Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3010132 times)

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #17180 on: December 29, 2022, 05:39:46 pm »

I've never had any such issues with a GM lamp.....In fact, it's extremely rare that I've even replaced bulbs in a GM. Consistent voltage makes for long-life.

This is what boggles my mind and irritates me endlessly.

If poor-qualty-80s-GM can figure out a taillight, WTF is Audis excuse?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17181 on: December 29, 2022, 05:42:20 pm »
Why do you guys continue to buy shi#ty German cars?  Aside from Porsche...(they are in a diff boat aren't they?) is there such a thing as a non-FGC??

I have no long term experience with them, let alone any having done any repairs, but I'm beginning to understand what all the fuss is about. Rainman Ray's youtube channel just published two vids, one of them on the air ride shock replacement and I gotta say it is impressive to watch how complex and well put together those bits and pieces are. Forgot to mention the car in question is a 2006 cls 500. It would be scary to own but with deep enough pockets I can see why ppl do.

One of the problems with FGCs...is, as you point out the complexity.  But what makes Germans different is they are NEEDLESSLY complex.  Complex just for the sake of it seemingly.

I'll see the exact same part in a Japanese car...and it's elegantly designed.  German car?  Ridiculously complex for no good reason.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #17182 on: December 29, 2022, 05:46:59 pm »
Why do you guys continue to buy shi#ty German cars?  Aside from Porsche...(they are in a diff boat aren't they?) is there such a thing as a non-FGC??

I have no long term experience with them, let alone any having done any repairs, but I'm beginning to understand what all the fuss is about. Rainman Ray's youtube channel just published two vids, one of them on the air ride shock replacement and I gotta say it is impressive to watch how complex and well put together those bits and pieces are. Forgot to mention the car in question is a 2006 cls 500. It would be scary to own but with deep enough pockets I can see why ppl do.

One of the problems with FGCs...is, as you point out the complexity.  But what makes Germans different is they are NEEDLESSLY complex.  Complex just for the sake of it seemingly.

I'll see the exact same part in a Japanese car...and it's elegantly designed.  German car?  Ridiculously complex for no good reason.

Maybe there are examples to the contrary, but does all that extra complexity not generally lead to superior driving experience?
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #17183 on: December 29, 2022, 05:47:10 pm »
Two exceptions; the DRLs on any 02-06 GM truck....They used a unique bulb that doesn't last, there's an alternative part number that's much better.

Seldom do I complete a road trip without seeing a few examples of this.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17184 on: December 29, 2022, 05:52:53 pm »

Maybe there are examples to the contrary, but does all that extra complexity not generally lead to superior driving experience?

Largely, no.  Certainly in some situations it could help.  Let's say the very complex Porsche Active Engine Mounts could potentially have a better handling chassis.  But your regular run of the mill parts?

I mean..the tailights are needlessly complex in the Audi.  And it contributes nothing....except for headaches.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17185 on: December 29, 2022, 06:03:19 pm »

Largely, no.  Certainly in some situations it could help.  Let's say the very complex Porsche Active Engine Mounts could potentially have a better handling chassis.  But your regular run of the mill parts?

I mean..the tailights are needlessly complex in the Audi.  And it contributes nothing....except for headaches.

IDK, the running  turning lights on the new ones look great, if it wasn't for that NA safety standard that mandates the whole strip should also light up at once, which ruins everything.

What I'm talking about is things like the suspension geometry, brakes, sound insulation and so forth that actually matter for a picky driver, you know, things that make FGCs, especially premium ones, comfortably rest on their laurels.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17186 on: December 29, 2022, 06:07:02 pm »
P.s. .... or a ZF transmission, arguably the the best slush boxes on the market.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17187 on: December 29, 2022, 06:08:07 pm »

IDK, the running  turning lights on the new ones look great, if it wasn't for that NA safety standard that mandates the whole strip should also light up at once, which ruins everything.

What I'm talking about is things like the suspension geometry, brakes, sound insulation
and so forth that actually matter for a picky driver, you know, things that make FGCs, especially premium ones, comfortably rest on their laurels.

Those things aren't exactly rocket science.  So making them hideously complex doesn't add anything IMO.  But as I said earlier, some complex things DO make for a better experience (like a PDK for example).

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17188 on: December 29, 2022, 06:09:33 pm »
P.s. .... or a ZF transmission, arguably the the best slush boxes on the market.

But that's why the ZF is transmission is held in such high regard.  It's a stout tranny.

I don't think the ZF would be as well regarded if it was made of glass.

And while I've never taken one apart, I've read that they are very intelligently engineered. 

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17189 on: December 29, 2022, 06:20:04 pm »

But that's why the ZF is transmission is held in such high regard.  It's a stout tranny.

And while I've never taken one apart, I've read that they are very intelligently engineered.

Neither did I, and chances are a ZF 8 speed unit will have double the nuts bolts valves and sensors, or so, than the Aisin (?) one out of a Camry. It's kind of a package deal I guess, like you want to fly to the moon, you gotta have space engineers, even though they will make a blunder or a few on occasion.

The lights are failing so that ppl change the cars more often  ;D
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 06:21:55 pm by EV Dan »

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #17190 on: December 29, 2022, 06:23:59 pm »

Neither did I, and chances are a ZF 8 speed unit will have double the nuts bolts valves and sensors, or so, than the Aisin (?) one out of a Camry. It's kind of a package deal I guess, like you want to fly to the moon, you gotta have space engineers, even though they will make a blunder or a few on occasion.

There's an Aisin tranny in my Cayenne.
Mr Pickypants

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17191 on: December 29, 2022, 06:27:09 pm »
^^Yep!!

Touareg too!

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17192 on: December 29, 2022, 06:33:55 pm »

There's an Aisin tranny in my Cayenne.

LOL, supply chains work in mysterious ways.

I had a Valeo windshield wiper assembly in a Genesis. It was the only part that had failed it.  :rofl2:

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17193 on: December 29, 2022, 06:39:10 pm »
^^The were the world's largest tranny producer.  Probably still are (but I don't know for sure)

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #17194 on: December 29, 2022, 10:40:18 pm »
Guess I should add that, I replaced the coolant reservoir on the Cayenne today, not too bad a job, considering the first instruction is remove headlight.

You need the headlight out to reach a bolt that holds a torque arm that holds the engine.  It has to come out to get the reservoir out.  In a feat of supreme German engineering, the bolt heads are 16mm, a size that doesn't exist in wrench  or socket sets, you have to use a 5/8" socket on a long extension.

Anyhow, Mahle reservoir, $162 plus tax.  Maybe an hour to change it at a leisurely pace.   Seems ok now.

Dealing with the BMW leaky coolant expansion tank now - known to fail with age.

How does the Porsche one fail? BMW's is made out of 2 pieces glued together.... when it ages, it leaks along the seam all around. Around $100 - Mahle from RA.

Speaking of over engineering on the German cars... two piece tank (probably needed due to interior molding complexity), low level sensor, quick connect hoses (2), level floater stick (need to figure out how to read it)...

Looking at the Mitsu --- one piece see-through white plastic bottle, min/max lines, one hose with a metal clamp, no level sensor - you look at the tank and see the level. Probably will last forever.

With BMW, you have to open the cap (black tank, no see-through) and the little floater will tell yo the level if you know how to read it....

Now, truth to be told, the sensor will warn you if low coolant without ever needing to lift up the hood... Just like the oil level sensor (no dipstick).... The complexity does serve a purpose in some cases, but at a cost...
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 10:50:29 pm by Dante »

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17195 on: December 29, 2022, 10:53:26 pm »

BMW's is made out of 2 pieces glued together....

:rofl: :rofl2: :rofl: :rofl2:

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17196 on: December 29, 2022, 11:01:54 pm »

BMW's is made out of 2 pieces glued together....

:rofl: :rofl2: :rofl: :rofl2:

Seriously,... No joke....It did last almost 200K km in mine, but I read about early failures. I guess it's a crapshoot... Easy to replace though.... two 10 mm bolts at the top and that's it - disconnect 2 hoses and an electrical connector and done. For someone who's done it before, 10-15 min probably.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17197 on: December 29, 2022, 11:11:15 pm »
^^Too cheap to pay for a blow mold.   ::)

But then probably spent load of money on some needlessly complex part (like the heated PCV that catches on fire).   :rofl: :rofl2: :rofl: :rofl2:

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17198 on: December 29, 2022, 11:26:03 pm »
^^Too cheap to pay for a blow mold.   ::)

Don't know but it may have something to do with that floater stick and how it's attached (doesn't fall if you put the tank upside down so I assume it's attached at the bottom somehow)- if one piece not sure how they would put it in afterwards...
Anyway, it looks complex for a fluid reservoir....

Now that I think of it, the power steering reservoir is two piece too, probably because it has a filter in it which they need to get in somehow.... This one is not known to leak though, but it's recommended to be replaced when you do a steering fluid flush because the filter cannot be cleaned. Not expensive and again easy to replace.... but still, something you don't do on other cars I guess....

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17199 on: December 29, 2022, 11:45:06 pm »
^^They typically would weld anything 2 piece plastic.  Or should (instead of glue).

Either a hot plate welder, a plastic welder or a sonic weld (USW).  Since production, probably hotplate or sonic.

Once in awhile I'll see 2 piece stuff on a multi-station mold.  1) First section is injection molded 2) a Piece is inserted (let's say that filter or tube) 3) Mold is cycled to 2nd station where it finishes the part complete.

There's a few ways of doing it...