Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3009773 times)

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #17080 on: December 19, 2022, 11:28:35 am »
Filled up the washer fluid in the BMW yesterday and noticed the coolant expansion tank started leaking. Very minor for now and I assume only when it's hot as it seems to be leaking along a seam at the top, but still something I need to address asap. The level is still OK and  I can keep topping up if necessary, but I kick myself in the butt for not replacing it 2 months ago when I revamped the cooling system. At the time I thought that since it was fine (I knew they tend to leak when aging), I will leave it alone especially since it's cheap & easy DIY so I can do it when needed. Sure enough, it crapped out now when it's cold and don't feel like working on the car...

Ordered a new tank from RA and it should be here on Wednesday. I hope the indy mechanic didn't shut down for holidays.... if not, will have to bite the bullet and do it myself out in the cold or wait until after the holidays when I have to do an oil change anyway.

This happened just about when I was thinking it's getting boring.... bad timing though with holidays coming up...

« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 11:30:06 am by Dante »

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #17081 on: December 19, 2022, 11:54:25 am »
Filled up the washer fluid in the BMW yesterday and noticed the coolant expansion tank started leaking. Very minor for now and I assume only when it's hot as it seems to be leaking along a seam at the top, but still something I need to address asap. The level is still OK and  I can keep topping up if necessary, but I kick myself in the butt for not replacing it 2 months ago when I revamped the cooling system. At the time I thought that since it was fine (I knew they tend to leak when aging), I will leave it alone especially since it's cheap & easy DIY so I can do it when needed. Sure enough, it crapped out now when it's cold and don't feel like working on the car...

Ordered a new tank from RA and it should be here on Wednesday. I hope the indy mechanic didn't shut down for holidays.... if not, will have to bite the bullet and do it myself out in the cold or wait until after the holidays when I have to do an oil change anyway.

This happened just about when I was thinking it's getting boring.... bad timing though with holidays coming up...
Do you have a friend or colleague with a heated garage that you could borrow some day to make the switch?  Case of beer for the space is cheaper than having a garage do it.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17082 on: December 19, 2022, 12:29:23 pm »

Do you have a friend or colleague with a heated garage that you could borrow some day to make the switch?  Case of beer for the space is cheaper than having a garage do it.

I could do it in my garage too I guess but don't want to deal with cleaning/hosing the floor after that as there will be some inevitable coolant spillage. For $50-$60 I would rather have it done at the shop given the circumstances. If it would've been warm, I would've done it on the driveway and wash it off immediately.

Mostly pissed with myself that I didn't do it when I did the water pump, thermostat, radiator, cooling hoses.... it would've been no more than 10-15 min in labor and no additional aggravation at that time and this is something that is well documented and I was fully aware it could happen.... I rolled the dice on it and lost.... I guess Murphy's laws apply  ;D

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #17083 on: December 19, 2022, 01:41:06 pm »

Ah, well, a battery is essentially a basic maintenance item, and it's only going to cost me about $125 for a new one, so not too bad when all said and done.

Where are you finding batteries that cheap?   Even my tiny Miata battery was more than that
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 01:54:36 pm by blur911 »
Mr Pickypants

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #17084 on: December 19, 2022, 01:45:48 pm »
lol, that's not my quote...GBA said that. Miata battery, however, is more expensive than most as it's an oddball size, only fits Miata, so it's not manufactured at the typical automotive battery plants. When I used to do the battery business our supplier (Exide back then) was buying the Miata battery from a PowerSport battery plant in Spain and importing it.

$125 is cheap for a battery these days though....Most I see are $150+.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #17085 on: December 19, 2022, 01:57:03 pm »
lol, that's not my quote...GBA said that. Miata battery, however, is more expensive than most as it's an oddball size, only fits Miata, so it's not manufactured at the typical automotive battery plants. When I used to do the battery business our supplier (Exide back then) was buying the Miata battery from a PowerSport battery plant in Spain and importing it.

$125 is cheap for a battery these days though....Most I see are $150+.

Fixed the quote thing. 
Yeah, Miata is a weird size,  but I think it was about $200 when I replaced mine earlier this year.  IIRC, most Miata batteries are made by EastPenn

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17086 on: December 19, 2022, 02:00:23 pm »
I just bought a 16.5" tire.

Firestone Transforce, made in Canada

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #17087 on: December 19, 2022, 02:01:40 pm »

Ah, well, a battery is essentially a basic maintenance item, and it's only going to cost me about $125 for a new one, so not too bad when all said and done.

Where are you finding batteries that cheap?   Even my tiny Miata battery was more than that

Actually, just got the text back from my guy - $110, and they'll throw it in for me.

I'm getting it from the dealer that sold me the car - they sell this stuff to me at wholesale price without any markup.  It's just a basic lead acid battery, nothing fancy.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 02:04:15 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #17088 on: December 19, 2022, 02:31:38 pm »
Decent outfit. One of the work Equinoxes in to the dealer to get a battery changed and I think the bill was $400. Seems crazy as it was right out in the open and seemed like a regular battery

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #17089 on: December 19, 2022, 04:05:35 pm »
Fack me. Drove all the way to the city to pick up the two gaskets I ordered online. $25 for both gaskets at Germanparts.ca and they said they were in stock, but now I get here and they say not until tomorrow.  >:(

Dealer has them, but for $120.

:censor: it. Gaskets look fine so I’m going to reuse them.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17090 on: December 19, 2022, 04:47:06 pm »
Fack me. Drove all the way to the city to pick up the two gaskets I ordered online. $25 for both gaskets at Germanparts.ca and they said they were in stock, but now I get here and they say not until tomorrow.  >:(

Did Germanparts.ca resume in-store pickup? I thought they only deliver to your home or a Penguin location of your choice since COVID.

I mentioned in the parts thread, but there is another good place for German cars - EuroDNA.ca, which is at Weston & Hwy7 and they have in-store pickup (still have to order online but can pickup as soon as an hour).

« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 05:01:56 pm by Dante »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #17091 on: December 19, 2022, 04:49:29 pm »
^^Those guys sucks.

Never return my e-mails.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17092 on: December 19, 2022, 04:55:51 pm »

Did German parts.ca resume in-store pickup? I thought they only deliver to your home or a Penguin location of your choice.

Yeah, first time I’ve tried the store pickup. In Calgary, pickup is at their (tiny) warehouse in an industrial park.

I’ve ordered from them before, but just had it shipped to my house. No complaints before.

I’d give them another chance. I ordered the parts yesterday (Sunday) so it was kind of last minute. Website said parts were in stock for “Same day - next business day” pickup. I called this morning and the guy said I was good to go - parts were in stock in Calgary and I could pick them up today.

But when I got there, guy said he only had one gasket and the other was coming from Edmonton tomorrow.

Oh well. Sent an email to cancel the order and got refunded within 10 minutes.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #17093 on: December 19, 2022, 04:56:26 pm »

I could do it in my garage too I guess but don't want to deal with cleaning/hosing the floor after that as there will be some inevitable coolant spillage. For $50-$60 I would rather have it done at the shop given the circumstances. If it would've been warm, I would've done it on the driveway and wash it off immediately.

Mostly pissed with myself that I didn't do it when I did the water pump, thermostat, radiator, cooling hoses.... it would've been no more than 10-15 min in labor and no additional aggravation at that time and this is something that is well documented and I was fully aware it could happen.... I rolled the dice on it and lost.... I guess Murphy's laws apply  ;D

I’d far rather risk a little spillage versus doing it outside, but that’s just me. I don’t sweat spills on the garage floor. Wipe them up and forget about it. Often I’ll just use a sheet of cardboard to reduce the floor mess.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 05:01:45 pm by bridgecity »
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17094 on: December 19, 2022, 05:02:42 pm »

Actually, just got the text back from my guy - $110, and they'll throw it in for me.

I'm getting it from the dealer that sold me the car - they sell this stuff to me at wholesale price without any markup.  It's just a basic lead acid battery, nothing fancy.

Killer deal regardless of battery type.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17095 on: December 19, 2022, 05:05:04 pm »

Did German parts.ca resume in-store pickup? I thought they only deliver to your home or a Penguin location of your choice.

Yeah, first time I’ve tried the store pickup. In Calgary, pickup is at their (tiny) warehouse in an industrial park.

I’ve ordered from them before, but just had it shipped to my house. No complaints before.

I’d give them another chance. I ordered the parts yesterday (Sunday) so it was kind of last minute. Website said parts were in stock for “Same day - next business day” pickup. I called this morning and the guy said I was good to go - parts were in stock in Calgary and I could pick them up today.

But when I got there, guy said he only had one gasket and the other was coming from Edmonton tomorrow.

Oh well. Sent an email to cancel the order and got refunded within 10 minutes.

Sorry, forgot you are not in GTA.... I thought they resumed in-store pickup in Toronto.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17096 on: December 19, 2022, 05:07:21 pm »

I’d far rather risk a little spillage versus doing it outside, but that’s just me. I don’t sweat spills on the garage floor. Wipe them up and forget about it. Often I’ll just use a sheet of cardboard to reduce the floor mess.

I hear you, but at this time of the year I don't feel in mood for it. I'd rather pay few bucks and save me the trouble if I can.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17097 on: December 19, 2022, 05:21:18 pm »

I hear you, but at this time of the year I don't feel in mood for it. I'd rather pay few bucks and save me the trouble if I can.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17098 on: December 19, 2022, 05:23:36 pm »
Trip to the city wasn’t a total waste. Just picked up the winter setup for the Crosstrek!

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #17099 on: December 19, 2022, 07:24:45 pm »
Some nice looking aggressive rims. The tires you must have locked in some time ago