Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3008811 times)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #16560 on: August 13, 2022, 08:09:47 am »
^^^Well then, I don't know what other vehicle to recommend for somebody shopping for a compact crossover under $30k. 

Her last Hyundai basically grenaded the engine, so that eliminates anything Korean by default (not that I EVER recommend them, for that exact reason).  GM's products are also out, because Equinoxes and their ilk are also not known for long term engine health.  JEEP?  Actually not a terrible option, although they do suffer from general FCA woes.  Mazda CX-5?  That's a great option, and also long-term reliable.  BUT, it's on the smaller size, and for some people shopping for a compact CUV, interior volume matters (which it does in this case - the dealer just brought in a 2016 CX-5 GT - beautiful vehicle, but my co-worker sat in it, and found it too small.  Fair enough.  Not everybody values driving dynamics).  I don't hate the Ford Escape, but only with the 2.5NA.  I don't like any of the ecoboost engines.  Also, like the CX-5, the Escape is on the smaller size.  The Rav4 would by my normal go-to when recommending a CUV to friends, but they're currently very popular, hard to find, and expensive for the mileage/year, and usually de-contented compared to an equivalent Honda.

That leaves the CR-V, one of Canada's best selling vehicles (for a reason).  Yeah, it's got that little engine vibration at certain RPM's, but that's by design (the 2.4 uses an off-center cylinder bore to improve efficiency, but results in increased vibration).  It certainly won't grenade the engine or transmission at 110 000kms.  The rest of the vehicle should be fairly durable, as well, because it's a Honda. 

How about a sedan?  Plenty of newer Corolla's hanging around for pretty cheap.  I pointed a few out to her, but she made it pretty clear she wanted AWD and the taller ride height of a CUV. 

Anyway, she went and saw the CR-V with her husband, liked it, and will probably finalize a deal on it today.  I can't think of a better option for her.  If you can, please enlighten me, and I'll pass it along.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 08:18:18 am by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #16561 on: August 13, 2022, 09:51:50 am »

Anyway, she went and saw the CR-V with her husband, liked it, and will probably finalize a deal on it today.  I can't think of a better option for her.  If you can, please enlighten me, and I'll pass it along.

Consumer Reports says the 2015 is Recommended and gives it 5/5 for Reliability.  Owner Satisfaction was 3/5 or Average.  If I was looking for a SUV, the good far outweighs the bad on the 2015 CR-V.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #16562 on: August 13, 2022, 11:05:03 am »
^^^Well then, I don't know what other vehicle to recommend for somebody shopping for a compact crossover under $30k. 

Her last Hyundai basically grenaded the engine, so that eliminates anything Korean by default (not that I EVER recommend them, for that exact reason).  GM's products are also out, because Equinoxes and their ilk are also not known for long term engine health.  JEEP?  Actually not a terrible option, although they do suffer from general FCA woes.  Mazda CX-5?  That's a great option, and also long-term reliable.  BUT, it's on the smaller size, and for some people shopping for a compact CUV, interior volume matters (which it does in this case - the dealer just brought in a 2016 CX-5 GT - beautiful vehicle, but my co-worker sat in it, and found it too small.  Fair enough.  Not everybody values driving dynamics).  I don't hate the Ford Escape, but only with the 2.5NA.  I don't like any of the ecoboost engines.  Also, like the CX-5, the Escape is on the smaller size.  The Rav4 would by my normal go-to when recommending a CUV to friends, but they're currently very popular, hard to find, and expensive for the mileage/year, and usually de-contented compared to an equivalent Honda.

That leaves the CR-V, one of Canada's best selling vehicles (for a reason).  Yeah, it's got that little engine vibration at certain RPM's, but that's by design (the 2.4 uses an off-center cylinder bore to improve efficiency, but results in increased vibration).  It certainly won't grenade the engine or transmission at 110 000kms.  The rest of the vehicle should be fairly durable, as well, because it's a Honda. 

How about a sedan?  Plenty of newer Corolla's hanging around for pretty cheap.  I pointed a few out to her, but she made it pretty clear she wanted AWD and the taller ride height of a CUV. 

The right desision was the CR-V. The Escape is probably the worst all around vehicle I've seen in terms of major failures. The ecoturd engines love to crack blocks (amongst other things) and pretty much everything else in those vehicles has some issue or another.

I get asked may times what the best small crossover to buy is. My answer is always a RA4 or CRV, you pay more to buy them, but worth every penny. I recently had a very basic 2015 RAV with 60k, found out there is a TON of demand for these things!

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #16563 on: August 13, 2022, 01:38:30 pm »

Just avoid the 2015 and the early 2016s.  Certainly don't recommend them to novice buyers.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #16564 on: August 13, 2022, 04:35:31 pm »
Price point is $30k and Subaru wasn’t talked about?  You could also go new with a Crosstrek.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16565 on: August 13, 2022, 04:48:56 pm »
Price point is $30k and Subaru wasn’t talked about?  You could also go new with a Crosstrek.

Shoot, didn't even cross my mind.  A Crosstrek would have been great.  They're hard to find, though, and she needs a new car, like Monday.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #16566 on: August 14, 2022, 06:36:12 pm »
Ordered basic BT/USB radio replacement for the Saturn SW2, only 1 compatible model (not touch screen) was stock and the harness kit fall in back order after I placed my order...!  :P

Also bought 9006 halogen substitute LED low beam kit, if it works well, may buy later 9005 high beam kit.

It was quick!
Crutchfield (ON) delivered already.
Ess K Customs (SK) shipped, expected Thursday.

Better late than never, finally I took the time to install the new Alpine UTE-73BT into the Saturn. Only hiccups, my only one 5.5mm drive socket still stuck into the bottom hole of the top cover on steering column, well...

« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 06:52:35 pm by me_2 »
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #16567 on: August 14, 2022, 07:41:03 pm »
 nice install.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16568 on: August 17, 2022, 10:10:21 am »
So my co-worker bought the CR-V, took delivery of it on Monday.  When I took her to the dealership on Friday to introduce her to Charles the salesguy, I stepped back and let him do his thing, so I stepped into the manager's office and just shot the sh!t with him for a little bit.  I mentioned how I was planning on taking my car to Rust Check or Krown to get sprayed, and asked for his input.  He mentioned that they have an account at Rust Check, and take some of their vehicles there. 

Anyway, fast forward to last night, and I get a call from Charles at The Car Store.  To thank me for sending an easy customer their way, they're going to cover my Rust Check application for this year, just to tell the store to bill it to their account.  So that's kind of a nice little bonus, and a nice phone call to get, too.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #16569 on: August 17, 2022, 10:16:40 am »
That's a good businessman right there

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #16570 on: August 17, 2022, 10:22:39 am »
This is the time honoured drug pusher model.  The dealer gave you a complimentary bag since you introduced a new victim customer to them.   ;D Yes the guy is smart.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #16571 on: August 17, 2022, 10:23:15 am »
That's a good businessman right there

:iagree:
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #16572 on: August 17, 2022, 10:33:32 am »
So my co-worker bought the CR-V, took delivery of it on Monday.  When I took her to the dealership on Friday to introduce her to Charles the salesguy, I stepped back and let him do his thing, so I stepped into the manager's office and just shot the sh!t with him for a little bit.  I mentioned how I was planning on taking my car to Rust Check or Krown to get sprayed, and asked for his input.  He mentioned that they have an account at Rust Check, and take some of their vehicles there. 

Anyway, fast forward to last night, and I get a call from Charles at The Car Store.  To thank me for sending an easy customer their way, they're going to cover my Rust Check application for this year, just to tell the store to bill it to their account.  So that's kind of a nice little bonus, and a nice phone call to get, too.
That's really nice.  I have had somewhat similar things happen over the years, typically a cheque in the mail or a gift card, but it would make sense that they give you something they know you were already going to get.  It feels more personal and they likely get a decent discount from them, plus for rust check they get a new customer.  So it's a win the whole way around.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16573 on: August 17, 2022, 10:38:57 am »

That's really nice.  I have had somewhat similar things happen over the years, typically a cheque in the mail or a gift card, but it would make sense that they give you something they know you were already going to get.  It feels more personal and they likely get a decent discount from them, plus for rust check they get a new customer.  So it's a win the whole way around.

Yeah, it feels more special getting a Rust Check treatment paid for than a $150 cheque in the mail.  Tells me they listen and actually thought for a minute about what to do. 

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16574 on: August 17, 2022, 10:43:07 am »

Yeah, it feels more special getting a Rust Check treatment paid for than a $150 cheque in the mail.  Tells me they listen and actually thought for a minute about what to do.

Is $150 the cost of a treatment?

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16575 on: August 17, 2022, 10:43:45 am »

Is $150 the cost of a treatment?

Approximately, yeah.  Varies from $140 - $160 depending on the vehicle. 

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16576 on: August 17, 2022, 10:45:57 am »
This was the brilliance of his gesture. To you it was worth $150. To him maybe $75... Win/win.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #16577 on: August 17, 2022, 08:39:23 pm »
So the CRV buyer ends up with a turkey and the fixer gets a free Rust Check.  I'd love to know exactly the numbers on her deal.  Probably got really slammed.  ::)

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #16578 on: August 17, 2022, 10:48:14 pm »
Looking at my car ownership cost spreadsheet:

Total repair and maintenance cost for the BMW since 2015: $13k
MX-5 since May 2022: $1k

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #16579 on: August 17, 2022, 11:08:38 pm »
Did engine oil and rear diff oil on the MDX last night. Straightforward as usual. Oil life monitor was at 10%. Looked at the km’s since last change and it was 15k ago. The norm is 12k. This is likely due to the 3000km we put on going to BC and back.

To note, the rear diff oil came out looking just like the new stuff going in.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.