Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3006476 times)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #15380 on: October 25, 2021, 09:04:05 am »
Did you consider/test anything else?

Didn't look at much actually. I always have a list in my head so just did online pricing for the options we wanted and went from there. Add in the fact that we are going economy car with great f/e and high reliability, it doesn't leave much.

Mazda 3 Sport or CX30. For the 3 inventory for what we wanted came up empty. Lots of GT trims around though. CX30 I would want AWD so price goes above the budget. Both cars are also less efficient and if going for efficiency, every point counts.  ;D

Would have liked a Subaru Crosstrek but the only model that comes with the 2.5 and sunroof is the top trim which puts it way over our budget.

Didn't look at anything VW because we would like a change.

Probably the laziest effort I've ever put into buying a car.

Was there any hybrids available ?

A few RAV4 Hybrids show up online but I didn't look around the lot which looked very empty.

What color did you get?

White....again.

Any hints on engine size ?

If this was for me, the 2.0, had no interest in the base 1.8 engine. Car is slow enough.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #15381 on: October 25, 2021, 09:21:13 am »
Nothing wrong with the new Corolla.  No doubt it'll be just as reliable and last you the similar 13 years, the big question is, how long before you become bored with it and choose to go with something else?  Stepping down from a GTI to a Corolla is a pretty big difference in the "fun to drive" section.  But I'm sure either way you'll enjoy your new ride and taking any VW over the 300K mark is an accomplishment in itself.

Not only getting over 300K on a VW but with minimal financial burden.  ;D

The fun to drive part will be interesting. For 98% of our driving I honestly think it won't make a difference. We have a few places in the city we need to go and the rest we spend either on the 401 going to/from London with the cruise set at 119 kph. The other is back roads going to small towns for coffee/treats/hiking/cycling where the cruise is set at 93 kph. It isn't like SW Ontario is filled with mountain switchbacks to get our heart rate up.

Ron has assured me that the new TNGA platform will keep me happy and I won't be missing much. Since I have a bunch of driving to do this week, I'll have a very good idea where the differences are and I will try to offer up an unbiased opinion but I have a feeling that compared to a 13 year old GTI, it should do very well.

I know for the those few times when I do dial up all the power, I will miss the feeling of boost that comes from the GTI. For the rest of the time while in traffic, the car drove just like a diesel as the tach never crossed 3K because everybody in front of me drives so slow.

One thing I'm looking forward to is spending $30 less PER fill up yet being able to go 150-200 km further.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #15382 on: October 25, 2021, 09:54:58 am »
Have to say I've gotten very fond of radar cruise in the RX. A new Corolla should have an even better system (maybe works down to zero?)

The auto braking system also does give piece of mind, it's warning function has kicked in a few times for us so far.

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #15383 on: October 25, 2021, 10:15:49 am »
Have to say I've gotten very fond of radar cruise in the RX. A new Corolla should have an even better system (maybe works down to zero?)

The auto braking system also does give piece of mind, it's warning function has kicked in a few times for us so far.

Totally agree.  People drive such varied speeds around here that I always found regular cruise control to be pointless. Radar/adaptive cruise was a game changer for me.

I was also not totally convinced on the auto braking systems, but at least twice I've been cut off my someone running a stop sign and the auto braking kicked in faster than my reflexes did.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #15384 on: October 25, 2021, 10:19:56 am »
Nothing wrong with the new Corolla.  No doubt it'll be just as reliable and last you the similar 13 years, the big question is, how long before you become bored with it and choose to go with something else?  Stepping down from a GTI to a Corolla is a pretty big difference in the "fun to drive" section.  But I'm sure either way you'll enjoy your new ride and taking any VW over the 300K mark is an accomplishment in itself.

Not only getting over 300K on a VW but with minimal financial burden.  ;D

The fun to drive part will be interesting. For 98% of our driving I honestly think it won't make a difference. We have a few places in the city we need to go and the rest we spend either on the 401 going to/from London with the cruise set at 119 kph. The other is back roads going to small towns for coffee/treats/hiking/cycling where the cruise is set at 93 kph. It isn't like SW Ontario is filled with mountain switchbacks to get our heart rate up.

Ron has assured me that the new TNGA platform will keep me happy and I won't be missing much. Since I have a bunch of driving to do this week, I'll have a very good idea where the differences are and I will try to offer up an unbiased opinion but I have a feeling that compared to a 13 year old GTI, it should do very well.

I know for the those few times when I do dial up all the power, I will miss the feeling of boost that comes from the GTI. For the rest of the time while in traffic, the car drove just like a diesel as the tach never crossed 3K because everybody in front of me drives so slow.

One thing I'm looking forward to is spending $30 less PER fill up yet being able to go 150-200 km further.

My guess is you'll spend on average about HALF on gas what you were spending in the GTI.  The Corolla is renowned to be a fuel efficiency beast, even in regular non-hybrid trim, and not having to pony up for premium will make a big difference, too. 

Me thinks you'll miss the low down torque of the GTI.  I'm going to guess that the 2.0 in the Corolla is similar in character to the 2.0 in my Mazda - i.e. there isn't much there.  Like it's fine and all, but man you really gotta plan your passes and merges. 

Did you go manual transmission, or CVT?

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #15385 on: October 25, 2021, 10:53:24 am »
Was getting curious on how far you were going to push the GTI, sounds like it had a good run though. Corolla will be 'fine', the way gas prices are right now it's sounding even better than fine, lol.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #15386 on: October 25, 2021, 12:05:00 pm »
Damn, sorry to see the GTi go, I really loved mine, such a great car.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #15387 on: October 25, 2021, 01:00:11 pm »
Washed them

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #15388 on: October 25, 2021, 01:28:09 pm »
lookin good  ;D
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #15389 on: October 25, 2021, 01:55:54 pm »

Oh ya, a picture. This sums it up.

What is this new trend of ppl here buying boring Toyotas  ;)  ;D

Congrats on the purchase!
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #15390 on: October 25, 2021, 02:02:37 pm »

I've noticed trends on this forum for a while now.  First it was Subaru Crosstreks.  Then it was Golf R's.  Lately it's been Jetta GLI's.  Now it's Toyotas I guess.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #15391 on: October 25, 2021, 02:06:02 pm »

I've noticed trends on this forum for a while now.  First it was Subaru Crosstreks.  Then it was Golf R's.  Lately it's been Jetta GLI's.  Now it's Toyotas I guess.
Oh crap, I'm part of the problem, first I bought a Golf R, then a GLI, and lastly a Toyota Rav4 Hybrid. 

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #15392 on: October 25, 2021, 02:52:57 pm »
Wheel dollies for IQs IS300 came in the mail today.

I'll be able to push her car way off to one side of the garage for the winter now.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #15393 on: October 25, 2021, 03:06:41 pm »
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #15394 on: October 25, 2021, 03:19:22 pm »

I'll be able to push her car way off to one side of the garage for the winter now.

Those things are a god-send. I started using the 'go-jack' style where the dollies also jack the car up, but they're expensive and kinda bulky. Now I've got a few sets of the plain dollies; cheap, light weight, use a floor jack to lift the car, throw the dollies under and you're good to go

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15395 on: October 25, 2021, 03:33:05 pm »

Those things are a god-send. I started using the 'go-jack' style where the dollies also jack the car up, but they're expensive and kinda bulky. Now I've got a few sets of the plain dollies; cheap, light weight, use a floor jack to lift the car, throw the dollies under and you're good to go
That's what I did.

Bought a set of these.

Pentagon 83-DT5500 5050 Tool | Premium 2-Pack | Car Dolly-Tire Skates Red https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B076CP9RD2/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_03D2XXB2NH8WA7ASEERN

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #15396 on: October 25, 2021, 04:35:30 pm »
Once upon  a time there were a couple or maybe more models of cars with built in jacking.    I am not thinking of Citroen neat way to do one wheel. Can anyone remember?
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15397 on: October 25, 2021, 08:42:08 pm »
Washed them

Sharp looking vehicle.

Thanks. 150K km on the clock so far.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15398 on: October 25, 2021, 08:48:00 pm »
Once upon  a time there were a couple or maybe more models of cars with built in jacking.    I am not thinking of Citroen neat way to do one wheel. Can anyone remember?

Citroen did it with the Hydropneumatic suspension. Built in jacks were not uncommon on pre-WW2 high ends cars though.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15399 on: October 25, 2021, 08:57:58 pm »
Washed them

Sharp looking vehicle.

Thanks. 150K km on the clock so far.

Yea...looks clean and well cared for!   :thumbup: