Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3008553 times)

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #16480 on: June 26, 2022, 08:39:29 pm »
Put some kms on SW2 but it is a shame the A/C quit few years ago. In 2020 compressor failure/leak was diagnosed but a fix would exceed car value then, sure unless a 21 years old car price raise as the used market did lately... no, not really :P

Could always try a can RedTek with sealant if the issue is a leaky compressor. My T/A had a slightly leaking compressor, when I got it, so I charged it with RedTek and used at least one can of the sealant. AC blew cold after that for another 4-years until finally the compressor totally died and I swapped in a good used one I had (plus new dryer, orifice tube, etc).

I have been told the compressor being fried after the garage filed (and recovered it after test) the A/C with R134a for testing purpose. The oem one was discontinued and when I checked 2 years ago on RockAuto , the only model listed was unavailable and IIRC, price was closer to +/- $900 span. I'm surprise today there is more options, at lower price, from different 3rd party supplier. May I would reconsider giving up.

Seen one of these the other day. Still no rust  :D

Not visible at least. Polymer body panels rock  ;) but, I entirely sprayed mine underbody with Fluid Film
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 08:42:33 pm by me_2 »
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #16481 on: June 26, 2022, 09:41:35 pm »
W/o a baby how much trash should one make to require a car trash can?  [emoji14]

More of an aesthetic thing for me.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #16482 on: June 26, 2022, 10:02:58 pm »
W/o a baby how much trash should one make to require a car trash can?  [emoji14]

Yeah, I don't really get it...On the rare occasion that I make garbage in the car it's like a cup or something....I leave it in the cupholder until I get to my destination and toss it out right away.
In the Slade, which does all the kid hauling, we have a roll of doggie bags...but rarely used, only really for tailgate diaper changes or situations like that.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #16483 on: June 27, 2022, 12:14:25 am »

Yeah, I don't really get it...On the rare occasion that I make garbage in the car it's like a cup or something....I leave it in the cupholder until I get to my destination and toss it out right away.
In the Slade, which does all the kid hauling, we have a roll of doggie bags...but rarely used, only really for tailgate diaper changes or situations like that.
Well IQ has allergies and uses a tissue now and again.

Definitely not leaving that in a cup holder for any amount of time! LOL

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #16484 on: June 27, 2022, 11:18:52 am »
Put some kms on SW2 but it is a shame the A/C quit few years ago. In 2020 compressor failure/leak was diagnosed but a fix would exceed car value then, sure unless a 21 years old car price raise as the used market did lately... no, not really :P

Seen one of these the other day. Still no rust  :D

I still have my childhood Snow-Jet wood toboggan too!  :cheers:
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #16485 on: June 27, 2022, 11:21:28 am »

Could always try a can RedTek with sealant if the issue is a leaky compressor. My T/A had a slightly leaking compressor, when I got it, so I charged it with RedTek and used at least one can of the sealant. AC blew cold after that for another 4-years until finally the compressor totally died and I swapped in a good used one I had (plus new dryer, orifice tube, etc).

No a/c in the Audi... Hoping for such a cheap fix with my indie but of course it may be some obscure $1973.42 fgc part...

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #16486 on: June 27, 2022, 11:45:13 am »

No a/c in the Audi... Hoping for such a cheap fix with my indie but of course it may be some obscure $1973.42 fgc part...

This is the 2017 A3 e-tron that doesn't have AC?  WTF?  It's practically a new car...

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #16487 on: June 27, 2022, 11:45:42 am »

I have been told the compressor being fried after the garage filed (and recovered it after test) the A/C with R134a for testing purpose. The oem one was discontinued and when I checked 2 years ago on RockAuto , the only model listed was unavailable and IIRC, price was closer to +/- $900 span. I'm surprise today there is more options, at lower price, from different 3rd party supplier. May I would reconsider giving up.

Might want to look on Ebay. They've got used ones for $200 and new ones for $400

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/313388717862?epid=16043830713&hash=item48f76c5726:g:ftcAAOSwSN9gCHp5&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAABAF84wzvNCrV3VE3NSDZ2QWjuzFcSfHOd%2B9Gqim3MBUyrxkwButpmEDni747Lxx9QRMWnKcp%2F3GJUTPPI3tfCNnqKXdZMyptfJpezQ5x3p3bG2aH7d8VtnwtvFjC3t7fNtIvgaFvZ72r5YMBT4y0VUUWU5NyHDVqwlIkwAQwd1rhPXhjq%2FO9JFdl7H1%2ByT4puRGvlQ8d6%2B6ftxsjWX8tiGa%2F%2FhfHrYRW9mboG2UZ9t3vNfY5CuLtuCbFyayHkWjbhIYb7N%2Boi3u96U6uG6NuzzJYwECaUT228Iz8jvwuAnTw3ewF4cJOOjrCxn5yrf1VG0sXOjzoUwwlXSBcggCvaJdE%3D%7Ctkp%3ABFBMnP6a3bRg

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16488 on: June 27, 2022, 11:56:09 am »

This is the 2017 A3 e-tron that doesn't have AC?  WTF?  It's practically a new car...

5 y.o. next month and just crested 31,000 km. CEL came on early last week, and when the heatwave struck I noticed there's no a/c (HVAC works, but no cold air being put out). Then yesterday the trip computer (with odometer and everything) went blank. Stayed blank after shutting off / re-starting the car. Later at night it came back on, all the info is intact. From the one forum dedicated to this rare car, multiple systems not working may be a sign of the 12V battery going bad. That's a $1k job at the dealer. NAPA has a battery for $250. Will try to get the code read by my indy this week!

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #16489 on: June 27, 2022, 12:02:46 pm »
Can you get at the battery to do a quick load test? That would tell you a lot

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #16490 on: June 27, 2022, 12:09:59 pm »

5 y.o. next month and just crested 31,000 km. CEL came on early last week, and when the heatwave struck I noticed there's no a/c (HVAC works, but no cold air being put out). Then yesterday the trip computer (with odometer and everything) went blank. Stayed blank after shutting off / re-starting the car. Later at night it came back on, all the info is intact. From the one forum dedicated to this rare car, multiple systems not working may be a sign of the 12V battery going bad. That's a $1k job at the dealer. NAPA has a battery for $250. Will try to get the code read by my indy this week!

Yeah, that sounds like it's likely an electronic issue (battery) than an AC system problem, hopefully.
In either case, my advice to use RedTek/Sealant I'd be comfortable on an 20 year old Saturn, or my 35 year old T/A...I would not use that advice on a 5 year old Audi.

My AC in the DTS was acting weird a couple weeks ago...blowing ICE cold (literally) to a point where the evaporator would freeze over and block the air flow. In a 'modern' system, with a strange issue like that, I wasn't going to waste my time playing with it without the right equipment. Took it to The Hire's shop, once on the proper machine it was simply a low feon situation (I guess after 15 years that's fair), they topped it up to the correct pressure and it's been good since.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16491 on: June 27, 2022, 01:17:00 pm »

Accessing the battery requires removing the trunk floor then unbolting the trapdoor that hides the battery (it's sitting under the left rear of the car next to the gas tank). There are terminals under the hood up front but this ain't a '75 TR6 - I'll let pros test the battery. Besides, I only have a NOCO 1 maintainer at hand. Replacing the 12V battery requires some programming too and I don't have the tools for that either  :P

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16492 on: June 27, 2022, 09:09:40 pm »

Accessing the battery requires removing the trunk floor then unbolting the trapdoor that hides the battery (it's sitting under the left rear of the car next to the gas tank). There are terminals under the hood up front but this ain't a '75 TR6 - I'll let pros test the battery. Besides, I only have a NOCO 1 maintainer at hand. Replacing the 12V battery requires some programming too and I don't have the tools for that either  :P

Poking around forums, Audi's a/c pressure sensors seem to be bad right from the plant, and they do trigger a CEL when they go bad. Doesn't explain the temporary blank screen though... I've never had a trip computer go blank in press vehicles, but infotainment crashes are frequent with Honda and Toyota, of all brands. Once I had one go totally blank on an FCA vehicle, but a "reboot" (stop, start) and all was fine.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #16493 on: June 27, 2022, 10:14:48 pm »

Poking around forums, Audi's a/c pressure sensors seem to be bad right from the plant, and they do trigger a CEL when they go bad. Doesn't explain the temporary blank screen though... I've never had a trip computer go blank in press vehicles, but infotainment crashes are frequent with Honda and Toyota, of all brands. Once I had one go totally blank on an FCA vehicle, but a "reboot" (stop, start) and all was fine.

So what's the check engine code?
Mr Pickypants

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #16494 on: June 28, 2022, 12:41:44 pm »
Just finished putting the new registration sticker on. The stack of stickers in the corner of the plate is getting pretty thick.  :-\
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #16495 on: June 28, 2022, 01:13:02 pm »
Just finished putting the new registration sticker on. The stack of stickers in the corner of the plate is getting pretty thick.  :-\

I am surprised they are still using stickers. Maybe this year they will move on and that stack will be static.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16496 on: June 28, 2022, 08:49:56 pm »

So what's the check engine code?

No idea - don't have a reader. Booked the indy for July 19th for the CEL, the a/c (he thinks both are related), brake service and an oil change. Her last service under my watch, won't be at the dealer.

Edit - this is the shop: https://www.facebook.com/Rive-sud-euro-atelier-de-m%C3%A9canique-226509510758182/

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #16497 on: July 02, 2022, 07:21:55 pm »
Finally bought some normal rims and changed them.
Into what?
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #16498 on: July 02, 2022, 09:45:00 pm »
Did the rear pads and rotors on the 'Slade. I did all four corners when we got it in spring 2016, 7 years and 60K later, I'd say they did pretty good, and I probably could've squeezed another 5-10K out of them if I really wanted to. The braking on these trucks is very rear bias to prevent nose dive so the rears wear at a much faster rate than the fronts...Looked at the front today, still 70%+ left on them.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #16499 on: July 02, 2022, 10:27:50 pm »
Took Mrs. Hire's M5 for a longer run after a long while. Had a few misc. errands to run and then we went for a boot through the countryside. Car pulls like a freight train - absolutely delightful. Now sporting period-correct 1999-2000 era license plates, too...

Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks