Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3006377 times)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #15780 on: December 21, 2021, 03:38:30 pm »
Went to do some Christmas shopping and the DTS was starting kinda slow, even though I've been keeping the battery topped up on a maintainer periodically due to my limited usage right now. I had a 'new' (1 year old) AC Delco battery, the correct group 79 (which is really obscure, only a handful of GMs used it), on hand, so I figured I'd swap it out proactively. Battery is under the rear seat in the DTS, so I was not looking forward to it, but I was surprised....Keeping the battery in the car has some merits; all the connections are nice and clean, as is the hold down, so no corrosion or dirt to deal with. I used a booster pack on the jump points under the hood to keep the car powered up during the swap too, so no need to reset everything. 20 minutes flat, including getting the battery and tools out.
Starts great now, and I have peace of mind knowing it's got a fresh battery. Old battery was an Interstate dated 2015, so not terribly old, but probably due.

The dealer gave me a quote to swap the 12V battery on the A3 - $1,044. The part itself is nearly $700, the rest involves between 3 and 4 hours of dark forest rituals, secret codes and proprietary software.
WHAT?

Nuts! Could it be some special Li-ion 12V battery?
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #15781 on: December 21, 2021, 03:55:25 pm »
Went to do some Christmas shopping and the DTS was starting kinda slow, even though I've been keeping the battery topped up on a maintainer periodically due to my limited usage right now. I had a 'new' (1 year old) AC Delco battery, the correct group 79 (which is really obscure, only a handful of GMs used it), on hand, so I figured I'd swap it out proactively. Battery is under the rear seat in the DTS, so I was not looking forward to it, but I was surprised....Keeping the battery in the car has some merits; all the connections are nice and clean, as is the hold down, so no corrosion or dirt to deal with. I used a booster pack on the jump points under the hood to keep the car powered up during the swap too, so no need to reset everything. 20 minutes flat, including getting the battery and tools out.
Starts great now, and I have peace of mind knowing it's got a fresh battery. Old battery was an Interstate dated 2015, so not terribly old, but probably due.

The dealer gave me a quote to swap the 12V battery on the A3 - $1,044. The part itself is nearly $700, the rest involves between 3 and 4 hours of dark forest rituals, secret codes and proprietary software.
WHAT?

Another reason why I will always run 'old junk', even if I was in a position to drop that kind of money on a battery replacement, I could never justify it. That $700 (or $1000) is just so much better elsewhere.
The DTS replacement cost me $0. When I bought the chrome wheels and tires off a seller who had recently scrapped his high km DTS (he had a mint low km example as well) so mentioned that he had a new battery that had only been in the car a few weeks before something failed (power steering) and he decided to scrap the car. So I talked him into including the battery in the deal on the wheels - knowing that mine was of unknown age, I figured it would come in handy.
If I went out and bought a new battery, say at CTC, it would be $300 since the DTS uses a massive single battery that's an obscure group size. 

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #15782 on: December 21, 2021, 04:26:32 pm »

WHAT?

Another reason why I will always run 'old junk', even if I was in a position to drop that kind of money on a battery replacement, I could never justify it. That $700 (or $1000) is just so much better elsewhere.
The DTS replacement cost me $0. When I bought the chrome wheels and tires off a seller who had recently scrapped his high km DTS (he had a mint low km example as well) so mentioned that he had a new battery that had only been in the car a few weeks before something failed (power steering) and he decided to scrap the car. So I talked him into including the battery in the deal on the wheels - knowing that mine was of unknown age, I figured it would come in handy.
If I went out and bought a new battery, say at CTC, it would be $300 since the DTS uses a massive single battery that's an obscure group size.

The Audi's battery is in a box accessible from the trunk floor. There is a bit of programming required, here's a how-to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN1zXNpDbE0&t=5s

I would not be comfy with the programming tool, but still I don't see $1k's worth of work here...  ::)

« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 04:33:30 pm by Blueprint »
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #15783 on: December 21, 2021, 04:30:58 pm »
The Audi's battery is in a box accessible from the trunk floor. There is a bit of programming required, here's a how-to video: https://ausaucissonvaudois.com/

I would not be comfy with the programming tool, but still I don't see $1k's worth of work here...  ::)

Are you certain about the above link you supplied?  :P
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #15784 on: December 21, 2021, 04:33:53 pm »
The Audi's battery is in a box accessible from the trunk floor. There is a bit of programming required, here's a how-to video: https://ausaucissonvaudois.com/

Are you certain about the above link you supplied?  :P

It was tasty, wasn't it? I edited the original post.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15785 on: December 21, 2021, 04:39:48 pm »
CTC has batteries for my car from 167$, not made of boxed static electricity from unicorn underpants: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/automotive/batteries-maintenance-accessories/car-truck-batteries/audi/a3-sportback-e-tron/2017.html?engineConfigId=21650

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #15786 on: December 21, 2021, 06:26:10 pm »

WHAT?

Yeah but, not only do you have the knowledge to fix a lot of things, you also seem to have an inordinate amount of time to faff around on vehicles.  :P :rofl2:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #15787 on: December 21, 2021, 08:58:59 pm »

WHAT?

Yeah but, not only do you have the knowledge to fix a lot of things, you also seem to have an inordinate amount of time to faff around on vehicles.  :P :rofl2:

I prioritize differently than most people...Don't follow sports, don't watch TV, etc...basically, if it's not productive I am not interested. Work takes up a lot of my time, with WFH I am probably 9-11 hours a day on work stuff. Rest of the time is my time to get to the stuff I want to do.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #15788 on: December 22, 2021, 12:30:48 pm »

WHAT?

I prioritize differently than most people...Don't follow sports, don't watch TV, etc...basically, if it's not productive I am not interested. Work takes up a lot of my time, with WFH I am probably 9-11 hours a day on work stuff. Rest of the time is my time to get to the stuff I want to do.

Same here, I don't watch much TV either. The combination of house stuff, kids, dogs, and getting my business off the ground has left me with a lot less time to tinker. Any spare time I have I like to spend it dirt biking. Which is why both of my motorcycle projects are taking so long. Hopefully this spring will see the RC51 back on the road.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #15789 on: December 30, 2021, 07:26:24 pm »
The GTI turned 70,000 km on my way home tonight... and will be exactly 5.5 years old tomorrow.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #15790 on: December 31, 2021, 10:34:38 pm »

Are there really any truly reliable 'uber' sedans? 

Lots of the drivers seem to use late model Toyotas and Hondas, so I'd say "yes."    ;D
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #15791 on: January 02, 2022, 01:44:40 pm »
I put the grill block on the Corolla. 
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #15792 on: January 02, 2022, 01:49:58 pm »

Nice. Old Pilsner box?

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15793 on: January 02, 2022, 02:16:23 pm »

Why would you do that?  :o

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #15794 on: January 02, 2022, 04:01:10 pm »
These south Ontario people.... Think Fargo movie.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #15795 on: January 02, 2022, 06:41:58 pm »

Nice. Old Pilsner box?

Corrugated plastic sign material and pipe insulation. 

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15796 on: January 02, 2022, 07:00:21 pm »
It doesn't look like there will be steaks ...  ;)

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #15797 on: January 03, 2022, 06:59:27 pm »
Replaced the rear rotors, pads, and one caliper on the Tundra today. The drivers side rear locked up on me a couple years back. It’s been fine ever since but I had one sitting in the garage that I had ordered a while back so I swapped it. It was a :censor: getting the old pads out of that one caliper so I thought it would be harder getting them back in without a bunch of cleaning. Took about 4 hours start to finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #15798 on: January 03, 2022, 07:02:56 pm »
Looking good!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #15799 on: January 03, 2022, 07:06:31 pm »
^ Thanks. Blizzarding here now so can’t even properly test or give them a good break in. Took it for a short drive and the pulsating that was there before is gone.  Mission accomplished I think.