Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3006435 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #15420 on: October 26, 2021, 10:41:24 am »
Shell still says 0% ethanol in premium right on the pump, as far as I know

Costco too, at least here in QC.

Canadian Tire here too, and the gap from 87 to 91 is the tightest, locally at least (Costco might be an exception, I don't use them).

But yeah, always store a car with a full tank and some stabilizer....I usually buy one of the big 1L bottles when they go on sale and it's typically enough to do all the cars I store + my lawn equipment.

I thought if you do a full tank of premium, you pretty much don't need stabilizer any more?

I've always done a full tank of premium plus stabilizer for my car, bikes, boat... never had an issue in the spring with any of them. The stabilizer is in there to help prevent the degradation and oxidization of the fuel over the winter months.
I've read regular fuel can be stored for 3 months with minimal/No degradation and premium for double that.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #15421 on: October 26, 2021, 10:46:23 am »

Canadian Tire here too, and the gap from 87 to 91 is the tightest, locally at least (Costco might be an exception, I don't use them).

But yeah, always store a car with a full tank and some stabilizer....I usually buy one of the big 1L bottles when they go on sale and it's typically enough to do all the cars I store + my lawn equipment.

I thought if you do a full tank of premium, you pretty much don't need stabilizer any more?

I've always done a full tank of premium plus stabilizer for my car, bikes, boat... never had an issue in the spring with any of them. The stabilizer is in there to help prevent the degradation and oxidization of the fuel over the winter months.

Yeah, I am not sure where the idea that you don't need stabilizer with premium came from....For the few dollars it costs, toss it in and then you know you're good.

Stabilizer is good, but it has it's limitations....2-3 years and even with stabilizer gas (even premium!) starts to sour. I've had it happen plenty in old carbureted cars, and they'll run a little rough until you get some fresh stuff in them, no biggie, but I wouldn't want to see what happens in a modern fuel injected unit.

One thing that's important is to run the engine a bit after you've put the stabilizer in to allow it to get into the line complete fuel system.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #15422 on: October 26, 2021, 10:51:17 am »

Yeah, I am not sure where the idea that you don't need stabilizer with premium came from....For the few dollars it costs, toss it in and then you know you're good.

Stabilizer is good, but it has it's limitations....2-3 years and even with stabilizer gas (even premium!) starts to sour. I've had it happen plenty in old carbureted cars, and they'll run a little rough until you get some fresh stuff in them, no biggie, but I wouldn't want to see what happens in a modern fuel injected unit.

One thing that's important is to run the engine a bit after you've put the stabilizer in to allow it to get into the line complete fuel system.

Probably because at one time many premiums didn't have ethanol. Now most do except for Co-op and Costco in these parts..

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15423 on: October 26, 2021, 10:52:46 am »

I read it from one of the manufacturers.

Now again...we're talking winter storage and not 2 year storage.

FWIW, Ive used K100 for long term fuel storage in the lawn mowers, snowblower, sled, etc
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 11:00:53 am by rrocket »

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #15424 on: October 26, 2021, 11:00:51 am »
Project Farm stabilizer test.
Coles Notes:
E85 is garbage with or without.
E10 is less garbage with but darn near no different than E10 without after 9 months - still 99% better than E85. (I had a mower sitting behind the garage for 2 yrs...old 87 oc gas and everything...started after two pulls and ran better than the new Husq/Honda we had bought two years earlier.  Maybe that's more of a Briggs & Stratton win  ;D.)
E0 is no different with or without stabilizer added.  So no, you don't need it if you stick premium fuel (if it's 0 ethanol) in your tank.

Big Take? Get premium no ethanol and nothing to worry about if parked for 6 months.  No need for any additives either.  Unless it just makes you feel better, like people putting 91 in a car designed to run it's best on 87. (though with ethanol in everything below 91, it's not like 87's any good anyway  :P)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15425 on: October 26, 2021, 11:03:03 am »
A quick sniff will let you know if you gas has turned. Only recent gasoline I have seen go south was the VP racing fuel we were blending while in Mexico.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #15426 on: October 26, 2021, 11:09:03 am »

It's just another snake oil product (like chain lube on sealed chains). For 99.9% of people, storing something with an ICE over Winter with a full tank of premium, they will start perfectly fine in the spring. You don't need stabilizer at all as modern fuels don't go off that quick.

Yes, if you're storing older vehicles for long periods maybe so. But IMHO it's just not needed for most people for mower, motorcycles, cars etc. Everything starts in the spring just fine. People keep using it for modern stuff because it's what their dad did.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15427 on: October 26, 2021, 11:15:12 am »

It's just another snake oil product (like chain lube on sealed chains). For 99.9% of people, storing something with an ICE over Winter with a full tank of premium, they will start perfectly fine in the spring. You don't need stabilizer at all as modern fuels don't go off that quick.

Yes, if you're storing older vehicles for long periods maybe so. But IMHO it's just not needed for most people for mower, motorcycles, cars etc. Everything starts in the spring just fine. People keep using it for modern stuff because it's what their dad did.
The only fuel I've constantly use stabilizer is for the snowblower..as it occasionally sits beyond a year with no use and with sleds because of questionable fuel off the trails.

But agree with everything else here.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15428 on: October 26, 2021, 11:48:54 am »
Smaller the engine the bigger the risk. Those little pilots and jets gum much more easily.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15429 on: October 26, 2021, 11:49:36 am »
Smaller the engine the bigger the risk. Those little pilots and jets gum much more easily.
Yea, some of those orifice are teeny tiny!

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #15430 on: October 26, 2021, 12:17:51 pm »
I find my 2-stoke stuff, even with stabilizer, tends to put up a fit after sitting for 6 months. Once it's going in the spring though it's fine for the rest of the season.

I'll keep using stabilizer, the $12 I spend a year on the 1L bottle isn't hurting me, and I've never had a problem with any of my stuff starting up after long sleeps. The Camaro, for example, had gas from 2016 when I put it back on the road this summer....I could smell the gas was a little off, but the stabilizer kept it good enough that I burn it through rather than pumping it out. Even modern stuff like the Sonoma....I only burnt half a tank in it this season, so when I stored it last weekend I topped it up with no-ethanol 91 and put some more stabilizer in it. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15431 on: October 26, 2021, 12:27:47 pm »
I find my 2-stoke stuff, even with stabilizer, tends to put up a fit after sitting for 6 months. Once it's going in the spring though it's fine for the rest of the season.

I'll keep using stabilizer, the $12 I spend a year on the 1L bottle isn't hurting me, and I've never had a problem with any of my stuff starting up after long sleeps. The Camaro, for example, had gas from 2016 when I put it back on the road this summer....I could smell the gas was a little off, but the stabilizer kept it good enough that I burn it through rather than pumping it out. Even modern stuff like the Sonoma....I only burnt half a tank in it this season, so when I stored it last weekend I topped it up with no-ethanol 91 and put some more stabilizer in it.
I've found synthetic 2 stroke oil seems to mitigate those issues.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #15432 on: October 26, 2021, 12:31:09 pm »
Yea, some of those orifice are teeny tiny!

That's what she said.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #15433 on: October 26, 2021, 12:51:19 pm »

Maybe, I've been operating from the the same two open quarts of generic 2-stoke oil for years  ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15434 on: October 26, 2021, 03:01:59 pm »

Maybe, I've been operating from the the same two open quarts of generic 2-stoke oil for years  ;D
The stuff I use the recommended ratio is 100:1 regardless of what the original ratio was for the tool.

Seems to work as I haven't seized anything. No clogging, very very little smoke and smell.

Online draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #15435 on: October 26, 2021, 03:29:50 pm »

The stuff I use the recommended ratio is 100:1 regardless of what the original ratio was for the tool.

Seems to work as I haven't seized anything. No clogging, very very little smoke and smell.

But thats the best part of a 2-stroke engine  ;D
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #15436 on: October 26, 2021, 03:42:23 pm »

What is this magical oil you are speaking of?
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15437 on: October 26, 2021, 04:18:30 pm »

Amsoil Sabre.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15438 on: October 26, 2021, 04:20:28 pm »

But thats the best part of a 2-stroke engine  ;D
Simpler best smelling 2 stroke smell ever!

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #15439 on: October 26, 2021, 04:30:35 pm »

Amsoil Sabre.

Ah, never heard of it, see its listed under power equipment and not power sports.