Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3008846 times)

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #16600 on: August 21, 2022, 08:29:37 pm »
Yeah, great Canadian company, good friend of mine now works there as a sales manager.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #16601 on: August 21, 2022, 10:39:28 pm »
Yeah, great Canadian company, good friend of mine now works there as a sales manager.

Good to know. Wrench Monkey was on par with Rock Auto. Good tip.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-770
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #16602 on: August 21, 2022, 10:49:23 pm »
Going on a little road trip to a cottage on a beach tomorrow so I took some time tonight o clean the wagon inside and out. Probably the first time I've hand washed it in over a year.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #16603 on: August 22, 2022, 01:33:21 am »
1st towing ride for the SW2 under my watch (more than 10 years now) after quite a hot day. I drove it my self first part of the day.

Meanwhile, running at idle park on street to show the young lady the basic of her daily driver for next year or so, the SW2 started streaming steam between right fender & its hood, near to its expansion reservoir, plus spitting some liquid coolant on the street. By precaution of measure after it was turn off and called the CAA to tow it to my proximity mechanic. Unfortunately he is in vacation this week and I don't know how busy his schedule will be the week after. The young Miss was disappointed, Monday August 22nd college starts a new session and she will have to ask friends for lift...
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 01:39:54 am by me_2 »
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #16604 on: August 22, 2022, 09:15:48 am »
Not a great start for her and the car, but at least it happened before you handed her the keys....Probably something real simple as there's not a whole lot to go wrong there based on what you described. Hose split, expansion tank cracked, rad cracked, bad cap...All pretty cheap and easy.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #16605 on: August 22, 2022, 09:38:30 am »
Going on a little road trip to a cottage on a beach tomorrow so I took some time tonight o clean the wagon inside and out. Probably the first time I've hand washed it in over a year.

That's bordering on abuse. :P ;D
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #16606 on: August 22, 2022, 10:00:36 am »
Mevotech TTX, looks to be their "premium" line.  There are golden nuggets on Rock auto just need to avoid the junk.

Canadian company!

I often find the Mevotech stuff cheaper to buy in Canada from The Wrench Monkey. Not always mind you..but often enough that I look there before buying.

https://www.thewrenchmonkey.ca/products/auto-parts/mevotech/txms60864/

I've bought quite a bit of stuff from them. In fact just ordered a Denso radiator from them for a relatives car. It was actually cheaper then RA.
I think RA's shipping has definitely increased.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16607 on: August 22, 2022, 10:07:01 am »
Mevotech TTX, looks to be their "premium" line.  There are golden nuggets on Rock auto just need to avoid the junk.

Canadian company!

I often find the Mevotech stuff cheaper to buy in Canada from The Wrench Monkey. Not always mind you..but often enough that I look there before buying.

https://www.thewrenchmonkey.ca/products/auto-parts/mevotech/txms60864/

I've bought quite a bit of stuff from them. In fact just ordered a Denso radiator from them for a relatives car. It was actually cheaper then RA.
I think RA's shipping has definitely increased.

Yes shipping has become tricky. The key is to be patient as many of the quotes are some sort of real time generated bid thing by the shipping companies. My last order from RA was through FedEx. It took 3 days and was $20 so I got lucky.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #16608 on: August 22, 2022, 10:16:42 am »
1st towing ride for the SW2 under my watch (more than 10 years now) after quite a hot day. I drove it my self first part of the day.

Meanwhile, running at idle park on street to show the young lady the basic of her daily driver for next year or so, the SW2 started streaming steam between right fender & its hood, near to its expansion reservoir, plus spitting some liquid coolant on the street. By precaution of measure after it was turn off and called the CAA to tow it to my proximity mechanic. Unfortunately he is in vacation this week and I don't know how busy his schedule will be the week after. The young Miss was disappointed, Monday August 22nd college starts a new session and she will have to ask friends for lift...

But did you ask the car it would be ok if someone else drove it?  :P   Sounds like a thermostat, maybe.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #16609 on: August 22, 2022, 12:54:59 pm »
So... time for another Volt for her?  :)
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #16610 on: August 22, 2022, 02:30:14 pm »
Took the Ridgeline into a bit of an offroad situation this weekend. Went shooting on some crownland with some buddies and had to take her down a rutted, muddy track. After all the ball breaking, they were all very surprised how well it did. I for one was very worried as I didn't want to get stuck so I wouldn't have to get pulled out by my buddies XJ lol.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16611 on: August 22, 2022, 02:48:32 pm »
Took the Ridgeline into a bit of an offroad situation this weekend. Went shooting on some crownland with some buddies and had to take her down a rutted, muddy track. After all the ball breaking, they were all very surprised how well it did. I for one was very worried as I didn't want to get stuck so I wouldn't have to get pulled out by my buddies XJ lol.

Just watch the ground clearance and you will be ok. It is pretty exposed under there.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #16612 on: August 22, 2022, 05:07:20 pm »
So... time for another Volt for her?  :)

:D Not yet. As Firm mentioned, me too I'm guessing something pretty cheap and easy.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #16613 on: August 22, 2022, 06:48:40 pm »
This was last weekend, but I am finally getting around to putting my blue MGB on the road...

:thumbup: :thumbup:
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #16614 on: August 27, 2022, 09:13:08 am »
Yesterday I borrowed a friend's hoist to help change the brakes on the Cayenne.     As I was taking the new parts out of the back first I remembered the hatch didn't always stay up by itself....by walking into it and cracking my head  hard enough to put me on my ass.   As I go down I put out my right hand on the bumper to catch myself...of course the hatch closes on it.    I managed to pull it out as the motor to finish closing it tight comes on.

So I'm sitting on my ass holding my bruised head and my hand before I even turn a wrench.
Mr Pickypants

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #16615 on: August 27, 2022, 10:18:43 am »
Yesterday I borrowed a friend's hoist to help change the brakes on the Cayenne.     As I was taking the new parts out of the back first I remembered the hatch didn't always stay up by itself....by walking into it and cracking my head  hard enough to put me on my ass.   As I go down I put out my right hand on the bumper to catch myself...of course the hatch closes on it.    I managed to pull it out as the motor to finish closing it tight comes on.

So I'm sitting on my ass holding my bruised head and my hand before I even turn a wrench.
Yea, I'd pack up and call it a day!

The signs are sometimes strong that it's not to be! LOL [emoji38]

Hope you heal up quickly!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #16616 on: August 27, 2022, 10:38:24 am »

Ditto!

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #16617 on: August 27, 2022, 10:46:53 am »

Ditto!

I stuck it out and finished the brake job...that went fine.   
But I noticed the rear lower control arms looked rusty, stuck my finger right through it.  NAPA had control arms for $95 each, plus about the same in hardware from the local Audi dealer, appointment on Tuesday as they look like a PITA to change.

Scary rusty, glad to find it before our trip to NB while towing a trailer planned for next week.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16618 on: August 27, 2022, 11:30:18 am »
Good call. Life is too short to deal with corroded suspension parts. That's angle grinder, torch and swearing country.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16619 on: August 27, 2022, 01:51:18 pm »
Good call. Life is too short to deal with corroded suspension parts. That's angle grinder, torch and swearing country.

I hate working under anything that's seen Ontario's salty winters.   Ridiculous difference looking under my older Miata or 911 vs Subaru or Cayenne winter driven vehicles.
I'll get some pictures when I can.