Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3009477 times)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #16960 on: November 22, 2022, 07:10:05 pm »
Yesterday I was in the 'training shop' at work - did a brake job on a colleagues car (2016-ish Accord Coupe) with an audience of new recruits to the automotive office team, helps if the support folks can at least visualize what a brake rotor is.

While I was there and had access to a warm shop, lift, etc I did an oil change on the DTS....Only 3000km on it in the last year (thanks WFH), oil monitor was still showing 84% life, but I've been keeping it on an annual change schedule anyway. Been running Penzoil Ultra Synthetic for the last few changes, which goes on sale for about $45 a jug (DTS takes 2 jugs)....Another $15 for a filter and you're over $100 for an oil change, and doing the work yourself.

Man, for $20-$30 in labor, this is one job I will probably never do on my driveway.... Not even for fun. Only the effort to dispose of the old oil makes it unworthy to me.

Well, in this case, I was on a lift.....and I have a lift in my garage at home. Yet, at home, I tend it just do it in the driveway anyway....Much quicker for me to jack it up in the driveway and slide under than it is to jockey all the cars around to get the one I need on the lift.

It's not bad once you're used to it, I can do a driveway oil change in maybe 20 minutes, start to finish. Plus, I know that it's done to my standards, and I can see the oil coming out as sort of a 'health check' on the motor. Most of my cars have drain plugs with the magnet tip, so I also like to inspect that for anything suspect.

Oh, no doubt about the fact that you and some others are equipped and skilled to do it and for good reasons. Just saying that for me in particular, at this cost, it's not worth the aggravation.
Honestly this is one job that I think it's under-charged by some shops.
Today I paid $20.50+tax labor, at the dealership, for an oil change.
At this price, why bother even putting on the work clothes....
Few weeks ago, I replaced ALL fluids (7 of them) plus the steering fluid reservoir in my buddy's BMW for the grand total of $100 in labor....

Using bulk supertech oil out of a drum. VW?.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #16961 on: November 22, 2022, 07:16:35 pm »
Yesterday I was in the 'training shop' at work - did a brake job on a colleagues car (2016-ish Accord Coupe) with an audience of new recruits to the automotive office team, helps if the support folks can at least visualize what a brake rotor is.

While I was there and had access to a warm shop, lift, etc I did an oil change on the DTS....Only 3000km on it in the last year (thanks WFH), oil monitor was still showing 84% life, but I've been keeping it on an annual change schedule anyway. Been running Penzoil Ultra Synthetic for the last few changes, which goes on sale for about $45 a jug (DTS takes 2 jugs)....Another $15 for a filter and you're over $100 for an oil change, and doing the work yourself.

Man, for $20-$30 in labor, this is one job I will probably never do on my driveway.... Not even for fun. Only the effort to dispose of the old oil makes it unworthy to me.

Well, in this case, I was on a lift.....and I have a lift in my garage at home. Yet, at home, I tend it just do it in the driveway anyway....Much quicker for me to jack it up in the driveway and slide under than it is to jockey all the cars around to get the one I need on the lift.

It's not bad once you're used to it, I can do a driveway oil change in maybe 20 minutes, start to finish. Plus, I know that it's done to my standards, and I can see the oil coming out as sort of a 'health check' on the motor. Most of my cars have drain plugs with the magnet tip, so I also like to inspect that for anything suspect.

Oh, no doubt about the fact that you and some others are equipped and skilled to do it and for good reasons. Just saying that for me in particular, at this cost, it's not worth the aggravation.
Few weeks ago, I replaced ALL fluids (7 of them) plus the steering fluid reservoir in my buddy's BMW for the grand total of $100 in labor....

LABOR only.
I brought in all (BMW OEM) fluids in required quantities and ready to use where applicable (e.g. pre-mixed coolant).

Oil change with Liquid Moly (bulk) and Mann filter is $100 (cash).

Last time the VW dealer charged around $35+tax in labor with my oil for an oil change.
Indy VW shop charged about $40 but he spent some extra time hooking up the computer and running a scan while doing an engine flush (15 min).
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 07:28:04 pm by Dante »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #16962 on: November 22, 2022, 07:27:44 pm »

You live in El Salvador, yes?  :)

LOL...  :rofl:   Nope.... The infamous GTA ...

Not understanding your comment about $100 labour?  Changing all fluids in a vehicle would take me a couple of days.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #16963 on: November 22, 2022, 07:28:54 pm »
The Michelin X-Ice North4 tires for the RX arrived from Blackcircles.ca arrived yesterday. Ordered late on the 10th just before Remembrance day, came all the way from Quebec to Alberta. Free shipping too, can't complain

Sorry I missed this.  What's the approximate difference in price between those tires factory studded or none studded providing you price each out separately?

The closest non studded equivalent would be the X-Ice Snow I think. They list for about $20.00 more a tire right now, but have slightly higher discounts, so while the studded ones list cheaper it probably works out the same

These ones will be 267 delivered before tax for 235/55 R20

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #16964 on: November 22, 2022, 07:35:44 pm »

LABOR only.
I brought in all (BMW OEM) fluids in required quantities and ready to use where applicable (e.g. pre-mixed coolant).

Oil change with Liquid Moly (bulk) and Mann filter is $100 (cash).

Last time the VW dealer charged around $35+tax in labor with my oil for an oil change.
Indy VW shop charged about $40 but he spent some extra time hooking up the computer and running a scan while doing an engine flush (15 min).

Took all your fancy designer fluids for home use and used the bulk drum. Probably while stoned. ;D

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #16965 on: November 22, 2022, 07:53:12 pm »

You live in El Salvador, yes?  :)

LOL...  :rofl:   Nope.... The infamous GTA ...

Not understanding your comment about $100 labour?  Changing all fluids in a vehicle would take me a couple of days.

What I said - no joking. To replace all fluids (coolant, steering, brakes, manual transmission, transfer case, front&rear diff) in a 2011 BMW 328i xDrive (fluids and hardware not included) I paid $100 cash for LABOR.
As hard as it seems to believe, it's as simple and true as that. Honestly I was surprised too....
Just for context, there was additional work done at the same time, but all was similarly priced.
- Spark plugs & ignition coils, VANOS solenoids cleaning, air filter ($100)
- Oil change with his oil and filter, run engine flush ($110)
- Belt, tensioner, idler pulley ($90)
All in, $400 cash in labor.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 08:13:19 pm by Dante »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #16966 on: November 22, 2022, 08:21:30 pm »
The Michelin X-Ice North4 tires for the RX arrived from Blackcircles.ca arrived yesterday. Ordered late on the 10th just before Remembrance day, came all the way from Quebec to Alberta. Free shipping too, can't complain

Sorry I missed this.  What's the approximate difference in price between those tires factory studded or none studded providing you price each out separately?

The closest non studded equivalent would be the X-Ice Snow I think. They list for about $20.00 more a tire right now, but have slightly higher discounts, so while the studded ones list cheaper it probably works out the same

These ones will be 267 delivered before tax for 235/55 R20

That's amazing.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #16967 on: November 28, 2022, 09:14:08 am »
Not today but yesterday we finally had some weather where I could wash my Civic's rims before putting them away for the winter, washed the car and touched up a little chip in the hood.  Will likely be the last time I wash the vehicles before spring.  I might do one or two automated car washes but I don't feel like I have to as it's undercoated and has a 10 year warranty.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #16968 on: November 29, 2022, 08:38:50 am »
Got the Odyssey sprayed at Ziebart and the Crosstrek finally received its factory molded mudguards.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #16969 on: November 29, 2022, 08:59:53 am »
Crosstrek finally received its factory molded mudguards.

Pics?

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #16970 on: November 29, 2022, 09:05:23 am »
Crosstrek finally received its factory molded mudguards.

Pics?

None yet, daughter has the car for the rest of the week as I'm typing away in my basement office. Will get some over the weekend!

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #16971 on: December 02, 2022, 02:43:46 pm »
Completed the transition to winter mode with the roof box.  This one replaces the Thule that exploded on me.  It's a longer model which is nice since the old one didn't fit our longest skis.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #16972 on: December 02, 2022, 11:58:54 pm »
^^ Nice!

I’ve already bought a Thule Pulse Alpine for the Crosstrek. Needed something to fit my 207 cm x-country skis.

It will probably look a little awkward on the Crosstrek, but I think it will work.  :-\

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #16973 on: December 05, 2022, 12:43:22 pm »
Blizzak DM-V2's switched to Michelin X-Ice North 4 studded on Friday

So far the North 4's are performing well, seem to be giving noticeable extra grip on ice. Believe they are quieter than the Hakka's were initially, but hard to really tell as snow and ice everywhere still

The Blizzak's wore like iron, still had about 10/32nd after 40,000 km or so. Had to explain to the service manager that even though there was lots of tread six winters was too much

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #16974 on: December 05, 2022, 01:17:44 pm »
My DM-V2's still have lots of tread after 4 Winters. They do seem to wear well.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16975 on: December 08, 2022, 02:40:55 pm »
I had to replace the battery in my wife's 2017 GMC Sierra. Pretty disappointing life at 5-6 years but the battery guy claimed that was normal.

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Ram 1500 Classic, 2014 Highlander Hybrid
« Reply #16976 on: December 08, 2022, 02:46:33 pm »
I had to replace the battery in my wife's 2017 GMC Sierra. Pretty disappointing life at 5-6 years but the battery guy claimed that was normal.

That's what i figured too.  every 5 years ish new battery just long enough to be out of warranty

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #16977 on: December 08, 2022, 02:57:20 pm »

That's what i figured too.  every 5 years ish new battery just long enough to be out of warranty

Lead acid batteries like to be kept charged. Lots of cars didn't have that luxury during the first covid year so now many are up for replacement sooner than usual. Also I think the trunk located batteries last longer.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16978 on: December 08, 2022, 02:59:31 pm »

Lead acid batteries like to be kept charged. Lots of cars didn't have that luxury during the first covid year so now many are up for replacement sooner than usual. Also I think the trunk located batteries last longer.

We were pretty active during covid with none of us laid off so I dunno. Its a small cost overall.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #16979 on: December 08, 2022, 03:01:57 pm »
Who knows how long that 2017 sat on the dealer’s lot when new. Move it around a few times, let customers sit in it with the ignition on, playing with the radio, lots of starts, but no real driving…

I hear it’s pretty common to have to jump start vehicles on dealer lots. That’s a battery that’s got a head start on a short life right there.