Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3007282 times)

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #16180 on: April 09, 2022, 09:39:09 pm »

On the fence if I should do another alignment or not. I did one when I got the car and car tracks straight, no issue. Winters show even wear too.... But on the other hand I always did a wheel alignment when installing new tires...

If the car tracks straight, and it's even wear, you're wasting your money and I wouldn't do one. Didn't we do a four-wheel alignment in the fall? I remember that car driving straight as an arrow on my test loop.

Happy to check for you if it's still in spec if you want to roll by at some point.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #16181 on: April 09, 2022, 09:47:28 pm »

On the fence if I should do another alignment or not. I did one when I got the car and car tracks straight, no issue. Winters show even wear too.... But on the other hand I always did a wheel alignment when installing new tires...

If the car tracks straight, and it's even wear, you're wasting your money and I wouldn't do one. Didn't we do a four-wheel alignment in the fall? I remember that car driving straight as an arrow on my test loop.

Happy to check for you if it's still in spec if you want to roll by at some point.
Agreed
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #16182 on: April 09, 2022, 09:54:42 pm »
Tire swap on the BMW with new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ today.
Washed the winter wheels too before storing them.

Lots of brake dust on the fronts, to the point where they still look dirty inside even after washing them thoroughly. Day and night compared to the rears which are clean. All wheels were about the same in the fall.

Might need to consider getting different pads next time if I get there with the car. The current pads are Textar with about 9K km on them so long way to go.

AS3+ is an excellent tire. I had the AS3's and put on a new set of AS3+ last April. Excellent grip especially in the wet but they don't last very long.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #16183 on: April 09, 2022, 10:09:00 pm »
Tire swap on the BMW with new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ today.
Washed the winter wheels too before storing them.

Lots of brake dust on the fronts, to the point where they still look dirty inside even after washing them thoroughly. Day and night compared to the rears which are clean. All wheels were about the same in the fall.

Might need to consider getting different pads next time if I get there with the car. The current pads are Textar with about 9K km on them so long way to go.

AS3+ is an excellent tire. I had the AS3's and put on a new set of AS3+ last April. Excellent grip especially in the wet but they don't last very long.

Yup, excellent choice. I had them on my XKR and XJR, and really did like them. I need to try the new AS4 properly to see how they fare.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #16184 on: April 09, 2022, 10:14:34 pm »
I have the AS3+ as well on my XKR - no complaints at all, other than the wear, but for a seasonal car it's not a big deal...they'll age out before I wear them out most likely.

I agree on the alignment comments, if it was done recently and you're not picking up on any weird tracking, no need to worry about it.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #16185 on: April 09, 2022, 10:21:11 pm »

Yeah you did the alignment in the fall and it still  feels good. This is why I don't think I'll do it this time around. Thanks for the offer to check it... Has to be combined with something else to make the trip worth...

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16186 on: April 09, 2022, 10:30:41 pm »
I have A/S 4 on the GTI too so I'll see if I can sense any difference.
Something changed in the recent years with the longevity of Michelin tires?
I got some 100k-12Ok from my previous set summer+winter on the Outlander and 8-9 years.... Both still had tread when I got rid of them but the rubber started to show its age. Longevity is one thing I count on from Michelin.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #16187 on: April 09, 2022, 10:34:37 pm »
I think it's just the type of tire. The A/S3+ or the A/S4 are Ultra High Performance all-season tires, to achieve the levels of performance they're going for you have to use a softer compound that's going to have a much different wear rate than whatever standard Michelin all-season you would've had on the Outlander.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16188 on: April 09, 2022, 10:46:08 pm »
I think it's just the type of tire. The A/S3+ or the A/S4 are Ultra High Performance all-season tires, to achieve the levels of performance they're going for you have to use a softer compound that's going to have a much different wear rate than whatever standard Michelin all-season you would've had on the Outlander.

That's for sure but it's still an A/S tire not summer. I think they are warranted 70K? Now, I would not expect to last 70K, but still maybe 30-40K?

I had Michelin dedicated summer on a Focus and they were done after 3 summers. I was surprised they passed the lease return inspection .... Probably just at the limit - I think 4/32 ?! I would've replaced them the following summer for sure if I would've kept the car.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2022, 10:56:42 pm by Dante »

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #16189 on: April 10, 2022, 12:29:00 am »
Tire swap today.

My right side mirror is loose and flaps while driving. It appears the mirror adhesive is gone and is clinging on to whatever is left. Not sure if I can super glue it or replace the mirror assembly.
Glue it. Bella's 323i did the same thing, I think I just used some Gorilla glue & no issues again.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #16190 on: April 10, 2022, 10:14:51 am »
3M 5200 would be a good option too.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16191 on: April 10, 2022, 10:17:08 am »
Has anyone PPF'd your whole car? I've been considering it for the likes of the 911/Vantage/M5, but I recently learned just how expensive it is to do the whole car, because of the labor involved. My jalopies are all ceramic coated already, but just for that added protection...

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #16192 on: April 10, 2022, 10:17:33 am »
Tire swap today.

My right side mirror is loose and flaps while driving. It appears the mirror adhesive is gone and is clinging on to whatever is left. Not sure if I can super glue it or replace the mirror assembly.
Glue it. Bella's 323i did the same thing, I think I just used some Gorilla glue & no issues again.

Did you remove the glass and backing plate to do it, or take out the mirror glass only and stuck it back on?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #16193 on: April 10, 2022, 10:36:40 am »
Tire swap today.

Did you remove the glass and backing plate to do it, or take out the mirror glass only and stuck it back on?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
I didn't remove anything. Just pulled it back a little & added a couple dabs of glue to the bottom section of the mirror that was loose.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #16194 on: April 10, 2022, 11:01:19 am »
Has anyone PPF'd your whole car? I've been considering it for the likes of the 911/Vantage/M5, but I recently learned just how expensive it is to do the whole car, because of the labor involved. My jalopies are all ceramic coated already, but just for that added protection...

At that point it's basically a clear wrap. I've never been big on PPF, front bumper, sure, beyond that I am not a fan. The finish of PPF is never as nice as the car's actual paint, so why have beautiful paint if you're going to hide it under a film. I've seen a lot of Ferrari 360 / 430s with PPF from the windshield forward (I suspect a local dealer was really pushing it at one point), my first reaction is usually 'what's with the paintjob' until I realize it's PPF.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16195 on: April 10, 2022, 01:55:34 pm »

At that point it's basically a clear wrap. I've never been big on PPF, front bumper, sure, beyond that I am not a fan. The finish of PPF is never as nice as the car's actual paint, so why have beautiful paint if you're going to hide it under a film. I've seen a lot of Ferrari 360 / 430s with PPF from the windshield forward (I suspect a local dealer was really pushing it at one point), my first reaction is usually 'what's with the paintjob' until I realize it's PPF.
Yea, I don't like a whole wrap either.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16196 on: April 10, 2022, 02:46:31 pm »

Right, my thoughts exactly. I've had my sh*t properly detailed and ceramic coated so it gleams. I'll keep it that way.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16197 on: April 10, 2022, 02:52:04 pm »

Right, my thoughts exactly. I've had my sh*t properly detailed and ceramic coated so it gleams. I'll keep it that way.
Good call.

I like that the film provides protection.

I like blinding gleam better!

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #16198 on: April 10, 2022, 05:11:17 pm »

Agree completely.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #16199 on: April 10, 2022, 08:32:16 pm »
Finally wrapped up the renos inside and was able to get a couple hours of work in on the SLK. Polished the hazy yellowed headlights, removed the under hood insulation for future cleaning, and kicked off the paint correction by doing just the trunk lid (which was the worst area for scratches).

Quick shot of the finished trunk lid, note the untouched bumper for comparison. It takes time, but it's satisfying work...and a small car this time.