Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3010287 times)

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #17200 on: December 29, 2022, 11:56:04 pm »
Maybe "glue" is not the right word to describe it, but it's 2 parts joined together and the joint fails over time, for example due to cold/heat cycles....

My favorite part I came across in the BMW is this hose/pipe/cable holder... At first I was wondering how to use it but it was very easy and clever once I put it in - can use it only one way and it becomes obvious how once in place.

Yet, I'm sure other manufacturers use some simpler alternative for the same purpose.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 12:00:32 am by Dante »

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #17201 on: December 30, 2022, 10:57:36 am »
Guess I should add that, I replaced the coolant reservoir on the Cayenne today, not too bad a job, considering the first instruction is remove headlight.

You need the headlight out to reach a bolt that holds a torque arm that holds the engine.  It has to come out to get the reservoir out.  In a feat of supreme German engineering, the bolt heads are 16mm, a size that doesn't exist in wrench  or socket sets, you have to use a 5/8" socket on a long extension.

Anyhow, Mahle reservoir, $162 plus tax.  Maybe an hour to change it at a leisurely pace.   Seems ok now.

Dealing with the BMW leaky coolant expansion tank now - known to fail with age.

How does the Porsche one fail? BMW's is made out of 2 pieces glued together.... when it ages, it leaks along the seam all around. Around $100 - Mahle from RA.

In our case it went POOF in the MIL's driveway.   There is a large crack across the bottom now.
The Youtube video I watched was great, they guy was changing the one on his turbo for the 3rd time so thought he'd document it.   He was trying a Uro brand this time.

They have 3 pressure fittings and a drain,  a low level sensor built in, which is handy.
Mr Pickypants

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #17202 on: January 02, 2023, 10:44:49 am »
Did an oil change on the Tundra yesterday. Nothing abnormal to report.

I ordered a blower motor from Rockauto as the original is chirping until the truck is warmed up in temps below -20. When I pulled it out of the box there was a piece of plastic jamming the fan wheel. I could see the motor housing was cracked, and the chunk of plastic was from the housing. I pulled the piece of plastic out and thought I’d try the blower regardless. Three screws and the electrical connector and the old one was out. However, the new one is super noisy. It’s getting returned. The brand is Four Seasons and overall quality seems junky. It was the second most expensive option. I’ll jump up a price level and see how that goes.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17203 on: January 02, 2023, 11:01:37 am »
However, the new one is super noisy. It’s getting returned. The brand is Four Seasons and overall quality seems junky. It was the second most expensive option. I’ll jump up a price level and see how that goes.

Since you have the original out see if you can identify the OE manufacturer.
If not, look for one made by Valeo, Mahle/Bher, VDO/Continental...these are OEM suppliers for many manufacturers and typically their aftermarket parts are OK.
I recently replaced the blower motor in the Outlander and while the original was made by Mitsubishi Electric (can't find aftermarket), I went for the next known brand available at RA - VDO/Continental. Made in China of course but it seems to be fine - perfectly quiet and does the job.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #17204 on: January 02, 2023, 11:11:25 am »
I remember I made that mistake with the Civic: blower fan was old and screechy so I bought a cheaper replacement. Replacement was OEM (Bosch, IIRC) but not the actual OE unit.

The original fan had a thick, plastic housing, while the replacement was basically just bare metal. It mounted up and worked fine, but was noisy. Not noisy like it wasn’t working properly, just noisy like a cheap fan. I just lived with it, but the noise irritated me until I sold the car.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17205 on: January 02, 2023, 11:15:21 am »
However, the new one is super noisy. It’s getting returned. The brand is Four Seasons and overall quality seems junky. It was the second most expensive option. I’ll jump up a price level and see how that goes.

If not, look for one made by Valeo, Mahle/Bher, VDO/Continental...these are OEM suppliers for many manufacturers and typically their aftermarket parts are OK.
I recently replaced the blower motor in the Outlander and while the original was made by Mitsubishi Electric (can't find aftermarket), I went for the next known brand available at RA - VDO/Continental. Made in China of course but it seems to be fine - perfectly quiet and does the job.

The “up level” option is VDO/continental so I’ll just go with that. The OE one is back in the truck. Funny, it felt smoother than the brand new one from Four Seasons. The VDO is only about $30 more than the Four Seasons. A local shop an off brand option for $230 whereas the VDO is about $140. Not sure what the Toyota price would be. Likely don’t want to know.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17206 on: January 02, 2023, 12:01:41 pm »
If my experience with VDO/Continental is any indication, it will probably be just fine.
Although it comes in a white box with a plain sticker that says VDO/Continental and made in China, the construction was very similar to the original and it was a perfect fit.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #17207 on: January 02, 2023, 01:42:06 pm »
I replaced my blower fan with a Valeo one in the BMW a few years ago. I always check the warranty when buying parts on RockAuto. Valeo is limited lifetime (whatever that means) vs. other brands.

The Miata's blower fan is also pretty noisy, so I might replace it in the spring. Or not, since its meant to be driven top down anyways.  ;D

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #17208 on: January 02, 2023, 02:24:44 pm »
Sometimes they're just dirty. If it's an easy one to access, it's worth pulling it out and giving it a good cleaning before replacing it. Escalade takes about 2 minutes to remove, so when it got noisy a few years back I pulled it out, cleaned all the nasty off, and put it back in.....5-6 years later, still running quiet. Wasn't anything crazy in it, but lots of that dark dust type stuff on the fins, I think that creates drag and noise.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17209 on: January 02, 2023, 02:25:01 pm »
I replaced my blower fan with a Valeo one in the BMW a few years ago. I always check the warranty when buying parts on RockAuto. Valeo is limited lifetime (whatever that means) vs. other brands.

Yeah, Valeo is OEM on my BMW E90 and many, if not most, BMWs...luckily available at RA - both the blower fan and the regulator and they are identical to the original.
I took mine out last year and I was ready to replace it, but in the end I got away with only cleaning and lubrication. It's been quiet ever since.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 02:26:55 pm by Dante »

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17210 on: January 02, 2023, 05:30:28 pm »
Sometimes they're just dirty. If it's an easy one to access, it's worth pulling it out and giving it a good cleaning before replacing it. Escalade takes about 2 minutes to remove, so when it got noisy a few years back I pulled it out, cleaned all the nasty off, and put it back in.....5-6 years later, still running quiet. Wasn't anything crazy in it, but lots of that dark dust type stuff on the fins, I think that creates drag and noise.

Thanks for the tip Firm.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #17211 on: January 02, 2023, 05:37:55 pm »

The one in my Equator/Frontier would get moisture in it and if you let it sit too long, seize.   I recently had to remove it and lube the bearings, freed it up and worked perfectly again.

I had one in an Audi that forever would shoot out maple seeds, but was too much of a PITA to remove to clean.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #17212 on: January 02, 2023, 06:25:33 pm »
Got a dead fob going for my step daughter's 2009 Tiguan

First changed the battery, a bit of a job as there is two fob designs and this one was the 'alternate'. So after following a few youtube videos and prying on a cover that was not coming off, found another that showed how this one had to be split lengthwise with a screwdriver first, then easy-peasy

Still did not work, but some more hunting showed these fobs can become unsynchronized if the buttons are pressed when away from the car. Pried off a cover on the door handle to reveal a hidden keyhole, pressed the unlock button on the remote, then manually unlocked the car with the key

Presto, one working fob again

Note, really enjoyed driving this vehicle, but as not familiar with German stuff was always googling simple things

-turn on fog lights? Selector would not twist no matter what I did. Turned out it had to be pulled out a quarter inch and then twisted, like opening some sort of safe

-fold rear seats? Looked in vain for buttons or catches, turned out to be a little loop down by the hinge

-drop headrest? No little button where they go into the seat, but a button on the inside of the headrest itself, where you can't see it

-wipers? Lever up, not lever down. Rear wipers, push away, not twist

Test driving a wide variety of vehicles must be interesting
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 06:50:00 pm by PJungnitsch »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #17213 on: January 02, 2023, 07:03:03 pm »

The “up level” option is VDO/continental so I’ll just go with that. The OE one is back in the truck. Funny, it felt smoother than the brand new one from Four Seasons. The VDO is only about $30 more than the Four Seasons. A local shop an off brand option for $230 whereas the VDO is about $140. Not sure what the Toyota price would be. Likely don’t want to know.
$190 CDN I think

https://www.toyotapartsdirect.ca/p/47920549/871030C040.html
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17214 on: January 02, 2023, 07:04:52 pm »

First changed the battery, a bit of a job as there is two fob designs and this one was the 'alternate'. So after following a few youtube videos and prying on a cover that was not coming off, found another that showed how this one had to be split lengthwise with a screwdriver first, then easy-peasy

Still did not work, but some more hunting showed these fobs can become unsynchronized if the buttons are pressed when away from the car. Pried off a cover on the door handle to reveal a hidden keyhole, pressed the unlock button on the remote, then manually unlocked the car with the key

Note, really enjoyed driving this vehicle, but as not familiar with German stuff was always googling simple things

-turn on fog lights? Selector would not twist no matter what I did. Turned out it had to be pulled out a quarter inch and then twisted, like opening some sort of safe

-fold rear seats? Looked in vain for buttons or catches, turned out to be a little loop down by the hinge

-drop headrest? No little button where they go into the seat, but a button on the inside of the headrest itself, where you can't see it

Does it have rear fog lights?

Always fun when you forget that on and parole start telling you something is wrong with taillight.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #17215 on: January 02, 2023, 08:15:14 pm »

Yep, typical German stuff. That key fob, including the internals, looks nearly identical to the ones my SLKs had....I think I still have a spare shell or two hanging around. I like them, hefty feeling, and the spring action on the blade is nice and crisp  ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17216 on: January 02, 2023, 11:51:52 pm »

Yep, typical German stuff. That key fob, including the internals, looks nearly identical to the ones my SLKs had....I think I still have a spare shell or two hanging around. I like them, hefty feeling, and the spring action on the blade is nice and crisp  ;D
Our 2009 has the dumb design.

It's still a key fob. But no key blade needed for ignition.

And you still have to stick this "key" in the ignition anyways.

Sooooo dumb.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 12:12:40 am by rrocket »

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17217 on: January 03, 2023, 02:59:14 pm »
Our 2009 has the dumb design.

It's still a key fob. But no key blade needed for ignition.

And you still have to stick this "key" in the ignition anyways.

Sooooo dumb.

Early days of "push start/stop button" I guess... my BMW key works the same way and other Euro cars of that vintage too (I know Renault had a similar system back then).

My BMW key does not have a replaceable battery either (assume Audi is the same?!) - it has a built-in battery which is rechargeable while driving. Also the key holds vehicle info like VIN, current odo reading and probably other bits of info (service info). This allows the BMW dealer SA to read the necessary info directly from the key when creating the service WO.... I find that pretty neat feature for its time.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 03:06:23 pm by Dante »

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #17218 on: January 03, 2023, 03:14:12 pm »
Something how quickly things change, and how quickly you get used to it

Both our vehicles now have proximity fobs, so I kept trying to get in the Tiguan without unlocking it, let alone wrapping my head around starting the thing with an actual insert and twist key

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #17219 on: January 03, 2023, 03:18:38 pm »
What's really bad (can't believe I'm saying this) is the reverse.  Using FOBs for years and then having to use a key.   :rofl2: