Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3007065 times)

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #15140 on: August 31, 2021, 05:22:48 pm »
MPI doesn't work that way.  It's a flat rate regardless of mileage.
You are telling me someone who drives their pickup 50,000kms is paying the same as someone who drives 5,000kms.  That's some BS right there.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #15141 on: August 31, 2021, 05:24:37 pm »
You are telling me someone who drives their pickup 50,000kms is paying the same as someone who drives 5,000kms.  That's some BS right there.

Yeah.  You can choose 'all purpose', or 'pleasure'.  Pleasure means you don't drive the vehicle to work - it's more of a weekend vehicle.  We looked into pleasure, but the discount wasn't worth it.

We just renewed it and looked at all the options when we insured the Mazda
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 05:34:05 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #15142 on: August 31, 2021, 05:35:10 pm »

Yeah.  You can choose 'all purpose', or 'pleasure'.  Pleasure means you don't drive the vehicle to work - it's more of a weekend vehicle.  We looked into pleasure, but the discount wasn't worth it.

We just renewed it and looked at all the options when we insured the Mazda

"Sir, do you drive with pleasure, or rage?"  :rofl2:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #15143 on: August 31, 2021, 10:01:47 pm »
ZL1 makes sense as a next step up.  Do you know how much longer the current generation will stick around?  I think I heard something about 3 more years and then it becomes a sedan, possibly electric?

If I remember right it's your only car and you used your friends turbo Mazda 6 last winter.  Do you think at some point you'll need something more practical, maybe an M3, Caddy Blackwing, etc?  Good on track but still more practical for everyday.

No idea what happens to the Camaro. I think it will stick around as long as the current CT4 and CT5 stick around since they share the factory. Once those two are done(with the V Blackwings being their swan songs), I think Camaro will be in trouble if GM decides to shift to electric, which they likely will. I personally it's "get woke go broke", but that's another can of worms we are not gonna open here.

And nah, I don't need the practicality myself, being a single guy. Having 4 doors is just "lame" to me at this point. Keep in mind that I only used my buddy's Mazda6 because he wanted someone to drive it around a bit and so I took that opportunity. West Coast is warm enough to use an RWD sports car year-round, and especially with me moving to Richmond, a lot of the stuff will be in walking distance, so driving will just be more for fun.

I am cool with just leaving the car in the parking garage when it snows. Even if I have the proper equipment, most people don't have the equipment or skills to drive in the snow, so if you don't wreck anything, others will wreck you or get stuck and make driving a nightmare.

It's really great that you actually use this thing as intended. Well done!

Totally awesome that you're learning how to push it to its limits. Very cool car, and I'm sure you'll appreciate its capabilities even more now!  :)

Thanks guys for the kind words, and yeah, the more I drive it on the track, the more I appreciate the car. And yep, learning to push it in a controlled environment is not only fun, but also safer and cheaper considering how many people do it on the public roads and things go wrong.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #15144 on: September 09, 2021, 10:39:02 pm »
Re aimed the headlights on the merc.

It's been bothering me that I couldn't find the horizontal adjustment before,  and that I seem to have a hot spot right in the middle of the road so,  I took real careful look,  and found the knobs, finally.    It was covered with plastic caps.. now I think I have the right aim.. :D

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #15145 on: September 09, 2021, 10:47:01 pm »
Re aimed the headlights on the merc.

It's been bothering me that I couldn't find the horizontal adjustment before,  and that I seem to have a hot spot right in the middle of the road so,  I took real careful look,  and found the knobs, finally.    It was covered with plastic caps.. now I think I have the right aim.. :D
Instructions please!? My passenger side is pointed out to the right while the drivers side is straight forward.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15146 on: September 09, 2021, 10:59:16 pm »

Exactly!

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #15147 on: September 10, 2021, 12:31:53 am »
LOL,

totally..  i think mine was set cross-eyed which was why the beam was so bad initially.

with LEDs being so much brighter, it covered for the bad beam pattern with wide bright beam. 

but even though i set the height relatively well, i occasionally got flashed by oncoming traffic from low sedans.  i think what happened is that my passenger side beam was pointing to the oncoming traffic instead of straight.

but now i'm pretty confident i have the pattern down good.

Instructions please!? My passenger side is pointed out to the right while the drivers side is straight forward.

of course!!

on the attached first pic, RED arrow is for vertical/beam height adjustment.
BLUE arrow is where horizonta/side to side beam adjustment.

2nd attached image is more close up of first image.  you can kinda see what the height adjustment knob looks like.

3rd attached image is my finger lifting up the plastic cover off the Horizontal adjustment knob.  looks Exactly the same as vertical adjustment knob, just hidden.

for passenger side, counter clock wise rotation of the horizontal adjustment knob takes the beam further out. 
clock wise brings the beam toward the centre of the car
you can turn the knob using either the allen key (looks to be about 7 mm?)  or use Philips head screw driver.  i just used long philips head.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #15148 on: September 10, 2021, 12:38:12 am »
No actual adjustment data??

I like that Lexus gives you this diagram for every car.  Surely there's something for MB??

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15149 on: September 17, 2021, 02:34:51 pm »
Sold the truck. 

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #15150 on: September 17, 2021, 02:41:41 pm »
Woah. Got an offer you couldn't refuse?

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #15151 on: September 17, 2021, 02:44:31 pm »
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15152 on: September 17, 2021, 02:45:12 pm »
Woah. Got an offer you couldn't refuse?

$4500 more than I paid for it brand new, pre-tax.

It makes my heart hurt, yes.  But I have come to the realization that I'm making a huge truck payment every month for a truck that just sits in the driveway. 

I can do so much more with the money.  I've been thinking about it for the past month, ever since we got the Mazda. 

It's been a great 3 years driving 'The beast'. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 02:48:51 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15153 on: September 17, 2021, 02:45:27 pm »

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #15154 on: September 17, 2021, 02:51:02 pm »
Finally! Someone on this forum takes my advice  ;D

Definitely hold on the trans service, at least until 80K or so.

Personally, I'd sell it, sounds like you'd stand to make a bit of $, or at least break-even. You get rid of the monthly payment and insurance - take that monthly money, along with any proceeds from the sale and put it into a TFSA as suggested. Do that for the winter and you'll have a nice bit of cash saved up to buy a good used 1/2 ton. In the long run, you'll be a lot further ahead.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #15155 on: September 17, 2021, 02:51:57 pm »
Wait a minute GBA, you can't claim something has appreciated in value unless it's a Buick  ;D
So what's next?
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15156 on: September 17, 2021, 03:04:44 pm »
Wait a minute GBA, you can't claim something has appreciated in value unless it's a Buick  ;D
So what's next?

Well, what's next is we are back to a one vehicle family.  My wife is confirmed to continue working from home for the foreseeable future, so we really don't need a second vehicle at this time.

We will probably sell the trailer, too.  they're still going for big money, even in the fall.  We've been talking about buying a trailer on a seasonal lot, so we may start looking at those in the next year or two.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #15157 on: September 17, 2021, 03:13:09 pm »
Great time to get into canoe camping!!
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #15158 on: September 17, 2021, 03:15:59 pm »
Makes sense. I've been noticing a LOT of ppl began working from home. I visit ppl at home and all of a sudden they are home in the morning while kids are at school. This was rarely the case in "BC" times  :-\

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15159 on: September 17, 2021, 03:48:01 pm »
I'm AM kinda sad, though.  This IS my dream truck, in my dream spec.  I just had to ask myself, is it worth paying as much as I am just to see it sit in the driveway most of the time?  After much consideration, the answer is 'No'.