Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3006481 times)

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #15360 on: October 24, 2021, 05:52:55 pm »
Nice!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #15361 on: October 24, 2021, 06:06:55 pm »
Cleaned it out one last time  :'(

Moving on to something interesting? Or did the GTI finally mile out?

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #15362 on: October 24, 2021, 07:34:14 pm »
Yeah, what's up?  ???  I remember you posting a while ago about something possibly major (transmission?), but if there was a resolution, I missed it.

Mine's still going strong, but only has 180,000 km. Still have my Fast, too, but it just sits in a closet in the garage.  :-\

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #15363 on: October 24, 2021, 08:37:09 pm »
Trying to find OEM winter wheels for the Mazda is a lesson in frustration. 

I found some on Friday off a Mazda3 for $200, made an offer at $150, which was accepted, and made arrangements to pick them up Saturday afternoon.  Then, late Friday, the guy messages me and says the wheels are sold and gone.  Well, crap.  Kinda pissed me off.  I mean once you have a handshake deal, that usually means something.  If he was offered more money, he could have let me know.  I was willing to pay more.  $150 was merely an opening offer that was accepted immediately. 

So then I started looking on Kijiji and FB Marketplace Saturday morning.  I found some 16" wheels off a Mazda6 for $100 and messaged the guy.  Took him about two hours to get back to me, said they were still available, and the price was firm.  I responded immediately, saying I was fine with the price, and could I come take a look at them.  Over 24 hours later he finally gets back to me, and says he's selling them for his Dad, who is storing them at his cabin, and maybe he'll make a run up there to grab them sometime in the future?  WTF?  Why bother listing something if you don't have possession of it? 

FINALLY, I found some nice ones off a Mazda3 for $200.  I messaged the guy Friday night, and he finally gets back to me Sunday afternoon.  He's 45 min out of town, but whatever, I'll make the drive to go get them.  They look decent enough.  I guess I"m taking a drive on Monday after work.

I've never had this much trouble buying anything off a buy/sell.  Usually the transactions are quick and simple.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #15364 on: October 24, 2021, 09:28:40 pm »
The leak in the rear main seal is slowly getting worse so we decided it was time to move on. Park the car and instant puddle about 6 x 2 inches. If I wanted to add this much oil, I'd drive a RX8.  :P

Since we never had any plans of fixing it, plus with 310,000 km on the car which is till running on the original water pump, alternator, timing chain (which is near it stretch limit), turbo (who knows when that will blow), we really can't complain. Next to the carbon cleaning and intake manifold replacement. I can't think of anything major that was done to the car besides regular maintenance. This has been one reliable VW.

The car is still fun to drive but the suspension would also need to be replaced as you can really feel it on anything except smooth pavement. The DSG still bangs of lightning quick shifts once you let it warm up a little. Had a +1 tune done around 75K and it saw the rev limiter many, many times over the years.

If anybody is looking for a parts car, I have a great deal for you.

As to what is next, this is from the brochure.

If you’re looking for excitement behind the wheel, the agile and responsive yet refined driving dynamics create an engaging drive. Its streamlined exterior includes aero-stabilizing fins and a finely tuned underbody that help to enhance handling and improve fuel efficiency. Its spirited feel is thanks to a multilink rear suspension, improved shock absorbers, and Active Cornering Assist that help to create exceptional handling, stability, and ride comfort.

Sound fun right? Not even close. We have decided to go with an economy car that is great on gas, should last 20 years, and is cheap to maintain. If there was one available in beige, I would have gotten it. Yes, that is right, a Corolla.

On a side note, pretty scary how empty some dealers lots are right now.

Oh ya, a picture. This sums it up.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15365 on: October 24, 2021, 09:46:14 pm »
Sounds like you had a great experience with the GTI.  And Congrats on the new Corolla

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #15366 on: October 24, 2021, 09:56:03 pm »
Good move. My old B2000 never gave much trouble until 399,000. Then it needed a clutch, then a carb, then headers, then the driveshaft redone, plus all kinds of little things.

Did get another 3 years out of it but if I wasn't broke at the time 399 would have been the sweet spot to pull the pin

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #15367 on: October 24, 2021, 10:04:50 pm »
I will say, there's is some merit to "boring" in a family duty car.

My Prime will never be confused with "exciting", but we've been very pleased with everything it offers. I suspect, while not thrilling, you'll be just fine in the Corolla.

I know I sound like a broken record, but the new TNGA platform is miles and miles from the "old" Toyota.

Congrats! Can't wait to see it.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #15368 on: October 24, 2021, 10:24:48 pm »
Ah right, RMS. I remember now. Still somewhat surprised it’s not worth fixing.  :(

I’m still planning on getting a few more years out of mine. Some days I think that a Corolla hatchback with the manual would be a smart (and fun-ish  :-\ ) replacement.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #15369 on: October 24, 2021, 10:28:13 pm »
quad did you end up with the hatch at least?

Different price bracket but I'd always figured you'd end up in a v60 or the likes. I guess in 20 years  ;D

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #15370 on: October 24, 2021, 10:54:24 pm »
I think the RMS was around $2-3k but if doing that then I would replace all the other stuff and it just kept getting more and more expensive. Then the suspension. All that money for a 13 year old car just isn't worth it to me. Even though we still love the GTI, it would be nice to have something different. 13 years is a long time.

We got the sedan because the hatch is too small, even smaller than the GTI which already has a small trunk. It actually feels more like a Yaris in size. Plus with the hatch you can't get a sunroof which is something we enjoy.

A V60CC would have been great but that would be another $25-30K. Set a budget and stuck to it. Do wish Toyota gave us the full wagon version though.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #15371 on: October 25, 2021, 07:57:37 am »
Oh yeah, I'd buy a Corolla wagon in a heartbeat.

Congrats on the new ride. Did you consider/test anything else?
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #15372 on: October 25, 2021, 08:01:27 am »
Put in some weathertechs in the 4Runner. Just waiting for winter tires on OEM TRD Pro black wheels to arrive :)
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15373 on: October 25, 2021, 08:02:38 am »
Put in some weathertechs in the 4Runner. Just waiting for winter tires on OEM TRD Pro black wheels to arrive :)

Those wheels can't have been cheap!  They look amazing, though.  Forged BBS!

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #15374 on: October 25, 2021, 08:19:27 am »

Those wheels can't have been cheap!  They look amazing, though.  Forged BBS!

Not that bad actually. I think they were $1300 tax in but while OEM I can't imagine they're forged BBS.

I figured I'd splurge a bit on the winter tire setup plus it should look hot with all the black out treatment on the Off Road. I'll post some pics once they're on.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #15375 on: October 25, 2021, 08:20:45 am »
Really crappy time to get a new car because of lack of supply
Was by the local Toyota dealer and the lot was 75% empty
Was there any hybrids available ?

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #15376 on: October 25, 2021, 08:23:25 am »
I will say, there's is some merit to "boring" in a family duty car.

My Prime will never be confused with "exciting", but we've been very pleased with everything it offers. I suspect, while not thrilling, you'll be just fine in the Corolla.

I know I sound like a broken record, but the new TNGA platform is miles and miles from the "old" Toyota.

Congrats! Can't wait to see it.
^^Same here - I enjoy driving Mrs. Railtons QX60 around for the comfort. Geeez...I must be getting old.
Well done Derek! :cheers:
What color did you get?
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #15377 on: October 25, 2021, 08:27:45 am »
I think the RMS was around $2-3k but if doing that then I would replace all the other stuff and it just kept getting more and more expensive. Then the suspension. All that money for a 13 year old car just isn't worth it to me. Even though we still love the GTI, it would be nice to have something different. 13 years is a long time.

We got the sedan because the hatch is too small, even smaller than the GTI which already has a small trunk. It actually feels more like a Yaris in size. Plus with the hatch you can't get a sunroof which is something we enjoy.

A V60CC would have been great but that would be another $25-30K. Set a budget and stuck to it. Do wish Toyota gave us the full wagon version though.
Nothing wrong with the new Corolla.  No doubt it'll be just as reliable and last you the similar 13 years, the big question is, how long before you become bored with it and choose to go with something else?  Stepping down from a GTI to a Corolla is a pretty big difference in the "fun to drive" section.  But I'm sure either way you'll enjoy your new ride and taking any VW over the 300K mark is an accomplishment in itself.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #15378 on: October 25, 2021, 08:53:35 am »
 Any hints on engine size ?
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #15379 on: October 25, 2021, 09:00:21 am »
Decided to play body man and sanded off some rust bubbles on the Sonic, cleaned it as good as I thought was good enough, and sprayed it with some Rust Check primer. 
Put it in the garage...that was yesterday afternoon...and it's still sticky this AM.  :rofl: I think this might turn into a longer project than I hoped!  Maybe I'll go fire up the old diesel heater to get some temperature in the garage.  Probably should've done this when it was still 20 outside instead of only 7.   ;D