Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3006454 times)

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #15800 on: January 03, 2022, 07:09:11 pm »
Ordered two new batteries (primary and secondary) for the Bentley. The current ones are of unknown age and there's some hesitation in cold weather. The trunk wouldn't open when coming out of the grocery store, and on startup it actually said "electronic use restricted, battery voltage low".
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #15801 on: January 03, 2022, 10:23:30 pm »
Replaced the rear rotors, pads, and one caliper on the Tundra today. The drivers side rear locked up on me a couple years back. It’s been fine ever since but I had one sitting in the garage that I had ordered a while back so I swapped it. It was a :censor: getting the old pads out of that one caliper so I thought it would be harder getting them back in without a bunch of cleaning. Took about 4 hours start to finish.

It takes balls of ice to do it in the middle of winter, even inside a garage  :thumbup: Good job!
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #15802 on: January 03, 2022, 10:25:19 pm »
Ordered two new batteries (primary and secondary) for the Bentley. The current ones are of unknown age and there's some hesitation in cold weather. The trunk wouldn't open when coming out of the grocery store, and on startup it actually said "electronic use restricted, battery voltage low".

It's double everything in this car, like cylinders, ign. coils, spark plugs, you name it  ;)

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #15803 on: January 03, 2022, 10:32:25 pm »
Replaced the rear rotors, pads, and one caliper on the Tundra today. The drivers side rear locked up on me a couple years back. It’s been fine ever since but I had one sitting in the garage that I had ordered a while back so I swapped it. It was a :censor: getting the old pads out of that one caliper so I thought it would be harder getting them back in without a bunch of cleaning. Took about 4 hours start to finish.

It takes balls of ice to do it in the middle of winter, even inside a garage  :thumbup: Good job!

Yep, I was thinking the same when I saw the barely melted snow/ice on the ground...Winter car repairs can be absolutely brutal. Escalade needs rear pads/rotors as they're down to maybe 3mm or so, but I am gunna wait till spring comes around....

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #15804 on: January 03, 2022, 11:57:53 pm »
^ Ya, wheels were packed up pretty good with snow/grit from yesterdays ice fishing trip. Made the job a little messy but foam floor mats help with that.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #15805 on: January 04, 2022, 12:40:21 am »

Yep, I was thinking the same when I saw the barely melted snow/ice on the ground...Winter car repairs can be absolutely brutal. Escalade needs rear pads/rotors as they're down to maybe 3mm or so, but I am gunna wait till spring comes around....

I installed a 30amp 220V outlet in the garage so I could plug in one of those cheap portable space heaters. My garage typically stays 20 degrees warmer than the outside temp. Only really goes below freezing in Jan/Feb.  With the recent arctic air it has been -7 to -8 in the garage (-25 to -30 outside). Running the heater for 2 hours gets the temp to about 15C which is perfect for working on things. Highly recommended for not much money.. a 4500W unit is using 4.5 KW at a full dressed cost of what?  $.15/hour? Done. So in real cold snaps it costs.

$3.60/day for me to work in my t shirt while it is -30 on the other side of the garage door.. Kinda nice getting into a room temp car if I have to run an errand or two.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #15806 on: January 04, 2022, 07:33:05 am »
Normally my truck would melt off, but with this cold snap the garage is sitting just below zero temp wise. I use a propane heater when I want to work in there in winter. I should just suck it up and get a natural gas heater installed.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #15807 on: January 04, 2022, 08:14:56 am »

I installed a 30amp 220V outlet in the garage so I could plug in one of those cheap portable space heaters. My garage typically stays 20 degrees warmer than the outside temp. Only really goes below freezing in Jan/Feb.  With the recent arctic air it has been -7 to -8 in the garage (-25 to -30 outside). Running the heater for 2 hours gets the temp to about 15C which is perfect for working on things. Highly recommended for not much money.. a 4500W unit is using 4.5 KW at a full dressed cost of what?  $.15/hour? Done. So in real cold snaps it costs.

$3.60/day for me to work in my t shirt while it is -30 on the other side of the garage door.. Kinda nice getting into a room temp car if I have to run an errand or two.

I'm averaging about $0.20/kWhr on my bill,  4.5x0.2=0.9,  so $0.90 an hour or so.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 08:16:37 am by blur911 »
Mr Pickypants

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #15808 on: January 04, 2022, 10:02:27 am »

I have one of those electric heaters in mine as well...Works alright, but since my garage is filled with hibernating cars all winter I haven't made use of it much recently. One year I did a clutch replacement in my old Triumph Spitfire over the Christmas break and it was really good to have some heat in there.

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #15809 on: January 04, 2022, 10:13:38 am »
Would be nice to have something for sure. Remember changing an oil filter that blew out last year when it was -30, kind of an experience

Trouble is I shelved out the garage pretty good, so insulating it now would be a right PITA

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #15810 on: January 04, 2022, 10:51:56 am »
I put the grill block on the Corolla.

Nice. Old Pilsner box?

Corrugated plastic sign material and pipe insulation.

Is that even necessary though?  On old cars (except for Chevy's) - sure, but something like the 'rolla?  My Sonic takes a while to get warm but when it is I've never needed more heat than it gives even at -30 or colder. 

I'm averaging about $0.20/kWhr on my bill,  4.5x0.2=0.9,  so $0.90 an hour or so.

That's not cheap.  That's like $650/mo to heat the garage.  Which makes sense, those things from what I've heard cost a shitton to keep a garage warm.  Pretty sure our rate's only 8.5/kwh (I should check again - might've gone up) - and I won't ever use the 220 plug I put in my garage for that very purpose (found out after what they cost to use - fack that!).  Much better off if I ran a gas line and a gas furnace.  And never opened the doors to park inside.

What I really need is a bathroom fan to pull out the humidity.  I've got so much frost build-up around the garage doors and walk-in (and the screws in the OSB - apparently my Tyvek job wasn't 100% - and I'm also not about to rip all the siding off to re-do it - after 14 yrs like this now  :bang:), I'm surprised my door knob hasn't frozen solid yet like it always does.  I've got one of them portable diesel/kerosene heaters if I want to do anything in there. Melt your pants if you stand too close.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15811 on: January 04, 2022, 10:54:55 am »

yeah i think my math was off before. I am about $.50/hour.  Going to have to turn it off at night lol.

My garage is fully insulated along the ceiling and has an open vent in the ceiling. I think they were planning on doing an attic but in the end insulated the ceiling. What I have done is added a mechanical damper so I can close the vent off when it gets really cold and I want to heat. 95% of the time it remains open.

For those of you using propane/kerosene heaters be careful as those produce lots of CO. Don't want to find harry homeowner doing a brake job passed out on the ground due to CO levels. At the very least run a CO detector in the garage.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 11:01:16 am by ktm525 »

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #15812 on: January 04, 2022, 11:00:14 am »

yeah i think my math was off before. I am about $.50/hour.  Going to have to turn it off at night lol.

I have a Big Buddy propane heater, I think it's more economical to run in Ontario

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15813 on: January 04, 2022, 11:03:36 am »
The old Herman Nelson. A mainstay of the north.

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #15814 on: January 04, 2022, 11:05:40 am »
That and a parachute is a wonderful thing

That being said, it all works fine until the propane freezes

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #15815 on: January 04, 2022, 11:16:35 am »
I put the grill block on the Corolla.

Nice. Old Pilsner box?

Corrugated plastic sign material and pipe insulation.

Is that even necessary though?  On old cars (except for Chevy's) - sure, but something like the 'rolla?  My Sonic takes a while to get warm but when it is I've never needed more heat than it gives even at -30 or colder. 

It does help the car warm up more quickly.  Plus, it retains block heater heat better without the wind blowing on the motor.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15816 on: January 04, 2022, 11:21:48 am »
I wish I had a garage heater as I could have actually got some jobs done in there over the holiday break. But ~ -30 outside makes it too cold. :(

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #15817 on: January 04, 2022, 11:34:10 am »
My attached garage is insulated, has three warm sides (basement, house, bedroom above) and is kept warm with this electric ceiling unit:

Thermostat is set at about 12.5°C, I push it up as needed when I need to work in there.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15818 on: January 04, 2022, 11:45:25 am »
Nice. How many torques does it have?   ;D

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #15819 on: January 04, 2022, 12:24:50 pm »
My attached garage is insulated, has three warm sides (basement, house, bedroom above) and is kept warm with this electric ceiling unit:

Thermostat is set at about 12.5°C, I push it up as needed when I need to work in there.

Do you have a basement underneath your Garage? I haven't seen that anywhere I've been in Canada