Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3009062 times)

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #16720 on: September 30, 2022, 06:13:38 pm »
 Got the truck Krowned today. Next time i'll take some pictures of it parked in the road for Blueprint. :P

The place I use is in Halifax so had to drive over the bridge to Dartmouth. Getting lots of funny looks from people. They thought my vehicle was on fire from all the smoke. At this moment I don't think a mechanic would want to touch my vehicle. :o
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #16721 on: September 30, 2022, 06:30:15 pm »
Got the truck Krowned today. Next time i'll take some pictures of it parked in the road for Blueprint. :P

The place I use is in Halifax so had to drive over the bridge to Dartmouth. Getting lots of funny looks from people. They thought my vehicle was on fire from all the smoke. At this moment I don't think a mechanic would want to touch my vehicle. :o

So do they just basically spray the underside with a heavy oil/bitumen and it drips/burns off?

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #16722 on: September 30, 2022, 07:02:24 pm »
Think slightly heavier version of WD40.  If they are sloppy in will smoke off the headers.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #16723 on: September 30, 2022, 09:23:17 pm »
^^  yup,some of it got sprayed over my exhaust system. I guess no one out west has ever heard of Krown. This is the only reason my truck still exists. They must use those electronic rust control systems instead. ;D

Krown -https://www.krown.com/en/
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 09:26:43 pm by Seafoam »

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #16724 on: September 30, 2022, 09:29:05 pm »

The old unit at almost 12 years old was corroding. The ones down east must look horrible by now.

I guess it depends.
The one I took off the BMW (12 yo, 192K) didn't look bad and not really rusted but it sits high in the engine bay.
Just looked at the Outlander's tonight (15.5 yo/232K) and it's not bad either rust wise; just dirty as the engine bay is in need for a wash.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #16725 on: September 30, 2022, 10:18:34 pm »

The old unit at almost 12 years old was corroding. The ones down east must look horrible by now.

I guess it depends.
The one I took off the BMW (12 yo, 192K) didn't look bad and not really rusted but it sits high in the engine bay.
Just looked at the Outlander's tonight (15.5 yo/232K) and it's not bad either rust wise; just dirty as the engine bay is in need for a wash.

Yeah I was referencing the Ridgelines. The alternator sits about halfway down near the edge of the rad so there is quit a lot of road blast coming through onto it.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #16726 on: October 03, 2022, 08:48:16 am »
Got "Jackie" exterior all detailed and ready for the maritime winter ahead.  I usually do this a bit later but had the time and weather this weekend and really didn't want to have to do it on a cold day.  I ended up using this Silverwax paint sealer product https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/silverwax-double-polymer-auto-paint-sealant-kit-0392716p.html?loc=plp that was on clearance at Crappy Tire.  I actually bought the last two kits they had as it was such a good price.  I am really pleased with the end result.  I think the ceramic coating that the dealer/Honda added to the vehicle really helped with keeping the angel hair swirl marks to a minimum and it's as smooth as glass now.  My process was foam cannon, scrubbed with my micro fiber car mop with clean water in a bucket, then hand wash with a car wash and wax, then a quick clay bar, and finally the silverwax paint sealer.  This sealer is supposed to be good for 10,000kms so that's a whole year of mileage for me.  We will see how it holds up for the winter.

Winter tires go on at the end of the month.  I'll be detailing the inside likely next weekend just to have it done until next spring.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #16727 on: October 03, 2022, 10:05:11 am »
^^ Looks good!
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #16728 on: October 03, 2022, 11:04:24 am »
+1. It has colour  :D
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #16729 on: October 06, 2022, 11:01:31 pm »
Replaced the starter, spark plugs and ignition coils on the BMW today.  Pretty happy with the outcome - car starts in a split second now, way faster than before, and it runs and idles smoother. Had the VANOS solenoids cleaned up too (no issues so I didn't replace them).
The spark plugs were completely cooked/black (I wonder if they were original as they were BMW branded) and half of the ignition coils were still original by the date stamped on them...
The new ignition coils I put in are the updated Delphi which are identical to what BMW sells as replacement currently (at more than x3 the price from RA).

Next, and last, big planned job is the cooling system refresh (radiator, water pump, thermostat, hoses), but not in the very near future unless something fails before spring or so, or I have a sudden impulse to do it sooner.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #16730 on: October 06, 2022, 11:43:42 pm »
New CV joints in the A5!

All is well again.

There were 2 areas on the old ones that were torn and grease was leaking.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Dahtasnaby

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Honda
« Reply #16731 on: October 07, 2022, 07:43:20 am »
Just finished swapping out the Honda winter tires

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16732 on: October 10, 2022, 03:49:06 pm »

Took the Elantra to auto-x. I was after a Ford pickup and a Porsche GT4  :rofl2:

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #16733 on: October 10, 2022, 04:01:35 pm »
Got "Jackie" exterior all detailed and ready for the maritime winter ahead.  I usually do this a bit later but had the time and weather this weekend and really didn't want to have to do it on a cold day.  I ended up using this Silverwax paint sealer product https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/silverwax-double-polymer-auto-paint-sealant-kit-0392716p.html?loc=plp that was on clearance at Crappy Tire.  I actually bought the last two kits they had as it was such a good price.  I am really pleased with the end result.  I think the ceramic coating that the dealer/Honda added to the vehicle really helped with keeping the angel hair swirl marks to a minimum and it's as smooth as glass now.  My process was foam cannon, scrubbed with my micro fiber car mop with clean water in a bucket, then hand wash with a car wash and wax, then a quick clay bar, and finally the silverwax paint sealer.  This sealer is supposed to be good for 10,000kms so that's a whole year of mileage for me.  We will see how it holds up for the winter.

Winter tires go on at the end of the month.  I'll be detailing the inside likely next weekend just to have it done until next spring.

Freaking love the colour.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #16734 on: October 10, 2022, 04:54:35 pm »
Hadn't driven the Camaro since sometime in July. Went to grab it, started fine, felt normal on the city streets, jumped on the highway and bam - wouldn't accelerate over 80kph. Would pull hard, well as hard as a 2.8L V6 does, right up to 80 and then just loose all power. It was obviously not getting enough fuel, but why...I had replace the fuel filter last year, so had to be either a weak fuel pump (mechanical unit), dirty pickup tube, or collapsed rubbed lines somewhere. So, I swapped the rubber lines and blew back to the tank, no change. Ordered a fuel pump, but figured I'd change the fuel filter again just for good measure and surprisingly that did the trick!
Now, that filter had less than 1000kms on it, so there may be some dirt in the tank that got picked up and clogged it, so I'll have to keep a few on hand in case I need to do some more filter changes.

With it running properly again, I got it, and the MGB, tucked away for the winter. Trans Am is next...

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #16735 on: October 10, 2022, 05:26:04 pm »
Hadn't driven the Camaro since sometime in July. Went to grab it, started fine, felt normal on the city streets, jumped on the highway and bam - wouldn't accelerate over 80kph. Would pull hard, well as hard as a 2.8L V6 does, right up to 80 and then just loose all power. It was obviously not getting enough fuel, but why...I had replace the fuel filter last year, so had to be either a weak fuel pump (mechanical unit), dirty pickup tube, or collapsed rubbed lines somewhere. So, I swapped the rubber lines and blew back to the tank, no change. Ordered a fuel pump, but figured I'd change the fuel filter again just for good measure and surprisingly that did the trick!
Now, that filter had less than 1000kms on it, so there may be some dirt in the tank that got picked up and clogged it, so I'll have to keep a few on hand in case I need to do some more filter changes.

With it running properly again, I got it, and the MGB, tucked away for the winter. Trans Am is next...
Uh oh…hope that tank isn’t rusty inside. Fun job to pull lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #16736 on: October 10, 2022, 05:57:25 pm »

Thanks bud, I too love this colour.  It is surprising how many orange vehicles there are on the road.  One of those things where you buy something and all of a sudden see them everywhere. 

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #16737 on: October 10, 2022, 07:26:59 pm »

Uh oh…hope that tank isn’t rusty inside. Fun job to pull lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I am hoping it's not too bad. Might put my scope down there next season and check it out....or not :rofl2:
If it does it again I'll probably just add and in-line filter before the pump....easy 5 minute roadside swap if needed. Changing the little cartridge filter in the carb is a big pain on the 2.8 (vs the v8 cars where it's really easy access)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #16738 on: October 10, 2022, 08:11:59 pm »

Thanks bud, I too love this colour.  It is surprising how many orange vehicles there are on the road.  One of those things where you buy something and all of a sudden see them everywhere.

:cheers:

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #16739 on: October 12, 2022, 09:10:42 pm »
Volt's leather on steering wheel was starting to show some dryness, maybe after 2 years of alcool base hand disinfectant (?) but I gave a try applying "Mink Oil" destined to leather winter boot, the touch feeling seem better now...

Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...