Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3006437 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #15440 on: October 26, 2021, 04:54:00 pm »
I find my 2-stoke stuff, even with stabilizer, tends to put up a fit after sitting for 6 months. Once it's going in the spring though it's fine for the rest of the season.

I'll keep using stabilizer, the $12 I spend a year on the 1L bottle isn't hurting me, and I've never had a problem with any of my stuff starting up after long sleeps. The Camaro, for example, had gas from 2016 when I put it back on the road this summer....I could smell the gas was a little off, but the stabilizer kept it good enough that I burn it through rather than pumping it out. Even modern stuff like the Sonoma....I only burnt half a tank in it this season, so when I stored it last weekend I topped it up with no-ethanol 91 and put some more stabilizer in it.
I've found synthetic 2 stroke oil seems to mitigate those issues.

Maybe, I've been operating from the the same two open quarts of generic 2-stoke oil for years  ;D
The stuff I use the recommended ratio is 100:1 regardless of what the original ratio was for the tool.

Seems to work as I haven't seized anything. No clogging, very very little smoke and smell.

What is this magical oil you are speaking of?
Amsoil Sabre.

Ah, never heard of it, see its listed under power equipment and not power sports.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6iijz3  :rofl2:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #15441 on: October 26, 2021, 05:01:26 pm »
I find my 2-stoke stuff, even with stabilizer, tends to put up a fit after sitting for 6 months. Once it's going in the spring though it's fine for the rest of the season.

I'll keep using stabilizer, the $12 I spend a year on the 1L bottle isn't hurting me, and I've never had a problem with any of my stuff starting up after long sleeps. The Camaro, for example, had gas from 2016 when I put it back on the road this summer....I could smell the gas was a little off, but the stabilizer kept it good enough that I burn it through rather than pumping it out. Even modern stuff like the Sonoma....I only burnt half a tank in it this season, so when I stored it last weekend I topped it up with no-ethanol 91 and put some more stabilizer in it.
I've found synthetic 2 stroke oil seems to mitigate those issues.

Maybe, I've been operating from the the same two open quarts of generic 2-stoke oil for years  ;D
The stuff I use the recommended ratio is 100:1 regardless of what the original ratio was for the tool.

Seems to work as I haven't seized anything. No clogging, very very little smoke and smell.

What is this magical oil you are speaking of?
Amsoil Sabre.

Ah, never heard of it, see its listed under power equipment and not power sports.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6iijz3  :rofl2:

LOL. Must be Ron's special blend  ;D
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #15442 on: October 26, 2021, 05:08:18 pm »
Got both vehicles washed and detailed last week while I was on my forced sabbatical.  Also painted the laundy room, including  washer/dryer, and fixed all the little things around the house I've been putting off for a while. 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 05:10:38 pm by KD »

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #15443 on: October 26, 2021, 05:14:48 pm »
Damn, you should get quarantined more often!
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15444 on: October 26, 2021, 07:07:42 pm »
Damn, you should get quarantined more often!

Probably got most of it done in the two days waiting for my results.  ;D

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #15445 on: October 27, 2021, 10:19:02 am »
LED interior lighting conversion done on BMW - happy with the result and again no broken trim in the process (need to remove the whole dome light assembly to get the bulbs out safely).
Floor liners arrived as well and in the car.
Interior refreshment almost done but did more shopping in the meantime so one more item on order - new and nicer handbrake handle coming from Latvia in the next couple of weeks.

Hopefully will get around soon to do a proper S&S for the car.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 10:24:19 am by carcrazy »

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #15446 on: October 27, 2021, 10:31:59 am »
I ordered a rubber trunk liner for the hatch floor.  I went with the Mazda option from my local dealer.  It was reasonably priced at $135, which is about what a similar option from Weathertech would cost. 

I Put the dogs in the back hatch area, and they're starting to get the carpet back there really mucky.  It will only get worse as winter comes along. 

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15447 on: October 27, 2021, 11:13:38 am »
Just curious, did anyone here do a steering wheel wrap (stitched) specifically on a heated steering wheel?

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #15448 on: October 27, 2021, 11:25:51 am »
Just curious, did anyone here do a steering wheel wrap (stitched) specifically on a heated steering wheel?

I've done them on non-heated wheels; an MGB and the 85 Corvette. Great way to rejuvenate an old wheel for low $, but it is time consuming....Probably 2-3 hours to stitch the whole thing neatly.
I imagine installing on a heated wheel will rendering the heating function much less effective. 

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15449 on: October 27, 2021, 12:41:43 pm »

I've done them on non-heated wheels; an MGB and the 85 Corvette. Great way to rejuvenate an old wheel for low $, but it is time consuming....Probably 2-3 hours to stitch the whole thing neatly.
I imagine installing on a heated wheel will rendering the heating function much less effective.

Thanks for the feedback Firm. I wouldn't adventure to do the stitching myself but have it done professionally. But nevertheless, I think too it would impact the efficiency of the heater so need to balance cosmetics versus functionality. Probably just refinish existing would be the way to go especially it's not bad at all - just normal wear. Cheaper too I guess.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #15450 on: October 27, 2021, 02:16:33 pm »

Thanks for the feedback Firm. I wouldn't adventure to do the stitching myself but have it done professionally. But nevertheless, I think too it would impact the efficiency of the heater so need to balance cosmetics versus functionality. Probably just refinish existing would be the way to go especially it's not bad at all - just normal wear. Cheaper too I guess.
I don't think it would impact it that much. I've always had wheel/seat heaters that go higher than comfortable anyway. Just turn it up a notch.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #15451 on: October 28, 2021, 10:43:04 am »
Not sure how it happened, but my wife noticed the outer right taillight housing on the Odyssey is cracked. No impact tell-tale, but a big star nevertheless.

Browsing around, new oem assembly at a Toronto Honda dealer that sells parts online is 230$.

wrench monkey has the TYC jobber part for 146 CDN

rockauto, of course, has the very same TYC part for 50 CDN. Even with shipping and customs this should come in cheaper? I will first phone the dealer to see the local new part price, and see if I can find a used one. Two on marketplace are in Oshawa for 50$. If rockauto I'll check if I need anything else before ordering.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15452 on: October 28, 2021, 12:50:05 pm »
Not sure how it happened, but my wife noticed the outer right taillight housing on the Odyssey is cracked. No impact tell-tale, but a big star nevertheless.

Browsing around, new oem assembly at a Toronto Honda dealer that sells parts online is 230$.

rockauto, of course, has the very same TYC part for 50 CDN. Even with shipping and customs this should come in cheaper? I will first phone the dealer to see the local new part price, and see if I can find a used one. Two on marketplace are in Oshawa for 50$. If rockauto I'll check if I need anything else before ordering.

I ordered my brake parts from them last month and wasn't impressed with their service at all.  The pads i ordered were not in stock so they suggested another as a substitute and I agreed.  They first charged my credit card for the original part which was just under $60 more expensive than the substitute.  Took dozens of emails and at least as many phone calls before they finally credited my Visa.  They never responded to any of my inquiries and the phone calls all went to vm.  About 2 weeks later i get an email saying the credit was applied and a vague apology for taking so long.  Not sure what the issue was (CERB?) but didn't give me much confidence and I'll never deal with them again.  Figured I'd give them a tray cuz Canadian but not again. 

YMMV.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #15453 on: October 28, 2021, 01:32:25 pm »

I ordered my brake parts from them last month and wasn't impressed with their service at all.  The pads i ordered were not in stock so they suggested another as a substitute and I agreed.  They first charged my credit card for the original part which was just under $60 more expensive than the substitute.  Took dozens of emails and at least as many phone calls before they finally credited my Visa.  They never responded to any of my inquiries and the phone calls all went to vm.  About 2 weeks later i get an email saying the credit was applied and a vague apology for taking so long.  Not sure what the issue was (CERB?) but didn't give me much confidence and I'll never deal with them again.  Figured I'd give them a tray cuz Canadian but not again. 

YMMV.

Thanks for the advice! I'll check the Ody when the wife gets home to make sure nothing else needs to be swapped before ordering. No used parts pop up locally on search engines. New oem part at dealer is 240$  :P

Edit: rockauto is 81 CDN with shipping, and the part is from the oem supplier!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 01:35:12 pm by Blueprint »

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #15454 on: October 28, 2021, 03:22:59 pm »
Winter prepped the STI. Used Gyeon wet coat after the wash, including the rims. Awesome stuff with how easy to apply. Let's see how long the protection lasts.

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #15455 on: October 28, 2021, 03:29:45 pm »
Looks great at the moment, that's for sure

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #15456 on: October 28, 2021, 03:42:41 pm »
Winter prepped the STI. Used Gyeon wet coat after the wash, including the rims. Awesome stuff with how easy to apply. Let's see how long the protection lasts.

Such a nice colour...
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #15457 on: October 28, 2021, 03:49:56 pm »

Such a nice colour...

:iagree:
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #15458 on: October 28, 2021, 04:14:21 pm »
Thanks gents!  :cheers:

PJ, yeah it all goes downhill once they start salting the roads  :'(

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15459 on: October 28, 2021, 04:18:20 pm »
Nice. The Hikari is my fave colour.