Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3008847 times)

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #16580 on: August 17, 2022, 11:16:35 pm »
This was last weekend, but I am finally getting around to putting my blue MGB on the road...Forced hand to some degree because the car needs to be moved from it's current position, but it's the last car in my fleet that wasn't totally up and running, so I am looking forward to it.

It hasn't really been in regular use since 1994, has only 21K miles on it. I've been starting it every year, and up until about 3 years ago I would spin it around the block every summer and then stick it back away. 3 years ago it got pushed against the back wall in the garage, which made taking it out for a spin more effort than it was worth, so it sat, but I did start it and ran it for 30-40 minutes last summer.

I've actually been pretty good at keeping it up mechanically despite it sitting over the last ~5 years I've rebuilt the brake & clutch master cylinders, rebuilt the carb (still has the factory single stromberg carb with water choke) and a bunch of other little things. I've also been pumping out the gas tank every couple years and replacing it with fresh stuff....so the fuel system shouldn't be *that* bad.

Anyway, I got it unburied, confirmed that it's got brake and clutch hydraulics and doesn't appear to be leaking anything...I am busy this coming weekend, but hopefully the week following I'll be able to drop a battery in it and give it a little shakedown run.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #16581 on: August 18, 2022, 07:42:45 am »
So the CRV buyer ends up with a turkey and the fixer gets a free Rust Check.  I'd love to know exactly the numbers on her deal.  Probably got really slammed.  ::)

Like, who hurt you so much in life that you're this jaded and cynical? 

Do you absolutely refuse to believe that there are good, honest people out there who have each other's best interests at heart?

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile
« Reply #16582 on: August 18, 2022, 09:23:33 am »
So the CRV buyer ends up with a turkey and the fixer gets a free Rust Check.  I'd love to know exactly the numbers on her deal.  Probably got really slammed.  ::)

Do you absolutely refuse to believe that there are good, honest people out there who have each other's best interests at heart?

On this forum or in the real world?

;D

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #16583 on: August 18, 2022, 10:16:50 am »

On this forum or in the real world?

;D

Yes.  Both.  Not everybody in the world is 'out to get you'. 

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #16584 on: August 18, 2022, 10:18:05 am »
I'm just slightly less cynical.  ;D  It is the dealer's #1 job to separate buyers from as much money as possible, not be your friend. Whether they do this is a hard hitting sleaze bag way or ooze pretend friendship doesn't matter. 

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #16585 on: August 18, 2022, 10:30:39 am »
This was last weekend, but I am finally getting around to putting my blue MGB on the road...Forced hand to some degree because the car needs to be moved from it's current position, but it's the last car in my fleet that wasn't totally up and running, so I am looking forward to it.

It hasn't really been in regular use since 1994, has only 21K miles on it. I've been starting it every year, and up until about 3 years ago I would spin it around the block every summer and then stick it back away. 3 years ago it got pushed against the back wall in the garage, which made taking it out for a spin more effort than it was worth, so it sat, but I did start it and ran it for 30-40 minutes last summer.

I've actually been pretty good at keeping it up mechanically despite it sitting over the last ~5 years I've rebuilt the brake & clutch master cylinders, rebuilt the carb (still has the factory single stromberg carb with water choke) and a bunch of other little things. I've also been pumping out the gas tank every couple years and replacing it with fresh stuff....so the fuel system shouldn't be *that* bad.

Anyway, I got it unburied, confirmed that it's got brake and clutch hydraulics and doesn't appear to be leaking anything...I am busy this coming weekend, but hopefully the week following I'll be able to drop a battery in it and give it a little shakedown run.

21k total? Wow

Must have been stored under cover too, looks amazingly good

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #16586 on: August 18, 2022, 10:50:47 am »
Yeah, it's always been covered. It's not perfect though....original paint has some chips, scratches, etc. I've never had the motivation to go around and repair them yet, but I will. The engine bay needs a really good detail, stuff like that. Interior is damn near perfect.
Someone installed those Stainless Steel rocker panel overlays, which look OK, but I kinda wish they weren't there, especially on such a nice original car.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #16587 on: August 18, 2022, 10:57:11 am »
Is there an actual way to lose the rubber bumpers on those or is it a huge project involving welding and changing body panels??
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #16588 on: August 18, 2022, 11:28:43 am »
It's pretty easy if you wanted to. Four bolts drops them right off...and the car's look sorta cool without any bumpers. Then you could toss on a Sebring style roll pan and just run no bumpers, or you can convert to the earlier style chrome bumpers. I believe you can get conversion kits now, it's not too difficult, but I believe there's some metal work to be done to the front fenders if you want it to look 100%.
Not for me though, I don't mind the rubber bumpers at all.  :P Plus, MGBs are not exactly high $ or hard to find...If you don't like the rubber bumpers you just spend an extra grand or two and buy a chrome bumper example.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #16589 on: August 19, 2022, 08:42:58 am »
It's pretty easy if you wanted to. Four bolts drops them right off...and the car's look sorta cool without any bumpers. Then you could toss on a Sebring style roll pan and just run no bumpers, or you can convert to the earlier style chrome bumpers. I believe you can get conversion kits now, it's not too difficult, but I believe there's some metal work to be done to the front fenders if you want it to look 100%.
Not for me though, I don't mind the rubber bumpers at all.  :P Plus, MGBs are not exactly high $ or hard to find...If you don't like the rubber bumpers you just spend an extra grand or two and buy a chrome bumper example.

Exact - Moss Motors sells the kits for the conversion, but BL did a pretty good job of integrating these bumpers on the B and the Midget. Notice I did not mention "Spitfire"  ;D.

Worried about the absence of leaks - is it low on fluids?  ;)
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16590 on: August 19, 2022, 12:17:07 pm »
Looking at my car ownership cost spreadsheet:

Total repair and maintenance cost for the BMW since 2015: $13k
MX-5 since May 2022: $1k

Very close. I bought my 2010 LR4 used in 2013 (70k kms). Now 9 1/2 years later I have spent $12 913 on her. That is everything; Tires, maintenance, windshields etc. Total cost of ownership with an estimated value today: $360/month.

Ridgeline is $277/month. Or as the greasy dealers like to quote  $127.85 bi weekly   ;D

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16591 on: August 19, 2022, 12:27:27 pm »

Exact - Moss Motors sells the kits for the conversion, but BL did a pretty good job of integrating these bumpers on the B and the Midget. Notice I did not mention "Spitfire"  ;D.

To be fair to the Spitfire only '79 and '80 were given the ridiculous black bumpers.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #16592 on: August 19, 2022, 10:03:20 pm »

lol, I mean, there's some oil spots under it and whatnot..but I was half expecting hydraulic leaks, or something else silly. Still haven't pressurized the fuel system, so there's still time for a mess.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #16593 on: August 19, 2022, 10:05:00 pm »

To be fair to the Spitfire only '79 and '80 were given the ridiculous black bumpers.

Yeah, those rubber bumper Spitfires are pretty frumpy. Oddly, it only started halfway through 79...My green 79 had the chrome bumpers on it.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16594 on: August 20, 2022, 10:38:29 am »
In my step by step of refreshing the Ridgeline front end I added new sway bar links. Greaseable ones so was happy I found these on Rock Auto.  The old ones did not play nice and the bolts needed an angle grinder. A simple two bolt project turned into hours of swearing  ;D

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #16595 on: August 20, 2022, 11:11:46 am »
^^^^ Look fancy. What brand?
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16596 on: August 20, 2022, 11:32:43 am »
Mevotech TTX, looks to be their "premium" line.  There are golden nuggets on Rock auto just need to avoid the junk.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #16597 on: August 20, 2022, 02:23:22 pm »
Cool beans. Will keep them in mind.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16598 on: August 20, 2022, 02:31:14 pm »
Unfortunately they were made in China. I try to avoid that as much as possible.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #16599 on: August 21, 2022, 02:44:37 pm »
Mevotech TTX, looks to be their "premium" line.  There are golden nuggets on Rock auto just need to avoid the junk.

Canadian company!

I often find the Mevotech stuff cheaper to buy in Canada from The Wrench Monkey. Not always mind you..but often enough that I look there before buying.

https://www.thewrenchmonkey.ca/products/auto-parts/mevotech/txms60864/
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 03:15:00 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...