Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3009185 times)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #16760 on: October 18, 2022, 04:37:14 pm »
Prepped the 360 for sale...  :-[
Not surprised.

Money pit

Lol, far from it.

More like, an unattainable dream car that's actually a dream car has become available. Need to make room for an upgrade, and this is the one that makes the most sense.

Don't feed the spam bots  ;)

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #16761 on: October 18, 2022, 04:41:08 pm »
Not surprised.

Money pit

Lol, far from it.

More like, an unattainable dream car that's actually a dream car has become available. Need to make room for an upgrade, and this is the one that makes the most sense.

Don't feed the spam bots  ;)

Yah...Ron is on a diet
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #16762 on: October 18, 2022, 05:06:25 pm »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #16763 on: October 18, 2022, 05:08:30 pm »
The BMW got a very thorough rustproofing done today with the non-drip Rust Cure Formula 3000 product.
Having it thoroughly washed, degreased and cleaned plus having all coverings removed allowed the guy to reach and touch every crevice of the body.
Now I have piece of mind that I did everything I could to extend its life as much as possible.
Price was a very reasonable $140 and the guy did an outstanding job as far as I'm concerned. He owns an E46 and he's very familiar with BMWs; he also noted that the car has little rust for its age.

The GTI goes to the same place in few days and the Outlander after.

With the GTI and Outlander also be degreased, cleaned and have all coverings removed??
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #16764 on: October 18, 2022, 05:56:49 pm »
The BMW got a very thorough rustproofing done today with the non-drip Rust Cure Formula 3000 product.
Having it thoroughly washed, degreased and cleaned plus having all coverings removed allowed the guy to reach and touch every crevice of the body.
Now I have piece of mind that I did everything I could to extend its life as much as possible.
Price was a very reasonable $140 and the guy did an outstanding job as far as I'm concerned. He owns an E46 and he's very familiar with BMWs; he also noted that the car has little rust for its age.

The GTI goes to the same place in few days and the Outlander after.

With the GTI and Outlander also be degreased, cleaned and have all coverings removed??

LOL...Nope. Just hosed off with the garden hose. On the GTI though I removed the undercarriage covers as it's fairly easy - 3 big pieces, 2 types of fasteners and done in less than 30 min from the ramps.No big deal.
Mitsubishi doesn't have any.... wide open.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 05:59:34 pm by Dante »

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #16765 on: October 18, 2022, 06:24:11 pm »
Swapped in some new front strut assemblies into the Ridgeline with mixed results... First one went in no problem. Straightforward other than needed to coax some 12 year old bolts to turn with a torch. The other side not so easy. I got a little inattentive since the first one was easy and the bolts on this side didn't even need heat. Everything was proceeding quick until I went to tighten the top strut plate bolts. I spun the SUPPLIED NUTS onto each threaded stud a turn or two. Finished off two of them with an air ratchet. So far so good. The last one torqued up and spun the stud out of it's press fit in the top hat of the strut.  Oh oh.  Monroe shipped me a little sealed baggie of new hardware. Two nuts were the proper thread pitch while the third was coarser. Long story short I effd the threads on the stud and Rock Auto is sending me a whole new assembly.

moral of the story: Don't trust anything!

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #16766 on: October 18, 2022, 07:25:29 pm »
That's pretty good service from Rock Auto.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16767 on: October 18, 2022, 07:35:01 pm »
That's pretty good service from Rock Auto.

There shipping times and customer service are why I use them. I'm kicking myself because if I picked up on that wrong thread nut I could have just used an old one from the other assembly. Now I have to do it all over again and haul the defective one down to UPS.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #16768 on: October 18, 2022, 07:45:35 pm »
Well the problem is dealing with seized parts.  It aggravating, tiring, and that leads to tiny errors that normally would not occur.  I have spent decades dealing with mid Ontario salt cars.  I can't deal with it anymore.

My Tremor is built and on the train.  Once it actually arrives I am ordering a rough country lift kit; essentially front struts and shocks.  Brand new fasteners all around.  It will be so enjoyable to get under the vehicle completely stress free.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16769 on: October 18, 2022, 07:51:17 pm »
Well the problem is dealing with seized parts.  It aggravating, tiring, and that leads to tiny errors that normally would not occur.  I have spent decades dealing with mid Ontario salt cars.  I can't deal with it anymore.

My Tremor is built and on the train.  Once it actually arrives I am ordering a rough country lift kit; essentially front struts and shocks.  Brand new fasteners all around.  It will be so enjoyable to get under the vehicle completely stress free.

Yes old suspension parts are not pleasant. Torches and angle grinders... I'm pretty pissed that Monroe sent me a baggie of nuts with 2 metric and then 1 something else.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16770 on: October 19, 2022, 12:18:35 am »
Incredible. Replacement strut assembly shipped this evening and I will have Thursday. Not bad.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16771 on: October 19, 2022, 03:26:37 am »
Incredible. Replacement strut assembly shipped this evening and I will have Thursday. Not bad.

Yeah, same experience here: did the return online on Friday night, dropped off the package to FedEx on Sat morning, got tracking number on Sun an should arrive on Wed. Free shipping for return and replacement.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #16772 on: October 19, 2022, 08:26:38 am »
Not surprised.

Wonder how many on here will get that reference?  ;D

Those of us who don't think "peanut butter" when we hear "Skippy" will  ;)
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #16773 on: October 19, 2022, 08:44:02 am »

Yeah, same experience here: did the return online on Friday night, dropped off the package to FedEx on Sat morning, got tracking number on Sun an should arrive on Wed. Free shipping for return and replacement.

I had an ignition coil arrive looking pretty beat up the other day....Was obviously really old inventory, was poorly packaged (in the manufacture box, not an RA issue) and as a result coil was kinda lose from the heat sync part (one of those old GM designs for the HEI system). Didn't want to install it that way, went through the online process and was refunded, in full, immediately. They didn't ask for the unit back.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16774 on: October 19, 2022, 11:39:12 am »

I had an ignition coil arrive looking pretty beat up the other day....Was obviously really old inventory, was poorly packaged (in the manufacture box, not an RA issue) and as a result coil was kinda lose from the heat sync part (one of those old GM designs for the HEI system). Didn't want to install it that way, went through the online process and was refunded, in full, immediately. They didn't ask for the unit back.

Yeah I doubt it is worth their time. In my case they will likely just ship the strut assembly back to Monroe and it will get RR'd and shipped back out. I have learned my lesson to carefully examine all aspects of a part before installing. Included sealed bags with hardware for compatible thread pitches. ;D

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16775 on: October 19, 2022, 11:51:01 am »
Same here although I usually do, I didn't do it for the radiator while has been sitting in the garage for weeks.
Learned about the defect when the mechanic took it out of the box to install it. Once the replacement arrives, I will surely take it out of the box to inspect it.

BTW: I have an active discount code for 5% valid till Dec 18 in case anyone here wants it.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #16776 on: October 19, 2022, 11:55:10 am »
Prepped the TR6 for winter storage last week. Glued a section of weatherstripping that had come loose, reinstalled the interior hazard switch and tinkered a bit with the reverse lights (they still don't work). I attempted to remove the old under hood hazard switch's bracket (old = square, new = round) but the screw got stuck at a point and the head stripped. After some cursing that involved pliers, more cursing was deferred to 2023 - I just clamped the thing to wires so it'll stay put in transit. Interior switch caused skinned fingers and more cursing until I saw the very subtle check in the switch body and metal dashboard - once I saw that, the thing was installed in 2 minutes.

Started on the first (long) crank and ran fine to MIL's. Still have to go back to get the battery and put the cover on it. Next year, I need to get the reverse lights to work (one did at a point, so minor issues in the back to fix) and get that car safetied so I can roar through town with the hardtop off!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 11:57:10 am by Blueprint »

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #16777 on: October 19, 2022, 07:50:55 pm »
SW2 winter shoes, done.
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #16778 on: October 19, 2022, 08:42:57 pm »
Prepped the TR6 for winter storage last week. Glued a section of weatherstripping that had come loose, reinstalled the interior hazard switch and tinkered a bit with the reverse lights (they still don't work). I attempted to remove the old under hood hazard switch's bracket (old = square, new = round) but the screw got stuck at a point and the head stripped. After some cursing that involved pliers, more cursing was deferred to 2023 - I just clamped the thing to wires so it'll stay put in transit. Interior switch caused skinned fingers and more cursing until I saw the very subtle check in the switch body and metal dashboard - once I saw that, the thing was installed in 2 minutes.

Started on the first (long) crank and ran fine to MIL's. Still have to go back to get the battery and put the cover on it. Next year, I need to get the reverse lights to work (one did at a point, so minor issues in the back to fix) and get that car safetied so I can roar through town with the hardtop off!

Man, you need to get that thing on the road, what's it been, 2 years? Get on it!  ;D

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #16779 on: October 19, 2022, 08:45:10 pm »

Man, you need to get that thing on the road, what's it been, 2 years? Get on it!  ;D

I feel like it'd have been running beautifully if he spent 20% of the time he spent extensively researching Crosstreks on the Triumph ;D
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks