Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3006475 times)

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #15840 on: January 08, 2022, 08:10:44 pm »
Took advantage of the "warm" weather and did an oil change on the Acadia. It was only in the negative teens instead of negative 20's today, balmy!

Were you wearing your safety crocks and vacation shorts?  :P ;D

I'm sloooooowly approaching 8,000 because of the corona work schedule. Did my first oil+filter at under 1000km (engine break-in) and hoping to do the second one in the next week or so. I decided to stick with 6 mnth / 8,000k whichever comes first. It could be an overkill but I like the thought of sparkly-clean bits inside the engine. Fingers crossed for above zero temps  :-[

Lol no, but at least the oil doesn't pour like molasses at these temps.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #15841 on: January 08, 2022, 08:52:46 pm »
Next garage I build will have drains tied into the municipal sewer system. City doesn't like it but I think they are still allowed if built properly (sumps and oil trap). Fully heated, wrap around curtain. the whole shebang.

My garage is 75+ years old. The floor drains rum into a pipe that exits the foundation wall on the back of the garage where the land falls away about 6-8" above the lawn. It tales a 90* turn and disappears into the ground running downhill and ends who knows where.  I suspect it just ends ;D

So an old rumrunner's home?   I want a floor like that  :lick:
Mr Pickypants

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #15842 on: January 08, 2022, 09:36:41 pm »
Next garage I build will have drains tied into the municipal sewer system. City doesn't like it but I think they are still allowed if built properly (sumps and oil trap). Fully heated, wrap around curtain. the whole shebang.

My garage is 75+ years old. The floor drains rum into a pipe that exits the foundation wall on the back of the garage where the land falls away about 6-8" above the lawn. It tales a 90* turn and disappears into the ground running downhill and ends who knows where.  I suspect it just ends ;D

So an old rumrunner's home?   I want a floor like that  :lick:

Yeah, where does the pipe exit?
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #15843 on: January 09, 2022, 06:08:43 pm »
Needed to get some boxes of flooring down from the garage rafters, which meant moving the Jag out, which required moving the SLK too. It was +2C, but damp with an icy cold wind, so not a great day to be playing outside, but it went pretty smooth. Both cars started without any issue, I let them warm up in the driveway while I got the stuff from the rafters, and then took them both for short drives since the roads were fairly dry. First time I've ever used the heat and heated steering wheel in the Jag...works well.

Then covered them back up for another 3 months :(

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #15844 on: January 10, 2022, 10:11:47 am »
Looks nice. You need to move to a garage with a small attached house.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #15845 on: January 10, 2022, 10:57:01 am »
I know.....Working on it, but the market is kind of a mess right now so we're trying to be patient.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #15846 on: January 11, 2022, 03:22:12 pm »
Got the estimate for the truck fix: $9206 for 2 doors and either fixing or replacing the rocker panel (depends if they can fix it I guess) - and of course repainting - and any misc stuff.  Anywhere from 3 weeks to 3 months or anywhere in between...or longer.  Depends. 

They found 1 used rear door...and had to order a brand new FOMOCO front door (coming from the dealer so shouldn't be some Chinese knock off shyte), for which there are none in Canada (or the US I think he said) so waiting for Ford to build some.
Running board and side step thingy also N/A at the moment. 

I still wonder (not that I can afford to anyway) how this would affect it's sale or trade in value.  Body shop guy figured it wouldn't with the shortage of trucks right now...but I wonder...because he would not be the one buying or selling it if I could afford to trade it in.  Probably don't give you anything for that though.  Not on a 9 yr old truck.

What's 10 more years of ownership?  Might as well go for end days with it.  Still be cheaper than a new one.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #15847 on: January 11, 2022, 05:15:23 pm »
Damnit. Looks like the Golf needs a new battery. It wouldn't start today in the cold. It's 6 years old because i didn't get a new one when I bought it in 2017.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #15848 on: January 11, 2022, 09:35:02 pm »
Damnit. Looks like the Golf needs a new battery. It wouldn't start today in the cold. It's 6 years old because i didn't get a new one when I bought it in 2017.

Yeah, that's annoying. It was close to -20 out today, felt like -26 with windchill when I left the house this morning. The LS460 chugged a bit (battery of unknown age) but ultimately did start. I keep cables in the trunk just in case, but I might just swap the battery out anyway since it sits for days on end sometimes.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #15849 on: January 11, 2022, 10:01:25 pm »

Yeah, that's annoying. It was close to -20 out today, felt like -26 with windchill when I left the house this morning. The LS460 chugged a bit (battery of unknown age) but ultimately did start. I keep cables in the trunk just in case, but I might just swap the battery out anyway since it sits for days on end sometimes.

Did you test it or just looking for an excuse to throw new parts at the car?  ;)
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #15850 on: January 11, 2022, 10:24:04 pm »

Did you test it or just looking for an excuse to throw new parts at the car?  ;)

I'll obviously test it first next time I have the car at the shop, but it's at least eight years old.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #15851 on: January 11, 2022, 11:59:46 pm »

I'll obviously test it first next time I have the car at the shop, but it's at least eight years old.

If it's trunk mounted they can last for long time. Mine was over 7 years old when I traded the car and never an issue, although at the end I did start carrying a Li-ion booster just in case. It reminds me to check on its charge tomorrow.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #15852 on: January 12, 2022, 07:20:40 am »

Over eight , just change it , anything over 5 is a bonus
Do you know anyone that can you one wholesale  ;D

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #15853 on: January 12, 2022, 08:21:38 am »

Do you use maintainers with your fleet? Based on firm's advice I bought a NOCO 1 for the Triumph's battery - all of $35 on amazon - and it keeps it ship-shape. Heck, that battery may be 10 years old!
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #15854 on: January 12, 2022, 11:55:59 am »
I know.....Working on it, but the market is kind of a mess right now so we're trying to be patient.

Something like this may do the trick...

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a38737615/florida-mansion-go-kart-track/

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15855 on: January 12, 2022, 12:02:53 pm »

Do you use maintainers with your fleet? Based on firm's advice I bought a NOCO 1 for the Triumph's battery - all of $35 on amazon - and it keeps it ship-shape. Heck, that battery may be 10 years old!

Yup, everything in winter storage is on CTEK maintainers. The LS460 lives outside, so not really an option when it sits.

The R8 is on a NOCO 1 that I bought a few years ago, and I don't like it quite as much. Too bulky on the actual outlet, and doesn't feel as nicely made as the CTEKs. That one also has a battery of unknown age, but has never had trouble starting.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15856 on: January 12, 2022, 12:09:24 pm »

Yup, everything in winter storage is on CTEK maintainers. The LS460 lives outside, so not really an option when it sits.

The R8 is on a NOCO 1 that I bought a few years ago, and I don't like it quite as much. Too bulky on the actual outlet, and doesn't feel as nicely made as the CTEKs. That one also has a battery of unknown age, but has never had trouble starting.

In winter the NOCO sits on the outlet with the battery in a crate below, while in the summer I use an extension cord with the device located under the hood, on the handy shelf created by the passenger footwell box.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #15857 on: January 12, 2022, 02:12:26 pm »

I'd like a place with enough land for an eighth-mile drag strip. 

:skid:

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15858 on: January 12, 2022, 02:22:15 pm »

You'd need another type of Corolla

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #15859 on: January 12, 2022, 02:26:56 pm »

You'd need another type of Corolla

Yeah, rear-wheel drive would be more fun, but I still plan on taking my Corolla to the strip in Spring.