Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3006227 times)

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #15460 on: October 28, 2021, 04:57:27 pm »
^^ Yeah, that STI looks just right.  :thumbup:  Probably a collectors item in the no too distant future as well. 

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #15461 on: October 28, 2021, 05:15:45 pm »
Not sure how it happened, but my wife noticed the outer right taillight housing on the Odyssey is cracked. No impact tell-tale, but a big star nevertheless.

Browsing around, new oem assembly at a Toronto Honda dealer that sells parts online is 230$.

wrench monkey has the TYC jobber part for 146 CDN

rockauto, of course, has the very same TYC part for 50 CDN. Even with shipping and customs this should come in cheaper? I will first phone the dealer to see the local new part price, and see if I can find a used one. Two on marketplace are in Oshawa for 50$. If rockauto I'll check if I need anything else before ordering.

I ordered my brake parts from them last month and wasn't impressed with their service at all.  The pads i ordered were not in stock so they suggested another as a substitute and I agreed.  They first charged my credit card for the original part which was just under $60 more expensive than the substitute.  Took dozens of emails and at least as many phone calls before they finally credited my Visa.  They never responded to any of my inquiries and the phone calls all went to vm.  About 2 weeks later i get an email saying the credit was applied and a vague apology for taking so long.  Not sure what the issue was (CERB?) but didn't give me much confidence and I'll never deal with them again.  Figured I'd give them a tray cuz Canadian but not again. 

YMMV.

Thanks for the advice! I'll check the Ody when the wife gets home to make sure nothing else needs to be swapped before ordering. No used parts pop up locally on search engines. New oem part at dealer is 240$  :P

Edit: rockauto is 81 CDN with shipping, and the part is from the oem supplier!

Order placed, 65 USD including taxes and shipping. Cheapest FeDex option has my part here in less than a week, not too bad! Wife reminded me she backed into the recycling bin, so I now have the full picture... (we have these huge vertical rolling blue bins in town).
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #15462 on: October 28, 2021, 07:18:08 pm »
I buy my brakes from here.

Been pretty happy with them thus far.

https://m.maxbrakes.com/en-ca/
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #15463 on: October 28, 2021, 07:20:39 pm »
I looked into those. Mixed reviews at best.
I'm glad to hear they work for you.
When they originally hit the market, they were "meh".

The later/current ones better.

I think Blur911 uses them on his Cayenne.

Like I wouldn't put these on a track car or anything. But for a normal car, so far so good.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 07:23:35 pm by rrocket »

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #15464 on: October 28, 2021, 11:38:06 pm »
I like Bosch for cheap rotors/pads (Rockauto). I have them on the Outlander and they are pretty good so far.
For VW, BMW Zimmerman it is. A bit more pricier as Rockauto doesn't sell them so I need to buy locally.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #15465 on: October 29, 2021, 12:33:55 am »
I like Bosch for cheap rotors/pads (Rockauto). I have them on the Outlander and they are pretty good so far.
For VW, BMW Zimmerman it is. A bit more pricier as Rockauto doesn't sell them so I need to buy locally.

RA sucks when you need something returned, even if it's a wrong/mis-advertised part, really reminds me of soviet style sales and service. Anyways, Bosch seem to make their own parts while many other names are re-brands of the same junk. Denso is another good MFG in my experience, bought a ton of various filters and everything fit.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #15466 on: October 29, 2021, 08:20:21 am »

RA sucks when you need something returned, even if it's a wrong/mis-advertised part, really reminds me of soviet style sales and service. Anyways, Bosch seem to make their own parts while many other names are re-brands of the same junk. Denso is another good MFG in my experience, bought a ton of various filters and everything fit.

Never had an issue with RA orders or parts but again I do a lot of due diligence before I order a part.
However, I will make my first return next week so will see how it goes. Luckily it's  inexpensive stuff (LED interior bulbs) which I can "write off" if it gets complicated.

Denso is a very good brand IMO - would be my #1 choice for A/C components for example.

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #15467 on: October 29, 2021, 10:26:56 am »

Never had an issue with RA orders or parts but again I do a lot of due diligence before I order a part.
However, I will make my first return next week so will see how it goes. Luckily it's  inexpensive stuff (LED interior bulbs) which I can "write off" if it gets complicated.

Denso is a very good brand IMO - would be my #1 choice for A/C components for example.

Same, had to warranty a endlink and had no issues getting a refund even though the one I sent back was mangled. (Had to cut it off as it was seized)
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #15468 on: October 29, 2021, 12:12:51 pm »
Wheel dollies for IQs IS300 came in the mail today.

I'll be able to push her car way off to one side of the garage for the winter now.

Those things are a god-send. I started using the 'go-jack' style where the dollies also jack the car up, but they're expensive and kinda bulky. Now I've got a few sets of the plain dollies; cheap, light weight, use a floor jack to lift the car, throw the dollies under and you're good to go
That's what I did.

Bought a set of these.

Pentagon 83-DT5500 5050 Tool | Premium 2-Pack | Car Dolly-Tire Skates Red https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B076CP9RD2/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_03D2XXB2NH8WA7ASEERN

Have you used them yet? I'm debating to buy these & just keep the SLK in the garage for this winter as opposed to putting it in storage.

It will mean that Bella's car will be out on the driveway all winter along with the Passport.
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #15469 on: October 29, 2021, 12:41:13 pm »

I'll be able to push her car way off to one side of the garage for the winter now.

Those things are a god-send. I started using the 'go-jack' style where the dollies also jack the car up, but they're expensive and kinda bulky. Now I've got a few sets of the plain dollies; cheap, light weight, use a floor jack to lift the car, throw the dollies under and you're good to go
That's what I did.

Bought a set of these.

Pentagon 83-DT5500 5050 Tool | Premium 2-Pack | Car Dolly-Tire Skates Red https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B076CP9RD2/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_03D2XXB2NH8WA7ASEERN

Have you used them yet? I'm debating to buy these & just keep the SLK in the garage for this winter as opposed to putting it in storage.

It will mean that Bella's car will be out on the driveway all winter along with the Passport.

It looks from the reviews they are fine if you have a very smooth floor, but a small stone can rip a wheel off.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15470 on: October 29, 2021, 01:28:23 pm »

That's what I did.

Bought a set of these.

It looks from the reviews they are fine if you have a very smooth floor, but a small stone can rip a wheel off.

:rofl:  :rofl: 

I did see that, but how much of it is user error when they assembled the damn thing. I just need it so I can push the SLK right up against the wall & give myself a few feet beside it for the snowblower to pass. And then on a nice day, maybe I drop it off the stands & take it for a drive  ;D

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #15471 on: October 29, 2021, 01:53:02 pm »

That's what I did.

Bought a set of these.

:rofl:  :rofl: 

I did see that, but how much of it is user error when they assembled the damn thing. I just need it so I can push the SLK right up against the wall & give myself a few feet beside it for the snowblower to pass. And then on a nice day, maybe I drop it off the stands & take it for a drive  ;D

I dunno, those casters look pretty small. Just give the place a good sweep beforehand.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #15472 on: October 29, 2021, 09:18:50 pm »
I have some very similar ones, they're fine, unless you have big cracks in the floor. At my grandma's place it's a 65 year old concrete floor, so there are a few good sized cracks, and of course they're always where I want to push the car. Get one of the casters caught in a crack and you've gotta jack the car back up, re-position, etc. 

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15473 on: October 29, 2021, 09:57:37 pm »
Turned 63k kms on the SLK today on the way home from the golf course... so I've put 10k kms on it thus far.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #15474 on: October 30, 2021, 01:18:34 pm »
Car dollies make for a difficult purchase as you never known the true quality of the castor until use.

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #15475 on: October 30, 2021, 03:59:28 pm »
Got winters installed on the MDX. Of course they weren't too dirty (about half hour drive from the tire shop) so hit it up with Poorboys wheel cleaner and followed up with Gyeon wet coat.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #15476 on: October 30, 2021, 04:29:38 pm »
New Blizzaks mounted on the new to me Mazda wheels and on the car!

There is maybe another month of cycling left, then I'll take the bike trays off.  I'm unsure if I'll take the whole rack off for the winter, or not

20 sided dice net

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15477 on: October 30, 2021, 05:00:33 pm »
I have some very similar ones, they're fine, unless you have big cracks in the floor. At my grandma's place it's a 65 year old concrete floor, so there are a few good sized cracks, and of course they're always where I want to push the car. Get one of the casters caught in a crack and you've gotta jack the car back up, re-position, etc.

Oh yeah, never thought of that. If it gets stuck in a crack you can't just lift it up.  :rofl2:

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #15478 on: October 30, 2021, 05:06:18 pm »
Oil change and winter tires on the civic today. I'll wait until the snow flies to do the tire changeover for the Acadia.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #15479 on: October 30, 2021, 05:09:08 pm »

New Blizzaks mounted on the new to me Mazda wheels and on the car!

There is maybe another month of cycling left, then I'll take the bike trays off.  I'm unsure if I'll take the whole rack off for the winter, or not

Looks good!  Those are the 90's right? I'm looking forward to seeing how they perform.

I'd take the rack off just to save wear and tear if you're not using it.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.