Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3006622 times)

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #15860 on: January 12, 2022, 03:18:09 pm »
Been trying to sell the Cruze, advertised it just before Christmas and that’s when the cold snap set in. I fired it up on one of the coldest days to warm up as someone was interested in having a look, when I moved it I noticed it turned the snow underneath orange. Leaking water pump. The local shop I use quoted 3.8 hrs labor plus parts, a total of just under $750. Forget that. I decided to tackle the job myself after watching some YT videos. In and out it took me about 3 hours, and I’m slow. I honestly think a mechanic could bang that job off in under 2 hours. The pump was $100 for a OE Delco unit, the el-cheapo brand was only $68. I went OE so hopefully the new owners won’t have to worry about it for awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #15861 on: January 12, 2022, 03:24:04 pm »
Been trying to sell the Cruze, advertised it just before Christmas and that’s when the cold snap set in. I fired it up on one of the coldest days to warm up as someone was interested in having a look, when I moved it I noticed it turned the snow underneath orange. Leaking water pump. The local shop I use quoted 3.8 hrs labor plus parts, a total of just under $750. Forget that. I decided to tackle the job myself after watching some YT videos. In and out it took me about 3 hours, and I’m slow. I honestly think a mechanic could bang that job off in under 2 hours. The pump was $100 for a OE Delco unit, the el-cheapo brand was only $68. I went OE so hopefully the new owners won’t have to worry about it for awhile.

Way to go!
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #15862 on: January 12, 2022, 03:33:13 pm »

Nice job!
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #15863 on: January 12, 2022, 03:37:15 pm »
Boss!  :)
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #15864 on: January 12, 2022, 04:23:31 pm »
Damnit. Looks like the Golf needs a new battery. It wouldn't start today in the cold. It's 6 years old because i didn't get a new one when I bought it in 2017.

Yeah, that's annoying. It was close to -20 out today, felt like -26 with windchill when I left the house this morning. The LS460 chugged a bit (battery of unknown age) but ultimately did start. I keep cables in the trunk just in case, but I might just swap the battery out anyway since it sits for days on end sometimes.

Car's don't "feel" wind chill as much as we treat our cars like our babies  ;D

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #15865 on: January 12, 2022, 04:24:56 pm »

Nice work!

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #15866 on: January 12, 2022, 05:54:20 pm »
Damnit. Looks like the Golf needs a new battery. It wouldn't start today in the cold. It's 6 years old because i didn't get a new one when I bought it in 2017.

Yeah, that's annoying. It was close to -20 out today, felt like -26 with windchill when I left the house this morning. The LS460 chugged a bit (battery of unknown age) but ultimately did start. I keep cables in the trunk just in case, but I might just swap the battery out anyway since it sits for days on end sometimes.

Car's don't "feel" wind chill as much as we treat our cars like our babies  ;D

They do if they are plugged in or have residual heat from operating.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #15867 on: January 12, 2022, 06:05:37 pm »
Yep. Big difference between cool and stone cold

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #15868 on: January 12, 2022, 06:48:43 pm »
I hate when things go wrong in the winter given my garage is not wide enough to work around the car...

Have to replace low beam bulbs on the BMW (one died tonight) which requires to take the wheel and one section of the wheel well liner off to get to the bulb.

Got a new battery today which I need to put in along with a new alternator and the blow by heater (the thing that went up in smoke one time a while back).... May need to go to a shop although they would be quick and easy DIYs weather permitting.

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #15869 on: January 13, 2022, 08:30:40 am »

Going to get a battery today.  I was thinking I would need to have it coded in the ECU, turns out that isn't the case for cars without stop/start.  That's a win!  The dealership charges a half-hour to install the battery. 

Yeah, I'll just do that on my own thanks.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #15870 on: January 13, 2022, 08:53:10 am »

Going to get a battery today.  I was thinking I would need to have it coded in the ECU, turns out that isn't the case for cars without stop/start.  That's a win!  The dealership charges a half-hour to install the battery. 

When I asked for a quote on the traction battery for my car, the service advisor misheard me and gave me a quote for the 12V battery - a bit over $1k installed  :o. Part alone is over $600. The battery is still fine, but I found a tutorial online and yes my car requires a very specific bit of coding in the ECU. CTC has compatible batteries for less than $300. We are so far from my college days when I had two cars and one battery  :P

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #15871 on: January 13, 2022, 09:09:14 am »

The GM dealer want 1/2 hr also ,and about $300 for battery  and that was $60, which isnt not to bad , for the truck
Went to Costco for $135 for the battery
For the Lexus just went to Costco for the battery  , dealer is is 50 min drive , have not been there since getting the free oil change there  ;D

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15872 on: January 13, 2022, 09:12:33 am »

When I asked for a quote on the traction battery for my car, the service advisor misheard me and gave me a quote for the 12V battery - a bit over $1k installed  :o. Part alone is over $600. The battery is still fine, but I found a tutorial online and yes my car requires a very specific bit of coding in the ECU. CTC has compatible batteries for less than $300. We are so far from my college days when I had two cars and one battery  :P

WUT?  Over $1k for a regular battery?  Holy :censor: that's robbery.  FWIW, the OBDEleven can take care of the programming for you if you ever need it.

The GM dealer want 1/2 hr also ,and about $300 for battery  and that was $60, which isnt not to bad , for the truck
Went to Costco for $135 for the battery
For the Lexus just went to Costco for the battery  , dealer is is 50 min drive , have not been there since getting the free oil change there  ;D

The closest VW dealer to me is charging $150 for the battery.  By all accounts they are high quality so I will just go there.  I'm not sure Costco has the right size.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #15873 on: January 13, 2022, 09:15:51 am »
The 1/2 hour charge for the dealer wouldn't bother me so much if I didn't have to wait 4 hours to get my car back.   ;)

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15874 on: January 13, 2022, 09:21:48 am »

WUT?  Over $1k for a regular battery?  Holy :censor: that's robbery.  FWIW, the OBDEleven can take care of the programming for you if you ever need it.

The tutorial I saw on YouTube looked simple enough, and the savings would probably cover software and connectors. The battery is located in a dry and clean inside cubby in the trunk floor. But add this to the upcoming cost of the DCT snake oil and secret swap ritual, and this thing is scaring me back to Asian cars.

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15875 on: January 13, 2022, 09:25:12 am »
Yeah, the DSG fluid swaps are crazy expensive.  It negates a bunch of the savings from driving a TDI.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #15876 on: January 13, 2022, 09:37:45 am »
The DSG changes never bugged me as it was cheaper on a per/km basis than what oil changes were costing me. IE: 6 oil changes for every DSG change.

I think the intervals for the DSG are now at 120,000 so twice as long as before.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15877 on: January 13, 2022, 09:38:28 am »
Yeah, the DSG fluid swaps are crazy expensive.  It negates a bunch of the savings from driving a TDI.

Same with the PHEV. I put $2k in the car this year, and basic yearly service is in the $400's. The brakes rusting off the car were the big ticket item, but that's a design issue. In our climate, we should have the option to turn off regen without putting the transmission in neutral.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15878 on: January 13, 2022, 09:39:56 am »
The DSG changes never bugged me as it was cheaper on a per/km basis than what oil changes were costing me. IE: 6 oil changes for every DSG change.

I think the intervals for the DSG are now at 120,000 so twice as long as before.

... or 48 months. Slushbox oil changes aren't that frequent in the end, and not as expensive.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #15879 on: January 13, 2022, 09:52:11 am »
speak for yourself, if you have a ZF8HP (like many, many do) a fluid swap is expensive as hell
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.