Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3009203 times)

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #16780 on: October 20, 2022, 07:38:00 am »
Prepped the TR6 for winter storage last week. Glued a section of weatherstripping that had come loose, reinstalled the interior hazard switch and tinkered a bit with the reverse lights (they still don't work). I attempted to remove the old under hood hazard switch's bracket (old = square, new = round) but the screw got stuck at a point and the head stripped. After some cursing that involved pliers, more cursing was deferred to 2023 - I just clamped the thing to wires so it'll stay put in transit. Interior switch caused skinned fingers and more cursing until I saw the very subtle check in the switch body and metal dashboard - once I saw that, the thing was installed in 2 minutes.

Started on the first (long) crank and ran fine to MIL's. Still have to go back to get the battery and put the cover on it. Next year, I need to get the reverse lights to work (one did at a point, so minor issues in the back to fix) and get that car safetied so I can roar through town with the hardtop off!

Man, you need to get that thing on the road, what's it been, 2 years? Get on it!  ;D

I feel like it'd have been running beautifully if he spent 20% of the time he spent extensively researching Crosstreks on the Triumph ;D

Come over both of you next spring, I have plenty of beer  ;D
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #16781 on: October 20, 2022, 07:46:44 pm »
Officially listed the 360 for sale.

Going to the US tomorrow to finalize everything on the new one.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #16782 on: October 20, 2022, 07:49:11 pm »

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #16783 on: October 20, 2022, 08:00:37 pm »

Good luck! Can’t wait to see the new ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #16784 on: October 21, 2022, 07:40:56 am »

Good luck! Can’t wait to see the new ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm... In the US... Zimmer Golden Spirit maybe?  ;D :stick:

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #16785 on: October 21, 2022, 10:45:37 am »
OMG that's...awful!!  :o :hurl: Just because you can...doesn't mean you should.  That might even be worse than those stupid 6x6 conversions...all of them.  More money than brains kinda cars.  Or taste. 

Would be hilarious though if he bought one...  ;D

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16786 on: October 21, 2022, 10:54:14 am »
OMG that's...awful!!  :o :hurl: Just because you can...doesn't mean you should.  That might even be worse than those stupid 6x6 conversions...all of them.  More money than brains kinda cars.  Or taste. 

Would be hilarious though if he bought one...  ;D

That car was listed on BaT, and it got a lot of attention because of that lead shot!

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16787 on: October 21, 2022, 11:15:17 am »
What the heck...good a place as any I guess. 

(youngest) Son did a 5400 km road trip with 4 international students from Uni during reading week.  They wanted to see Canada (Rockies) and he has a car!  So 3 guys and 2 girls pack all their shi# into the Sonic and head west!  Stayed in hostels or a yurt one night in SK - with no heat and the temps dropped down to near freezing - and stopped at my SIL's place in Calgary for Thanksgiving supper!  She's a great host. 

My niece even joined them one day in the mountains for a 40+ km (!!!!!) hike.  Entrance was closed (despite being told it was open) so they had to walk 10 km in to the trail they wanted to hike.

Saw black bears and mountain goats...the two big German guys saw a grizzly on their one overnight camping in the mountain hikes...if it was 100' away I'd bet it was closer. 

Got bonked by the antlers of a massive elk?  On their last day, they saw one leaving Jasper...it was beside the highway so they turned around to get a look at it...it saw the Sonic and went...Snort!! Walked up to the car and butted it with it's massive antlers.  No damage...my son backed up...it was coming for another.  Never mind the other cars that stopped...I HATE your Sonic!  I think it just knew there were two Germans, a Brazilian and a French girl in the car...you want to see Elk, I show you Elk!  And from there they drove straight back to Wpg - stopping only for gas.  Of which he only spent $443 for the whole trip!  Not bad me thinks.  (he bought all the gas - they paid for food and other stuff)

They had a great time.  Can't wait to hear all about it.

But...the ABS and Wiggle Control lights both went on - so now...guess I gotta figure that out. ABS sensor - maybe wheel speed sensor...who knows.  I did an oil change and put the winter tires on (didn't need them - it was 17 in Jasper!) before they left, but that shouldn't have done anything.  Car now has 141,000 km on it...time (close) to replace the timing belt...and who knows what else.  Been a great little car for 10 yrs!  Might be OK to spend some money on it.  Cheaper than a new car.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #16788 on: October 21, 2022, 11:22:03 am »
Sounds like an awesome trip! 5 people + gear in a Sonic is TIGHT though, yeesh. I'd guess speed sensor as well on the ABS/Trac lights, I believe, in the front, they're built into the hub assembly and are a common failure point.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #16789 on: October 21, 2022, 11:27:28 am »
That sounds like a great time, 5 people in a Sonic, yeeech, to be young again.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #16790 on: October 21, 2022, 11:30:44 am »
Germans in the park harassing and getting into altercations with the wildlife. Sounds about right.  ;D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16791 on: October 21, 2022, 11:35:12 am »
Germans in the park harassing and getting into altercations with the wildlife. Sounds about right.  ;D

I remember one year were they were being targeted exclusively by bears, lost more Germans that year in the rockies than at Stalingrad because they like to sleep with their bratwurst in their tent.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #16792 on: October 21, 2022, 12:28:04 pm »
 :rofl2:

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16793 on: October 21, 2022, 12:53:25 pm »

I remember one year were they were being targeted exclusively by bears, lost more Germans that year in the rockies than at Stalingrad because they like to sleep with their bratwurst in their tent.

My bratwurst and I prefer hotels.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16794 on: October 21, 2022, 12:54:38 pm »

My bratwurst and I prefer hotels.

Good call!!

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #16795 on: October 21, 2022, 12:58:02 pm »
What the heck...good a place as any I guess. 

(youngest) Son did a 5400 km road trip with 4 international students from Uni during reading week.  They wanted to see Canada (Rockies) and he has a car!  So 3 guys and 2 girls pack all their shi# into the Sonic and head west!  Stayed in hostels or a yurt one night in SK - with no heat and the temps dropped down to near freezing - and stopped at my SIL's place in Calgary for Thanksgiving supper!  She's a great host. 

My niece even joined them one day in the mountains for a 40+ km (!!!!!) hike.  Entrance was closed (despite being told it was open) so they had to walk 10 km in to the trail they wanted to hike.

Saw black bears and mountain goats...the two big German guys saw a grizzly on their one overnight camping in the mountain hikes...if it was 100' away I'd bet it was closer. 

Got bonked by the antlers of a massive elk?  On their last day, they saw one leaving Jasper...it was beside the highway so they turned around to get a look at it...it saw the Sonic and went...Snort!! Walked up to the car and butted it with it's massive antlers.  No damage...my son backed up...it was coming for another.  Never mind the other cars that stopped...I HATE your Sonic!  I think it just knew there were two Germans, a Brazilian and a French girl in the car...you want to see Elk, I show you Elk!  And from there they drove straight back to Wpg - stopping only for gas.  Of which he only spent $443 for the whole trip!  Not bad me thinks.  (he bought all the gas - they paid for food and other stuff)

They had a great time.  Can't wait to hear all about it.

But...the ABS and Wiggle Control lights both went on - so now...guess I gotta figure that out. ABS sensor - maybe wheel speed sensor...who knows.  I did an oil change and put the winter tires on (didn't need them - it was 17 in Jasper!) before they left, but that shouldn't have done anything.  Car now has 141,000 km on it...time (close) to replace the timing belt...and who knows what else.  Been a great little car for 10 yrs!  Might be OK to spend some money on it.  Cheaper than a new car.

What a great adventure! Awesome to have that type of stuff to look back on.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #16796 on: October 21, 2022, 12:59:48 pm »

You are one funny SOB  :rofl2:

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16797 on: October 21, 2022, 01:06:49 pm »
Sounds like an awesome trip! 5 people + gear in a Sonic is TIGHT though, yeesh. I'd guess speed sensor as well on the ABS/Trac lights, I believe, in the front, they're built into the hub assembly and are a common failure point.

Excellent.  So not required in order to drive the car.  Black Tape Project maybe...  ;D  Oh I'd hyper link that...but that'll eff up my YouTube suggestions here at work.  ;D

That sounds like a great time, 5 people in a Sonic, yeeech, to be young again.

Aside from the sore butts, it sounds like they had an amazing adventure.  Canada's a bit bigger than most places they've been to - well maybe Brazil is HuGe too.  Never been there.  They were hoping to see northern lights, hopefully they got a chance.  A few other international's went to Churchill by train to see polar bears.  My kid being the only one who's not from a far away land - their official Cdn Tour Guide. (which is funny since he's more of a stay at home kinda guy - this has been great for him  ;D)

And yes - oh to be young again.  Did something similar in a 5.0 back in the day, but that was only 2 of us.  More friends, more fun.

What a great adventure! Awesome to have that type of stuff to look back on.

Was probably more fun than our Iceland trip, and double the km too.  I mean...it was me - not friends on that trip.  How fun is a dad??  ::) ;D
« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 01:09:04 pm by BWII »

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16798 on: October 21, 2022, 01:58:42 pm »
 O0 Just took it for a quick spin on a gravel road...no ABS...not TC...no Stabilitrack.  It's...dare I say...fun??  Pulled the hand brake (low speed) and nope, no gnarshing of ABS modules (damn where's the snow?)...stomped on the gas in 2nd and whoa Nelly!!  Is Ken Block chasing me?  Apparently I'm about to get out of the way!!  3rd gear...yup...who knew 138 hp on loose gravel could spin (wee bit) in 3rd!?  Row the steering wheel from side to side... :rofl: ...this is awesome!!  Locked up the tires on dry asphalt...neighbour probably gonna come out and scream me an earful - hypocrite.  ::)

What to do what to do...

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #16799 on: October 22, 2022, 08:44:21 pm »
Got both of the Caddies oil sprayed this week, and then washed and waxed them both today - all ready for winter   :'(

Most of the other cars have been stored, just the Sonoma and the Jag still out....Might tuck the Sonoma away tomorrow. Need to burn a bit more gas in it and do an oil change.