Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3009911 times)

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #17100 on: December 19, 2022, 07:51:29 pm »
Some nice looking aggressive rims. The tires you must have locked in some time ago

Thanks. Got lucky on the tires, I guess. I ordered them late: last week of November. None locally, but they were able to bring in a set from BC. Took about a week, but I couldn’t get to the city to pick them up until now.

Rims were my second choice, but my wife wanted black, so that’s what we got. OE specs, right down to the offset, which is hard to find. I was okay with a +48 offset, but not disappointed to keep it stock.

https://www.canadawheels.ca/replika-wheels/r255-gloss-black-w741445.html

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #17101 on: December 19, 2022, 08:15:17 pm »
When does your car show?

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17102 on: December 19, 2022, 08:29:12 pm »
Haven’t checked again, so just going on the “hopefully January” they told me last time.

I’ll probably check in again after the holidays.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #17103 on: December 20, 2022, 07:50:22 am »
The battery was definitely the problem.  Mazda started with 'gusto' this morning, even in -21C.  Previously it was the definition of weak. 

$110 all in for the battery, installed.  I gave the guy who installed it another $20, because even $130 is cheap for a new battery. 

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #17104 on: December 20, 2022, 08:06:23 am »
The battery was definitely the problem.  Mazda started with 'gusto' this morning, even in -21C.  Previously it was the definition of weak. 

$110 all in for the battery, installed.  I gave the guy who installed it another $20, because even $130 is cheap for a new battery.
Excellent.  Love an easy fix and one that doesn’t break the bank.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #17105 on: December 20, 2022, 09:45:37 am »
Had to go fetch the Outback from the MIL's place, it steamed and spewed coolant when my wife got there the other day. 
Looks like one of the small lines that goes to the intake manifold/throttle body, probably not the easiest thing to get to, but we'll see.
Mr Pickypants

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17106 on: December 20, 2022, 10:57:37 am »
Had to go fetch the Outback from the MIL's place, it steamed and spewed coolant when my wife got there the other day. 
Looks like one of the small lines that goes to the intake manifold/throttle body, probably not the easiest thing to get to, but we'll see.

or it's a head gasket  ;D

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17107 on: December 20, 2022, 01:46:34 pm »
When does your car show?

Funny, just got a text from my salesman. Not really any details, but said they’ve got the VIN and car is still supposed to be here in January.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17108 on: December 20, 2022, 04:31:42 pm »
When does your car show?

Funny, just got a text from my salesman. Not really any details, but said they’ve got the VIN and car is still supposed to be here in January.

It's alive!

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17109 on: December 20, 2022, 08:22:00 pm »
Almost done! Got it mostly back together with only the usual amount of frustration and bloody knuckles. >:(

Cooling system was holding a vacuum before the fill, so that’s good. Intake is still off, so haven’t run it yet, but no leaks as she sits.

Intake is clean, transmission has fresh oil, and I bled the clutch with some fresh fluid. Will get some help tomorrow to put some fresh fluid through the brakes and she’ll be done.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17110 on: December 21, 2022, 05:16:38 pm »
Well, got everything done, but the brake bleed was an epic fail. Dunno what was going on, but there was some very abnormal whooshing air noises when bleeding the rears. Brakes are now mushy AF.

Oh, well. Wasted twenty bucks on brake fluid and will have to take it to the shop for a proper bleed. I believe they do it under pressure and cycle through the ABS pump as well.

I’m not totally surprised. Last time I bled them I ended up going back to the dealer as well. That time they were just a little soft though. This time it’s really terrible. Going to be cruising there with one hand always ready to grab the e-brake. :P

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #17111 on: December 21, 2022, 05:28:43 pm »
And I'm pretty sure the CV joint in the Highlander just :censor: the bed.  I've been getting a clicking noise when turning right for a while now and all of a sudden got way worse and I now hear a clunking noise when applying throttle.

Soooooooo.  Not a CV joint. Lug nuts were loose.  I'd brought it to a tire shop to fix a slow leak two weeks before it started.

Don't forget to check the torque after a bit. I feel like such an idiot.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #17112 on: December 21, 2022, 05:31:50 pm »
And I'm pretty sure the CV joint in the Highlander just :censor: the bed.  I've been getting a clicking noise when turning right for a while now and all of a sudden got way worse and I now hear a clunking noise when applying throttle.

Soooooooo.  Not a CV joint. Lug nuts were loose.  I'd brought it to a tire shop to fix a slow leak two weeks before it started.

Don't forget to check the torque after a bit. I feel like such an idiot.

You're an idiot if you do nothing when you think something's up.

You played it safe..and as a result you and family will be safe.

No stupidity here that I can see......
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17113 on: December 21, 2022, 05:38:39 pm »
That stuff is always obvious after the fact. I would not feel bad. Sure better than a wheel coming off.  :o

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17114 on: December 21, 2022, 05:42:06 pm »
That stuff is always obvious after the fact. I would not feel bad. Sure better than a wheel coming off.  :o

Also...for those that don't understand...this is why we always harp on poor service centre attention to detail.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17115 on: December 21, 2022, 05:50:31 pm »

Also...for those that don't understand...this is why we always harp on poor service centre attention to detail.

Well, may or may not have been the service center’s fault. I’ve had lug nuts come loose when I know 100% for sure I’d tightened them properly. It was a problem on my Civic, so ever since I’ve been religious on the retorques. Never gave it much thought before I had it happen to me.

And I think I’ll just give the bleed another try. Just kind of half remember from the first time I did it: you think the reservoir is full enough, but really it’s not, so it sucks air. Kind of a PITA, but think I’ll try again and just keep the reservoir fully topped up. Like maybe only crack the valve once or twice between top ups. Was doing 5 or 6 before.  :-\

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17116 on: December 21, 2022, 06:15:24 pm »

Well, may or may not have been the service center’s fault. I’ve had lug nuts come loose when I know 100% for sure I’d tightened them properly. It was a problem on my Civic, so ever since I’ve been religious on the retorques. Never gave it much thought before I had it happen to me.

And I think I’ll just give the bleed another try. Just kind of half remember from the first time I did it: you think the reservoir is full enough, but really it’s not, so it sucks air. Kind of a PITA, but think I’ll try again and just keep the reservoir fully topped up. Like maybe only crack the valve once or twice between top ups. Was doing 5 or 6 before.  :-\

You having an assistant pump the brakes?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17117 on: December 21, 2022, 06:36:13 pm »

Well, may or may not have been the service center’s fault.

Of course it's their fault.

He said he brought the car in two weeks previous to have a leaky tire fixed.

Who else is taking and putting the wheel off??

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #17118 on: December 21, 2022, 06:38:13 pm »

I got an air compressor-powered vacuum brake fluid "sucker" from Princessauto. You can leave it do its business, meanwhile controlling the brake fluid level under hood.
I've also seen youtubers using 4 empty 500 ml bottles at 4 corners letting the gravity do the work, although it takes a long time.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #17119 on: December 21, 2022, 06:45:58 pm »

Yep. Rule number one. After taking a car out of a service garage, park it and open the hood. Assume that everything that could've been done wrong has been done wrong. Check every fluid level, bolt and nut and proceed to drive off with caution, paying attention to noises of things breaking and falling off.  :P