Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3008934 times)

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #16640 on: September 01, 2022, 03:45:33 pm »
Nice work!  How long did it take you?
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #16641 on: September 01, 2022, 03:56:24 pm »
Nice work!  How long did it take you?

I didn't do any of the suspension work,I was changing brakes and noticed the rusty holes. 
Got the control arms for $100 each at NAPA, hardware another $100 and installed for $200 cash.  I didn't want to deal with those rusty bolts without a hoist and other bits.  Got the alignment done at a nearby KIA dealer because I know the mechanic who does alignments.
Mr Pickypants

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #16642 on: September 01, 2022, 04:14:41 pm »
Ah right, I missed that.

Damn, that's a pretty cheap repair.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #16643 on: September 02, 2022, 10:35:42 am »
Mevotech TTX, looks to be their "premium" line.  There are golden nuggets on Rock auto just need to avoid the junk.

Canadian company!

I often find the Mevotech stuff cheaper to buy in Canada from The Wrench Monkey. Not always mind you..but often enough that I look there before buying.

https://www.thewrenchmonkey.ca/products/auto-parts/mevotech/txms60864/

Ordered some Mevotech front lower control arms (with grease zerks yay) from Parts Avatar. They were the only Canadian company offering the mevotechs but I will say this is no Rock Auto. Ordered Tuesday and still sitting in fulfillment with no timeline on delivery... The Roack auto stuff would have been here yesterday.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #16644 on: September 02, 2022, 11:06:20 am »
Mevotech TTX, looks to be their "premium" line.  There are golden nuggets on Rock auto just need to avoid the junk.

Canadian company!

I often find the Mevotech stuff cheaper to buy in Canada from The Wrench Monkey. Not always mind you..but often enough that I look there before buying.

Ordered some Mevotech front lower control arms (with grease zerks yay) from Parts Avatar. They were the only Canadian company offering the mevotechs but I will say this is no Rock Auto. Ordered Tuesday and still sitting in fulfillment with no timeline on delivery... The Roack auto stuff would have been here yesterday.

I was going to order from PartsAvatar, best prices, but the delivery was way too long.   I got the Mevotech control arms for the Cayenne from NAPA for $30 more each.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #16645 on: September 02, 2022, 11:09:49 am »
 Yes if you need the parts right a way then not the place to order from.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16646 on: September 02, 2022, 11:32:34 am »

Canadian company!

I was going to order from PartsAvatar, best prices, but the delivery was way too long.   I got the Mevotech control arms for the Cayenne from NAPA for $30 more each.

The Mevotechs from Napa for my application were double the cost ($260) than they were from Parts Avatar, otherwise I would have shopped local.  Rock auto shipping last week was nasty which took them out of the running.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16647 on: September 02, 2022, 11:38:23 am »

Canadian company!

The Mevotechs from Napa for my application were double the cost ($260) than they were from Parts Avatar, otherwise I would have shopped local.  Rock auto shipping last week was nasty which took them out of the running.

Autopartsway.ca has better shipping, but their prices are hit and miss.   Partsmonkey.com might be ok too, haven't tried them.   
Shipping from Rockauto has gotten nuts, dunno what's up with that?

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #16648 on: September 02, 2022, 11:43:41 am »
I believe it was rrocket that said he's had positive experience with Partsmonkey.  I haven't tried them either.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16649 on: September 02, 2022, 01:42:37 pm »
partsmonkey didn't have the arms I wanted.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #16650 on: September 02, 2022, 01:52:36 pm »

Just curious, what do you mean by that? I just ordered something last night and today I got the notification the order is shipped. Probably will be here mid-next week.

Shipping price, while few bucks higher ($25 for this order) than it used to be, it's still reasonable.

The only thing that need to be aware off is that sometimes, depending on what you order, it may ship from 2 or more locations in which case shipping is double/triple. In this last order, I had to remove one cheap item from the order to avoid a second shipping charge. Luckily it was just some bolts which can order locally an still come on top.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16651 on: September 02, 2022, 02:15:50 pm »

Just curious, what do you mean by that? I just ordered something last night and today I got the notification the order is shipped. Probably will be here mid-next week.

Shipping price, while few bucks higher ($25 for this order) than it used to be, it's still reasonable.

The only thing that need to be aware off is that sometimes, depending on what you order, it may ship from 2 or more locations in which case shipping is double/triple. In this last order, I had to remove one cheap item from the order to avoid a second shipping charge. Luckily it was just some bolts which can order locally an still come on top.

Seems to vary. I was looking at $200 shipping for two control arms..

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #16652 on: September 02, 2022, 02:30:11 pm »

Wow... that's too much for sure.

Currently I have another saved cart with $627 worth of stuff in it before tax. Shipping shows $26.29 as it's all shipped from one location. Only one item in the cart would be more than the total cost from RockAuto for 6 items,  if purchased from any Canadian online store.

I guess indeed it all depends of what and where....

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16653 on: September 02, 2022, 02:42:32 pm »

Similar here, I think it was $175 to ship the arms from Rockauto

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #16654 on: September 02, 2022, 02:54:34 pm »
Yeah, RA has many fulfillment points in the US, so depending on where it's coming from and what the freight rates are like in that area the cost can swing pretty dramatically. Also, like Dante said, if you can consolidate items in your cart to one ship point you can save quite a bit in shipping.....sometimes that means swapping brands based on what items are shipping from where.

I ordered a door lock actuator assembly earlier this week...Anything local was $200+ and the dealer was $350. RA was $60 + $24 shipping from Sugarland Tx.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16655 on: September 02, 2022, 04:24:50 pm »
I use rock auto a lot and the prices last couple weeks are nuts. This is the shipping for 2 control arms and 4 struts.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #16656 on: September 02, 2022, 04:38:34 pm »
I use rock auto a lot and the prices last couple weeks are nuts. This is the shipping for 2 control arms and 4 struts.

Yeah, that's insane.  :o

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #16657 on: September 02, 2022, 05:31:03 pm »
Don't understand shipping at all. The shipping for the 4 rims I just ordered from Quebec was $20

Just for fun I checked what shipping was for a whole new CRV driveshaft off Ebay from California, like what I ordered a few years ago.

One vendor still wants $37, one $660!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #16658 on: September 02, 2022, 06:56:02 pm »
partsmonkey didn't have the arms I wanted.
I have found that they sometimes don't show a tremendous selection online.

A phone call can sometimes dig up the part you need.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #16659 on: September 03, 2022, 12:44:31 pm »
1st towing ride for the SW2 under my watch (more than 10 years now) after quite a hot day. I drove it my self first part of the day.

Meanwhile, running at idle park on street to show the young lady the basic of her daily driver for next year or so, the SW2 started streaming steam between right fender & its hood, near to its expansion reservoir, plus spitting some liquid coolant on the street. By precaution of measure after it was turn off and called the CAA to tow it to my proximity mechanic. Unfortunately he is in vacation this week and I don't know how busy his schedule will be the week after. The young Miss was disappointed, Monday August 22nd college starts a new session and she will have to ask friends for lift...

The SW2 is back, invoice under $200, I'm happy with that.

Faulty temperature sensor was misleading the computer and temperature gauge, not starting the thermostatic fan soon enough!
I asked him to replace 20K kms but 11 y.o coolant by the same occasion...
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...