Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3008589 times)

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #16500 on: July 03, 2022, 09:52:10 am »
Did a clean of the very grungy film on the inside of my windshield. I found a Youtube video that suggested a 3 step process. Number1 was rub vigorously with a dry microfiber cloth ....2. scrub with a wet Mr Clean Magic Eraser and then wipe dry with a fresh micro cloth.  3. clean with glass cleaner as normal (I used Invisible Glass and a 3rd fresh clean cloth)
Seemed to do a decent job.

Edit   They do warn you to cover your dash with a good layer of newspaper or plastic bags.....I guess drips from whatever cleaner is in the eraser might stain or bleach the plastic
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 11:20:14 am by sailor723 »
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #16501 on: July 03, 2022, 10:16:56 am »
Took Mrs. Hire's M5 for a longer run after a long while. Had a few misc. errands to run and then we went for a boot through the countryside. Car pulls like a freight train - absolutely delightful. Now sporting period-correct 1999-2000 era license plates, too...

Such a beauty, IMHO one off their nicest sedan design line & period if compare to now, not much  :-X
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #16502 on: July 03, 2022, 01:46:42 pm »
It's been downhill ever since for BMW. Nice sled.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #16503 on: July 13, 2022, 04:35:08 pm »
So what started off on last Friday as a routine engine bay cleanup and cosmetic work on the BMW, turned out to days long (still ongoing) saga with two cooling hoses broken and one strut mount stud snapped... At least the engine bay is clean now ...
Picking up a new hose now and hopefully will be able to install it tonight without anything else breaking in the process..... The beauty of working on old cars....

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #16504 on: July 13, 2022, 04:43:24 pm »
Took Mrs. Hire's M5 for a longer run after a long while. Had a few misc. errands to run and then we went for a boot through the countryside. Car pulls like a freight train - absolutely delightful. Now sporting period-correct 1999-2000 era license plates, too...

Man what a beautiful car, like they haven't made anything close to it for ages.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #16505 on: July 13, 2022, 05:54:48 pm »
So what started off on last Friday as a routine engine bay cleanup and cosmetic work on the BMW, turned out to days long (still ongoing) saga with two cooling hoses broken and one strut mount stud snapped... At least the engine bay is clean now ...
Picking up a new hose now and hopefully will be able to install it tonight without anything else breaking in the process..... The beauty of working on old cars....

Seems like every time you touch that car, it costs hundreds!   :rofl: :rofl2:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #16506 on: July 13, 2022, 06:39:51 pm »
Washed it & used Iron-X to get all the rail dust off as well. This thing is a huge pain to wash, no wonder I don't do it often :rofl:

Parked in front of the neighbors place to avoid the sap from the :censor: tree in front of my house! If it wasn't a City tree I'd be chopping the :censor: down, such a pain in the ass all summer spraying our cars with a mist of sap everyday.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Online HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #16507 on: July 13, 2022, 06:55:40 pm »
^^ It’s probably aphid poo, not sap. The GTI is covered in it as well.  :P

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16508 on: July 13, 2022, 06:59:36 pm »
Washed it & used Iron-X to get all the rail dust off as well. This thing is a huge pain to wash, no wonder I don't do it often :rofl:

Parked in front of the neighbors place to avoid the sap from the :censor: tree in front of my house! If it wasn't a City tree I'd be chopping the :censor: down, such a pain in the ass all summer spraying our cars with a mist of sap everyday.

Put a nice topper spray on between washes to make washing easier.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #16509 on: July 13, 2022, 08:33:23 pm »
^^ It’s probably aphid poo, not sap. The GTI is covered in it as well.  :P

Yep, filtering out the protein and letting the water and sugars go

Maybe try hosing the tree down to shift them

https://blog.davey.com/2018/08/how-to-get-rid-of-treat-aphid-infestations-in-large-tall-trees/

Tougher job if it's scale insects

https://www.elitetreecare.com/library/tree-pests/tree-scale/

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16510 on: July 13, 2022, 09:17:25 pm »

I have the Opticoat-Plus ceramic coating, so usually it's a foam cannon wash for it :rofl:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16511 on: July 13, 2022, 09:18:59 pm »

I have the Opticoat-Plus ceramic coating, so usually it's a foam cannon wash for it :rofl:

I'd still have a hydrophobic topper on it...  spray on, wipe off.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #16512 on: July 13, 2022, 11:28:37 pm »

Seems like every time you touch that car, it costs hundreds!   :rofl: :rofl2:

Ha...ha... I knew you are going to say something like that.  ;)

Well, hoses are not expensive, but it was the inconvenience of breaking without having the spare on hand. The strut mount will be expensive labor wise as I have to take it to the shop (parts are not that expensive).

On a 12 yo and 190K km car you would expect some cooling hoses to be cooked and plastic parts to be brittle. The hoses were original so they actually lasted quite a bit if you ask me.
When I come back from vacation I will preemptively replace the radiator (still original) and shortly after will do the water pump, thermostat and all cooling hoses. Then, I only have the starter to replace before winter (parts are cheap again but labor will be expensive).

Thing is I got the car for the price I got it for, with the mind set to refresh it end-to-end over time as I plan to keep it for the long run, so it doesn't bother me much.

The only thing is that the timing was bad as I go on vacation for few weeks in few days and I need to drive the car to my friend's house....and I have other things to take care before.

Anyway, I put the hoses in tonight and while I had to struggle to remove the radiator side of the upper hose, the front end is back together. The moment of truth will be tomorrow when I put everything else back, refill the coolant and bleed the system. Hopefully no leaks....

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16513 on: July 14, 2022, 07:27:07 am »
^^ It’s probably aphid poo, not sap. The GTI is covered in it as well.  [emoji14]

Yep, filtering out the protein and letting the water and sugars go

Maybe try hosing the tree down to shift them

https://blog.davey.com/2018/08/how-to-get-rid-of-treat-aphid-infestations-in-large-tall-trees/

Tougher job if it's scale insects

https://www.elitetreecare.com/library/tree-pests/tree-scale/
Yeah, I've gotta try to hose the tree down & maybe prune the branches a bit.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16514 on: July 18, 2022, 11:52:02 pm »
Not me...but a co-worker changed his lady friend's cabin filter from a 2017 Spark.

Yuck!!

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #16515 on: July 19, 2022, 07:35:17 am »
Not me...but a co-worker changed his lady friend's cabin filter from a 2017 Spark.

Yuck!!

Prior to the adoption of the cabin air filter, did all that crap just fly into the cabin from the vents?  I don't remember ever seeing random debris flying into the cabin back when I was a kid.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #16516 on: July 19, 2022, 07:51:18 am »
I'd say so.

It probably took a few years for the filter to get like that. So it's not like you'd notice.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #16517 on: July 19, 2022, 08:04:35 am »

Yuck!!

Prior to the adoption of the cabin air filter, did all that crap just fly into the cabin from the vents?  I don't remember ever seeing random debris flying into the cabin back when I was a kid.

I've owned a few vehicles that were pre-cabin filters - a '97 Dodge Ram, and a 2001 Hyundai Accent.  I worked in dusty locations at the time, and yes, when I'd start the car, a cloud of dust would shoot out of the vents into the cabin, from where the dust had settled on the HVAC intake vent at the base of the windshield.  I think the bigger stuff would probably get trapped by the blend doors, or in the nooks/crannies of the ducting. 

Cabin filters are a massive boon when it comes to keeping the interior of your car spic and span, not to mention just general air quality. 

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #16518 on: July 20, 2022, 08:26:14 am »
Picked up the truck last Friday just in time to go camping.  Almost 7 months after the accident and 2 weeks in the shop - it now has a new front left fender (had some scratches only but when they went to fix it, it blew through and it was only $50 more for a new fender vs fixing the rust - so he got me a new fender  :cheers: :thumbup:), 2 doors, rocker and cab corner, new running board/step, and new pop out step (he found one, which he said was almost impossible, but they did)...new wheel coming soon. 

Thing looks sharp, they did a fantastic job.  Showed me the rocker they cut out that I just had replaced last year...yup...that's why (because?) I paid $750/side instead of $4500 (what this shop would've charged) for both...what a facking mess.  Get what you pay for, but as my son said, I can get it crappily done 3 more times for what I saved lol)  So passenger side probably looks like shi# if you'd crawl under the truck, probably.  Might have to coat it in - what?  Fluid film?  Suggestions?  Or get hit on the passenger side?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #16519 on: July 20, 2022, 10:43:48 am »
I would just side swipe something with the passenger side. Find something terrible, like a  Journey or a Leaf and have at 'er  ;D