Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3006994 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #16040 on: February 01, 2022, 09:25:03 pm »
Took the Yukon to the dealer for driveline fluid changes and to get a couple of oil cooler lines replaced. They gave me a quote back in November for $1,900, so I took it to a local indie for a second quote and the indie was $100 higher. Anyway, today the dealer only charged me $1,650 - they had a line in the bill for a $250 discount. No explanation, but I'm happy to take it.

And while the Yukon was in the shop, I put that new water pump on the GTI. I'd planned on changing the coolant as well, but only 3L came out so I only put 3L new coolant back in. Oh well, good enough for now I guess.
Did you get a recall letter to replace the passenger airbag ?
I got one for my Chevy truck , I figured since your Yukon is 2011 it would be the same airbag

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #16041 on: February 01, 2022, 09:54:58 pm »
^^ Yeah, I’d almost forgot about that. Got the letter ages ago, but it said there were no replacement airbags available and I’d get another letter when they were.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16042 on: February 01, 2022, 10:01:06 pm »
^^ Yeah, I’d almost forgot about that. Got the letter ages ago, but it said there were no replacement airbags available and I’d get another letter when they were.
I just got the week about 2 weeks ago , I haven’t  phoned about it

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16043 on: February 01, 2022, 10:05:44 pm »
I just looked: letter is dated February 2021.

It says:”Parts to repair your vehicle are not currently available. We will notify you when we have an expected date for part availability for your vehicle. …”

Maybe they’re finally getting the parts? What does your letter say?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16044 on: February 04, 2022, 07:40:41 pm »
I just looked: letter is dated February 2021.

It says:”Parts to repair your vehicle are not currently available. We will notify you when we have an expected date for part availability for your vehicle. …”

Maybe they’re finally getting the parts? What does your letter say?
Dated Jan 2022

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16045 on: February 04, 2022, 08:59:21 pm »
^^ Yeah, I just got another letter this week. Seems like the replacement airbags are finally available.

Haven’t called the dealer to make an appointment yet, but guess I will. Would have been nice to get the letter last week so I could have had them do it with the other stuff. Kinda surprised they never mentioned it when they pulled up my VIN for the service too.

Offline devo20

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1986 Ford Camper, 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan
« Reply #16046 on: February 06, 2022, 02:18:55 pm »
Seems like airbag recalls are never going to end....

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #16047 on: February 06, 2022, 02:22:49 pm »

Are you trying to get to 10 magical posts so you can post a spam link?

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #16048 on: February 06, 2022, 02:41:25 pm »

Are you trying to get to 10 magical posts so you can post a spam link?

Are you trying to get to 25,000 so you can order a bumper sticker?  :P :D ;D
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline devo20

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1986 Ford Camper, 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan
« Reply #16049 on: February 06, 2022, 03:14:48 pm »
No I truly meant, when are the airbag recalls going to end. I am a technician and it seems after the Takata airbag recall was well under way and many vehicles repaired. There seems to be a ton of new airbag related recalls, flashes, replacements, etc..

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #16050 on: February 16, 2022, 12:01:57 am »
Did the engine oil, transmission oil, and transfer case oil on the MDX tonight. Maintenance is so easy on this unit; drain and fill. 3 hours start to finish including a test drive and cleanup.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16051 on: February 16, 2022, 12:20:03 am »
Did the engine oil, transmission oil, and transfer case oil on the MDX tonight. Maintenance is so easy on this unit; drain and fill. 3 hours start to finish including a test drive and cleanup.

Sealed tranny or with a dipstick?

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16052 on: February 16, 2022, 12:31:02 am »

Dipstick. MDX had the six speed Honda tranny until 2015. In 2016 they switched to the ZF 9 speed which is a sealed unit from my understanding. Funny, the manual for my ‘14 doesn’t mention the dipstick stating to take it in to check level and for changes.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16053 on: February 16, 2022, 07:07:04 am »

Dipstick. MDX had the six speed Honda tranny until 2015. In 2016 they switched to the ZF 9 speed which is a sealed unit from my understanding. Funny, the manual for my ‘14 doesn’t mention the dipstick stating to take it in to check level and for changes.
Ah, the good old days of transmission dipsticks  :)
I heard an opinion that mfg's have given up on dipsticks because ppl would over or under-fill the trannies and then claim issues while they were under warranty. So they went with sealed ones and "lifetime" fluid to avoid a human error, perhaps among both, DIYers and the service techs, as a good number of them couldn't follow the instructions. Now Youtube is full of "pros" showing how to drain, measure and refill, even though if one owns a service bay, the level set procedure is not all that complicated, you just gotta keep the fluid temp in mind...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #16054 on: February 16, 2022, 08:41:18 am »

I heard an opinion that mfg's have given up on dipsticks because ppl would over or under-fill the trannies and then claim issues while they were under warranty. So they went with sealed ones and "lifetime" fluid to avoid a human error, perhaps among both, DIYers and the service techs, as a good number of them couldn't follow the instructions. Now Youtube is full of "pros" showing how to drain, measure and refill, even though if one owns a service bay, the level set procedure is not all that complicated, you just gotta keep the fluid temp in mind...

Anyone else watching Harry's Garage with the Countach going to the shop? 30L of oil in the drivetrain!?!  :rofl2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgeg3181LnU

I never realised Iain Tyrell's workshop was just a few miles from where I used to live in the UK, would have loved to taken a tour.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #16055 on: February 16, 2022, 09:28:37 am »
^^ I am. Can't wait to see that engine out procedure.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #16056 on: February 16, 2022, 10:49:26 am »
No I truly meant, when are the airbag recalls going to end. I am a technician and it seems after the Takata airbag recall was well under way and many vehicles repaired. There seems to be a ton of new airbag related recalls, flashes, replacements, etc..

Maybe never. When I bought a 2006 Volvo V70R it had big stickers in the door jambs saying all airbags needed replacement at 8 years XXXkms. That would have been ridiculous considering front, curtain and side bags. There was a recall and the stickers were removed at the dealer on a service visit..  ;D

Volvo probably knew best practice.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16057 on: February 16, 2022, 12:23:53 pm »

Anyone else watching Harry's Garage with the Countach going to the shop? 30L of oil in the drivetrain!?!  :rofl2:

30L is a lot.  The MDX is about 13L if I were to do the rear end also.  I guess a bit more if a full transmission flush were done.  The Tundra would be less than 20L.  I'll have to watch the vids on the Countach.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16058 on: February 16, 2022, 12:34:06 pm »

30L is a lot.  The MDX is about 13L if I were to do the rear end also.  I guess a bit more if a full transmission flush were done.  The Tundra would be less than 20L.  I'll have to watch the vids on the Countach.

My Grand Am had the same noise in the reverse gear 8)
But it died of something else, 100,000 km later. If I knew back then what kind of maintenance was needed, it would likely make it to half a million clicks...

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #16059 on: February 16, 2022, 12:44:45 pm »

Ford is going the other way, putting fill plugs back into AWD PTU's to make fluid changes reasonably easy. Likely good news for Maverick buyers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNs7va19a-8