Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3006831 times)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #15940 on: January 17, 2022, 12:05:53 pm »
-13 yesterday and daughter's Accent barely cranked, so at -25 today I knew what to expect - not even a "gnuh". Showed the girl how to properly jump start a car with the help of the Odyssey, and drove the Hyundai inside the warm garage for a battery swap. Came out in seconds, looks like the original 2014 item. Costco's replacement was in stock, but a lot longer - nearly 2", so I left it there. What CTC had in stock was also a bit longer, but less so than Costco so we got that, and a new air filter. Vaccumed the air box, installed the air filter, bolted the new battery in - it barely fits - and reset the clock. No fgc drama here  :) The oem battery sleeve (isolation?) went to the parts box as it's too small for the replacement.

https://tires.costco.ca/Batteries/SearchResultsByVehicle?lang=en-ca&batteryType=Automotive&Year=2014&Make=Hyundai&Model=Accent&Engine=L4-1.6L-Gas~L4-1.6L-Gaz

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-group-size-47-h5-l2-battery-600-cca-0104700p.html

I hate that Costco retired the paper battery catalog and replaced it with a QR code that leads you to the same page you linked, and the same that I found. That $240 Energizer AGM battery (group 47 / H5), the only one that Costco lists for the Accent, was not in stock, but what I saw in store was a $120 Kirkland Signature H5 battery - that one does not come up for the car on Costco's website, hence my doubts that it would physically fit in the car.

The Energizer is indeed 242 mm. while the $183 Motomaster 650CCA we bought is 243 mm. The cheaper $167 600CCA was not in stock.

Original battery was much smaller, group 45, 330CCA only and it cranked fine until it entered its 8th year!

I see now. But how come the original battery is 45 when CTC and costco both show 47?  ???

« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 12:08:51 pm by EV Dan »
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #15941 on: January 17, 2022, 02:36:10 pm »
Had to dig it out  ;D

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #15942 on: January 17, 2022, 02:59:42 pm »
-13 yesterday and daughter's Accent barely cranked, so at -25 today I knew what to expect - not even a "gnuh". Showed the girl how to properly jump start a car with the help of the Odyssey, and drove the Hyundai inside the warm garage for a battery swap. Came out in seconds, looks like the original 2014 item. Costco's replacement was in stock, but a lot longer - nearly 2", so I left it there. What CTC had in stock was also a bit longer, but less so than Costco so we got that, and a new air filter. Vaccumed the air box, installed the air filter, bolted the new battery in - it barely fits - and reset the clock. No fgc drama here  :) The oem battery sleeve (isolation?) went to the parts box as it's too small for the replacement.

https://tires.costco.ca/Batteries/SearchResultsByVehicle?lang=en-ca&batteryType=Automotive&Year=2014&Make=Hyundai&Model=Accent&Engine=L4-1.6L-Gas~L4-1.6L-Gaz

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-group-size-47-h5-l2-battery-600-cca-0104700p.html

I hate that Costco retired the paper battery catalog and replaced it with a QR code that leads you to the same page you linked, and the same that I found. That $240 Energizer AGM battery (group 47 / H5), the only one that Costco lists for the Accent, was not in stock, but what I saw in store was a $120 Kirkland Signature H5 battery - that one does not come up for the car on Costco's website, hence my doubts that it would physically fit in the car.

The Energizer is indeed 242 mm. while the $183 Motomaster 650CCA we bought is 243 mm. The cheaper $167 600CCA was not in stock.

Original battery was much smaller, group 45, 330CCA only and it cranked fine until it entered its 8th year!

I see now. But how come the original battery is 45 when CTC and costco both show 47?  ???

Battery group size listings are always messy for the Korean brands. Years ago, when I was looking after the battery business we had lots of inconsistencies with Hyundai and Kia listings. I think it was a combination of the fact that Korea doesn't use the same group sizing (BCI) that we do here, Hyundai/Kia did not subscribe and report fitments based on the standard BCI group sizes, and Hyundai/Kia were not always consistent with the size of battery installed in a given YMM. So you might find two otherwise identical Hyundai but with slightly different size factory batteries.
That may or may not hold true for vehicles rolling off Hyundai/Kia lines today as that was ~10 years ago.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #15943 on: January 17, 2022, 03:04:30 pm »

Battery group size listings are always messy for the Korean brands. Years ago, when I was looking after the battery business we had lots of inconsistencies with Hyundai and Kia listings. I think it was a combination of the fact that Korea doesn't use the same group sizing (BCI) that we do here, Hyundai/Kia did not subscribe and report fitments based on the standard BCI group sizes, and Hyundai/Kia were not always consistent with the size of battery installed in a given YMM. So you might find two otherwise identical Hyundai but with slightly different size factory batteries.
That may or may not hold true for vehicles rolling off Hyundai/Kia lines today as that was ~10 years ago.

Back in college I had a 1986 Celica GT for summer and a 1982 Mazda GLC for winter - they shared the same Motomaster Eliminator - same, as in swap the battery from one car to the other when I swapped cars  ;D
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #15944 on: January 17, 2022, 04:34:10 pm »

It happens. My Genesis had an option of normal (hydraulic) power steering which I was happy to have and an energy saving (designed by bosch?) electro-hydraulic power steering, FOR THE SAME MODEL YEAR  :o  The latter one was powered by an electric motor instead of a serpentine belt.
A much older Tucson V6 for a given model year (1st gen) uses two different suppliers for a HVAC system, and obviously the cabin filters are different as a result.

Having said that, I've had a lot more "fun" trying to find correct parts for Fords and Mazdas. It's a total mess because the same model can be assembled in different countries who would use different part bins. At least in case of Koreans a part number is always there on an original part.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #15945 on: January 17, 2022, 05:08:00 pm »

It happens. My Genesis had an option of normal (hydraulic) power steering which I was happy to have and an energy saving (designed by bosch?) electro-hydraulic power steering, FOR THE SAME MODEL YEAR  :o  The latter one was powered by an electric motor instead of a serpentine belt.
A much older Tucson V6 for a given model year (1st gen) uses two different suppliers for a HVAC system, and obviously the cabin filters are different as a result.

Having said that, I've had a lot more "fun" trying to find correct parts for Fords and Mazdas. It's a total mess because the same model can be assembled in different countries who would use different part bins. At least in case of Koreans a part number is always there on an original part.

As a student, I had the rear drums refreshed on a Renault Alliance beater. Mechanic told me it was a combination of AMC, Ford and Chrysler parts. Poor old AMC, scraping the shop floors to survive!

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #15946 on: January 17, 2022, 05:21:31 pm »
Had to dig it out  ;D

Wow, you guys got dumped on for sure!  :o

I'd rather that than the heavy wet :censor: we got here today.  Was just like wet cement in the blower and I got soaked clearing the driveway even while wearing a rain suit. 

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #15947 on: January 17, 2022, 06:41:40 pm »
Had to dig it out  ;D

Wow, you guys got dumped on for sure!  :o

I'd rather that than the heavy wet :censor: we got here today.  Was just like wet cement in the blower and I got soaked clearing the driveway even while wearing a rain suit.

Yes, definitely better than the heavy wet stuff, but then the city plow dump is just as bad. Good thing my neighbour lent me his snowblower for that one. Cleaned up a couple other neighbours' withrows too.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #15948 on: January 18, 2022, 09:15:35 am »
Figured I should share a pic of the new cruise install.   ;D All that work and didn't share any photos?  Most threads are useless without photos!  Right?

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #15949 on: January 18, 2022, 09:20:12 am »
Looks factory, nice job! Can't imagine there are many newer cars today that don't have cruise...Even in my ancient fleet the MGB, Morgan and 84 Camaro are the only ones without it

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #15950 on: January 18, 2022, 09:54:13 am »
Figured I should share a pic of the new cruise install.   ;D All that work and didn't share any photos?  Most threads are useless without photos!  Right?

Who drives the Sonic anyway?
Mr Pickypants

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #15951 on: January 18, 2022, 10:55:20 am »
Hmmm...no one?  Kid would be taking it to Wpg if he was back in the dorm...but that got cancelled (I thought it'd be nice - so I ordered it and then they cancelled school again)
But I like to drive the facking car too, and I take the dog for grooming in Wpg when it's time, and I want it for ME!  ;D  And, since my wife hates the Fusion so much, I figure this could also work for going to Wpg Costco runs if it's not hot outside (no AC  :() - and now I can set it and forget it!  I've waited 9 yrs for this...figured it's time lol.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #15952 on: January 18, 2022, 06:46:06 pm »
Nice work!  :thumbup:  Not having cruise for those long straight highways you have there would really suck! 

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #15953 on: January 19, 2022, 08:34:15 pm »
Ya, nice work.  But in the old'n days we just used a golf putter.  Power seat was helpful.  :)

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #15954 on: January 19, 2022, 08:42:27 pm »

Great add-on !
The stalk looks very same as the one installed by the Toyota dealer into my 2005 Echo HB LE
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #15955 on: January 20, 2022, 08:09:58 am »
^^ Yup very similar in shape but the stalk doesn't move to activate functions. The buttons do the activating.
Toyota used the same stalk for years on most of their cars.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15956 on: January 20, 2022, 08:44:02 am »
Topped-up the tank in the Audi for the first time this year, and the 3rd time in one entire year, with 4,000 km added to the odo. According to my Excel chart, I spent $81 in electricity to fill it up in 2021.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #15957 on: January 20, 2022, 02:04:42 pm »
New alternator, battery and blow by heater (the part that went up in smoke a month ago) installed on the BMW. All electrical bits now work as they should from the get go, even in the cold weather that we had this morning.

Tonight I'm planning to replace the low/high beam HID bulbs (one side is burnt but will replace both sides).

Shopping for a power steering pump (OE equivalent) but it looks like BMW switched the supplier some time ago from Luk to S-Tec (a Magna company in Austria which makes some other parts for BMW and other Euro cars) and the supply is nil in both US and Canada (online distributors for BMW parts that I usually check). Luk definitely shows the part as discontinued.

There are some other cheaper alternatives by a company named AAE that everyone sells but I would like to go with the "original" even if it's more expensive.
BMW OEM is out of question though as they ask around $1000 for it....

I'm wondering if anyone has direct access to WorldPAC Canada to check if they have any stock left and eventually a price (I have P/Ns for both Luk and S-Tec)?

« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 02:10:19 pm by Dante »

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #15958 on: January 20, 2022, 02:15:14 pm »
Man, as nice as that BMW is (and it really is) it is sure making a case for just getting a Camry.  Glad you're getting it sorted though.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #15959 on: January 20, 2022, 02:23:56 pm »
New alternator, battery and blow by heater (the part that went up in smoke a month ago) installed on the BMW. All electrical bits now work as they should from the get go, even in the cold weather that we had this morning.

Tonight I'm planning to replace the low/high beam HID bulbs (one side is burnt but will replace both sides).

Shopping for a power steering pump (OE equivalent) but it looks like BMW switched the supplier some time ago from Luk to S-Tec (a Magna company in Austria which makes some other parts for BMW and other Euro cars) and the supply is nil in both US and Canada (online distributors for BMW parts that I usually check). Luk definitely shows the part as discontinued.

There are some other cheaper alternatives by a company named AAE that everyone sells but I would like to go with the "original" even if it's more expensive.
BMW OEM is out of question though as they ask around $1000 for it....

I'm wondering if anyone has direct access to WorldPAC Canada to check if they have any stock left and eventually a price (I have P/Ns for both Luk and S-Tec)?

Any decent parts house that has an active account with WorldPAC should be able to...Most PartSource stores do, as to most independent part retailers. WorldPAC doesn't sell direct to the public so you need to go through a retailer of some sort.