Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3005829 times)

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #15640 on: November 28, 2021, 12:35:19 pm »
Pulled the (dead again) battery out of the Fusion.  It'll sit now 'til sometime in 2022, no point leaving it outside in the cold.  Presently charging it back to full.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #15641 on: November 28, 2021, 03:49:20 pm »
Pulled the (dead again) battery out of the Fusion.  It'll sit now 'til sometime in 2022, no point leaving it outside in the cold.  Presently charging it back to full.
Why not just sell it ?

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #15642 on: November 28, 2021, 07:43:55 pm »

If it's lead acid and it's discharged fully a number of times it's DOA  A trickle charger might save it, but doubtful.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15643 on: November 29, 2021, 09:06:20 am »
Why not just sell it ?

Because in the mind of everyone it's

My bro offered me $3500 for it (his middle child would like it)...told him that doesn't cover the new transfer case, or driveshaft...or the brand new rotors and pads...try again bud.  There's a 2009 Camry Hybrid with 300,000+ km for $5900 and MY car is worth less.  ::) :P  :(  :think:

And it's paid for.  If I had to replace it, it'd cost more than just keeping it.  I do like the idea of getting a PHEV SUV or something...but do we really need one?  ???  Then the truck will just sit and die...and more debt then too. 

If it's lead acid and it's discharged fully a number of times it's DOA  A trickle charger might save it, but doubtful.

It charged to FULL but that doesn't mean much I imagine.  I'll bring it in the basement now that it is and it'll sit on a shelf until the next time it is needed.  I guess I could try my battery tester...if it is shot there's probably still some warranty left on it.  It's not that old IIRC.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #15644 on: November 29, 2021, 09:39:59 am »
Yeah, if you like it, it's in good shape and not worth anything, so hang onto it.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #15645 on: November 29, 2021, 09:45:21 am »
It charged to FULL but that doesn't mean much I imagine.  I'll bring it in the basement now that it is and it'll sit on a shelf until the next time it is needed.  I guess I could try my battery tester...if it is shot there's probably still some warranty left on it.  It's not that old IIRC.

Yeah, it's the capacity that gets screwed up. Full can mean a teaspoon or a gallon

We had a ton of vehicles sitting around on the farm and this type of thing was always a problem, especially if they had a bit of a parasitic draw

One of those heater element type battery testers will tell you pretty quick

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15646 on: November 29, 2021, 11:04:51 am »
Yeah, if you like it, it's in good shape and not worth anything, so hang onto it.

Every time I get in it and drive it...I still like it. It's quick enough, it drives nice, and I even still like looking at it.  It's my wife who hates it with the Passion of Christ. Apparently the seats are awful. She feels like she's being crucified anytime we have choose to go more than an hour away anywhere in it. 

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #15647 on: November 29, 2021, 11:46:51 am »

Yeah, but anything that sits outside will not be in good shape in a year or two.  (Is the kid's Mustang still taking it's garage spot?)

Trade it for a motorcycle ;D
Takes up less space sitting there
Mr Pickypants

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #15648 on: November 29, 2021, 12:26:12 pm »

Yeah, but anything that sits outside will not be in good shape in a year or two.  (Is the kid's Mustang still taking it's garage spot?)

Iunno about that, I've got cars that have lived outside 10+ years (in my ownership at least) without any real impacts...I do cover them if I am not going to be using it for awhile, usually with a decent quality outdoor cover, and keep the undersides oil sprayed. Which is why I've recommended both to BWII in the past.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #15649 on: November 29, 2021, 12:34:56 pm »

Iunno about that, I've got cars that have lived outside 10+ years (in my ownership at least) without any real impacts...I do cover them if I am not going to be using it for awhile, usually with a decent quality outdoor cover, and keep the undersides oil sprayed. Which is why I've recommended both to BWII in the past.

On pavement under a cover is certainly better, is this the case for the Fusion?

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #15650 on: November 29, 2021, 12:45:01 pm »
yeah, sitting on mud uncovered isn't gunna be good. You said "anything that sits outside will not be in good shape in a year or two", which isn't true IMO.....If you said "anything that sits uncovered on mud for a year or two..." I would've kept my mouth shut  ;D

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #15651 on: November 29, 2021, 12:48:21 pm »
There has to be someone in town that has spare garage space for the Fusion.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Online Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15652 on: November 29, 2021, 01:26:52 pm »
In long grass can be a killer for rust but sitting outside on a dry surface is just fine. Minus any hail storms or the like.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #15653 on: November 29, 2021, 01:56:38 pm »
yeah, sitting on mud uncovered isn't gunna be good. You said "anything that sits outside will not be in good shape in a year or two", which isn't true IMO.....If you said "anything that sits uncovered on mud for a year or two..." I would've kept my mouth shut  ;D

Yeah, should have clarified.   
Other stupid things happen though, last year I left my truck in my driveway for 6 weeks while away in NB, when we got back the alternator was seized and a fusible link was corroded and had to be replaced.
Right now my Subaru, which is for sale for parts, won't start unless I jump it at the starter and it takes a lot of effort to move the gearshift, plus the brakes are stupid rusty, all from sitting for about a year.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #15654 on: November 29, 2021, 02:04:36 pm »
Might be worse out east with the humidity. Just about zero humidity out west in the winter with the cold

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #15655 on: November 29, 2021, 03:37:15 pm »
Yeah, humidity (or the lack of) and air flow are key. Stuff can go wrong, probably more likely with newer cars and more sensitive electronics and such. The T/A spent 4-5 winters outside, covered, and I never noticed any real issues as a result. Last year and this year I did manage to get it indoors. The DTS sits outside all the time, and I may drive it a couple times a month...usually a flurry of use and then nothing for a couple weeks. I cover it also (assuming it's clean) and put in the battery maintainer every few weeks, it's been good.

I also have the SLK in my driveway right now, covered. I am sure it'll be fine. The interior was damp (from a previous leak, plus my cleaning efforts) so I ran a dehumidifier in it for a couple days and then put one of those 'damprid' containers in it to soak up excess moisture. Since it's here at home I'll probably start it every 6 weeks or so and let it get to temp, chase some of the moisture outta the engine bay.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #15656 on: November 29, 2021, 07:31:41 pm »

I replaced the passenger side CV boot on the motorhome.  This is an OE style as on a '76 Toronado, supposed to give better clearance at the shock mount than the one I installed on the driver's side.
Look at all the plier things you need to change a boot, geez

Also drilled out the lower ball-joint mount to 3/8" and installed new grade 8 button head cap screws and nylock nuts along with Loktite red

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #15657 on: December 01, 2021, 04:58:25 pm »
CX5 got winter shoes put on today (from an appt booked 5 weeks ago  :o)   and probably got the last drive of the year in for the MX-5.
Went to Mazda dealer to get that done -- they don't have a single new car on the lot - showroom had one car... an NC MX-5.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #15658 on: December 02, 2021, 04:13:21 am »
they don't have a single new car on the lot - showroom had one car... an NC MX-5.

Don't think ppl fully understand the gravity of the problem.  The shortages are immense.  No new vehicles at either the local Nissan or Toyota stores.  Was there today.  Both have stopped taking any orders.  Toyota Canada informed them that Toyota's chip situation will be worse by end of year.  Every dealer in town looks like they are out of business.

Quite fortuitous that I moved on the MDX and Armada when I did.  I had my suspicions, but did not think it would ever get to this level.  If one where to lose their vehicle tomorrow via wreck or theft chances are they'll be taking the bus for a while.  It's mind boggling.   

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15659 on: December 02, 2021, 02:00:23 pm »
they don't have a single new car on the lot - showroom had one car... an NC MX-5.

Don't think ppl fully understand the gravity of the problem.  The shortages are immense. 

2011 Fusion Sport...$12,500.

;D :rofl2:

I was surprised by how many new 2021 F150's the local dealer had on their lot, had to be 10 or more, plus a couple of Edges, a new Bronco, and a few Bronco Lites and some other new stuff...they even had a few used F150's and other used stuff too.  One (much bigger) town over last time we test drove the Mach E that Ford dealer had only 1 or 2 F150's and their used car selection was darn near single digits if it wasn't.  Maybe they've since loaded up too.