Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3006974 times)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #15220 on: September 27, 2021, 11:57:35 am »
Contemplating putting the Fusion up for sale...  :'( :-\

Sent the truck to the bodyshop this AM to get the cab corners/rockers replaced...they're not rusted through...but I can't stand looking at it and he said there was no point in a small repair, it won't last long.  Also said no point in doing only the corners, even if the rockers look OK now, they're not far behind, and IIRC he said it was easier to do all of it anyway.  Cheaper than a new truck!  ::) :P

You should do it.  If it doesn't get driven, and it's not a future classic, then what's the point in having money sitting on its ass in the garage? At least this way you get a little money in your pocket, and bonus, you open up a spot in your garage for your son to park his Mustang. 

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #15221 on: September 27, 2021, 12:08:46 pm »
He already tried to park it in there yesterday...did something on his car...then left it there with mine sitting on the lawn.  :rofl:  I moved it when he wasn't looking...not yet buddy.  :stfu:  And if I could sell mine...I still have the Sonic...so  ;D I'm 100% WFH now...so yeah, the KM's will not rack up much on the Fusion going forward.  I need a car(she hates cars)/SUV hybrid/EV my wife would drive so the truck can be the one sitting in the garage until it's needed. 

Maybe I can trade it for a boat...or a Seadoo...or a motorcycle...be like Jaeger and start riding (again) in my 50's.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #15222 on: September 27, 2021, 12:18:48 pm »
How long are those 4X4's? Eights or tens?

8'ers.  The fence is only 4' high, basically just to keep the dog in, so 8' was fine.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #15223 on: September 27, 2021, 02:09:24 pm »
Contemplating putting the Fusion up for sale...  :'( :-\

Sent the truck to the bodyshop this AM to get the cab corners/rockers replaced...they're not rusted through...but I can't stand looking at it and he said there was no point in a small repair, it won't last long.  Also said no point in doing only the corners, even if the rockers look OK now, they're not far behind, and IIRC he said it was easier to do all of it anyway.  Cheaper than a new truck!  ::) :P

Cab corners / rockers replaced ? That truck isn't that old.  You  never undercoated it ?
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15224 on: September 27, 2021, 02:32:18 pm »
2013 - parked in a garage, short commutes...hardly ever on a gravel road in its life.  I'm going to blame my overly-humid garage.  It's like the box on a RAM - the rust is common in the corners of an F150.  Something about water draining from the roof down the seams...I think.  I plan to hit the back with a couple cans of box liner from Cdn Tire when it's done...hope that helps it last a little longer.  Maybe also run a dehumidifier in the garage in winter or install a bathroom ceiling fan and run it all winter.  Maybe my doors won't always freeze to the cement then, too.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #15225 on: September 27, 2021, 02:56:12 pm »
 ^^ You probably wouldn't worry about those conditions if it was regularly undercoated. My 23 year old truck which has not lead a charmed life
 has no rust in those areas. I have Krowned it many times under my ownership.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #15226 on: September 27, 2021, 04:11:19 pm »
Those F-150's rot bad, but unlike the Rams which rot in very visible areas, the Ford's rust where it's not seen until it's too late. My FIL has a 2009, low kms (maybe 130K) but no oil spray, never washed (literally he's owned it since new and has never washed it) and it sits outside. It's a total rot box...rockers and cab corners are gone (but you can hardly tell from looking at the exterior) and now the rear fender wells are getting pretty bad. 

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #15227 on: September 27, 2021, 04:25:57 pm »
Undercoating treatments such as Krown haven't been available here is SK until recently (last few years).  Maybe similar in MB?  It's something that most people around here have never heard of.  I only know of Krown or similar because of this forum.  I see now that two locations in Saskatoon are offering Krown.  I should call for pricing.  What's the typical application cost out east?
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #15228 on: September 27, 2021, 04:39:56 pm »
Undercoating treatments such as Krown haven't been available here is SK until recently (last few years).  Maybe similar in MB?  It's something that most people around here have never heard of.  I only know of Krown or similar because of this forum.  I see now that two locations in Saskatoon are offering Krown.  I should call for pricing.  What's the typical application cost out east?

Varies by vehicle size usually, I see $100-$150 range with compact usually on the low end and trucks/large SUV on the high end.

I'll be getting both of the Caddy's done in the next few weeks.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15229 on: September 27, 2021, 05:41:51 pm »
I didn't even know what Krown was either 'til a few years ago from this forum.  Not living in the city...maybe doesn't help?  Probably a place or two in Wpg does it, I would imagine. 

If the video of their product on YT is factual...pretty good stuff.  I'm still going to hit the back of it and if I can get inside of it with a can or 2 of box liner...that should be even better than just Krown - no?  ???  Maybe I can get Tundra money for it... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl2: :rofl: :rofl2:  :fall:

New truck = $70G - just fix whatcha got.  :P

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #15230 on: September 27, 2021, 05:48:27 pm »
I didn't even know what Krown was either 'til a few years ago from this forum.  Not living in the city...maybe doesn't help?  Probably a place or two in Wpg does it, I would imagine. 

If the video of their product on YT is factual...pretty good stuff.  I'm still going to hit the back of it and if I can get inside of it with a can or 2 of box liner...that should be even better than just Krown - no?  ???  Maybe I can get Tundra money for it... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl2: :rofl: :rofl2:  :fall:

New truck = $70G - just fix whatcha got.  :P

Most trucks have access plugs in the inside of the rockers you can pull out to spray inside, or drain holes that are large enough to get a nozzle in. Instead of using bedliner/rocker guard, which won't stick well in there and may actually trap more moisture, I'd get a can or two of the aerosol oil sprays and go at it. Escalade has decent access to the inside of the rockers through some plugs and drain holes, and even though I bring it to my local Rust Check place for treatment annually, I still spray some of these aerosol oil sprays in there twice a year.

I use this one for inside panels or areas where it may be kinda visible because it's clear (between bumper to fender gaps on a car)
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/rust-cure-formula-3000-14-oz-0477985p.html?_br_psugg_q=rust+cure

And this one is better for undercarriage where it's exposed to water spray
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/rust-check-coat-protect-350-g-0477921p.html

Edit: It's also important to make sure your rain holes in the rocker/cab corners are clear. I actually use those red straws from the above cans to go around and hole all the drain holes I can find a few times a year to make sure they stay clear - you'd be surprised how easily they get blocked up and hold water.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 05:50:18 pm by Firm »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #15231 on: September 28, 2021, 07:48:23 am »
Locally a 1/2 ton costs $150. plus tax or $120 CASH.  Small towns are great.  :)  (13% sales tax in Ontario).

I got the son's 2020 XLT SCREW done in August.  They really coated it.  Deadsville in August.  Come September these shops get really busy so they don't have the extra time to spend on them.  Avoid the fall if possible.

Probably will Krown that F150 every other year.  You can buy Krown by the gallon and fire it in yourself via air compressor.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #15232 on: September 28, 2021, 08:49:20 am »
You can buy Krown by the gallon and fire it in yourself via air compressor.

For $150 why bother, let someone else get covered in oil.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #15233 on: September 28, 2021, 09:16:26 am »

Well it's actually $169.50.  But that's besides the point.  More a matter of convenience.  If Sask has only 2 Krowns who is going to drive a vehicle 100 hundreds of miles to get the vehicle sprayed.  Requires an appointment and then the usual wait past the appointment time.  What if you have two or more vehicles?  There is a reason they sell it in bulk.  It's not only for cars.  Sure, if all you have is typical short residential driveway then spraying Krown is not really an option.  But if you've got a large property and a proper air compressor it's easy.  You know the proper amount was applied.  Many Krown shops go to lite on the spray to increase margins.

It's all about DIY.  You've got ppl that cram 4 dirty winter tires into their vehicle twice a year, go to the garage, stand around forever and then you have those that just change them in their driveways. 

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15234 on: September 28, 2021, 10:59:43 am »
Roof Rack came in:

I'm still waiting on the trays.  Aside from the tax/duty error (which still isn't resolved, and is annoying), the rack was delivered two days early, and with all the necessary pieces required for install.  I took the car for a drive on the highway to see how noisy they would be, and I'm happy to say that because of the aero shape, they're not loud at all.  I can hear a bit of a 'whoosh' when the sunroof shade is open, but if I close the sunshade, then I can't hear anything at all.  I'm expecting it to get a little noisier when I install the bike trays, but I think anytime I plan on doing a large highway trip without the bikes, I'll remove the trays.  The rack, however, will likely just stay on the car indefinitely. 

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #15235 on: September 28, 2021, 01:58:44 pm »

Well it's actually $169.50.  But that's besides the point.  More a matter of convenience.  If Sask has only 2 Krowns who is going to drive a vehicle 100 hundreds of miles to get the vehicle sprayed.  Requires an appointment and then the usual wait past the appointment time.  What if you have two or more vehicles?  There is a reason they sell it in bulk.  It's not only for cars.  Sure, if all you have is typical short residential driveway then spraying Krown is not really an option.  But if you've got a large property and a proper air compressor it's easy.  You know the proper amount was applied.  Many Krown shops go to lite on the spray to increase margins.

It's all about DIY.  You've got ppl that cram 4 dirty winter tires into their vehicle twice a year, go to the garage, stand around forever and then you have those that just change them in their driveways.

Same around here, most places will do a truck for $120 cash, which is a good deal. I do have a gallon of Rust Cure 3000 and the sprayer for it, used it a few times for touch-ups, it's easy to do on my 4-post lift in the garage, but does make a mess....fine mist of oil gets everywhere. Much easier to get take it to get done. If there wasn't a place local though, a home-sprayer is a good option. Most home kits don't have the long wands either, which are important for getting inside of quarter panels, doors, etc.

For the record; I converted from Krown to Rust Check a few years ago, better product IMO, and my local shop is really good. Any oil based spray is way better than nothing though.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #15236 on: September 28, 2021, 02:11:28 pm »
The rack, however, will likely just stay on the car indefinitely.

That is, until you start banging your head on it.

Is it wide enough to carry a canoe?

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15237 on: September 28, 2021, 02:17:52 pm »
The rack, however, will likely just stay on the car indefinitely.

That is, until you start banging your head on it.

Is it wide enough to carry a canoe?

Yes.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15238 on: September 28, 2021, 06:41:33 pm »
Trays are on.  These are 'Aguri' trays from Mick's Garage.  They went on easy enough, but otherwise I'm not impressed with them.  They are finicky to use (the locking mechanism is a bit of a pain), and feel a little flimsy.  They also can't be used with carbon bikes.  (Which happen to be what most of my friends ride). But at least they're aluminium, so they won't rust!

I'll keep my eye out for a decent used pair of Thule or Yakima trays, and relegate these ones to spares.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #15239 on: September 29, 2021, 10:37:16 am »
Maybe I missed it, but why didn't you go for a trailer hitch style one??
Lighten up Francis.....