Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3009663 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #17040 on: December 13, 2022, 04:55:41 pm »
Fack me. Thought I’d get a quote for a new water pump: $1,300 at a decent VW indie in the city.

Dammit, I might have to replace the stupid thing myself.  :P

Can you livestream it??   :rofl: :rofl2:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #17041 on: December 13, 2022, 05:06:16 pm »
Fack me. Thought I’d get a quote for a new water pump: $1,300 at a decent VW indie in the city.

There’s almost a livestream buried earlier in this thread somewhere. Some pics, anyway.  :P

Did it years ago and it was a nightmare. You’d think it would be easier the second time, but I’m sure I’ve forgotten all the tricks by now.

I was kind of surprised at the high quote, though. I’ve read online that techs who do this for a living can replace the pump without having to remove the intake manifold. You’re basically working blind, doing the job by feel, but that’s no biggie once you’ve done it a dozen times.

For $1,300, I’m assuming this guy is going to pull half the engine apart, same as I’d do.  :P

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17042 on: December 13, 2022, 05:16:34 pm »

There’s almost a livestream buried earlier in this thread somewhere. Some pics, anyway.  :P

Did it years ago and it was a nightmare. You’d think it would be easier the second time, but I’m sure I’ve forgotten all the tricks by now.

I was kind of surprised at the high quote, though. I’ve read online that techs who do this for a living can replace the pump without having to remove the intake manifold. You’re basically working blind, doing the job by feel, but that’s no biggie once you’ve done it a dozen times.

For $1,300, I’m assuming this guy is going to pull half the engine apart, same as I’d do.  :P

Shop around??

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #17043 on: December 13, 2022, 05:23:57 pm »
Once batteries are improved you can easily see why electric motor powered vehicles will reign supreme regardless of the climate BS.  Water pumps, tensioners, belts, chains, exhaust manifolds, fluids, et al.  All major BS to deal with in modern cars.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #17044 on: December 13, 2022, 05:51:55 pm »
Once batteries are improved you can easily see why electric motor powered vehicles will reign supreme regardless of the climate BS.  Water pumps, tensioners, belts, chains, exhaust manifolds, fluids, et al.  All major BS to deal with in modern cars.

All this BS will probably be replaced by another BS with electronics and software... Software bugs would concern me more than a leaky water pump.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #17045 on: December 13, 2022, 06:00:22 pm »

All this BS will probably be replaced by another BS with electronics and software... Software bugs would concern me more than a leaky water pump.

Yep, I'd rather swap out a water pump, something I can physically touch and see, than chase down some software bug.

EVs do have a lot fewer moving components though, so, long-term, the auto repair industry will need to shift and/or right-size dramatically...Tires, brakes, suspension, still wear and will be ripe for maintenance and repair, but as AS points out, lots of core part categories that'll be killed off as EV proliferation increases.

That said, their will be new parts to replace....modules, computers, electric motors, harnesses, etc. Sorta like an extreme version of the transition from Carbs to EFI....Not selling many Qjet rebuild kits these days, but plenty injectors, rails, regulators, etc. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17046 on: December 13, 2022, 06:09:14 pm »

Yep, I'd rather swap out a water pump, something I can physically touch and see, than chase down some software bug.

EVs do have a lot fewer moving components though, so, long-term, the auto repair industry will need to shift and/or right-size dramatically...Tires, brakes, suspension, still wear and will be ripe for maintenance and repair, but as AS points out, lots of core part categories that'll be killed off as EV proliferation increases.

That said, their will be new parts to replace....modules, computers, electric motors, harnesses, etc. Sorta like an extreme version of the transition from Carbs to EFI....Not selling many Qjet rebuild kits these days, but plenty injectors, rails, regulators, etc.

Same here.

I can easily fix most ICE issues in my garage.

An EV though??  Not so much IMO.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #17047 on: December 13, 2022, 06:15:05 pm »

We already have most of those parts on cars already, it's just the size of the components that's going to change...but we'll get rid of the engine and fuel system.

I have a Quadrajet  ;D
Mr Pickypants

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #17048 on: December 13, 2022, 06:23:08 pm »

No doubt. However, did you see how much stuff there is under the hood of an EV? Multiple coolant circuits, a ton of sensors, heat pump and AC related things. EVs may be simpler mechanically but there will be things to break down, speaking of which, the brakes  :P
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #17049 on: December 13, 2022, 09:25:48 pm »
However, did you see how much stuff there is under the hood of an EV? Multiple coolant circuits, a ton of sensors, heat pump and AC related things

That's why I mentioned that EVs are going to be hard to beat only when the industry figures out the battery issue.  Currently, the battery systems are still in the stone age.

At 30 to 37 degrees F, the Ford Lightning's distance is cut in half and I have no idea what internal systems Ford have in place to support the battery but probably heating and cooling systems.   

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17050 on: December 13, 2022, 09:40:47 pm »

Same here.

I've had my share of mechanical victories, but I could not remove the VVT phazers out of an ecobust motor or remove and dissemble a Honda or Ford 10 speed auto tranny.  Let's not think that a water pump removal is the average repair job moving forward.  New ICE vehicles are in my mind unrepairable by owners when major shite happens.  The specific tools required alone kills the entire proposition.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #17051 on: December 13, 2022, 10:14:47 pm »

Same here.

I've had my share of mechanical victories, but I could not remove the VVT phazers out of an ecobust motor or remove and dissemble a Honda or Ford 10 speed auto tranny.  Let's not think that a water pump removal is the average repair job moving forward.  New ICE vehicles are in my mind unrepairable by owners when major shite happens.  The specific tools required alone kills the entire proposition.

Tesla's have been around for a while now. Are there any indy shops that would service them? Genuine question....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17052 on: December 13, 2022, 10:27:23 pm »

Same here.

Tesla's have been around for a while now. Are there any indy shops that would service them? Genuine question....

Tesla doesn't allow it...and fights their hardest to prevent it by making it difficult to get the supplies.  And they don't allow 3rd party purchasing of their diagnostic equipment.

Apparently, just buying parts from Tesla as a private individual is like pulling teeth.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17053 on: December 13, 2022, 11:45:48 pm »
Okay, screw it, I just ordered a new (upgraded, metal) water pump and some extra bits and pieces from Rockauto. $350 (incl. shipping) and it should be here Friday. It's supposed to be super cold on the weekend, so may as well just lock myself in the garage (it's heated) and get it done.

I was curious, so looked back through this thread and found an old post I made when I finished the job last time, back in 2018...

... Was less hassle putting it back together than I expected, partly because I had the right tools, but mostly because I now knew how everything fits together. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again, and I'm sure I could bang through it in a day. ...

:P :P :P

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17054 on: December 13, 2022, 11:54:01 pm »
Okay, screw it, I just ordered a new (upgraded, metal) water pump

OMFG, not metal!!

(I remember the wars on the Porsche forums about plastic vs. metal impellers)

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17055 on: December 14, 2022, 12:15:49 am »
^^ dunno about the impeller, but the housing is metal on this one. OE is fully plastic.

The original one was absolutely fine for 8 years, I only replaced it because it seemed smart to do it while I had everything apart anyway. Figured the original plastic one had been good, so I’d just get another.  ::)

But one cause of leaks is apparently oil from a leaky timing cover dripping onto the plastic water pump housing and deforming it. Once I get it opened up to have a look, I figure if there is a minor oil leak/seepage, the metal housing of the new pump should deal with a bit of oil much better.

Of course, I’m hoping for no oil leak at all. That would open up a whole other can of worms.  ::)

« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 12:17:25 am by HeliDriver »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17056 on: December 14, 2022, 12:23:50 am »
^^ dunno about the impeller, but the housing is metal on this one. OE is fully plastic.

The original one was absolutely fine for 8 years, I only replaced it because it seemed smart to do it while I had everything apart anyway. Figured the original plastic one had been good, so I’d just get another.  ::)

But one cause of leaks is apparently oil from a leaky timing cover dripping onto the plastic water pump housing and deforming it. Once I get it opened up to have a look, I figure if there is a minor oil leak/seepage, the metal housing of the new pump should deal with a bit of oil much better.

Of course, I’m hoping for no oil leak at all. That would open up a whole other can of worms.  ::)

I'm still all about you livestreaming this.  :)

Especially over the holidays!!   :rofl: :rofl2:

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17057 on: December 14, 2022, 12:49:14 am »
^^ I'm sure there will be way too much swearing for a holiday livestream.  :P

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442