Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3007495 times)

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #16280 on: April 27, 2022, 01:54:34 pm »
Changed the cabin filters in all three daily drivers - there's a YouTube video for eveything! 2014 Accent's had probably never been done in the car's life (see pic  :P), 2012 Ody was the cleanest but swapped anyway. Audi, despite the megabuck services, was apparently never done by the dealership (and they never offered to do it either...).
You should be spanked for not checking/replacing the filters as soon as you got the car. You know average Joe doesn't know they exist or need replacement :).

I do mine every 1-2 years upon checking condition. I only use Mann filters and for cabin I use the expensive line (personal preference).

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #16281 on: April 27, 2022, 02:05:51 pm »
Changed the cabin filters in all three daily drivers - there's a YouTube video for eveything! 2014 Accent's had probably never been done in the car's life (see pic  :P), 2012 Ody was the cleanest but swapped anyway. Audi, despite the megabuck services, was apparently never done by the dealership (and they never offered to do it either...).
You should be spanked for not checking/replacing the filters as soon as you got the car. You know average Joe doesn't know they exist or need replacement :).

I do mine every 1-2 years upon checking condition. I only use Mann filters and for cabin I use the expensive line (personal preference).

Yeah, I know. Daughter bought the Accent in April 2019, about 5,000 km has been added since then. The Audi's was pretty filthy too. CTC cabin filters for the Hyundai and Honda, Nappa home brand for the Audi and a Mann for the 1.4t. Odyssey's and Accent's engine filters were swapped in the fall, still look new.

Also had to replace the Audi's rear wiper blade. Its bracket was broken as the thick wet snow from last week fell off the roof. A Nappa Exact Fit was ... an exact fit.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16282 on: April 27, 2022, 02:13:20 pm »

Yeah, I know. Daughter bought the Accent in April 2019, about 5,000 km has been added since then. The Audi's was pretty filthy too. CTC cabin filters for the Hyundai and Honda, Nappa home brand for the Audi and a Mann for the 1.4t. Odyssey's and Accent's engine filters were swapped in the fall, still look new.

Also had to replace the Audi's rear wiper blade. Its bracket was broken as the thick wet snow from last week fell off the roof. A Nappa Exact Fit was ... an exact fit.

Replaced twice the rear wiper blade on the GTI with expensive, yet cheap OEM crappy blade. Each lasted less than a year before staring to squeak ... Got the Bosh replacement and still good for about 2 years now.
Don't waste your money on VW/Audi OEM crappy blades ever.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #16283 on: April 27, 2022, 02:52:25 pm »

Replaced twice the rear wiper blade on the GTI with expensive, yet cheap OEM crappy blade. Each lasted less than a year before staring to squeak ... Got the Bosh replacement and still good for about 2 years now.

The broken one was an oem replacement and it was so noisy I barely used it. Wanted the Bosch but it was out of stock, and driving with a sock over the wiper arm got old fast ;D (the Audi self-wipes in reverse if it rains on some continent). Napa part is silent and efficient.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #16284 on: April 27, 2022, 03:38:42 pm »

I love the front OE blades for my GTI. They’re not that expensive, and totally worth it IMO. Dunno about the rear one, I think I’ve replaced it twice in 12 years? Don’t care so much about that one, so it gets whatever from Cdn Tire.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #16285 on: April 27, 2022, 03:47:26 pm »
I've had good luck with Bosch blades lately...The ones on the Escalade are at least 3 years old, and outside all the time, still work great. Before that I was a big fan of the Trico Force blades.

I am suppose to be getting a bunch of new Trico blades tomorrow to test out.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #16286 on: April 27, 2022, 04:42:17 pm »
I've had good luck with Bosch blades lately...The ones on the Escalade are at least 3 years old, and outside all the time, still work great. Before that I was a big fan of the Trico Force blades.

Motormaster does do it for you  ???  ;D

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #16287 on: April 27, 2022, 04:59:14 pm »

I'm supposing your name change means you're now retired?  If so, congratulations. 

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #16288 on: April 27, 2022, 05:15:55 pm »

MotoMaster* is fine with me.....I just haven't paid for blades since I started working here in 2010, we're always looking for the next greatest blade, so always testing new stuff.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16289 on: April 28, 2022, 07:33:11 am »

MotoMaster* is fine with me.....I just haven't paid for blades since I started working here in 2010, we're always looking for the next greatest blade, so always testing new stuff.

I bought Bosch Icon for both BMW and GTI last fall. They've been good over the winter.
I think I'll stick with them. Did you try them?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #16290 on: April 28, 2022, 08:04:40 am »

I'm supposing your name change means you're now retired?  If so, congratulations.
Liability insurance is up at the end of the month and decided not to renew it

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #16291 on: April 28, 2022, 08:08:53 am »

Congrats on retirement.    Good time of year to pack it in.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #16292 on: April 28, 2022, 09:27:46 am »

I bought Bosch Icon for both BMW and GTI last fall. They've been good over the winter.
I think I'll stick with them. Did you try them?

Yeah, Bosch Icon is what I have on a bunch of the vehicles right now....Escalade being the toughest test as they're outside in the sun all the time, still fine at 3 years old!

I have those cheap Michelin 'hybrid' blades on the DTS....garbage. They wipe alright, but very noisy. They'll be coming off today.

SLK has OE Mercedes blades (complete with nice little white painted MB logos), but the rubber is long expired. OE blades on a 20 year old car is pretty cool IMO, so I am probably just to look for refills.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #16293 on: April 28, 2022, 09:29:26 am »

Congrats! Enjoy.

Offline Shorlaw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +17/-85
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Corvette GS, 2013XKR, 2018 Macan S
« Reply #16294 on: April 29, 2022, 01:25:48 pm »
Was excited, nice sunny day, insurance kicked in on the Vette so I go to take it out, completely dead!  Ctek was plugged in, but once I got my glasses realized I hadn’t set it  ::) .  How great that I checked that the light was on about a 100 times during the winter.  Am I better to let it do its thing now, or to boost off another vehicle? 

Online valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #16295 on: April 29, 2022, 02:35:08 pm »
Was excited, nice sunny day, insurance kicked in on the Vette so I go to take it out, completely dead!  Ctek was plugged in, but once I got my glasses realized I hadn’t set it  ::) .  How great that I checked that the light was on about a 100 times during the winter.  Am I better to let it do its thing now, or to boost off another vehicle?

I would plug it in and let it do its thing. 

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #16296 on: April 29, 2022, 02:37:37 pm »

I would plug it in and let it do its thing.

Yes, it's a bit hard on things to charge a totally dead battery after a boost, give it a few hours on the charger at least if you can

Offline Shorlaw

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16297 on: April 29, 2022, 04:03:08 pm »
Thanks!  I’ll leave it plugged in until tomorrow and see how it’s doing

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #16298 on: April 29, 2022, 04:16:26 pm »
Shouldn't take that long..but won't hurt anything.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Shorlaw

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16299 on: April 30, 2022, 02:47:17 pm »
Shouldn't take that long..but won't hurt anything.

Fired right up this morning, checked the tire pressures, got gas and went for a nice drive on some twisty back roads!  Hopefully will hit 10000 km’s before my warranty is up in a few months  ::)