Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3007005 times)

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #15180 on: September 19, 2021, 09:40:41 am »
Sold the truck.

^this!

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Finalized the order for Mrs. Hire's new 4-year lease... went with a '22 V90 Cross Country B6. Full jam with the 20" wheels, Bowers & Wilkins, Amber Nappa leather massaging seats, and all of the available packages.

We wanted the Maroon-Brown leather, but unfortunately not available with massage. Factory order, car should be here around Christmas.

I thought she was getting an IS500?

IS500 was going to be for me… I still have my allocation but will likely cancel. Can’t justify the spend, especially after the 964 became a thing.

Wife’s wanted a Volvo cross country wagon forever. If that’s what she wants, that’s what she gets considering how much she lets me get away with.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #15181 on: September 19, 2021, 03:20:20 pm »
I'm already shopping for fitted floor mats and a roof rack for the Mazda.

For the floor mats: Huskyliner and Weather tech are the two 'regulars' that jump out at me.  Any others I should be looking at?

What about roof racks?  I'll want to carry at most three bikes or the canoe at any given time.  I'll worry about bike trays later, I'm just looking for the base rack at this time.  Any recommendations?
I have to say...the Maxpider mats I put in the Prius are the best I've ever had
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #15182 on: September 19, 2021, 03:33:04 pm »
Man I could probably flip my Tundra for $10K more than I paid for it a few months ago, it was a great deal. But I like it too much.

Still can't believe I got this for $30K.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #15183 on: September 19, 2021, 05:13:17 pm »
Same with my Boxster IMO

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #15184 on: September 20, 2021, 11:26:32 am »
Same with my Boxster IMO

Yeah, the M Roadster could also net me a profit right now (shhh... don't tell KD  ;D ), but like Rob, I like it too much to part with it right now.

I was speaking with a guy from one of the local Porsche dealerships a week ago and he was telling me that they're buying back 992 911 Turbos from owners for whatever they paid for them new, then selling them for $50k more as a USED car! 

The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #15185 on: September 20, 2021, 11:50:20 am »
yeah our sales manager keeps asking me if I want to sell my XJR...I just can't part with it I like it too much

Porsche prints money for dealerships, easiest sales ever.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15186 on: September 20, 2021, 11:57:33 am »
Fixed the rear tail lights on the boy's Ford EXP. In process of sorting the vacuum lines (worst thing about 80s cars). Idles a little high still but getting there.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #15187 on: September 20, 2021, 12:33:28 pm »
So happy when I changed out the stock octopus on my B2000 with a Weber

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15188 on: September 20, 2021, 01:04:12 pm »
Its fuel injected. But sort of wacky with like seven fusible links in the engine bay. And no documentation anywhere.  ;D

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #15189 on: September 20, 2021, 04:59:36 pm »
The current market is absurdly good if you're the seller. The problem only arises when you need to replace this vehicle that you just sold for a massive profit. Inventory is lean and therefore, you may be waiting months or even up to years. The current wait on a RAV4 Prime is 2+ years.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #15190 on: September 23, 2021, 08:38:38 am »
^^^Welll no need for me to replace the truck, thankfully.  The Mazda will fulfill all duties for the next couple of years.

In that vein, I just ordered a roof rack off MicksGarage.com.  This one: https://www.micksgarage.com/d/roof-racks-and-bars/mazda/mazda-3/3-2013-to-2018/products/3506603-11526/nordrive-silenzio-wing-bars-supplied-with-locks-and-keys
They're similar quality to Yakima/Thule, but half the price.  They're aluminium, so won't rust, and aero bars, so they should be quiet.  I also ordered a couple of these bike trays: https://www.micksgarage.com/d/bike-racks/products/3094480/black-aguri-acuda-ii-roof-mounted-bike-rack-carrier.  Again, similar quality to Thule, but cheaper.  And Aluminium so they won't rust.

It was a no-brainer to go with a roof rack, rather than install a hitch and buy a hitch-mount bike carrier.  I need to be able to transport my canoe, so a roof rack and bike trays are the way to go in this case. 

I was also looking for some floor liners.  At Ron's recommendation, I ordered a set of the Maxpider 3D mats.  It helps that they're a good bit cheaper than the equivalent Weathertech or Husky product. 
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 08:40:19 am by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #15191 on: September 23, 2021, 08:45:12 am »
^^^Welll no need for me to replace the truck, thankfully.  The Mazda will fulfill all duties for the next couple of years.

In that vein, I just ordered a roof rack off MicksGarage.com.  This one: https://www.micksgarage.com/d/roof-racks-and-bars/mazda/mazda-3/3-2013-to-2018/products/3506603-11526/nordrive-silenzio-wing-bars-supplied-with-locks-and-keys
They're similar quality to Yakima/Thule, but half the price.  They're aluminium, so won't rust, and aero bars, so they should be quiet.  I also ordered a couple of these bike trays: https://www.micksgarage.com/d/bike-racks/products/3094480/black-aguri-acuda-ii-roof-mounted-bike-rack-carrier.  Again, similar quality to Thule, but cheaper.  And Aluminium so they won't rust.

It was a no-brainer to go with a roof rack, rather than install a hitch and buy a hitch-mount bike carrier.  I need to be able to transport my canoe, so a roof rack and bike trays are the way to go in this case. 

I was also looking for some floor liners.  At Ron's recommendation, I ordered a set of the Maxpider 3D mats.  It helps that they're a good bit cheaper than the equivalent Weathertech or Husky product.
If you had your time back, would you have bought something different than the Mazda 3, had you known you weren't going to have the Tundra?  Not saying it isn't a great car, just maybe you would have chose something a little more roomy.

So what is going to be the plan going forward for summer vacations?  I know you guys really enjoyed camping in your trailer and obviously that won't be happening now that you are selling the trailer and don't have the Tundra.

Last thing, you said that you'll be fine with one car for the next couple of years, after that do you think you'll be back in a pickup?  I know you mentioned upgrading your trailer for something bigger.  Would one of the new Tundra's be something you'd be high on?

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15192 on: September 23, 2021, 09:14:41 am »

If you had your time back, would you have bought something different than the Mazda 3, had you known you weren't going to have the Tundra?  Not saying it isn't a great car, just maybe you would have chose something a little more roomy.

So what is going to be the plan going forward for summer vacations?  I know you guys really enjoyed camping in your trailer and obviously that won't be happening now that you are selling the trailer and don't have the Tundra.

Last thing, you said that you'll be fine with one car for the next couple of years, after that do you think you'll be back in a pickup?  I know you mentioned upgrading your trailer for something bigger.  Would one of the new Tundra's be something you'd be high on?

All great questions.

1)  Would we have bought something other than the Mazda?  I dunno.  I really, really love driving the Mazda3.  It being a manual helps a LOT with my enjoyment of it.  It's also very nice on the inside.  It also get great fuel economy - better than most non-hybrid larger vehicles.  As far as space, well that's less of an issue than it was in prior years.  As little as 2-3 years ago, my (at the time) teenage stepson would come with us on most of the trips, so we needed enough room in the back for a fully grown adult, and enough cargo space for four people.  Now that he's an adult, he makes the decision to not come on any roadtrips with us.  The wife and I respect that - if he doesn't want to come on holiday with us, we won't force him to.  And his character is such that he 100% just wants to stay home and not travel with us.  The only time we'll go somewhere as a family with four people in the car will be shorter trips in the city, and you don't really need a large, spacious car for that sort of thing.  For road trips (like our upcoming spring trip to Kelowna), it will just be my wife and I, and our 9-year old.  I'll drop one of the 60/40 seatbacks, and we'll have plenty of room for cargo, if we need any extra than just the hatch.  If I really find that I'm hurting for space, well I always have the option of putting a roof box on top of the car. 

2) short-term Summer vacations.  We've already started looking at options for next year.  When we go to Blue Lake, we'll probably rent one of the on-site trailers they have there.  Other trips, we'll look at Yurts, the odd tent camping trip (my daughter has requested we go tent camping sometime).  We are also looking into cabin rentals.  With the extra money we have, we'll also do fly vacations - I really want to head back East to visit my family in NB and Quebec.  A southern sun vacation is also not out of the question.

3)  As long as my spouse continues working from home (looking very likely) we'll be just fine with one vehicle.  We've done it before.  All through our tenure with the Altima, the Grand Caravan, and the Tundra (before we got the Civic) we were a one-vehicle family.  We can definitely make it work.  Now, whether we decide to  buy a new truck/trailer in a few years, remains to be seen.  I guess it all depends on how much I miss camping the way we used to.  A new Tundra would be really, really nice, but damn, they're expensive.  A new Tundra would be quite a bit more expensive than the one I just offloaded.  Maybe I'll get a used one (same gen I just sold)?  Same goes for trailers.  If we get another trailer, we won't mess around.  My wife wants one with a bathroom.  Anyway, that's at least a few years down the road.   We have some time to save money and evaluate options.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 09:19:39 am by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #15193 on: September 23, 2021, 09:25:01 am »

All great questions.

1)  Would we have bought something other than the Mazda?  I dunno.  I really, really love driving the Mazda3.  It being a manual helps a LOT with my enjoyment of it.  It's also very nice on the inside.  It also get great fuel economy - better than most non-hybrid larger vehicles.  As far as space, well that's less of an issue than it was in prior years.  As little as 2-3 years ago, my (at the time) teenage stepson would come with us on most of the trips, so we needed enough room in the back for a fully grown adult, and enough cargo space for four people.  Now that he's an adult, he makes the decision to not come on any roadtrips with us.  The wife and I respect that - if he doesn't want to come on holiday with us, we won't force him to.  And his character is such that he 100% just wants to stay home and not travel with us.  The only time we'll go somewhere as a family with four people in the car will be shorter trips in the city, and you don't really need a large, spacious car for that sort of thing.  For road trips (like our upcoming spring trip to Kelowna), it will just be my wife and I, and our 9-year old.  I'll drop one of the 60/40 seatbacks, and we'll have plenty of room for cargo, if we need any extra than just the hatch.  If I really find that I'm hurting for space, well I always have the option of putting a roof box on top of the car. 

2) short-term Summer vacations.  We've already started looking at options for next year.  When we go to Blue Lake, we'll probably rent one of the on-site trailers they have there.  Other trips, we'll look at Yurts, the odd tent camping trip (my daughter has requested we go tent camping sometime).  We are also looking into cabin rentals.  With the extra money we have, we'll also do fly vacations - I really want to head back East to visit my family in NB and Quebec.  A southern sun vacation is also not out of the question.

3)  As long as my spouse continues working from home (looking very likely) we'll be just fine with one vehicle.  We've done it before.  All through our tenure with the Altima, the Grand Caravan, and the Tundra (before we got the Civic) we were a one-vehicle family.  We can definitely make it work.  Now, whether we decide to  buy a new truck/trailer in a few years, remains to be seen.  I guess it all depends on how much I miss camping the way we used to.  A new Tundra would be really, really nice, but damn, they're expensive.  A new Tundra would be quite a bit more expensive than the one I just offloaded.  Maybe I'll get a used one (same gen I just sold)?  Same goes for trailers.  If we get another trailer, we won't mess around.  My wife wants one with a bathroom.  Anyway, that's at least a few years down the road.   We have some time to save money and evaluate options.
Definitely sounds like some sound reasoning.  The great thing is you can make that decision later and have the freedom to jump if need be.  Like let's say next fall there is a huge sell off of trailers and the prices are WAAAY down, you could probably take advantage of that and buy a cream puff used one.  More than likely by then the prices of used trucks will come back to normal and you can choose to get something that will fit your needs.

Have you had much interest in your trailer?

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15194 on: September 23, 2021, 10:26:54 am »
Definitely sounds like some sound reasoning.  The great thing is you can make that decision later and have the freedom to jump if need be.  Like let's say next fall there is a huge sell off of trailers and the prices are WAAAY down, you could probably take advantage of that and buy a cream puff used one.  More than likely by then the prices of used trucks will come back to normal and you can choose to get something that will fit your needs.

Yeah, had a young couple come by yesterday to look at it, and they made an offer.  I was asking $4800, and told myself $4000 would be the floor.  They offered $4400, which I accepted.  I'm including a few accessories with the sale of the trailer, like the BBQ, chemical toilet, toilet/shower tent, and dining shelter. 

Not bad, considering we paid $2600 for it four and a half years ago.  Other than two new tires, a new battery, and some LED replacements for all the lights, I haven't put any money into the trailer. 

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15195 on: September 23, 2021, 10:44:24 am »

Yeah, had a young couple come by yesterday to look at it, and they made an offer.  I was asking $4800, and told myself $4000 would be the floor.  They offered $4400, which I accepted.  I'm including a few accessories with the sale of the trailer, like the BBQ, chemical toilet, toilet/shower tent, and dining shelter. 

Not bad, considering we paid $2600 for it four and a half years ago.  Other than two new tires, a new battery, and some LED replacements for all the lights, I haven't put any money into the trailer.
Well done sir.  You have certainly done well with selling of your truck and trailer, and got a lot of enjoyment out of both. 

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #15196 on: September 23, 2021, 10:32:15 pm »
I also ordered a couple of these bike trays: https://www.micksgarage.com/d/bike-racks/products/3094480/black-aguri-acuda-ii-roof-mounted-bike-rack-carrier.  Again, similar quality to Thule, but cheaper.  And Aluminium so they won't rust.

Interesting....I've never heard of this company before. Please do give an update after you have everything installed and tested.

Q? Do you have external cabling on the down tube? If so, any concerns about it scratching the crap out of your frame from the clamp?

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #15197 on: September 24, 2021, 12:02:20 am »

Is there enough space/weight capacity on the roof rack to carry a canoe and bikes at the same time? Would you ever need to bring both?
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15198 on: September 24, 2021, 07:40:57 am »
165lbs weight limit.  Canoe is 40-50lbs, bikes are 25-30lbs each.  I have no idea if I'd be able to fit a canoe and two bikes up there.  I think we would choose either bikes or canoe.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #15199 on: September 24, 2021, 08:02:24 am »
Regarding roof racks, I've had good luck getting Thule racks on Kijiji for a fraction of the initial price.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.