofl2:

Online HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17330 on: January 11, 2023, 08:24:45 pm »
^^  ;D

I’m actually kind of curious to see how they look. They were a disaster after only 40,000 km. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if there’s already a tiny bit of a black film on there.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17331 on: January 11, 2023, 08:32:07 pm »
^^  ;D

I’m actually kind of curious to see how they look. They were a disaster after only 40,000 km. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if there’s already a tiny bit of a black film on there.

Maybe you need to make an effort to polish to a high lustre so the carbon sticks less?   :rofl: :rofl2: :rofl: :rofl2:

Online HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17332 on: January 11, 2023, 08:39:36 pm »
^^  ;D

Maybe you need to make an effort to polish to a high lustre so the carbon sticks less?   :rofl: :rofl2: :rofl: :rofl2:

Won’t be my problem anymore. New owner will start with clean valves, but the rest is on him.  :)

Online HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17333 on: January 13, 2023, 03:40:43 pm »
13 hours yesterday and another hour or so today to finish it up. Why so long? Because after I got it 95% put back together I discovered I'd pinched a wire behind the intake manifold and it wouldn't reach its connector. Had to take the whole goddamned thing apart and start over again.  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

And the best part? Got it running today and the problem is exactly the damn same. Will drive it around again this afternoon and see if the code comes back, but I expect it will. I am so facking over dealing with this it's incredible.  :surrend: :surrend: :surrend:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17334 on: January 13, 2023, 06:54:21 pm »
Put the new wiring harnesses in the Audi. 1/2 hour. 2 bulb bottoms were completely flat and appeared to be melted.

Still a poorly designed set up. Also...wires seem thin compared to domestic and Japanese stuff.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #17335 on: January 13, 2023, 07:06:40 pm »
Put the new wiring harnesses in the Audi. 1/2 hour. 2 bulb bottoms were completely flat and appeared to be melted.

Still a poorly designed set up. Also...wires seem thin compared to domestic and Japanese stuff.

Audi has used small wires for quite  a while, electrically they're large enough, but they are delicate.
Mr Pickypants

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #17336 on: January 13, 2023, 07:12:49 pm »
Forgot to add, they gave me an estimate for a timing belt change/water pump change.

$2100+tax

Just got an estimate for the wife’s MDX. $1200 from Honda with water pump and tensioner. They’ll inspect at the time. $550 labour + belt without the pump/tensioner. I’ll be calling an indy also but it seems reasonable.

If you are getting a Honda pump/tensioner that is a good price.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17337 on: January 13, 2023, 07:15:02 pm »

Audi has used small wires for quite  a while, electrically they're large enough, but they are delicate.

Yes they are!

First thing I thought of when I saw them was they reminded me of those small wires inside children's electronic toys.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #17338 on: January 13, 2023, 07:42:26 pm »
13 hours yesterday and another hour or so today to finish it up. Why so long? Because after I got it 95% put back together I discovered I'd pinched a wire behind the intake manifold and it wouldn't reach its connector. Had to take the whole goddamned thing apart and start over again.  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

And the best part? Got it running today and the problem is exactly the damn same. Will drive it around again this afternoon and see if the code comes back, but I expect it will. I am so facking over dealing with this it's incredible.  :surrend: :surrend: :surrend:

WTH? That is pretty crazy.

Second new thermostat isn't working? Can they be installed upside down or something?

Online HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17339 on: January 13, 2023, 10:29:12 pm »

WTH? That is pretty crazy.

Second new thermostat isn't working? Can they be installed upside down or something?

No way to install this one upside down. Honestly have no idea what the hell is going on, but I’m done with it.

And the best part? I’ve pulled the intake manifold off so many times now that I think the fuel injector seals are leaking: there’s a gas smell after it’s been sitting, and it doesn’t catch right away on the first crank like it’s done forever.

Oh, and wait, it gets better! I’ve had a full set of new injector seals sitting on the bench since 2018! No idea why I didn’t just use the damned things. Old ones looked fine, I guess. SMDH.  ::)