Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3009080 times)

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #16680 on: September 20, 2022, 10:20:48 am »
Odyssey had developped a nasty clunk in the front end. My diagnostic was right ball joint (left was done pre-pandemic). Dropped the van at the indy this morning, just got the verdict: right ball joint. Will be fixed in time for pick-up right after lunch.

The van is aging well - it's still on its original shocks and does not feel wobbly at all. Entire exhaust system still original too.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #16681 on: September 20, 2022, 10:34:50 am »
Try and tell myself how much easier fixing/cleaning is now, before fingers freeze, plastic snaps, etc. Edmonton winter usually comes in for good end October, but can be mid Oct some years

Just ordered my Hakka 10 studded tires, will be interested if they help with the freezing rain we got regularly last winter
I can tell you they are amazing for that freezing rain we had. While the all season peasants were busy sliding into curbs and crashing into each other, I had 100% control of the Wrangler and then the Ridgeline.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

That's what I was going by. Will be interesting comparing the Hakka's to the DM-V2's on the RX

Of course maybe it won't rain this winter, rather than every couple weeks like last year

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #16682 on: September 20, 2022, 10:41:52 am »
Try and tell myself how much easier fixing/cleaning is now, before fingers freeze, plastic snaps, etc. Edmonton winter usually comes in for good end October, but can be mid Oct some years

Just ordered my Hakka 10 studded tires, will be interested if they help with the freezing rain we got regularly last winter
I can tell you they are amazing for that freezing rain we had. While the all season peasants were busy sliding into curbs and crashing into each other, I had 100% control of the Wrangler and then the Ridgeline.

That's what I was going by. Will be interesting comparing the Hakka's to the DM-V2's on the RX

Of course maybe it won't rain this winter, rather than every couple weeks like last year

Clearly a studded tire will perform better than a non-studded tire in freezing rain/icy conditions. 

The Blizzak may perform better in deep snow, though.  Plus you have to put up with the noise of studs the entire rest of the time.  I guess it depends on how much you value that ice traction.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #16683 on: September 20, 2022, 11:03:28 am »

Clearly a studded tire will perform better than a non-studded tire in freezing rain/icy conditions. 

The Blizzak may perform better in deep snow, though.  Plus you have to put up with the noise of studs the entire rest of the time.  I guess it depends on how much you value that ice traction.

Studded tires aren't allowed in parkades, including at work, so too limiting for me. I notice more people with them in the 'burbs though, probably because of the rise of available pre-studded options. Overkill for most users I see around.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #16684 on: September 20, 2022, 12:10:49 pm »

Honestly, the noise isn't that noticeable. On the Wrangler it was because it had noise insulation like a covered wagon. On our Lexus, Ridgeline and my moms RX450h, its not really that noticeable. Here deep snow isn't really a concern, the slack jawed steering wheel holder going backwards through an intersection is a much bigger issue  ;D
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #16685 on: September 20, 2022, 12:21:28 pm »
Odyssey had developped a nasty clunk in the front end. My diagnostic was right ball joint (left was done pre-pandemic). Dropped the van at the indy this morning, just got the verdict: right ball joint. Will be fixed in time for pick-up right after lunch.

The van is aging well - it's still on its original shocks and does not feel wobbly at all. Entire exhaust system still original too.

When would you expect to replace shocks?  We have terrible roads out east, too, and I'm going on 150k on the originals in the Pilot.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16686 on: September 20, 2022, 01:07:32 pm »

When would you expect to replace shocks?  We have terrible roads out east, too, and I'm going on 150k on the originals in the Pilot.

No idea. On my 2003 Odyssey, the front struts had to be replaced IIRC after 8 years and 100k. Just shows how solid wear parts like shocks and exhaust components have become.

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #16687 on: September 20, 2022, 03:14:13 pm »

No idea. On my 2003 Odyssey, the front struts had to be replaced IIRC after 8 years and 100k. Just shows how solid wear parts like shocks and exhaust components have become.

Yeah, "muffler shops" really aren't a thing anymore, when you think about it.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #16688 on: September 20, 2022, 04:01:33 pm »
I replaced the shocks and struts on the Outlander at around 160K and about 8 years. One shock was leaking at the time, which prompted me to start the suspension overhaul... After replacing the shocks/struts, the car was feeling noticeable better. I think when you drive long enough on worn-down shocks/struts you get used to it and think they are fine; all until you put new parts on and feel the difference.

As for the exhaust, I replaced it when the car was about 11 years old. I could've probably try to patch it up but it was rusted all along and not worth wasting my time and money. I went aftermarket for the exhaust pipes/cat as it was much cheaper than OEM and I didn't think I would keep the car much longer at the time. However, the aftermarket stuff is crap and had to patch it up already not to mention I'm on the 3rd Y-pipe in this time interval.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #16689 on: September 20, 2022, 04:16:29 pm »
The Corolla-based Vibe is still on its original struts and has never had any suspension work, feels pretty solid to me still at 230,000. My Mazda pickup went through a few shocks but nothing else suspension related until it was done at 430,000

Remember when the Chrysler guy was here he thought it totally normal the Patriot/Compass would need various front end bits at 100,000, and AFAIK the Fiat 500 is quite a bit worse

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16690 on: September 20, 2022, 04:19:18 pm »
I replaced the shocks and struts on the Outlander at around 160K and about 8 years. One shock was leaking at the time, which prompted me to start the suspension overhaul... After replacing the shocks/struts, the car was feeling noticeable better. I think when you drive long enough on worn-down shocks/struts you get used to it and think they are fine; all until you put new parts on and feel the difference.

I understand exactly your point, as with my endless supply of new weekly rides, there's a "thightness" to a new car, like a crisp pair of jeans vs a well-worn, soft old pair. No doubt I would feel the change if I installed new parts.

As for the exhaust, I replaced it when the car was about 11 years old. I could've probably try to patch it up but it was rusted all along and not worth wasting my time and money. I went aftermarket for the exhaust pipes/cat as it was much cheaper than OEM and I didn't think I would keep the car much longer at the time. However, the aftermarket stuff is crap and had to patch it up already not to mention I'm on the 3rd Y-pipe in this time interval.

My last dance with the exhaust tango was in faraway times, with my '86 Celica that I owned from '89 to '95. Once I started swapping in Midas bits, everything would go at some point, some parts with repeat failures ... except of course for the "lifetime warranty" muffler. Even that went at some point.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #16691 on: September 25, 2022, 06:59:19 pm »
Pulled the trigger on the newest all weather tires....Bridgestone Weatherpeak.

https://www.bridgestonetire.com/our-tires/tire-brand/weatherpeak/
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 07:05:19 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #16692 on: September 25, 2022, 08:16:49 pm »
Rainy day, so I played around in the garage. Gave the Jag & Sonoma a good end of season wax, will probably put the Jag away in a couple weeks, the Sonoma I usually keep out until the weather really turns as it comes in handy once and awhile.

I also noticed that the front bump stops on the Sonoma were really, really dry rotted....So I replace those too.

Offline LanderGX

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: F150
« Reply #16693 on: September 25, 2022, 10:34:21 pm »
Rainy day, so I played around in the garage. Gave the Jag & Sonoma a good end of season wax, will probably put the Jag away in a couple weeks, the Sonoma I usually keep out until the weather really turns as it comes in handy once and awhile.

I also noticed that the front bump stops on the Sonoma were really, really dry rotted....So I replace those too.

Looks like they are ready for the winter.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #16694 on: September 25, 2022, 11:10:13 pm »
Gave the Lebaron a wax and clean. It’s completed another summer of almost daily use with surprisingly no mechanical failures. Although this year for some odd reason caused the headliner to completely come unglued.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #16695 on: September 25, 2022, 11:32:12 pm »

Yep, that muffin is done.

Gave the Lebaron a wax and clean. It’s completed another summer of almost daily use with surprisingly no mechanical failures. Although this year for some odd reason caused the headliner to completely come unglued.

:love:
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
« Reply #16696 on: September 26, 2022, 12:51:13 am »

So cool!

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #16697 on: September 26, 2022, 08:57:27 pm »
Miata threw another engine code today - P0455, large evap. Forums say it could be a wide range of things - could be a faulty gas cap or a wide range of other related emissions parts.

Ordered an aftermarket cap that was highly recommended on Miata forums for $7. OEM version is $53!

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #16698 on: September 27, 2022, 07:08:03 pm »
Changed the oil on my new to me 1990 Cadillac. First time since 2006. It was part of an estate and been tucked away in a garage for some time. But who thought putting the oil filter on TOP of the engine at an angle was a good idea? Even me trying desperately with rags and a small tray I was still unable catch all the oil that dumped out of the filter. I’m sure dealers/lube shops didn’t take much care to ensure oil didn’t spill all over the place when these were new and that oil got in every crease and crevice slowly leaking into the owners driveway.

Bad idea GM!

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #16699 on: September 27, 2022, 08:27:43 pm »
Good lord that's bad. What motor is that?