Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3006825 times)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #15240 on: September 29, 2021, 10:37:54 am »
Maybe I missed it, but why didn't you go for a trailer hitch style one??

I need to transport the canoe, therefore a roof rack was going on anyway. 

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #15241 on: September 30, 2021, 03:36:46 pm »
washed the "white bullet"....   ..that sounds so weird...  i'm just gonna call my car 'the frog'.

couple weeks ago, i think?.

figured out how to use soap dispensing mode on my pressure washer, so it's pretty convenient. supposedly only for "pressure washer compatible" cleaner, but i just use my regular car soap.  i like that car wash soap leaves little bit of protective coating so i can spray underside since i can't wax the bottom of the car.

haven't had the car-dying-on-the-road repeat since i changed Crank position sensor, so it's either fixed, or it just hasn't been hot enough. 

headlight aim is perfect now, so i get even, wide light distribution.  love it.

wish it was little louder every now and then, but oh well.  still loving it.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #15242 on: September 30, 2021, 04:21:50 pm »
Winding down the car season here....always a sad time of the year, but the weather has been OK so trying to enjoy some of the cars as much as possible.

Few updates

Sold the Corvette - off to Ottawa. It was fun to have around for the summer, and I'd love to have a nice C4 in the permanent stable someday, but I am maxed out on parking, and this car just wasn't 'special' enough to keep around. Fun car though, and I already miss it. Has a way of making you feel like an 80's rockstar jut getting into it.

Took the Firebird (and family) to Oblivion a few weeks ago and had a blast....Great to see a lot of familiar faces. It was a great venue, only about 10 minutes from home, and they had stuff to keep the kids happy....a playground, hula hoops (Mrs.Firm was more into that than the kid), candy shop, 90's style arcade setup, etc. We brought a second car anticipating that the wife and kid would want to leave early, but everyone was enjoying themselves so much that 4:00 came quickly.
If I'd have known I would've brought the Camaro too...but oh well. I think this was the first time ever that the Firebird has been in a 'show'...felt a little weird as it was only a couple years ago that we were commuting in it - year round.

At the last minute I threw Firm Jr's Corvette into the truck and brought it....glad I did, he loved having it at the show and it got lots of smiles.

Lotta people even got dressed up for the event, including Mrs.Firm and the kid

For less exciting stuff...I got the Camaro and the Firebird both stored for winter already, just needed them out of my way. Rotated the tires and on the Escalade (way over due) and got an alignment done on the DTS (at TheHires' shop) so my 'eyeball' front end alignment from replacing the struts last year doesn't ruin the new tires.

Lastly, I washed the Sonoma to get the season's worth of dust off of it and gave it a quick wax. Another few weeks and I'll tuck this one away too.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #15243 on: September 30, 2021, 04:34:59 pm »
^ Nice!  I'm still considering an SLK55 AMG as a possible purchase but they are a rare beast around these parts.  Only ever seen one around here.

Changed the rear pads and rotors on the GS-350 this morning.  Driver's side started making noise last week so i ordered a new set of pads and rotors as they were due for replacement.  Found that one of the slider pins for the driver's side caliper was completely seized in the open position and only the inner pad was getting use.  The inner pad was completely worn with just a thin film of brake material left and the outer one still had decent padding.  In the photo the inner pad is on top, the outer in the middle, and new pad below.  Had to order a new caliper assembly from the dealer as none of the local parts place I tried could even order them.  Should be here Monday. 

« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 04:51:48 pm by KD »

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #15244 on: September 30, 2021, 09:38:23 pm »
today had a plan to take my wife out for a fun day... was going to have the Jeep pretty loaded up. turns out my sons class has a case of covid (luckily, we had him out of school for a few days, RIGHT when it happened) so they had today off too...

ended up cramming two bikes on the hitch, two paddleboards (inflatable) inside, my sons bike inside, his kayak, some frolf disks and more random picnic stuff and went out as a group. heck of a day, but got it all in there and felt quite accomplished to have so much fun crammed in a Jeep!

... now my daughter is mad she couldn't join us.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #15245 on: September 30, 2021, 09:42:02 pm »
some frolf disks

Is that Frisbee golf??
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #15246 on: September 30, 2021, 10:19:10 pm »
went for a drive.

hit a wild animal for the first time EVER in my life.

and it facking cracked my bumper.

now i regret going for a drive.

i didn't even see the rabbit at all.  jumped in from the left side, when i'm going 80 km/h on country lane...
checked my dashcam footage to find the rabbit.   

fack...  now what do i do?

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #15247 on: September 30, 2021, 10:23:03 pm »
^ Nice!  I'm still considering an SLK55 AMG as a possible purchase but they are a rare beast around these parts.  Only ever seen one around here.

Changed the rear pads and rotors on the GS-350 this morning.  Driver's side started making noise last week so i ordered a new set of pads and rotors as they were due for replacement.  Found that one of the slider pins for the driver's side caliper was completely seized in the open position and only the inner pad was getting use.  The inner pad was completely worn with just a thin film of brake material left and the outer one still had decent padding.  In the photo the inner pad is on top, the outer in the middle, and new pad below.  Had to order a new caliper assembly from the dealer as none of the local parts place I tried could even order them.  Should be here Monday.
Mine is up for sale...just saying...

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15248 on: September 30, 2021, 10:27:43 pm »
went for a drive.

hit a wild animal for the first time EVER in my life.

and it facking cracked my bumper.

now i regret going for a drive.

i didn't even see the rabbit at all.  jumped in from the left side, when i'm going 80 km/h on country lane...
checked my dashcam footage to find the rabbit.   

fack...  now what do i do?

I've seen a few used bumpers for SLK's on Kijiji

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15249 on: September 30, 2021, 10:31:36 pm »

what!? 

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #15251 on: September 30, 2021, 10:53:44 pm »

what!?

Covid pricing... https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/ottawa/2006-mercedes-slk-55-amg/1586253463

Jeez, those pics are worse than Ron's!  ;) ;) ;)

Seriously, sad you're getting rid of it but this is absolutely a seller's market. If you can make a few bucks or even break even after having enjoyed the car, you're doing great!
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15252 on: September 30, 2021, 11:05:33 pm »

what!?

Covid pricing... https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/ottawa/2006-mercedes-slk-55-amg/1586253463

Jeez, those pics are worse than Ron's!  ;) ;) ;)

Seriously, sad you're getting rid of it but this is absolutely a seller's market. If you can make a few bucks or even break even after having enjoyed the car, you're doing great!

WTF!?!? Really???  :rofl2:

Not getting rid of it per say... if it sells, it sells... if it doesn't, it's all good. I've got it priced in line with what others are asking, way over what I paid...  :rofl:

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #15253 on: September 30, 2021, 11:23:29 pm »
Ordered a few things for the V8 Vantage that I've wanted to do to personalize it to my taste since I bought it. Totally reversible, though I really don't care since this car's a lifer for me. 

-Aston Martin Racing grille (it's a black carbon mesh grille to replace the dated six-bar one)
-Clear taillights from the 2010+ model
-Vantage N400 side skirts
-Forged carbon interior trim

The only thing I'm humming/hawing about is the Aston DBS shift knob. It's gorgeous, stainless steel, but f*** me it's expensive.

Going after this look:

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #15254 on: October 01, 2021, 12:07:20 am »
^^^Gawd those are gorgeous cars.

Please update us with pics when you've completed the mods.  We don't get nearly enough Aston pics.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #15255 on: October 01, 2021, 01:13:52 am »
All you guys with your cool cars…pfft. :)

Good luck with the sale Gurgie.

Did the spark plugs and engine air filter on the Tundra. Denso parts from Rockauto. Interestingly, the air filter I had in there was a Fram, and it was absolutely identical in every way to the Denso. Even down to the mould marks on the rubber seal.

The plugs were original Denso Iridium with 215k on them. I replaced them with the same model. The ones I pulled looked good considering the mileage on them. Job was very straightforward, only had to remove the air cleaner cover to gain access to the passenger side plugs. Each plug released easily with little effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 01:16:12 am by bridgecity »
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #15256 on: October 01, 2021, 06:29:48 am »

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
I love it when a plan comes together.

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15258 on: October 01, 2021, 07:39:12 am »

what!?

We should all bother Gurgie with ridiculously low ball offers...
Oh I had one for $20k within minutes of posting the ad :rofl: 

I don't think it will sell, haven't had any serious interest, but I do have it priced in line with what others are asking. So who knows?

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #15259 on: October 01, 2021, 08:14:13 am »
The plugs were original Denso Iridium with 215k on them.

I have the same plugs in the Highlander, currently at 205k km or so.  I'll be getting them changed out shortly.  Did you notice any difference with the new plugs?

We should all bother Gurgie with ridiculously low ball offers...

I'm offering some peanut butter on a playing card and a package of sugar twin.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.